indcolts8718 is offline New Member

critique my workout routine please

whatsup people.. 18 years old here, just trying to put on size.. looking to see if my workout routine is ok the way it is or if i need adjustments.. all feedback is appreciated..

Mon = Chest & Cardio
    Tue = Back & Cardio
    Wed = Shoulders & Cardio
    Thu = Legs & Abs
    Fri = Bis & Tris
    Sat off
    Sun off
    - cardio is 25 mins on the elliptical
    - abs and 3 sets of leg raises, 3 sets of the weighted crunch machine, another workout??? (help)
    - is this an ideal split or should i be getting more rest?
    - i do 3 sets for every workout.. usually aiming for 12 - 7 - 3 rep count throughout the 3 sets

CHEST
    Incline Hammer Strength Press
    Flat Barbell Bench
    Incline Dumbell Press
    Flat Dumbell Press
    Machine Flys
    - should i just drop the flys here? reading all over the place that if your looking to grow just stick to pressing as the flys are not as sufficient as pressing

BACK
    Pullups
    Barbell Row
    T-Bar Rows
    Seated Close Grip Rows
    Lat Pulldown

SHOULDERS
    Seated Barbell Military Press
    Hammer Strength Behind The Neck Press
    Seated Arnold Press
    Side Raises
    Shrugs

LEGS
    Barbell Squats
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Standing Calf Raises

BIS
    Barbell Curls
    Seated Alternating Incline Dumbell Curls
    Hammer Curls

TRIS
    One Arm Cable Tricep Pulldown
    V-Bar Pushdown
    Dips

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    I think you should drop a press exercise from shoulders and chest

I would throw in close grip or skull crushers on tris

at the end of the day your workout regiment is good. You just need to eat, and let your body grow as you get older. Stick with it

I would go with 10,8,6. On press and pull exercises I always warm up with a light set then hit 10,10,8 or 6 if I am truly trying to go super heavy.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    If your training naturally, which IMO you should be.... Increasing your frequency would be closer to 'optimal' than this current split.....

Training each body part twice per week will be better for you for now.....

Chest delts tris

Back traps bis

Legs

So that's 3 workout examples..... You could also do an upper/lower split or a push/pull split..... Increasing training frequency is the goal here..... Once a week 'bro' splits are not optimal for the natural trainee
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    On a whole its not to bad. I disagree with base and I think sticking with training your whole body once per week is fine but up the intensity of your workouts, cut down the rest time inbetween sets and look at using some forced reps etc. Your pressing to much in your delt workout IMHO and I would take out one of your pressdowns in your triceps and introduce another mass builder like skull crushers or close grip bench press

Quote Originally Posted by marcus300 View Post
    On a whole its not to bad. I disagree with base and I think sticking with training your whole body once per week is fine but up the intensity of your workouts, cut down the rest time inbetween sets and look at using some forced reps etc. Your pressing to much in your delt workout IMHO and I would take out one of your pressdowns in your triceps and introduce another mass builder like skull crushers or close grip bench press
    My post is based on the fact that protein synthesis actually drops off dramatically for a natural trainer after around the 36 hour mark.....

When using gear the muscle protein synthesis response it actually extended which is almost the opposite to what you may think.... Meaning if your running gear you can actually train more intense and benefit from an extended recovery period since muscle protein synthesis will actually be extended for a longer period (ie. your growing more, for longer)

Basically meaning that after 36 hrs of training a body part your going to be experiencing 'down time' if you don't train it again......

Most decent natural guys and anyone who is an experienced 'expert' in the nutrition/sports science arena will tell you the same..... This is not just my opinion, it's backed with a lot of data....

With training everything twice per week you would have to drop down the volume.... This makes it easier to recover from, gives you multiple growth phases per week and allows you to 'optimise' the muscle protein synthesis responds from training...

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    My post is based on the fact that protein synthesis actually drops off dramatically for a natural trainer after around the 36 hour mark.....

When using gear the muscle protein synthesis response it actually extended which is almost the opposite to what you may think.... Meaning if your running gear you can actually train more intense and benefit from an extended recovery period since muscle protein synthesis will actually be extended for a longer period (ie. your growing more, for longer)

Basically meaning that after 36 hrs of training a body part your going to be experiencing 'down time' if you don't train it again......

Most decent natural guys and anyone who is an experienced 'expert' in the nutrition/sports science arena will tell you the same..... This is not just my opinion, it's backed with a lot of data....

With training everything twice per week you would have to drop down the volume.... This makes it easier to recover from, gives you multiple growth phases per week and allows you to 'optimise' the muscle protein synthesis responds from training...
    I dont agree mate, I personally think training once per week will be great for mass buliding if the sessions are intense enough. Ive transformed many natrual guys who always seem to overtrain by doing the whole body more than once. Each to their own but he needs to train many ways and find out which one his body responds best too. IMHO more is not better especially when natural

I dont agree mate, I personally think training once per week will be great for mass buliding if the sessions are intense enough. Ive transformed many natrual guys who always seem to overtrain by doing the whole body more than once. Each to their own but he needs to train many ways and find out which one his body responds best too. IMHO more is not better especially when natural
    Haha, somehow I thought you wouldn't agree.....

However you disagreeing based on your personal opinion..... I'm only stating a fact that is backed by science and data....

After spending lots of time away from this board recently and doing plenty of research I have completely overhauled my thought process towards a lot of things, nutrition wise and training

Haha, somehow I thought you wouldn't agree.....

However you disagreeing based on your personal opinion..... I'm only stating a fact that is backed by science and data....

After spending lots of time away from this board recently and doing plenty of research I have completely overhauled my thought process towards a lot of things, nutrition wise and training
    Its based off working with many guys and seeing what works lol, to many young natural bodybuilders spend way to much time in the gym and think more is better and from my experience this isnt the right way to progress. Spend the time in the gym productive and make the training sessions more intesne and cut down the work load. We all respond differently and trying many different ways to train and then sticking to what works is the best approach, there isn't one way to train for the best its an individual thing. Get in the gym base and stop reading books then you will start making progress lol do what works for you and not what some book states

Its based off working with many guys and seeing what works lol, to many young natural bodybuilders spend way to much time in the gym and think more is better and from my experience this isnt the right way to progress. Spend the time in the gym productive and make the training sessions more intesne and cut down the work load. We all respond differently and trying many different ways to train and then sticking to what works is the best approach, there isn't one way to train for the best its an individual thing. Get in the gym base and stop reading books then you will start making progress lol do what works for you and not what some book states
    I'm new school Marcus..... I'm open to accept what research has to offer and will take full advantage.....

I'm new school Marcus..... I'm open to accept what research has to offer and will take full advantage.....
    Old school all the way here mate you know that! but one thing doesnt change you learn by trying different things out for yourself, see what works and then applying it.One guy may respond to volume better another may get amazing results from HIT its all about trying what works. One way isn't better than the other way its what works for YOU what matters.

All these schools make my head hurt lol

Lol I know ur old school....

And of all people I knew you wouldn't be up for any 'change' lol

If ever u want to do any research I can point you in a million directions to show u why training body parts twice per week should be closer to optimal for the natural trainee....

Lol I know ur old school....

And of all people I knew you wouldn't be up for any 'change' lol

If ever u want to do any research I can point you in a million directions to show u why training body parts twice per week should be closer to optimal for the natural trainee....
    Why change something what works lol, and I knew you wouldnt listen to your elders,
    One way isn't better than the other way its what works for YOU what matters

Thread Information