Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Quil is offline Member

Wanderlei Silva v. Chuck Liddell..your thoughts

Might as well start a thread on this, there'll be a lot of discussion on the subject in the coming months. If Chuck can get past Babalu, this fight will be the most hyped in the history of the UFC, which I didn't think possible after Ortiz/Shamrock II. I personally think that these two are the best 205lb'ers out there right now, and could easily see either one winning. Should be a stand-up war. I want Liddell to win, but realistically I see Wandy taking this.

On another note, where do you guys think this leaves Tito Ortiz? He's gotta be pissed, as he was next in line for a shot after Babalu.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    you could say chuck will win since tito beat silva and chuck beat tito. HOWEVER, tito didnt really trade with silva if i remember correctly and mostly took him down and dominated down there. But chuck wont take silva down, its not his way, plus, the silva and ortiz match was like 5 years ago and im sure silva has gotten better and he has put away plenty of more opponents. So really i dont know who will win.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    I think Wandy will beat Chuck if they fight...his standup and pace will be too much for Chuck. But, Chuck being the counterpuncher can always catch Wandy and KO him...but I still see Wandy winning via TKO.

miguy82 is offline Associate Member
    Another thing... rampage beat the dog piss outta chuck bad and silva beat quinton 2 times tko bad. i def want silva to win, chucks alittle to cocky and thinks he is better than anyone on planet.

anyone who says there gonna knock them out before everyone of there fights imho needs to be ktfo.

WAR SILVA.... also im not a pride nuthugger i rarely even watch it.. .

miguy82 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    I think Wandy will beat Chuck if they fight...his standup and pace will be too much for Chuck. But, Chuck being the counterpuncher can always catch Wandy and KO him...but I still see Wandy winning via TKO.
    Nicely said!!!

also im in metro area!

Quil is offline Member
    Guys, you can't put too much stock in MMAth. The whole "So-and-so beat so-and-so, so this guy should beat this guy" thing just doesn't work that well. There's too many variables. Mir beat Silvia before, so he should be able to beat him now, right? Hell no, Mir is not even in the same area code as Silvia right now, and I am a BIG Mir fan. Just can't use the MMAth logic.

rar1015 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quil
    Guys, you can't put too much stock in MMAth. The whole "So-and-so beat so-and-so, so this guy should beat this guy" thing just doesn't work that well. There's too many variables. Mir beat Silvia before, so he should be able to beat him now, right? Hell no, Mir is not even in the same area code as Silvia right now, and I am a BIG Mir fan. Just can't use the MMAth logic.

Agreed. Ya never know what can/will happen until the fight actually takes place.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    go silva go!

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Belfort beat the piss out of Wandy and Chuck beat Belfort. Chuck will win, I don't think anyone is in his class right now.

juiceboxxx is offline Banned
    I want chuck to win but silvia will take it.

cant waiiiiiiiiiiit for this fight. I'll do anything to watch it.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooners04
    Belfort beat the piss out of Wandy and Chuck beat Belfort. Chuck will win, I don't think anyone is in his class right now.
    Very bad logic... Just horrible.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    Very bad logic... Just horrible.

It's ok, he has'nt been around long enough to realise that MMA math does'nt work, never has, never will.

In that case, Rampage beat the living hell out of Chuck and Wanderlei KO'd Rampage so bad it made him find Jesus.
    ***No source checks!!!***

Quote Originally Posted by sooners04

1998 called...it wants you back.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    didnt they say it was scheduled for november? guess we'll get alot of time to ponder the winner

Smart-tony is offline Member
    It will be a good brawl.

Natty99 is offline Member
    Without soccer Kicks Silva is as about as effective as tits on on a bull

Natty99 is offline Member
    Chuck will KO him fairly easily IMO

TR'05 is offline Member
    There is far more to the Silva game than just "soccer kicks" bro. Chuck could KO Wandy- any fight can go any way, but this fight will be very far from easy for Chuck, ill tell you that much.

skinnyhb is offline Member
    ya, the rule differences might hurt wandy a bit. but i still think it will be a wandy win. though it is extremely interesting that they announced this fight even before chuck and babalu. what happens then if chuck loses to babalu? how does babalu feel about this slap in teh face i wonder? i also wonder if chuck is looking past babalu to wandy and therefore focusing more on standup than ground defense that he will need for babalu?

i also think this is a bad move for UFC. it think it will be a good thing for a one fight thing or the three fights that silva is reportedly goign to do, but when silva beats chuck, its only goign to make the otherwise ignorant UFC fans wonder about Pride fighters.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    It will be one of the UFC's best fights ever, was also the best part of that payperveiw (meaning 61).Man this is why Chucks been training so hard. Wandys the man, first he sign's for the open weight then this, man in a boys world.

