• 1 Post By Cuz
  • 2 Post By wango
  • 1 Post By Zenpump
  • 2 Post By kelkel

Thread: Anastrozole and Switching to Injections

Zenpump is offline Junior Member

Anastrozole and Switching to Injections

Two Questions for the forum:

1) I currently use AndroGel for my TRT as many on here know (opinions not needed). I have been happy with it for many years but it does appear cause slightly higher E2 levels than injections. I have never had any symptoms but a clinic doc that I am working with on some other topics suggested adding 0.5 mg of Anastrozole once per week to cut down the E2 some and get more out of my T. This would be a permanent 1/week protocol. Opinions on the Anastrozole?

2) I am considering switching to injections but my Androgel is paid for by insurance and my current prescriber (a urologist) will not give a script for injections - just in-office injections once per week which I do not want to do. Suggestions on getting a proper prescription? My insurance will pay for injections - its just that most clinics require you to purchase the test from them (outside of insurance and at a higher price). My general practitioner "punts" regarding TRT.

Thanks all...

teedoff is online now Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenpump View Post

1) I currently use AndroGel for my TRT as many on here know (opinions not needed). I have been happy with it for many years but it does appear cause slightly higher E2 levels than injections. I have never had any symptoms but a clinic doc that I am working with on some other topics suggested adding 0.5 mg of Anastrozole once per week to cut down the E2 some and get more out of my T. This would be a permanent 1/week protocol. Opinions on the Anastrozole?

2) I am considering switching to injections but my Androgel is paid for by insurance and my current prescriber (a urologist) will not give a script for injections - just in-office injections once per week which I do not want to do. Suggestions on getting a proper prescription? My insurance will pay for injections - its just that most clinics require you to purchase the test from them (outside of insurance and at a higher price). My general practitioner "punts" regarding TRT.

Thanks all...
    I was lucky enough to find a hormone clinic here in NC that does not require me to buy anything through them. Script or no script. I started in the gel almost 4 years ago through my pcp. They gave me the option of gel or injections and I choose the gel. Not clear if they would have been in office injections or not.

Anyway, found this clinic and they've been great. The owner who is a licensed PA is also a body builder, so he's pretty open about aas, peptides and such. He wrote me the script for injectable test, showed me the best prices locally and let me choose. Even gave me a starter bag of needles and syringes. Lol

I've yet to file my new test on insurance as it's pretty cheap anyway. I think I was paying 10 bucks for the gel, 3 months supply. Injections are 10 1ml vials and around 65 bucks depending on coupons at Harris teeter or not.

So all that said. Not sure where you're located, but there are clinics and other Dr's that will write you scripts for self administered trt injections.
    Zenpump likes this.

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Thanks all...
    1: that's a good start with adex, see how that works and then increase or decrease from there. Hard to say exactly; does your gel tell you an equivelant dose to injectable.

2: There are TRT clinics all over the place now (if you are in the US) May take a little research but I'd bet $1 you can find one. I go to my actual doctor 2x a year and his girl takes my temp, weight, and bp....play the game. Then the lab sends me my TRT. Cost's 20 bucks plus the shipping. Or I coud go pick it up from the lab.

Ideally that would likely work for everyone if you can find it.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    From my personal experience its best if you find an hrt clinic that will prescribe you test via self injections. I see mine twice a year now that my dose is dialed in.

If you have that option go for it and come off the gel. I dont like urologist or endocrinologist…I’ve actually had to educate quite a few docs believe it or not some of them are horrible. But ill save writing all that, like said an hrt clinic is the way to go with home injections. You can see how your estrogen runs with some bw to determine whether you need an ai or not if I run my trt dose higher than 200 i have to have an Ai usually.25 adex fixes it quick

You say you have elevated e2 but no sides from it? Not sure that's a bad thing. I also had high e2. Like 95 I think it was when I first started injections. But I was doing 200mg a week and also developed gyno. To confirm, I had a mammogram. I did take arimidex for about 4 or 5 weeks.

Not sure about a permanent additions to your trt protocol especially if you're not having any adverse affects from the high e2 levels.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0922 View Post
    1: that's a good start with adex, see how that works and then increase or decrease from there. Hard to say exactly; does your gel tell you an equivelant dose to injectable.

2: There are TRT clinics all over the place now (if you are in the US) May take a little research but I'd bet $1 you can find one. I go to my actual doctor 2x a year and his girl takes my temp, weight, and bp....play the game. Then the lab sends me my TRT. Cost's 20 bucks plus the shipping. Or I coud go pick it up from the lab.

