Tekto is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Pain+Rotator Cuff pain+cycle soon

Sup guys. As you know Im close to start my cycle in december. But I have a problem now, I get a little injured in my rotator cuff. I injured very badly like 7 months ago but it went away with rest (around a week). The pain I feel now its never compared to what I felt when I injured it long time ago but I just feel a little uncomfortable. Yesterday I did back and feel the molesty but I went through my workout. Im taking vioxx prescripted by my doctor. He said to take it for a week and see if the pain is gone. My question is if I can start the cycle even if I have the pain or molesty in the area. I know that deca helps alot in alleviating injuries. Ive been searching if any of the drugs Im going to use in my cycle (Eq, Susta, D-bol, Ari) should help me with that pain but I havent find any info on that. Please give me your thoughts brothers. I can wait to start my cycle, been waiting for along time!

...come on bros! need your help please!

Medicine Man is offline Associate Member
    If I were you I would wait until you were 100% for a cycle, because if you want to get significant gains you want to be able to be 100% dedicated and you cant be with this problem.
    you doctor didnt ask to get an MRI on that shoulder?
    MM

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Worth the Wait . . .

I agree with Medicine Man - it's better to wait until you're at 100% to do a cycle. You did not discuss the specific nature of the injury, but I would also question why the doctor did not explore other options such as MRI or even cortisone injection (which may or may not be indicated). Ditto light exercises to give you more flexibility. (Surprise! Exercise doesn't always mean lifting a hundred-pound set of dumbbells. Sometimes it means lifting nothing in order to increase your range of motion.)

Nonetheless, here's the reason you should wait: Some AS do, indeed, alleviate pain. But that can have the effect of merely masking the pain without healing the injury. In other words, it's like aspirin for a toothache. The pain may be ameliorated, but the injury is still there until you get the cavity filled.

In other words, if you have an injury but can't feel the pain, chances are much higher that you'll abuse the injury and make it worse. If you're going to work out at all with an injury, you may be better working out with the pain so you know how far not to go, how much weight you can push or lift (and how much is too much), and whether you're using the correct form that would prevent further pain. When you worked your back the other day, the pain was actually good - it told you how far you could go, and hopefully you didn't go any farther.

In short, the fact that you still have pain means that your body is trying to tell you something - namely, that this injury is not healed yet. I would hold off on the cycle until it has healed further so you don't end up taking two steps forward and three steps back.

Glen is offline New Member
    I am new here. And I wanted to suggest to this gentlemen maybe checking out a product I sell on my website..I know nothing dot com

TNT

Cool Whoa! Intervention time . . .

Originally posted by Glen
    I am new here. And I wanted to suggest to this gentlemen maybe checking out a product I sell on my website...
    Hmmmmmm . . . Let's see if I understand this.

Glen's contribution here is his third post on this forum. His first post was a brief introduction in which he claimed to have a scientific background (but does not elaborate) and provided his web site address, and his second post was another one-sentence provision of his web site address. All three posts were dated today.

If you go to his web site, you will also find no elaboration of his alleged "scientific background," just a series of informal newsletters and much hype about his "products." (I'm coming to the conclusion that anybody who ever uses the word "product" in a post should be shot - or at least shot up with some ground up pills in sterile water - because all they're really trying to do is sell one. You know . . . a "product.")

I respectfully submit that Glen's post is merely an advertisement, nothing more. It makes no contribution, it provides no information (compared to his web site, which provides lots of claims, but also no information).

Well, what I suggest, FWIW, is that readers check out my second post in the thead titled Who knows?????? (a thread initiated by Vinny) and read the cautionary note about people who make claims and who have products to sell. I call that a vested interest - even a conflict of interest - which does not provide reliable information about the questions we have.

I submit that, based on the evidence, Glen is a hyped up marketing dude who's out to make a buck, is thoroughly unqualified to pontificate on the clinical aspects of AS, and is not reliable as a source of information for treating injuries (the subject of this thread) with his, um, products.

Oh, and Glen, I'll be delighted to take any of this back - if you provide solid information on your so-called scientific background and are, in fact, clinically competent to make your claims and sell your, um, products. Seriously, dude, make a valid contribution here. If you're as good as you hype yourself up to be, surely you can do more than show up to push your - well, you know, products.

- TNT
    Who doesn't have any, um,
    products to sell and
    advocates intelligent
    AS use.

Ah, what the hell - here's a P.S.

One of the most brilliant marketing ploys I ever heard came from the folks at Herbalife (which I do not recommend), who actually aired their sales seminars on infomercials several years ago.

The gist of the presentation was that if a potential customer asked how a product worked, the Herbalife rep would reply, "Well, I don't know about that, but all I can telly yu is that it worked for me and it will work for you. I love it, and you'll love it too."

And that's how they were told to answer every question. No scientific, clinical, or technical information, just a testimonial, "It worked for me, and it will work for you. I love it, and you'll love it too!"

So what have they told you? Nothing. Many claims, but without information or substantiation.

Well, bro's and sis's, we're talking about shooting stuff into our bodies. And when it comes to legal, so-called alternative products, we're talking about stuff that we pop in our mouths and swallow into our bodies.

So I don't know about you, but when it comes to something I'm dumping into my bod (regardless of its delivery method), I want to know more than, "I love it, and you'll love it too." When I see a web site say, "Clinical studies have shown that blah-blah-blah," I want to know the source of those clinical studies. When I read, "Experts attest that our product blah-blah-blah," I want to know the names, qualifications, and affiliations of those experts.