Ignorant UFC fans!!!!! Why do you say that? It seems like a lot of the pride fans that ive been somewhat talking to lately are smart asses themselves!!

BG
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhb
    ya, the rule differences might hurt wandy a bit. but i still think it will be a wandy win. though it is extremely interesting that they announced this fight even before chuck and babalu. what happens then if chuck loses to babalu? how does babalu feel about this slap in teh face i wonder? i also wonder if chuck is looking past babalu to wandy and therefore focusing more on standup than ground defense that he will need for babalu?
    I dont think he's looking past Babalu at all, I hope not will be his down fall. Babalu seemed pretty scared last time, hope he's ready this time. One thing going for him, Chuck hasnt been using his kicks as of late LOL.

BG
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhb
    i also think this is a bad move for UFC. it think it will be a good thing for a one fight thing or the three fights that silva is reportedly goign to do, but when silva beats chuck, its only goign to make the otherwise ignorant UFC fans wonder about Pride fighters.
    Most decent UFC fans know Pride has better fighters, but this is the home town version and they are backing thier guy....Chuck, I hope its a sic fight and Chuck wins at the very end, will be nice to have a Pride/UFC riveraly going. Maybe they will start switching fighters more often again . BG

Quil is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rar1015
    Ignorant UFC fans!!!!! Why do you say that? It seems like a lot of the pride fans that ive been somewhat talking to lately are smart asses themselves!!
    Dude, he's right. Most of the UFC fans don't know a damned thing about Pride or its fighters. I spent 10 minutes trying to explain to everyone in the room who Wanderlei Silva was after the fight against Chuck was announced. I was going crazy when they announced it, and everyone else is like "Who is Wanderlei Silva?" Don't get me wrong, I'm sick of the Pride nuthuggery myself, but I don't think that's what skinnyhb was talking about.

I dont think chuck is really gonna have much of a problem with sobral his takedown defense and ground game are getting better and better.

85% of the UFC "fans" are completely ignorant when it comes to MMA and that the world does not revolve around America and the brand name UFC. The crowds at the UFC are typical ****ing morons that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

You got people on here saying Wanderlei will not be as effective without stomps and knees to a downed opponent, little do they realise that Wanderlei has more options as a fighter than Chuck.

Chuck has:

1. Strikes (and eye pokes)
    2. Take down defense

Wanderlei has:

1. Strikes
    2. Knee attacks in the clinch (would'nt normally need to mention this, as it is obvious but people don't seem to know who or what Wanderlei is/can do)
    3. BJJ Black Belt (awesome defense)
    4. Takedown defense (improved since the 2nd Arona fight)
    5. Knees, Stomps & Soccer kicks ***Pride rules***
    6. Psycho Aggression
    7. Cardio Machine

Need i say more?

I can hear it now:

TUF Fans - "Chuck will beat the hell out of that one guy", "Who is that guy", "Chuck was a coach on TUF, he will win", "Did you see Chuck beat up Horn, Vernon White, that guy stands no chance".

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    I can hear it now:

TUF Fans - "Chuck will beat the hell out of that one guy", "Who is that guy", "Chuck was a coach on TUF, he will win", "Did you see Chuck beat up Horn, Vernon White, that guy stands no chance".
    Those are the same people that said Anderson Silva was going to get reamed by that ginger, Chris Leben. I'm sick of them, really.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree with quil about ufc making mistake, its more from a business point of view. especially if silva wins, it can be looked at as pride vs ufc, and its in the ufc event that ufc fans pay for. so if silva wins all the ufc fans who dont know about pride will suddenly become interested and shift their interest from ufc to pride. its almost like silva is a giant advertisement for pride. im not complaining because the fight will be good, and i really dont care about ufc's finances, but just seems like dana didnt really think that through....

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    Those are the same people that said Anderson Silva was going to get reamed by that ginger, Chris Leben. I'm sick of them, really.

Exactly what i mean, they signed Anderson Silva and did no press on him, did'nt even show any highlights of his fights and the TUF crowd did'nt ahve a clue, it makes me want to puke when people thought Leben was a good striker, his striking is god awful and boy did he get tooled by Anderson, could'nt have predicted the fight any better.

