talon is offline Senior Member

Need help proving steroids are safe!

Im doing a debate speech for my public speaking class on the legalization of steroids in sports . Im pro legalization (of course) and I need to present a plan of change (as far as what to do to legalize them and what should be done if they were legalized), along with some very good evidence why they should be legalized in sports (for instance deca will improve the amount of synovial fluid in your joints which leads to less sports related injuries, etc). Please vets, mods, BDTR, anyone who wants to pitch in with websites, documented facts, etc. This is what this site is about. How steroids CAN be used safe and effectively.

adamw1 is offline Associate Member
    The problem your gonna have trying to promote any kind of steroid use is always gonna be media ignorance of the facts (They will tell the people wat they want them to know)and there are always gonna be people who will abuse any kind of drugs,that is wat we need to conquer.More people should be aware of the real facts which can be presented to them on sites like this.It will always be an uphill struugle but good luck to you

Bump

ColdSore is offline Banned
    i agree with adamw1...no matter what you say people will still no eve belive that AS can be safe, and helpfull...i would just choose another topic....normal people just dont understand

DocHoliday is offline Senior Member
    Your best bet is to site clinical trials and successes. Show, demonstrate and prove that it’s clinically safe. Then admit the flaws and politics as to why AS use has been banned and thus the negative bias the media takes.

Like you realized, you’re going to have to suggest a plan in how to monitor its use. It does need monitoring because unlike whey protein, AS can lead to serious complications.

I know I didn’t answer your question and give you links to articles, papers and such, but I thought I’d add that in. Clinical trials are what you should be in search for. If there is a medical school near you call them. Endocrinology/Medicine, anything like that.

Good luck Talon,

Doc

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    I don't think you can be as vague as just saying steroids should be legal in pro sports. It might be better to prove that it should be legal for athletes to use steroids to improve athletic performance or to reduce injuries and etc. as perscription drugs.......It would be helpful to prove that they are currently being used in sports, that any reasonable plan to stop the use in sports will not work, and that it is unfair to honest athletes. also say what the real side effects are and how they are prevented and you can find a lot at places like webmd pubmed medline and other sites....................other that i have to agree with coldstone and adam in that it your not really going to get anywhere trying to convice regular people that steroids should be legal

Fellas, I dont need as much evidence as clinical trials, but more like university studies that say steroids , at a low dosage, are good for you, etc. Im just arguing this to uneducated people. Also, a couple of sites which show studies showing the amount of athletes that use steroids , whether it be football, baseball, etc. I just need as much evidence as anyone can find proving steroids at low dosages are good for you etc.

Quote Originally Posted by talon
    Fellas, I dont need as much evidence as clinical trials, but more like university studies that say steroids, at a low dosage, are good for you, etc. Im just arguing this to uneducated people. Also, a couple of sites which show studies showing the amount of athletes that use steroids, whether it be football, baseball, etc. I just need as much evidence as anyone can find proving steroids at low dosages are good for you etc.

University studies are what I meant by clinical studies. Sorry.

i don't think you will find any university studies about wether low doses of testosterone are good for you unless they are about hormone replacement therapy. Try searching about HRT, also i was emailed a link to a site that had a list athletes that had tested positve for steroids and what not. it had people like carl lewis ben johnson and others.....I see if i can find that site again.

tmeoe is offline Associate Member
    i'd look at that link that Bask8kace put up awhile back, should have plenty of material to reference. Good luck, let us know how your debate goes!

LAGMuXle is offline Member
    I would also mention the REAL reason steroids were made illegal, it was the abuse of the drugs that lead to where they are now. Think about it this way, several people across the board take them safely, wisely, after doing much research. They are not usually the ones that are harmed. It is the ignorant, anxious, uneducated person(s) that would abuse the drugs and lead to themselves only being damaged medically. Of course, keep in mind - when you are debating, you must be wise not to offend your opposing side, so use the words "uneducated" and "abuse" wisely. Definately let us know how it goes though.

MuX

Fellas, do you guy know the link to bask8kaces thread? I remember reading it and its one of the threads Im looking for, thanks.

Oh and thanks for the other advice. Im looking to plan my speech as follows:
    What are steroids ? (explanation)

Why athletes use them.

