Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502

    AAS and Cardio Workouts - Come on have a look!

    I know that cardio isn't always an interesting topic for a lot of BBers. However, I'm curious how many here add (or have added) a cardio routine to their workout while juicing. I'd be interested in hearing what you are (or were) doing for cardio. What did you do? How Often? How long?

    I haven't been doing any serious cardio for a while... I've just been concentrating on my strenght training. However, more than I want to be big/strong, I want endurance and cardiovascular (et al) health too. I see a lot of big bros who cannot do much by way of endurance, which perhaps illustrates their heart-health too.

    Also, I suspect there are also those here who are developing the body that is more representative of a guy on the cover of Men's Health or Men's Fitness (rather than aiming for the cover of FLEX, Muscle & Fitness or whatever...).

    So, what's your cardio while using AAS experience? [What were your gains while doing cardio with the juice?]

    RA

  2. #2
    FrkyBgStok's Avatar
    FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    1,399
    i have not done cardio in the past on juice, but in future cycles i will. i just up the cals on cardio days. I hated the feeling of being out of shape, even though i was muscular. I could barely even walk up the stairs without puffing. I will do at least minimal cardio while bulking.

  3. #3
    Joe Rilla is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    65
    I think that everyone should end their work out with at least a 10 min run on the treadmill or staairmaster if you have bad knees.
    Also , it makes me feel so much better after a workout.

  4. #4
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Great comments FBS and JR.

  5. #5
    johnsomebody's Avatar
    johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,425
    What put the fear in me was reading a post by a huge guy who said he would get winded just climbing into his pickup. I really think gear has a negative effect on your cardio system and it's important to keep it up during and after but that's only my opinion -I can't give you any backup proof of it.

  6. #6
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsomebody
    What put the fear in me was reading a post by a huge guy who said he would get winded just climbing into his pickup. I really think gear has a negative effect on your cardio system and it's important to keep it up during and after but that's only my opinion -I can't give you any backup proof of it.
    Yeah, muscle should be able to be used for more than just "show" or "in the ring" force - which are both ok too - but health and endurance should be on the agenda somewhere.

    It will be interesting to actually read some cardio/AAS routines in this thread.

    RA

  7. #7
    johnsomebody's Avatar
    johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,425
    Yeah, bump for that. All I can recall are lots of posts advising "don't do cardio while on gear".

  8. #8
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsomebody
    Yeah, bump for that. All I can recall are lots of posts advising "don't do cardio while on gear".
    Yeah, my guess is it has to do with losing gains.

    RA

  9. #9
    FrkyBgStok's Avatar
    FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    1,399
    i think it has less to do with losing gains and more to do with utilizing all possible calories to make better gains.

  10. #10
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by FrkyBgStok
    i think it has less to do with losing gains and more to do with utilizing all possible calories to make better gains.
    Which is exactly the same thing.

  11. #11
    Swellin Guest
    If you consider that the added muscle on your frame, does the same thing to your heart as throwing a bunch of bricks in the back of a pick up does to the throttle response...it is easy to see why we need to do cardio to keep the ticker in sink with your frame.

    Joe Rilla mentioned the 10 minutes on the treadmill after the workout, I like that. I also recommend doing 5-10 minutes prior to your workout so you get the blood pumping, and warm up the muscles much better.

    I try to hit the treadmill twice a week, and play tennis 2-3 times a week. Clen is the devil when doing any cardio!

  12. #12
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by swellin
    If you consider that the added muscle on your frame, does the same thing to your heart as throwing a bunch of bricks in the back of a pick up does to the throttle response...it is easy to see why we need to do cardio to keep the ticker in sink with your frame.

    Joe Rilla mentioned the 10 minutes on the treadmill after the workout, I like that. I also recommend doing 5-10 minutes prior to your workout so you get the blood pumping, and warm up the muscles much better.

    I try to hit the treadmill twice a week, and play tennis 2-3 times a week. Clen is the devil when doing any cardio!
    That's good. Tennis is some good cardio bro!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    nor-cal(yay area)
    Posts
    585
    [QUOTE=johnsomebody]What put the fear in me was reading a post by a huge guy who said he would get winded just climbing into his pickup. I really think gear has a negative effect on your cardio system and it's important to keep it up during and after but that's only my opinion -I can't give you any backup proof of it.[/QUote}

    when you get bigger, that just means that the heart has to pump blood to more areas now(more blood vessels), since you just packed on an extra 30 pounds of muscle that you didn't have before. thus, your cardio vascular fitness level could be the same that it was before your cycle but now your heart is forced to work harder to feed your 230lb body mass instead of 200 lbs. hence the reason my fat ass could run a mile faster than ronnie coleman could.