What made it better was Leben's comments "After i get through with him, he might wanna go back to Japan where the competition is a little easier". Bwahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    I can hear it now:

Im willing to bet this will go both ways:

Pride Fans- "Wanderlei will beat the hell out of that one guy," Who is that guy," blah blah blah. It goes both ways in my opinion.

Pride Fans- "Wanderlei will beat the hell out of that one guy," Who is that guy," blah blah blah. It goes both ways in my opinion.
    man, im sorry, but i think you are way out of your league on this argument. im not sure if you are aware but chuck fought rampage in pride and the winner was to take on wandy. any pride fan worth anything knows about chuck vs. rampage. maybe im wrong here, but pride fans are generally much more knowleagable than your average UFC fan who can't handle having to watch ground fighting and would rather see blood and KOs and who only know about the big name guys like tito, chuck, ken, randy, matt and rich.

lol PRIDE AGAINST UFC? IS THIS A FUKIN JOKE?

PRIDE WILL EAT UFC 9 OUT OF 10 FIGHTS MAYBE EVEN ALL 10 FIGHTS.

UFC has a bunch a couple strong guys anf thats it inevery weight field.

in 205 they got Chuck Liddle, Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock, Jermy Horn etc...

Pride has too many for me to sit and name.

I'm interested to see this fight cuz it can go either way. You never know what can happen in a fight. Maybe Chuck will land 1 strong punch in its over but it should be interesting to see what Silvia will do cuz he cant knee or do soccer kicks, stumpkicks on the ground.

My money is on silvia but if it some how go's to decision which I doubt they will give it to Chuck.

Quil is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxxx
    lol PRIDE AGAINST UFC? IS THIS A FUKIN JOKE?

PRIDE WILL EAT UFC 9 OUT OF 10 FIGHTS MAYBE EVEN ALL 10 FIGHTS.

UFC has a bunch a couple strong guys anf thats it inevery weight field.

in 205 they got Chuck Liddle, Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock, Jermy Horn etc...

Pride has too many for me to sit and name.

I'm interested to see this fight cuz it can go either way. You never know what can happen in a fight. Maybe Chuck will land 1 strong punch in its over but it should be interesting to see what Silvia will do cuz he cant knee or do soccer kicks, stumpkicks on the ground.

My money is on silvia but if it some how go's to decision which I doubt they will give it to Chuck.
    Typical Pride nuthuggery right here. Yes, Pride has better quality fighters OVERALL. But you shouldn't make as bold a statement as to say that Pride would win 9-10/10 fights against the UFC, especially as strong as the UFC is in the 155, 170, and 185 pound divisions.

By the way, it's SILVA, not Silvia.

Typical Pride nuthuggery right here. Yes, Pride has better quality fighters OVERALL. But you shouldn't make as bold a statement as to say that Pride would win 9-10/10 fights against the UFC, especially as strong as the UFC is in the 155, 170, and 185 pound divisions.

By the way, it's SILVA, not Silvia.
    I'm not what you say but it will go down like how I mentioned.

I could care less who wins who doesnt I'm not a serious fan bro but I seen both of Pride and Ufc fighters and the Pride fighters will come out on top 90% of the times (in my opinion) Ufc has some tough guys but the Pride guys will out top them.

Quil is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juiceboxxx
    I'm not what you say but it will go down like how I mentioned.

I could care less who wins who doesnt I'm not a serious fan bro but I seen both of Pride and Ufc fighters and the Pride fighters will come out on top 90% of the times (in my opinion) Ufc has some tough guys but the Pride guys will out top them.
    I disagree. But that's cool...you said yourself you're not a serious fan.

I disagree. But that's cool...you said yourself you're not a serious fan.
    I watch all their ppv event for both pride and ufc. I follow it here and there the tuf shows etc and know the fighters most of them but I'm not a hardcore fan.

anyway the fight should be amazing cant wait!!!!

I want chuck to take it but I think Silva will be too strong of an opponent for him.

Huh? Wha?

Pride fans know who Chuck Liddell is, Chuck has fought there as well as commentated fights for Pride.

See Pride showed Randy and Chuck respect and let them commentate Pride matches and called them champ etc...Now the UFC is silent as hell about Pride and they would'nt even announce Wanderlei as the champion of Pride, just "A friend of mine".lol

It is no secret the UFC is not that confident in their product when put against DSE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information