Ideally that would likely work for everyone if you can find it.
    Ya my gel on insurance is $10 per month on insurance. I have a plethora of clinics around but they are all $99 per month and up for injections. I would love to get a doc that will just convert me over to a script for injections and not require me to buy the T from him at an elevated price (like the clinics).
    Last edited by Zenpump; 05-26-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Ya my gel on insurance is $10 per month on insurance. I have a plethora of clinics around but they are all $99 per month and up for injections. I would love to get a doc that will just convert me over to a script for injections and not require me to buy the T from him at an elevated price (like the clinics).
    You might be able to convince your doctor to prescribe you Tlando instead of the gel. It testosterone undecanote in an oral form. Two capsules a day is all you need. You might also be able to convince your doctor to prescribe you Aveed and even if you have to go in to his office for injections, it'd be 5 visits a year.

Now as far as whether or not your insurance will cover it, it's worth asking. I don't believe they have generics available for either in the US as both are still new brands. But that might be something your doctor would be willing to prescribe, if you don't want to do the androgel and he doesn't want to just prescribe you injectable test E or C.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Didn't you just get through singing the praises of the gel in another thread? Why are you thinking about changing?

I've not heard of topicals causing higher estrogen levels, though dht definitely goes up more.

I would not preemptively deploy an AI, especially if you have been on for a bit without symptoms. What is your sensitive e2 number? Eh, the number doesn't really matter if you are not having symptoms.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't be trying to fix it.

To get a legit script, you could start with a clinic, then switch back to a pcp.
    teedoff and Honkey_Kong like this.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon357 View Post
    Didn't you just get through singing the praises of the gel in another thread? Why are you thinking about changing?

I've not heard of topicals causing higher estrogen levels, though dht definitely goes up more.

I would not preemptively deploy an AI, especially if you have been on for a bit without symptoms. What is your sensitive e2 number? Eh, the number doesn't really matter if you are not having symptoms.

To get a legit script, you could start with a clinic, then switch back to a pcp.
    I forgot about that thread. He's probably just trolling.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Not trolling, just considering all my options. Gel HAS been great.

Not trolling, just considering all my options. Gel HAS been great. Looking around (there are so many options these days) and trying to get my best bang for the buck on all options pharma. Many clinics require you to be on injections with them before they offer other treatments in addition. I am not interested at all in UGLs or the black market so I'm exploring the legit route options/availability

Not trolling, just considering all my options. Gel HAS been great. Looking around (there are so many options these days) and trying to get my best bang for the buck on all options pharma. Many clinics require you to be on injections with them before they offer other treatments in addition. And BTW I never said injections were bad...or that gel was better...just that I have had a great experience with gels up to now

Scorpion0922 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    From my personal experience its best if you find an hrt clinic that will prescribe you test via self injections. I see mine twice a year now that my dose is dialed in.

If you have that option go for it and come off the gel. I dont like urologist or endocrinologist…I’ve actually had to educate quite a few docs believe it or not some of them are horrible. But ill save writing all that, like said an hrt clinic is the way to go with home injections. You can see how your estrogen runs with some bw to determine whether you need an ai or not if I run my trt dose higher than 200 i have to have an Ai usually.25 adex fixes it quick
    SOME of them are horrible? More like 90%

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Wow, $99/month ain’t all that bad actually (that is considering it’s a TRT clinic).

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    Wow, $99/month ain’t all that bad actually (that is considering it’s a TRT clinic).
    I pay 50 bucks when I need to visit for labs at my trt clinic. They have sub plans, but he's never pushed me to sign up for anything. Really great clinic.

FYI, I've mentioned it before, but he does virtual care as well. Not sure the cost of that though.
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by teedoff View Post
    I pay 50 bucks when I need to visit for labs at my trt clinic. They have sub plans, but he's never pushed me to sign up for anything. Really great clinic.

FYI, I've mentioned it before, but he does virtual care as well. Not sure the cost of that though.
    Damn. Maybe times have changed since I had to go to one 8 years ago. Maybe it’s the volume & competition now? But back then it was $200/month. It included BW and an AI. Fortunately my health coverage/endo finally gave in and now I’m covered.
    teedoff likes this.

Damn. Maybe times have changed since I had to go to one 8 years ago. Maybe it’s the volume & competition now? But back then it was $200/month. It included BW and an AI. Fortunately my health coverage/endo finally gave in and now I’m covered.
    Ya just start googling - its quite amazing. They even offer other "treatments" that you would never guess. (Its still hard for me to go from $10 to $100 if I dont have to). That said, I'd like to find the $50 per month guy - thatbis reasonable.

What a country, huh? If you told me 20 years ago I could some day go into a store and buy all the weed products I want while carrying a loaded sidearm and juiced on legal test I'd have thought you were trippin
    wango likes this.

Ya just start googling - its quite amazing. They even offer other "treatments" that you would never guess. (Its still hard for me to go from $10 to $100 if I dont have to). That said, I'd like to find the $50 per month guy - thatbis reasonable.

What a country, huh? If you told me 20 years ago I could some day go into a store and buy all the weed products I want while carrying a loaded sidearm and juiced on legal test I'd have thought you were trippin
    Send me a pm and ill give you the info. Like I said, I'm not sure how he does the virtual care with regards to pricing or whatever. And BTW I don't pay 50 a month. Since he wrote my script a year ago, I go have my labs done there every 6 months and that costs 50 bucks. It's the basic lab panel. You can pat more for more comprehensive labs though. I also send him a message or call when I need a refill, but I can also now do that through my pcp as well. I really have a good setup. Lol

Virtual would of course be different as you'd have to have your labs drawn on your own.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Not trolling, just considering all my options. Gel HAS been great. Looking around (there are so many options these days) and trying to get my best bang for the buck on all options pharma. Many clinics require you to be on injections with them before they offer other treatments in addition. And BTW I never said injections were bad...or that gel was better...just that I have had a great experience with gels up to now
    Fair.

TBH, most of the men that go on TRT would be better served with topicals, cream not gel. That comes with two qualifications. First, they don't want to run anything else - they really are looking for just TRT. Second, they can handle the increased DHT conversion from topical application. If those first two conditions are met, most TRT'ers need never touch a needle.

Saying that to say that if you had good luck with gels, take a look at creams. They can be compounded higher than gels and dry much faster. If I could handle the DHT, I would probably switch back to cream and only inject when I wanted to blast.

Nothing wrong with injections either. I feel good on Test C subq 2x per week. Nice stable levels. I do use HCG regardless of cream or injections, so even with the topical I was still dealing with needles. That, plus the DHT (mine was like 215 with 15-65 being the range) on the cream, and is about half that on injections.
    Zenpump likes this.

Lol, yup a brave new world for sure. But 20 years? 2003 kinda feels like last month to me. When I was a kid we thought by then there would be flying cars and people living on the moon.

BTW, I always responded well to .25 mg. 2x/wk when I was doing TRT initially. I didn’t have “high” E2 levels, nor any sides, but actually thought for me personally I carried a little less fat & water. I don’t use it now because I’m eliminating as many chemicals i ingest so that my liver can focus on all of the alcohol I drink lol.
    Zenpump and Cylon357 like this.

Cuz
    Cuz is online now VET
    Lol, yup a brave new world for sure. But 20 years? 2003 kinda feels like last month to me. When I was a kid we thought by then there would be flying cars and people living on the moon.

BTW, I always responded well to .25 mg. 2x/wk when I was doing TRT initially. I didn’t have “high” E2 levels, nor any sides, but actually thought for me personally I carried a little less fat & water. I don’t use it now because I’m eliminating as many chemicals i ingest so that my liver can focus on all of the alcohol I drink lol.
    Surely you’re joking about quitting trt to drink alcohol?
    wango likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Surely you’re joking about quitting trt to drink alcohol?
    I see the confusion of my post. To clarify, I used .25 mg of an Arimidex originally and now I don’t.

The oral AI may further tax my liver (which btw is just fine, as is my other organs at my age). That’s why I don’t use Var to compliment my TRT as well. Yup, at this stage of my existence, I prefer my booze (not bud lite, lol). If it kills me (although my family background & heredity tells me it won’t), I can drop dead tomorrow a happy man. Tipping back a glass as I type.

My TRT is 60 mg. 2x/wk and my body feels great at that dosage.

Again, apologies for the confusion, but please don’t call me Shirley.
    Zenpump and Cylon357 like this.

Thanks. I think I may just "keep it on hand" and use it when needed. I also don't like to take things for the sake of taking them.
    wango likes this.

kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Again, apologies for the confusion, but please don’t call me Shirley.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aTTP79Cszc
    wango and Cylon357 like this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    Thank you big man. I knew with your reflexes that it wouldn’t go over your head. I wasn’t quite sure about the others though.

OK, let’s see if someone gets that last reference.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Thank you big man. I knew with your reflexes that it wouldn’t go over your head. I wasn’t quite sure about the others though.

OK, let’s see if someone gets that last reference.
    Guilty...
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information