Patches24 is offline Junior Member

Critique These Training Ideas

Tomorrow May 31 is going to be my last day of supervised boxing practice for a while. I've been doing supervised practice 5-6 sessions per week since the beginning of April, no boxing experience before that. Probably not until late September or early October will I be with an instructor or experienced boxer to do anything.

I want to be able to get right back into the boxing stuff as easily as possible next fall, hopefully having improved in some ways.

Here are my thoughts as to what I already know how to do, have done, would start doing right away unless better ideas come along. I know this is difficult because none of you watch me practice, so you can't judge my weaknesses. Feel free to critique, suggest additions, ask questions, anything.

High Priorities

Jumping Rope - This I would try to do every day. Alternating feet one at a time. Also, that thing where you do one foot two jumps in a row, then the other two jumps in a row, and so on. Just try to greatly extend the number of jumps I can do before a miss. I'm not very good at this right now and the instructor today said I should buy a rope and practice this a lot more.

Running - 4-6 sessions per week. For some reason I my sessions are always 4 or 5 miles, going in circles around a track. Same speed the whole time. I've never gotten creative about this.

Punching a bag - at least 4 times per week. I'd simply repeat the same drills I've already done with instructors, keep my punching muscles working. If I stick with drills about which instructors have already critiqued me, I can continue to follow their guidelines. Speed intervals, power intervals. Emphasis on form, standing correctly, where chin and hands should be, breathing through nose only. Would do with mouthpiece in, to get used to that.

I won't get into my dietary theories here but a very strict diet is probably the highest priority of them all for me.

Lower priorities

Weight Training - 2 times per week. Emphasis on bench press, incline bench press, military press, pull ups, triceps extensions, lateral raises, squats that go down as far as possible, lunges. Whenever possible I use dumbells instead of barbells. I figure, the hands work separately in boxing, so I should lift that way. I have no idea if that's really good reasoning or not, but that's how I do it. Rep range very high, often between 30 and 200 reps per set. I don't do stuff explosively, and try to be strict about form. Rest intervals between sets are very brief.

Ab Stuff - My two instructors have, between the two of them, about 25 different types of ab exercises that we do, on a rotating basis, at the end of every class. I have no idea how functional these exercises really are in boxing. So I don't know how often to do them. I just have no clue how important this is, or which ones would be most valuable.

I often have chances to play soccer recreationally. This might be valuable because it has running, agility involved. Not sure how often though.

Wasting Time on Youtube - Sometimes, I will inevitably waste time on youtube when I am supposed to be getting things done, watching fights from guys who are thought to have been really good boxers. I'd emphasize non-heavyweight boxers, as my weight is only in the 180s right now, and guys who aren't known for having some very untraditional style. Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, Marvin Hagler?. This will keep boxing strategy fresh in my mind.

Any thoughts welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches24
    Punching a bag - at least 4 times per week. I'd simply repeat the same drills I've already done with instructors, keep my punching muscles working. If I stick with drills about which instructors have already critiqued me, I can continue to follow their guidelines. Speed intervals, power intervals. Emphasis on form, standing correctly, where chin and hands should be, breathing through nose only. Would do with mouthpiece in, to get used to that.
    One thing I forgot to add right below this paragraph. Shadow boxing with a light dumbell in each hand. Maybe 3-5 pounds in each hand. Anyone think that's good or bad? Should be a high or low priority?

No replies? Dont tell me we are all keyboard jockeys and spectators at this website!!

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Why dont you just try your routine and see what it does for you, from what i can see it looks very good.

Vader79 is offline Junior Member
    I'd advise altering you running plans. You're not going to benefit much from running the same distance at the same pace everytime. I run 3 time per week: 1 session would be 3-4 mile run, 1 session I'll run up and down a steep hill for 40 mins, 1 session of sprints (warmup then 100m sprint, 1 min rest, repeat until my legs are jelly).

The sprints and hill runs really help develop explosive power in the legs and are the most imporstant aspect of my running.

I have to say that running is my least favorate part of my training, but you'll notice the difference when you get back to the gym.

My only concern for you is that unsupervised punching drills can allow you to develop bad habits and flawed techniques. If possible use a mirror so that you can keep a closer eye on form.

Shadowboxing in my opinion is very important. I do occasionally use light dumbells, I feel that they detract from your movement, but they do help with developing endurance in the shoulders and stop your hands feeling like lead weights at the end of a gym session.

just my 2p
    Last edited by Vader79; 06-01-2007 at 02:58 AM.

Geezy is offline Associate Member
    Looks good to me as well, except the shadowing w/ weights...Ive never liked the idea of it for some reason.

And change up your cardio man, like Vader said--do sprints and intervals.

FRANk THe TANk is offline Associate Member
    Shadowboxing + 5 lb dumbells = hyperextended elbow

Thread Information