And when someone asks a serious question on a reliable AS forum (and I think that the AR forums are generally more reliable than any of the others out there), I want to read a response that says more than, "Try my product." That doesn't mean that I think Glen should be banned, since I'm against censorship. And Glen actually does serve a purpose - his post is a reminder that we have both an opportunity and an obligation to educate ourselves so we know what we're shooting, what we're popping in our mouths, and what we're drinking. That's what positive AS use is about.

End of sermon.
    Last edited by TNT; 11-22-2001 at 07:05 PM.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    whoa. tell us what ya think TNT!

INTELLIGENT!

OMG TNT! hehe...good post

Thanks for your advice regarding my injury. Hey Im going to have some x-rays tomorrow...arent those the same at the "MRI"?

BTW, I have a new "product" that worked for me....wanna try it?

The original jason Guest
    TNT good post well about Glen sure I agree that is insane Tekto no way you can start a cycle when u have an injury like that th thing is for me im so injury prone just before or just into a cycle cos I put in so much more effort and I have the same this cycle last time I had a rotator cuff injury two weeks in and then had problems couldnt train properly didnt feel happy anll cycle had to work around it consequently didnt get al I could from the cycle this time I have hurt my lower back 2 weeks in so I have took a week off now starting again on monday see how I feel if its not right then I will stop the cycle or totally change my plans but mainly what im trying to say is be safe injuries and cycles dont go together for sure

peace
    Jason

TNT

Cool X-Ray versus MRI . . .

Originally posted by Tekto
    Thanks for your advice regarding my injury. Hey Im going to have some x-rays tomorrow...arent those the same at the "MRI"?

BTW, I have a new "product" that worked for me....wanna try it?
    No thanks on the "product," Tekto. I'm developing a new vanity line called Testomania, about which I don't know a damn thing. But it will do wonders for me, I'l love it, and by God, you freakin' will, too! (Needless to say, campers, this is all tongue-in-cheek.)

Anyway, if you have not yet had an X-ray, that's certainly the first step. (The second step mght be to find a new doctor, who should have ordered up an X-ray first time around.) An MRI is usually done as a second or third step, depending on the nature of the injury.

The difference is that an X-ray uses radiation to produce an image, while an MRI uses a magnet - hence the name, which stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Between the two is a CT scan (pronounced "cat" scan), which stands for "Computerized Tomography," which is closer to X-rays than an MRI in terms of technology.

The X-ray will give you an accurate picture of bone and is especially usful in ruling out (or confirming) fractures. The CT scan gives a more exact image, and the MRI gives the most comprehensive image since it can shoot pictures of anything - bone, muscle, glands, spinal cord, etc. - in layers.

An MRI can be done "with or without contrast," meaning that some MRI's use a contrast die injected, usually intravenously, to highlight the area being examined. A common term for this is a "gad study" or "MRI with gad," with stands for gadolinium, the most common contrast die. (Thus, "with gad" and "with contrast" mean the same thing.)

In the same way that the MRI is more exact than the CT, which is more exact than the X-ray, the MRI is also the most expensive, followed in lower cost by the CT, then the cheaper X-ray. Thus, some health insurers (like HMO's or PPO's) require that an MRI be pre-approved - your doctor prescribes it, then you (or your doctor's office) have to get it approved before having it done.

In terms of technology, you probably remember that the X-ray is like a snapshot - the technician steps out of the room, presses a button, and it's done in a second. A CT scan is done laying on a table which moves under the camera which shoots continualy, and an MRI is done on a moving table that stays still while the machine does its thing; each MRI shot takes anywhere from one to seven minutes, and each MRI "study" (done on a particular part of the body) lasts about an hour. All of the tests are painless, except that the noise of the MRI can be annoying (it's a loud rumbling sound, and if you ask, they'll give you a pair of ear plugs to wear while it's being done - something to consider since, if they do your shoulder, your head will be in the unit).

One restriction you should know about (although it doesn't affcet most people): You cannot have an MRI if you have any metal in your body. The most common prohibition for an MRI is a pacemaker, but you should also report if you have any metal body parts (like if you've ever had a hip or knee replacement or any pins placed in a hip or knee). (Metal dental fillings are generally okay, but you should inform the tech about them anyway.)

One final note: the MRI machines come in two flavors, closed and open. A closed MRI unit is like a long tube - you lay on a table which moves you into the tube. An open MRI is much larger, and people who are claustrophobic feel more comfortable in them. Also, if you are a BB, if you're bulked, or if you are just heavy, you may want to ask for the open unit because your shoulders would likely hit the sides of the closed tube (making it even more claustrophobic). Most MRI centers are free standing (that is, they're not located in hospitals), but not all MRI centers have an open unit. The newest closed units are larger than the earlier tubes, so be sure to check on what type of unit the center you call has. And if you need an open MRI, just call another center - most of them accept the same insurance.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Good read for anyone with a shoulder injury ..I have seen a couple on the board as of late. I am getting a MRI in 3 weeks...I guess I finally lucked out with a Doc that wants to be thourough!

Medicine Man is offline Associate Member
    TNT nice response... all i have to say is what needs to be taken into consideration is all the anatomical aspects of the injury and it needs to be assesed as to whether its actually something severe or not. if you start a cycle sometiems that can hinder the fact there is a problem cause many of these drugs cause fluid retention which lubricates the joints and makes the pain more dull... especially in your shoulder... so you never know... sorry i cant give the best response im at work right now... all i know is that i have seen many a people who go without getting proper treatment on a torn rotator ... please get it fully evaluated and if the action of the dr is to repair it surgically get it done and dont rush the post therapy cause if you do you will need more treatment in the future. as well... let this be a lesson to all of you who dont train your rotator! jk
    peace
    MM

Thread Information