Thread: have u heard

pump man is offline Junior Member

have u heard

dose any one know about prednazone

KeyMastur is offline VET
    prednazone or prednisone (for asthma, skin problems, arthritis, allergic reactions)

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    IT is a very mild steroid no good for BBs...JMO

pump man is offline Junior Member
    ok prednisone my uncle is on it for breathing ,he has got real big

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    prednisone is catabolic bro. not anabolic .

Scorpion is offline Junior Member
    Ahem, okay I'm an asthma expert (had it all my life). Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid - no anabolic effects, but it does give you acne and makes you retain water.
    My dad is always on it and he's really bloated. Basically it sucks for bodybuilding purposes.

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Mini Epistle . . .

The other guys are right - prednisone has no AS value whatsoever.

It's an all-around corticosteroid used for a multitude of medical conditions. Dosages range from as little as 2 mg. per day (for polymyalgia rheumatica) to as much as 200 mg. per day (for the initial onset of multiple sclerosis and other neurological conditions that produce neuropathic symptoms). When taken for medical reasons, you usually hit the peak dose head-on, then taper it down over a specified period. (You should never simply cut out prednisone cold.)

I had the glorious opportunity to take prednisone about 10 years ago when I was hit with a condition called Bell's Palsy, in which the facial nerve (for any medical types, the 7th cranial nerve) swells up in the fallopian canal in the neck. No one knows what causes it, but at the time I had a habit of driving with the car window down in cold weather. Weird condition - your face goes numb on one side because the muscles droop, and you think you're having a stroke. Normal one minute, and a very droopy face within hours.

Anyway, the standard treatment for Bell's Palsy, even though its effectiveness has never been proven, is prednisone - you start with 60 mg. per day, then taper down by 10 mg. every two days until you run the course with the pills.

The point here, however, is to note that prednisone has a shitload of side effects. The main one, as Scorpio noted, is water retention. My weight shot up to 260 lbs., and it was all water weight, along with a very bloated looking face. If you want to gain weight for AS purposes, of course, you want it to take the form of muscle, not water, which obviously cancels out predsone's AS value.

Anecdotal note: Another side effect I experienced was thrush (or what the medical pros call oral candidiasis - a pasty fungal infection on the tongue and a common side effect of prednisone). Since no one told me what the side effects of prednisone were in the first place, I looked up thrush in the Merck Manual, and read that it was "very common in children, but often the first sign of AIDS in adults." After freaking out, of course (even though I was not in a high risk category for AIDS), I dragged my ass down to the local AIDS clinic and got tested for HIV. It was negative, but there was a hell of a lot of anxiety during that "waiting week."

(Ah, what the hell, here's another funny note now that you've got me going. When it comes to AIDS testing, I always recommend that people go to a gay clinic, regardless of their sexual orientation. When it comes to HIV testing, they're simply the most knowledgeable and the most compassionate when it comes to dealing with the average person's anxiety. A few years ago, I did a lecture in, of all places, a Bible college counseling class, and when I made that suggestion I thought people would be offended. It turns out that there was a super-Fundie right-wing pastor in the class whose wife had had a blood transfusion during surgery, they went to a gay clinic for AIDS testing, and this conservative dude agreed with me totally. I almost fell on the floor laughing.)

Anyway, I recovered from the Bell's Palsy, but probably would have done so just as effectively without the prednisone. In many cases, I caution people who have medical conditions that "may" respond to prednisone to weight the benefits versus side effects before they go on a course of the drug, especially at high doses.

But the bottom line, as far as AS is concerned, is: Stay away from this shit. It has no anabolic effect at all.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    TNT is completly right. I've been on predisone for 2 years now for myastenia(nuro condition).It makes you retain alot of water i can still get cut but my fase looks puffy when im on a high dose. Also if you take to much predisone you can get muscle weakness. I was on to much for a while once and the docs didnt know it got so bad i couldnt write more than three sentences. After that i could barely hold the pen. Stay away from the shit unless it is needed for a med. condition and then follow the docs direction to the tee.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool A Prednisone Postscript . . .

I just found the prescribing information for Deltisone, Upjohn's brand of prednisone, on the web. It's at:

www.druginfonet.com/deltason.htm

Here's what's interesting about it . . . Most prescription medications are "indicated" (intended) for one or two conditions. Prednisone is indicated for a slew of medical conditions.

Also, in the "Adverse Effects" section for the drug, most prescription medications list uncommon adverse effects (those that occur in 1% to 2% of cases) in addition to more common side effects (that normally occur in 10-20% of cases). With Prednisone, every side effect is common, and there are side effects out the gazoo.

An interesting read.

Titanium2 is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by bigkev
    prednisone is catabolic bro. not anabolic.
    Exactly!

Prednisone is also prescribed for poison ivy..... It will not make you grow.......

kobiack is offline Banned
    i swear they just hand that shit out for anything.
    i broke out in hives and the doc put me on it for 1 week.
    no sides.

Thread Information