How long is Opened Sterile Liquid (like HCG water) good for?

I'm acustom to saving extra water to split up my HCG , like right now I've saved the better part of 2 of those giant Gonakar's (only 2500 per 10cc vial) to use later to delute my HCG, so that I don't have to do 5000 iu at once, or do 1/4cc shots!
    So my question is, if refridgerated, how long is it good, or does it basically stay good.
    The reason I ask is that I've never let it sit this long, it's been in the fridge since Sept 1st.
    So is it still good, I would think so, but I'm not into infections anymore!

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    is it sealed? if so it should last forever, the only thing you have to worry about is contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    is it sealed? if so it should last forever, the only thing you have to worry about is contamination.
    No, when I got back from Mex, I used the Gonakar's, and kept the left over Water for later, to dilute more when I needed to (if I needed to) but my boys came back fine after Clomid so on again I went!
    So it's been drawn out of once, then immediately refridgerated.

sin
    if its open in the fridge i would toss it. mold and bacteria are everywhere in the kitchen.

if its open in the fridge i would toss it. mold and bacteria are everywhere in the kitchen.
    But it's Such a teeny tiny hole!

sin
    smaller than a bacterium?

smaller than a bacterium?
    Smaller than a moldy piece of Bread....Does that count?

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    If you hae any doubt,
    You could always pasteurize it.
    Either:
    1) boil it in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes @ 15psi (that will get it up to 251 deg F which will kill anything in the bottle)
    Or:
    2) boil it once a day for 3 days in a pan on the stove for 30 minutes. This will hatch any spores at 212 deg F, then kill 'em.

Then you might want to wrap it in a zip-lock bag to keep it somewhat isolated from what's going on inside your fridge . . .

sin
    i agree with you tock, except for the 30min boiling part. since thermophilic bacteria (like those found in yogurt) do really well at high temp, its not going to get rid of them. i think the best thing to do if you want to reuse it is to run it through a watman filter.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree with you tock, except for the 30min boiling part. since thermophilic bacteria (like those found in yogurt) do really well at high temp, its not going to get rid of them. i think the best thing to do if you want to reuse it is to run it through a watman filter.
    ===========

Yah, the whatman filtere is always a good idea, never know what nose hairs or bits of fly turd might be floating around in the solution.

I did a quick check on thermophilic and hyperthermophilic bacteria,
    http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/microbes/thermo.htm
    seems the thermophilic have an upper range of 70 deg C, and the hyperthermophilic can survive up to 105 deg C, which is still above normal boiling. A single bout inside a 15 psi pressure cooker (121 deg C), though, will definitely get the little bastards.

My initial impression, though, is that the hyperthermophilic bugs probably won't be anything to worry about, as bugs like this probably aren't going to be found in yer usual home environment, maybe more around geophysical hot spots (and maybe in a yogurt factory).

But just to re-sterilize something that already had been sterile, and doesn't have much cause to suggest that it's been exposed to very much in the environment, probably just a few simple boilings will do the trick. You could do the pressure cooker and the whatman filter, but I'd think that would be overkill. I wouldn't bother.

Good luck . . .
    --Tock

Thread Information