SonGoku is offline Associate Member

why adolescents shouldn't do roids

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1121070805.htm

Would be nice if they had tried to explain why his research points to the below mentioned statement. What doses are we talking about here and for how long was the steroid administered?? Not trying to ditch this just because I've used steroids just wanna hear the "whole story".
    "Based on this research, Melloni also believes that athletes who abuse steroids may also be inclined toward aggressive behavior long after their drug abuse – and musculature – have waned."

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    interesting in the fact that i thought all the neurons in the brain were present by birth. true that during adolescence there is a period of "synaptic pruning" but this is the loss of neurons, not the creation of new neurons. so how do the loss of seratonin nerve cells affect people when neurons are not actually growing to begin with? anyone know any literature on CNS neurons growing during childhood? i think this is poor science, but ill search some literature today and get back to this post.

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any specific info on neurons and their development, but I can contribute something a professor once told me. He told our class that the brain is not finished developing until one's early 20s.

sin
    i agree with you testify, but developing in the sense that the brain is taking a huge number of neurons that are present at birth, and removing the ones that arent necessary, (ie the brain is focusing its role from learning everything to focusing on those things that have become important). i think the flaw in their research is the assumption that new neurons are forming in the adolescent brain, which i dont think is happening.

The Animal is offline Banned
    if steroids dont cross the blood brain barrier why would there be any long term alteration to the brains chemistry? "roid rage " is said to be an assholes excuse for being one

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Animal
    if steroids dont cross the blood brain barrier why would there be any long term alteration to the brains chemistry? "roid rage " is said to be an assholes excuse for being one
    Steroids do cross the blood brain barrier. That's why your natural testosterone production is inhibted when you're using AAS.. they give negative feedback to the hypothalamus and pituitary.

Don't know to much about the scientific explanation, just thought the article was interesting.

Anyway, Chris are you saying that roid rage is not a myth, that it can be explained????? Just curious.

sin
    so to finish up my initial statement, from everything ive learned about the brain (did neuro research for a couple years) new neurons do not form in humans after birth. new connections are made between neurons, some neurons are lost, and the myelin sheath on some neurons continues to grow. i think their arguement is bunk because they are talking about new neurons being formed. i still believe that young people shouldn't do steroids , but if your going to do science to back that up it should be good science.

Quote Originally Posted by sin
    i still believe that young people shouldn't do steroids, but if your going to do science to back that up it should be good science.

I totally agree!!! I'm lost on this subject So I can't validate the science stuff, just thought that the article might be interesting read for some people on this board.

sin
    it was a good read, but it brings to light the point that people will in general try any scare tactics that they can to keep people from doing steroids . there has been years of pseudo research in the field, with very few non-biased studies to try and determine any real long term effects on the body.

I hear you brother. I have heard so much crap from Anti Doping Danmark (anti doping agency in my country) it's incredible sometimes. Their arguments are very narrow minded and again as you say they use scare tactics to scare people off. Would wish that they would just have an openminded discussion about it. Just makes me angry sometimes because everyone else will believe this crap and thinks you're moron for doing roids, when they donb't know jack **** about it. Well can't do anything about it I guess

Thread Information