Boston is offline Associate Member

Question Need a little help from the Fina Gurus!

This is my first fina conversion, so bear with me please. When I added the oil to my fina and solvent I did not get real clear seperation like in the pictures. My solution is more cloudy. I do have three layers, just not as distinct as the pictures in the instructions. Is this a problem? The solution of solvent, fina and oil has been sitting over night at this point. Can I go ahead with the draw and filter process now? Or did I do something wrong? The fina was completly dissovled when I added the oil. I had warmed the solvent and fina to speed up the breakdown of the fina pellets by placing the vial in hot water. Am I ok?

jersey juice is offline Member
    Did you pour the entire solutions (dissolved pellets & oil) through a coffee filter? That's what I do and then I draw it up & pump it through the syringe filter. Remember to have the 2cc's of plain oil to the side so you can push out anything that might be trapped in the syringe filter. There is a really great step by step at rippedmass.com tells you everything.

Originally posted by jersey juice
    Did you pour the entire solutions (dissolved pellets & oil) through a coffee filter?...
    According to my instructions... I should not need to use a coffe filter. This is a finakit.com kit.

XsinshineX is offline Junior Member
    I also heated the solution to speed up the process. I didn't use a coffe filter and went straight to the syringe filter. I got a nice mixture of cloudy fina cause the filter didn't get out all the glue and binders. Think it was cause of the heating. Next time I'm going to use a coffe filter before the syringe filter. My biggest mistake was getting excited and rushing it.

XBiker is offline Retired Vet
    Boston, you are fine. I never prefilter my stuff when preparing to feed my cattle.

I usually heat the acetone / pill (step 1) to speed up the breakdown process.

I then add the oil and let it sit for a while. I also heat the oil/dissolved pellet mixture to reduce the viscosity of the oil.

This normally produces three layers, as you wrote.

The oil, the cloudy layer, and the gunky layer.

I draw it up and filter away.

I have the happiest cattle in the neighborhood.

jersey juice is offline Member
    Try the syntholdirect.com kit, no heating, no mess and I can see right through my tren . Nice and gold and clear, just the way ol' Bessie likes it!

Thumbs up Thanks Guys!

This is the best damn board on the planet!

Thread Information