  14. #14
    johnsomebody's Avatar
    johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,425
    That makes sense -but wouldn't it have helped if the guy had been doing cardio all along to help keep his heart in condition?

    Another thing that worried me about not doing cardio is that gear tends to negatively affect your HDL/LDL levels (it did mine) in such a way as to make plaque deposits more likely (lower HDL, higher LDL). Isn't cardio a good way to mitigate that?

  15. #15
    TheMudMan's Avatar
    TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,716
    Depending on my goals on or off cycles I will always do some type of cardio. While doing a bulk cycle it helps me eat more by keeping my bf lower and helps with bloat and cutting cycles it just help me get to my goal easier.

  16. #16
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Depending on my goals on or off cycles I will always do some type of cardio. While doing a bulk cycle it helps me eat more by keeping my bf lower and helps with bloat and cutting cycles it just help me get to my goal easier.
    Sounds good to me Mud, what type of cardio do you prefer and how often and how long?

    Thanks.

    RA

  17. #17
    The Natural's Avatar
    The Natural is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    443
    Ive heard that cardio freshens up the receptors... so thats some really good shit to do!!!

    Next cycle (feb) I am gonna do light cardio for 30mins 3 times a week!

  18. #18
    scottninpo's Avatar
    scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    central nj
    Posts
    1,958
    during a cycle, I like to do an HIIT sprinting program, two times a week, not only is it not boring, but I find it helps with leg strength, helps with those torturous leg workouts

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    nor-cal(yay area)
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by realityarts
    Yeah, muscle should be able to be used for more than just "show" or "in the ring" force - which are both ok too - but health and endurance should be on the agenda somewhere.

    It will be interesting to actually read some cardio/AAS routines in this thread.

    RA
    "in the ring force" that shit requires a lot of endurance and cardio-vascular fitness. go with the wind sprints 3 or 4 time a weeks. they arent that intense and they get you a lot faster and more fit. you will definatley get a lot less winded in every day activity after doing these.

  20. #20
    TheMudMan's Avatar
    TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,716
    Quote Originally Posted by realityarts
    Sounds good to me Mud, what type of cardio do you prefer and how often and how long?

    Thanks.

    RA
    I will hit the recumbent bikes......... If bulking 3 days 20min each if cutting 4 days 30 - 40 mins each........... I guess I'm pretty lucky bulked my bf hit's around 13% so I never have to go nuts and do tons of cardio or cut my cals too hard........

  21. #21
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    I will hit the recumbent bikes......... If bulking 3 days 20min each if cutting 4 days 30 - 40 mins each........... I guess I'm pretty lucky bulked my bf hit's around 13% so I never have to go nuts and do tons of cardio or cut my cals too hard........
    I don't have too much of a prob with fat either. Although, when the fat comes it goes straight to my chest and abs This is due to getting lazy and making a poor food choice here and there - plus not keeping up with the cardio. I'm changing that!

    RA

  22. #22
    Testify's Avatar
    Testify is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Asshole Capitol
    Posts
    1,065
    I agree with mst of what has been said here. I do cardio, and shoot for 3 times a week on or off cycle. Why? Cardio is just good for you. I don't think you lose much mass - and you can always compensate with clean calories. A good cardiovascular system is key to overall health, some mentioned endurance in normal or strenuous activity, as well as blood pressure and cholesterol. All good reasons to continue cardio even when bulking.

    Now, I am not Mr. Cardio, but I do warm up on an elliptical for 5 minutes before every workout. I also do 10-20 minutes post-workout, depending on the day.

  23. #23
    realityarts's Avatar
    realityarts is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hollywood, California USA
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Testify
    I agree with mst of what has been said here. I do cardio, and shoot for 3 times a week on or off cycle. Why? Cardio is just good for you. I don't think you lose much mass - and you can always compensate with clean calories. A good cardiovascular system is key to overall health, some mentioned endurance in normal or strenuous activity, as well as blood pressure and cholesterol. All good reasons to continue cardio even when bulking.

    Now, I am not Mr. Cardio, but I do warm up on an elliptical for 5 minutes before every workout. I also do 10-20 minutes post-workout, depending on the day.
    Well-said, and balanced!

  24. #24
    bigsd67's Avatar
    bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,186
    there's an article on t-mag.com called the running man article....it is different forms of HIIT and they are for all levels of shape. Pick one of the easier ones and give it a shot. it's a good article too.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •