Matthew Furches is offline New Member

steroids and asthma

has anyone ever heard of steroids aggrivating a respiratory problem like asthma? It has been really hard to breathe for a few days since i stated my first cycle.

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    I've never heard of it but that doesn't mean it can't. What type of medication do you take for your asthma?

JohnnyB

Matthew Furches is offline New Member
    Thats the funny thing, i havent had to take anrymeds in years for it

steadygaining1 is offline Associate Member
    I had a similar problem i have no asthma problems though. i believe it is from teh water retention from starting a cycle. it has taken about 6 weeks but is gradually getting better. i would definatly go to a doctor if you start to have serious problems.SG1

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Is it that you can't breath or are you having shortness of breath? IF it's shortness of breath, your doses maybe to high.

JohnnyB

k_dogg is offline Associate Member

hmm..

when i was young i had very bad ashma problems. hospitalised a few times and my lung collapsed. i was perscribed roids to help with the problem and develop my lungs. not sure about them aggravating the condition though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Furches
    has anyone ever heard of steroids aggrivating a respiratory problem like asthma? It has been really hard to breathe for a few days since i stated my first cycle.
    I seriously doubt Steroids are causing your problem. I believe IMAO's have steroids in them.
    Infact I have been treated for swelling of the Uvula with Steroids, so I doubt that's what is causing you problems.
    JohnnyB is correct on the shortness of Breath and High Dosages.

animal013 is offline Junior Member
    from http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/D...costeroids.htm :
    Corticosteroids are a family of drugs that include cortisol (hydrocortisone)—an adrenal hormone found naturally in the body—as well as synthetic drugs. Though natural and synthetic corticosteroids are both potent anti-inflammatory compounds, the synthetics exert a stronger effect. Oral forms of corticosteroids are used to treat numerous autoimmune and inflammatory conditions, including asthma, bursitis, Crohn’s disease, skin disorders, tendinitis, ulcerative colitis, and others. They are also used to treat severe allergic reactions and to prevent rejection after organ transplant.
    So you guys are talking about corticosteroids being used for inflammation and asthma, not AAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev013
    from http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/D...costeroids.htm :

So you guys are talking about corticosteroids being used for inflammation and asthma, not AAS.
    Correct.
    However I seriously doubt these more Androgenic /Anabolic Propertied Steroids would have any more negative effect than their Cortisol layden Cousins on this particular problem.

ichabodcrane is offline Associate Member
    Don't confuse corticosteroids with anabolic /androgenic steroids ! Completely different.

I wouldn't say "Completely"
    So, are you saying this type of Steroid would negatively affect him in this way?

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I would say completely!!

Corticosteroids (steroids ) are medicines that are used to treat many chronic diseases. Corticosteroids are very good at reducing inflammation (swelling) and mucus production in the airways of the lungs. They also help other quick-relief medicines work better.

The steroids (corticosteroids) used to treat asthma and other chronic lung diseases are not the same as anabolic steroids. Corticosteroids do not affect the liver or cause sterility.

What AS are you currently on?

Doc M

Well if they are truely "COMPLETELY"" different, In Every Sense of the Word, I find it incredibly strange they carry the same name.
    You Could say that Prime Rib and Lobster Tail are "COMPLETELY" different than Doritos and Salsa, and you would find little argument from most people, people believing they are answering out of seemingly obvious common sense, yet they are still both foods.
    A yugo is Completely different than a Hummer (maybe more so than Prime Rib and Doritos) yet are both still Automobiles -
    I mean come on, for cryin' out loud how similar could you have thought I meant them to be!
    Last edited by TheSevnthWarrior; 12-07-2003 at 11:14 PM.

tomp is offline Junior Member
    It could be blood pressure increase or strain on the heart from the AAS (cholestorol or tryglicerides SP...)

Strangely (well maybe not I see it all the time) I originally started out on this reply this morning because over the years I have had swelling of different areas of my airway, most commonly the Uvula, and was treated with coticosteroids, but steroids none the less (however different in structure they may be) thus makes for the reasoning behind me saying that it was doubtful that the steroids he has been taking played any significant role in any swelling of his airway! - That's all! Yet somehow it has become more of a slam for me having the Audasity to link them amongst the rest of the steroid family - And it may very well be the red headed step child of the family, but family none the less.

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSevnthWarrior
    Strangely (well maybe not I see it all the time) I originally started out on this reply this morning because over the years I have had swelling of different areas of my airway, most commonly the Uvula, and was treated with coticosteroids, but steroids none the less (however different in structure they may be) thus makes for the reasoning behind me saying that it was doubtful that the steroids he has been taking played any significant role in any swelling of his airway! - That's all! Yet somehow it has become more of a slam for me having the Audasity to link them amongst the rest of the steroid family - And it may very well be the red headed step child of the family, but family none the less.
    Where are you going with this??

I have read the thread 3 times and don't see anyone slamming you for any of your comments. And your food analogy is still escaping me as to it's relevance. The bottom line is that these compounds operate on the differnet mechanisms. I don't recall anyone saying that the anabolics were definitley causing his shortness of breath. Could they? Yes!! Are they? Well, it's impossible to tell based on the information we have at this point. Ichabod was simply indicating that these two are different in function. I'm not sure why you are getting all worked up..

Doc M

Well, for one, I'm not as worked up as it seems apparently.
    And the food analogy is about as far down as I can break it Bro, I was merly saying that you can have two things that can be considered completely different, yet belong in the same Familia/catergory (hence the Prime Rib/Doritos statement...completely different, yet both foods).
    And Slam apparently is too strong a verb, but rather than critique it's relevance, everyones first thought/comment was "they're completely different"...well I know they different, or we'd all be on them, I was merly saying they ARE steroids , and I didn't think they (even though being different than aas) would cause swelling resulting in him having a restricted air passage, that's it. Next time I guess I won't use so many Bold Font/Exclamation Points.
    I'm cool man??

I was just thinking (after reading my own post) that's the problem with not being able to see each other, if you don't choose your words very wisely, you can easily misunderstood. After reading my own post, if I was not to know how I felt when posting it, I could have taken it as me being "worked up"...but trust me, I would have to be on the negative end of a much deeper more meaningful topic than this to get me riled.
    Sorry for the confusion.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Ok boys chill, as for the post I have gained over 20lbs on my current cycle and have noticed a little more difficulty in breathing because of the water. I have been watching it closely cause hell I surely need good lungs for my job and I don't want to mess them up any more than there already are.

OK, Last time.
    I am Chilled!
    I was never Unchilled!
    HolymisunderstandingBatman!

Thread Information