What are the bad side effects and how they can be alleviated through use of other substances (nolvadex , armidex, liquidex, clomid, etc. I will also show how the media only harps on these side effect and nothing about safe dosage amounts, etc.)

What the good side effects are (this is were I need evidence)

My plan of change. (propose that the athletes that want to involve themselves in the use of steroids do so with doctor regulated safe amounts. This is were I will let people know that its the uneducated athletes that abuse them suffer the concequences).

My opening statement is going to go as follow (any help our revisions of this will be greatly helpful, because I dont have a very imaginative mind):

Imagine the united states consumed with dull sports. Imagine a season were Mark McGuire didnt break the homerun record or most NFL running backs couldnt even run under a 5 second fourty. This is how sports would be without enhancement drugs. Anabolic /androgenic steroids give athletes the edge they need to succeed and excel, why making sports more interesting and intense for you to watch. I think we should legalize the use of anabolic androgenic steroids in sports , so the athletes whom already use these can be doctor regulated and the athletes who are planning on using them can become more educated.
    Last edited by talon; 12-01-2003 at 11:02 PM.

that looks pretty good.............when looking for evidence look for studies about HRT, AIDs, burn victims, wastin diseases, etc. You won't find studies on athletic performance.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    How about personal freedom. If a person chooses to do something to his own body and no one else is harmed does the gov't have an obligation to protect us from ourselves or are we given the right of choice and liberty and thereby personally responsible for any problems?

Markas this true. Thanks for the point. Anything like this helps, as it gives me more to expand on....

the dent depot is offline Senior Member
    This was posted a few days ago, and I really like it.....there should be a few points of interest for you...and dont forget to search the site to credit the chap that compilled it:

http://www.webnor.no/tt/contents.htm#ch3

D

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Now talon, I don't know if this is true but it is an idea I came up with regarding steroids after taking economics. Obviously, there is a lot of money to be made from steroids. I think when people who publically abusing steroids in the 80's and making it look bad that the billion dollar pharmacuetical companys went to congress and lobbyed for making them illegal. Why? There is always more profit in something when there is a black market. Really, how much money could be made by upjohn if steroids were legalized off their product? Drug patents expire after 3 years making drug open to competition from generic companies. I bet a bottle of test would run 10 bucks at a us pharmacy if that stuff was legal. Now, I know there are companies in mexico who have no "real" link to the people who develop steroids but these companies needed instructions t produce the drug. I bet pharmaceutical companies now are banking hard on that **** even if they are domestic and the companies are not. Why would they do this besides money? I bet the govt handed the pharmaceutical companies some money for illegalizing their stuff and also it gives the president one more false idea of the war on drugs. If you ask me, and like I said, it is theory, I think the pharmaceutical companies lobbyed to get it illegalized so their reps wouldn't be tarnished for a few people dying at excessive dosages. Don't know if it helps your paper cause it is not from any documented source but it is an idea maybe you could expand on.

FullBlown is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Doc....I have personally done a single paper that was based around the use of AAS with professional and amateur athelets and the long term effects, whether negative or positive....however, with the clinical(university) studies, theres A TON of information out there for actual clinical setting studies....you will find an enourmous amount of informatoin on what your looking for....do what Doc suggests....you'll be glad you did and you'll find everything you need....

FB

cb25 is offline Banned
    I'd add a little to your argument...try to anticipate their arguments so you can counter them

for instance, when they tell you that steroids causes heart disease, etc...you can balance that, by showing university studies that show no different effects on the heart from regular weight training and weight training with steroid use (search medLine or some other medical journal database for steroids and heart...i've seen the studies before)...

good luck...and post your final argument here if you get the chance...i'd be interested to read, as I'm sure others would be...

Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    I'd add a little to your argument...try to anticipate their arguments so you can counter them

for instance, when they tell you that steroids causes heart disease, etc...you can balance that, by showing university studies that show no different effects on the heart from regular weight training and weight training with steroid use (search medLine or some other medical journal database for steroids and heart...i've seen the studies before)...

good luck...and post your final argument here if you get the chance...i'd be interested to read, as I'm sure others would be...
    Cb25,

I agree because the best debates are done by the people who can anticipate counter arguments and stymie them before they’re brought up. Talon, if you cover all the bases, but don’t spread the paper too thin, you should be good. Best of luck, I would also like to read your final argument.

Thread Information