Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Secretion of Hydroxycortisol by Adrenals

Secretion of 6-hydroxycortisol by normal human adrenals and adrenocortical adenomas

Nikolette Szcs, Ibolya Varga, Attila Patócs, Miklós Tóth, Edit Gláz and Károly Rácz,

Gastroenterological and Endocrinological Research Group, 2nd Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Szentkirályi 46, Budapest H-1088, Hungary

Received 21 January 2003; revised 27 March 2003; accepted 1 April 2003. ; Available online 3 June 2003.

Abstract
    Although 6-hydroxycortisol (6OHF) is usually considered a cortisol metabolite produced by the liver, a few reports suggest that it may also originate from extrahepatic sources. To examine whether human adrenal cells are capable of 6-hydroxylating cortisol, we measured 6OHF secretion with a radioimmunoassay method in isolated human adrenal cell systems obtained from three normal adrenals, four nonhyperfunctioning adrenocortical adenomas, two adrenal adenomas causing Cushing's syndrome, and five aldosterone (Aldo)-producing adenomas. Cells were examined both under basal conditions and after stimulation with adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH). In addition, 6OHF concentrations were determined in inferior vena cava and suprarenal vein plasma samples obtained from the side of nonhyperfunctioning adrenal adenomas (five patients) and aldosterone-producing adenomas (five patients). Under basal incubation conditions, 6OHF secretion, expressed as a percent of cortisol secretion, was between 0.5 and 2.0% in normal adrenal cells, between 1.0 and 7% in cells from nonhyperfunctioning adenomas, 12 and 15% in cells from Cushing's syndrome patients, and between 2.6 and 3.9% in cells from aldosterone-producing adenomas. In these cells, increasing doses of ACTH produced a dose-dependent stimulation of both 6OHF and cortisol secretion. The 6OHF concentration in suprarenal vein samples obtained from the side of adenomas was markedly increased; the suprarenal vein/inferior vena cava 6OHF ratios were 13.1±2.1 (mean±S.E.) in the case of nonhyperfunctioning adenomas and 17.8±4.5 in the case of aldosterone-producing adenomas. These results firmly suggest that 6OHF is not only a hepatic metabolite, but also a secretory product of human adrenals and that similarly to cortisol, its secretion may be controlled by ACTH.

Author Keywords: 6-Hydroxycortisol; Cortisol; Human adrenal gland; Adrenocortical adenoma cells; Corticosteroid biosynthesis

Corresponding author. Tel.: +361-266-0926; fax: +361-266-0816.

Rickson is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Thought this one was interesting because a couple of the fat burning drugs we use stimulate the adrenals. Not sure if that would cause an increase in Hydroxycortisol release and subsequently be harmful to muscle growth. Especially in those drugs that we consider to be anticatabolic and use often during Post cycle. Anyone with ideas or theories please throw them in.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickson
    Thought this one was interesting because a couple of the fat burning drugs we use stimulate the adrenals. Not sure if that would cause an increase in Hydroxycortisol release and subsequently be harmful to muscle growth. Especially in those drugs that we consider to be anticatabolic and use often during Post cycle. Anyone with ideas or theories please throw them in.

Jeez Loueez man, I just wrote out a long ass reply to this and my sonofabitchin puter(or AOL) cut me off.

Anyhoo, I basically was remembering a difference of opinion that you and I had on dosing for cutting cycles. My original thoughts being on use of only a small amount for muscle preservation(which I'm not doing now). And you favoring higher dosed cutting phases(which I doubt the cortisol production would be a factor)
    But this actually shines a new perspective on that. If in fact that Hydroxycortisol was produced enough to hinder muscle gain, then a low dose test cycle(1-2cc) might not have the preservation effect needed if multiple fat burners were consumed, and calories were well below maintenance. And especially if T3 was administered.

They're talking .5-2% in normal adrenal cells, but I suppose the question is whats the point at wich a level is reached to hinder muscle gain(or preservation). Individualistic undoubtedly.

Kind of makes me want to experiment a bit with by body. If only I had the means.

Good info Rickson, definitely a point of consideration I'll use in the future.

Thread Information