fitguy is offline Anabolic Member

boxing and gaining mass

will it interfere with my bulking and mass gains since i am a hard gainer ,i was considering practicing boxing or kick boxing but not sure if it will affect my gains ,anyone?

K.Biz is offline Banned
    well youll be doing a lot of cardio.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    YES... it's going to be hard to keep / gain mass.

fitguy is offline Anabolic Member
    thats what i thought as well,whats a good fighting sport to play that wont halt and even help in gaining muscle mass ??

deehorg is offline New Member

Thumbs up boxing and gaining mass

man i personally box 2 days a week and take taekwondo....all boxin does is shreads u up....it will have nothin to do with gains........ull get extra chizzeled thats all.....keep a high protein diet, eat good and ull gain bettter than everyone else because boxing also tones up existing muscle as well as develops new tissue....trust me im a biologist

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    lol im a biologist too and i disagree

the main thing you have to remeber, is you are burning tons of calories....i do muay thai, but it in the hour workout is burning somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand calories from the references i have always seen, and the way i feel

if you are that worries about it, you could have a high carb high protien drink before and then right after, that should negate most of the cals you just burnt off, however youll find that your metabolism will go through the roof

lifting wise, you will learn soon that you have to adjsust certain things. ie i never squat before the days i know im going to be doing a lot of kicks or recieving a lot of leg kicks..cause it just sucks

personally my opinion, yes it will be hard. there are not too many bodybuilder lookin boxers for a reason. there are some big dudes out there, but then again there are some bid dudes that dont even lift weights

as far as finding a good fighting sport that isnt that tough of a workout, id have to say there isnt one.
    Last edited by Billy_Bathgate; 12-09-2006 at 10:43 PM.

rooster101 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitguy
    thats what i thought as well,whats a good fighting sport to play that wont halt and even help in gaining muscle mass ??
    jujitsu, look at jeff monson, if anything he can at least maintains good mass.
    Last edited by rooster101; 12-19-2006 at 12:57 PM.

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    The old rule of thumb can help here. Take in more calories than you expend.

armbar83 is offline Senior Member
    theoretically if you take in enough calories to offset what is burned during training, meet the caloric/macronutrient needs of the muscle tissue for growth, and your on cycle...you should burn primarily fat tissue and still add quality muscle. that said, i have cycled while training and found it difficult to take in enough calories to achieve the same type of development achieved on previous cycles when i wasnt training and just lifting. its hard because your wrestling and kickboxing a few hours and then go lift each day. your just burning so many calories. IMO as was recommended, i would do bjj and maybe boxing or kickboxing sporadically for cardio.

uponone23 is offline Associate Member
    The nature of a fighting sport is that it is going to be burn alot of calories... Especially in the drills and training regements people go through. You can still do it just don't expect to gain like you would if you were not doing it. Even if you do take in more calories your metabolism is going to go up so you gotta decide if you are willing to trade. I personally can't live without fight training so that's my stand on it....

Thread Information