Makaveli_786 is offline Junior Member

Latest news in... Tyson tore a ligament in round 1!

Tyson suffers torn knee ligament

Associated Press

7/31/2004

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Mike Tyson tore a ligament in his left knee in the first round of his shocking knockout loss to Danny Williams, his manager said Saturday.

Shelly Finkel said an MRI showed a complex tear of the lateral meniscus, and that Tyson couldn't even walk on the leg Saturday. He said Tyson's ex-wife Monica, who is a doctor, read the results.

``That's why he couldn't throw the right hand the rest of the fight,'' Finkel said. ``I was screaming at him to throw it, but he couldn't.''

Tyson was dominating the first round, rocking Williams with shots to the head, but late in the round motioned toward his knee and grimaced. Finkel said Tyson refused to make an excuse and wanted to continue fighting.

Williams ended up knocking Tyson out with a series of punches in the fourth round that left Tyson sprawled on the canvas. Tyson appeared as if he could get up and continue, but made little attempt to get up.

``In retrospect I wish he had said something and said he couldn't continue,'' Finkel said.

After the fight, Tyson's trainer, Freddie Roach credited Williams with fighting a good fight, but said Tyson was hampered by the injury.

``It's kind of hard to pivot and throw some shots without your left knee,'' Roach said. ``But Danny Williams surprised a lot of us.''

Finkel said Tyson was downcast after the fight, and that it would take some time to decide when - or whether - to resume his career. The fight with Williams was to be the first in a series of comeback fights to help Tyson pay off $38 million-US in debt.

Tyson earned some $8 million Friday night, but would keep only $2 million of that if a bankruptcy reorganization plan is approved. That plan, however, was contingent on Tyson fighting seven times in the next three years, which now appears unlikely.

``We'll have to see how emotionally he's hurt from this as opposed to physically,'' Finkel said. ``We need some time to tell.''

Promoter Bob Arum, who had planned to offer Tyson a four-fight deal worth some $100 million if he looked good, said that deal was now off the table.

For Tyson to continue, Arum said, he would have to fight for a few hundred thousand dollars a fight to build his record back up before becoming a contender again.

``Certainly it's a different Mike Tyson than there was in our estimation last night,'' Arum said. ``If he's going to continue in the ring it's got to be done on a completely different basis. He's got to fight C and D fighters and build his confidence. You can't put him in with legitimate heavyweights.''

Tyson's fight drew a crowd of 17,253 to Freedom Hall, most thinking they would see an early knockout of Williams, whose biggest claim to fame was that he was the former British heavyweight champion.

But, after a shaky first round, Williams fought back and turned the tide late in the third round as Tyson appeared to tire. The fight was a free-for-all, but Williams was stronger and fresher and landed a series of unanswered punches in the fourth round before Tyson went down and the fight was stopped at 2:51 of the round.

``The main thing was to get past the first two rounds and give it to him,'' Williams said. ``I knew he would tire and he did. I just kept punching and punching.''

I knew something was going on, stick it to all the haters

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Excuses......
    So if Armstrong broke his ankle while riding his bike, that means everyone should stop riding and wait for him to feel better.

If 500 pounds comes crashing down on your chest on the 4th rep should the spotter wait for you to complete your 10 reps?

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Only made 8million to lose!!!!! man what happened to back int he day when he made 5-8times more!!!

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    When Joe Fraser Broke Ali's jaw....... Ali didn't quit.......... went on to win....

pussy.............tyson...........
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    i still like mike

LOL since when did a Jaw stop you winning, alright basic knowledge for idiots 101...

Your jaw has no connection to your fist, you can have your jaw removed without aesthetic and still throw a good punch, in boxing balance is everything you cannot throw a punch unless you balance yourself, if you tear a ligament its hard enough standing let alone balancing yourself will thrusting your torso to yourself forward to throw a punch..

I thought this was a bodybuilding forum full of guys who knew about BODIES.. LOL come on man how many members we got who come on here and havent got a clue about bodies, ive met one guy who thinks your jaw effects your punching power and ive been here for TWO days.

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli_786
    LOL since when did a Jaw stop you winning, alright basic knowledge for idiots 101...

Your jaw has no connection to your fist, you can have your jaw removed without aesthetic and still throw a good punch, in boxing balance is everything you cannot throw a punch unless you balance yourself, if you tear a ligament its hard enough standing let alone balancing yourself will thrusting your torso to yourself forward to throw a punch..

I thought this was a bodybuilding forum full of guys who knew about BODIES.. LOL come on man how many members we got who come on here and havent got a clue about bodies, ive met one guy who thinks your jaw effects your punching power and ive been here for TWO days.

Yeah, it's not like you get punched in the face while boxing.

LOL, you get punched in the face ALL the time in boxing but it doesnt stop you punching back or weaken your punching power, man come on this is beyond obvious.

TYSONS IN A WHEELCHAIR!!

I think its over this time I just seen him on the news

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    hey makaveli has some good points, but he came off a little strong

a broken jaw obviously will thow off your game and make you be more defensive

but hurting your knees is worse than hurting your shoulders in boxing, you wouldn't even be able to effectively or properly dodge, tyson needs that mobility to make up for his hieght

anyways, i was impressed with tysons amazing personality change, that in itself was worth watching the fight

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli_786

Your here two days with THAT post count!. I hope your attitude is slightly adjusted in your other posts. Since your in a fighting/wresting/boxing forum we (the regulars) would ask you to treat it like you would your dojo or club please.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah i agree mak,

tone down your posts a bit, especially when it's uncalled for

but i still agree with your point

Cuttup is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KAEW44
    Only made 8million to lose!!!!! man what happened to back int he day when he made 5-8times more!!!

Back in the day he made anywhere from 28 to 54 million per fight....

Thread Information