zx7racing is offline Senior Member

pinched nerve?- online docs, please take a look

i had a motorcycle acciedent about 3 months ago. after words i had problems lifting. shooting pains down my leg, problems bending over or laying down, etc... i went to a chiropractor and he assured me that it was a pinched nerve and that he could adjust me in order to fix it. after 2 months of seeing this "doctor" i am nearly the same as when i first seeked attention.
    what gives? anyone ever had similar symptoms? x-rays were performed and he assured me that i havent ruptured a disc. is this something that is just going to tak time to heal, or should i seek other medical attention..
    thanks for all inputs

heem is offline New Member
    dude same **** happened to me' surgery is the only way and it sucks. you will get small have to stop liffting for a good bit. sorry but thats the way the dice roll bud good luck find the best sports doctor

Txlonghorns is offline New Member
    After two months I am assuming your doctor has ordered an MRI. If he hasnt then you need to find a different doc. I treat these some conditions every day, so it is possible to cure them without going in for surgery. I could not diagnose without an exam obviously, but I would have to say based on what you wrote that you probably do have a disc bulge in the area of L3-S1 and that an MRI would definatly tell you if thats the case. Sounds to me like your doc is running up the bill on you. Basic protocol in your case stipulates that you treat for 2 weeks or 6 visits, and if no significant improvemnt then an MRI is ordered to substantiate your clinical findings.

i gather from your post longhorn that you have experience in the chiropractic/nerve injury area?

to further what i wrote in my earlier post- my doc had only given x-rays which only revealed that i have a shift in my pevis and spine to where my lf is in a postion higher than my rt..

the one thing that i am most confused about is that when lying down i am able to "adjust" or "pop" my pelvis in certain positions to give temporary relief. temporary meaning after i lift my rt leg past a certain degree, i can feel the "adjustment" i made before move back into a painful position? this only leads me to believe that i am suffering from a pinched/misaligned nerve?

pain is not constant, only limiting in range of movement and is constant when lying down in prone or supine positions?

as for the doc i had- he is of no importance. i have since moved to TX and am questioning wheather i should seek another chiropractor or pain relief center..

all experienced replies appreciated!!

Muscleone is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zx7racing
    i had a motorcycle acciedent about 3 months ago. after words i had problems lifting. shooting pains down my leg, problems bending over or laying down, etc... i went to a chiropractor and he assured me that it was a pinched nerve and that he could adjust me in order to fix it. after 2 months of seeing this "doctor" i am nearly the same as when i first seeked attention.
    what gives? anyone ever had similar symptoms? x-rays were performed and he assured me that i havent ruptured a disc. is this something that is just going to tak time to heal, or should i seek other medical attention..
    thanks for all inputs

I had a very similar problem with my lower back. I injured it one day maxing out on dead lifts. I had pain in my lower back that went down into my glute and hamstring. It ended up being a bulging disc. With rest and physical therapy I am back 100%. A good anti-inflamatory will help also. Good luck!

Bump

thats the general area where my pain is.. with my leg fully extended and flexed, i can stretch my toes toward my body- and i get an increadible sharp sensation running down my leg, begining just above my sacral area.
    and like i said- this happened just over 3 months ago now, so i'm becomming more and more concerned that i may need to get medical attention other than a chiropractor.
    rest hasnt been a problem, becasue this injury has kept me from training completley. while at times it seems to be gradually getting better, all i have to do is try and lay down and i get that same shooting sharp pain that i'm growing acustomed to..

Quote Originally Posted by Muscleone
    I had a very similar problem with my lower back. I injured it one day maxing out on dead lifts. I had pain in my lower back that went down into my glute and hamstring. It ended up being a bulging disc. With rest and physical therapy I am back 100%. A good anti-inflamatory will help also. Good luck!

Bump

Muscleone- what kind of pt did you do?

CutUp is offline Junior Member
    zx7racing...
    You sound like me man, I got a pain down m left leg last feb. Thought it was a nerve and didn't see a doctor until may, He did a few streches and ordered an MRI, it revealed two bulging disks, L4 and L5, surgery was the best option for me given my age and active lifestyle (22yrs. old)
    I had surgery in august, not to bad...expensive though. But at any rate, I'm starting back in the weight room in a couple of weeks, fully recovered(hope hope)

In the mean time, try sleeping with a pillow under your knees(if your on your back) or in between your knees(if your on your side)...it helped me a lot, and I still do it, eases the pressure on your spine...good luck, and go see a sports med. Doc. He will probably want an MRI

Thread Information