Think Big is offline New Member

High Intensity Training does it work?

Ive been reading articles about high intensity training ie the mike mentzer system doing one set till failure per movment not exceeding 2 movements per body part then waiting at least 5 days till training again. Does this really work? Anyone out there have any good results using this system?

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

High reps

I have never hit high reps like that and waited several days before going back to the gym. But I have trained using alot of high reps on my bench every other day. The reason was I was training this way was for a repetition bench press competition that we use to hold at our gym every year.(You bench your body weight as many times as you can in your respected weight class) I did this for 3 years in a row about 4 months before each competition date and I wound up with some major pains in my right shoulder the last year that I competed.I thought that I was going to have to have my shoulder looked at by the doctor but fortunalty it healed without having to spend any time away from the gym on it's own. I have to admit that it was really stupid of us to hold this comp. The rules stated that the bar had to touch your chest with each rep and that really puts a strain on your shoulder joints when you lift that way. It was because of this injury that we no longer hold these competeions anymore. If you do anything with high reps, make sure that you are adhereing to strict proper form in the excerise. When you really start to get fatigued your form can really start to get sloppy.
    Later,
    Tobey

P.S. Do any of you have a Wall Mart close to where you live? If so try looking into a product that they carry called OSTEO-FLEX. It aids in repairing the cartledge in all of your joints and if you have any joint injuries you can start to feel the effects in about 3 days after you begin taking it. It has really helped me out alot with my shoulder. I no longer have take it any more but I do swear by the stuff.
    Last edited by Tobey; 08-19-2001 at 01:38 AM.

BIG_GUNS_21 is offline Member
    Everyone is diffrent. I have been doing a metzler/yates style of training for YEARS and never stoped growing. Just get bigger stronger and better!

cleverlandshark2001 is offline Junior Member
    I agree with big guns.
    Mentzer is the one true genius of bodybuilding (rip).
    That heavy duty training is for real, it works for me anyway.

Just to state a fact, Mentzer's training systems NEVER advocated doing high reps, so I don't know where that came from dude.

Not flaming though.

Peace

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    High Intensity? Goes without saying. But you're right about the long layoff between w/outs. Just doesn't seem as though it would work. Hey if Ronnie C is doing it, than everyone should. But I don't think Ronnie works out like that. Ronnie has taking BB to a whole new level.

By the way I heard Ray Mentzer(MIkes brother) passed on too! A terrible loss for the BB community!

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    i always work out to the fullest intensity lol! I go till failure on all of my final sets and i keep getting bigger thicker and stronger! I sure as hell works for me

Yeah, the Mentzer brothers are both gone. What a tragedy.
    Mike had suffered a heart attack and upon finding his brother, Ray shot himself.

What??

Hey Guy's,
    I don't want to be a dick, but are you talking about our Mike? If your are let's drop the conversation right now. Nobody needs to come across this in a post.
    Tobey

Tobey man, you gotta know who Mike Mentzer was! He was a pioneer of great sorts in bb. He used to work alongside Dr. John Ziegler, the man who first developed Dianabol here in the US.
    Mentzer adopted his world-famous training philosophies from applied science and psychology.
    He refers to scientists such as Ziegler, Hans Selye (pioneer in the field of stress research).
    Dude, you need to check up on this Mike Mentzer, he was great.
    And NO, we are NOT talking about Mike from the board.
    Lol!
    Peace Tobey.

Opps

Opps,
    Guess that was my one stupid post of the year, huh guys!

Tobey

CYCLEON Guest
    Guess that was my one stupid post of the year, huh guys!
    Dont worry, im sure there will be more - LOL but you gotta get in line if you want to take my crown for stupid posts

the mentzer bros were pure geniuses as far a BB goes - what i wouldnt give to have their symmetry - before BB got to be such a freak show, they ruled.

HIT is the only way to train IMO - its sound theory and application.

I couldn't agree more Cyclops!!!!!!

Thread Information