drluv is offline New Member

Which discipline for escape,survival,submissions

Would like to know which discipline is best to learn grappling skills and submissions.

More importantly would like to learn how to escape from having someone on top of me, someone choking me from behind(rear choke), 2+ on 1 attacks etc...

Would like to know as 3 cowards attacked me at once and used all these moves on me. Was nearly choked to death and suffered extensive facial injuries.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    three men just randomly attacked you? that snds like a night on whyte ave where i live

FRANk THe TANk is offline Associate Member
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, works amazingly in real life applications, taking into account you wont learn much if any striking in BJJ, but its excellent for tossing around some uninitiated thug, even when your still fairly new to it. My advice tho is to always make your space and run if it's 3 on 1...

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Brazilian Jiu jitsu is the best for the situation you described. BJJ emphasizes the ability to take the opponent to the ground, grappling and submission and submission defense.

However, it wont help you against 3 attackers, but no martial arts will.

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    i would say BJJ too, only because of the large amout of actual sparring that's actually done - pretty much when you leave class, your pretty confident/relaxed about being able to fight, because you know how people work, after wrestling for awhile, you pretty much always feel this sense of confidence (kickboxing takes alot more skill to actually learn the foundation)

I've been a bouncer for a long time now, and BJJ is by far the best, specifically in my job where people are being assholes and you dont really want to hurt them, but you need to control them (of course, you would easily have the skill set to hurt them, much more significantly, in a short amount of time, than a striking art)

Now as far as actual street self-defense, i'd suggest you carry a knife on you wherever you go, i've been in "swarming" situations, and there's really not a whole lot you can do, but the second you pull a weapon *with the aggressive intention on using it*, it'll immediatly stop them from attacking you

ftony is offline Associate Member
    Just remember this..When you pull a knife on somebody be ready for anything,such as getting shot...I Know two people that pulled knives,one of them was getting robbed.He pulled out a knife ,and was killed .Shot two times in the chest.The other was in a fight at a traffic light.Two guys jumped out and started kicking his car,he jumped out with a knife.The guys took off,at least he thought.A few blocks away,the guys pulled up next to him and sprayed the car with a tech9...He is now Parallelized from the waste down...So My advice to you is ,if your going to pull a deadly weapon on somebody, choose one that has more range than a knife...And no matter what you know or how bad you think you are,there's always someone tougher and willing to do things a normal person would never think of doing...Theres some crazy mofo out there...
    Last edited by ftony; 09-15-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Idunno is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ftony
    So My advice to you is ,if your going to pull a deadly weapon on somebody, choose one that has more range than a knife...And no matter what you know or how bad you think you are,there's always someone tougher and willing to do things a normal person would never think of doing...Theres some crazy mofo out there...

+1.

no martial art will realy teach you to defend multiple person attacks.. Krav Maga sounds closest but even that against a moderately trained BJJ practitioner would still get broken off... The deal is this: If it's more than 1:1 and EVEN when it is 1:1 your first option should always be to run. only fight if forced to.

LoneLifter is offline Associate Member
    Being trained in any discipline is going to give you an advantage over someone who is not trained at all. I have studied a few different styles and IMHO say that in a real life situation, the best thing to do is to avoid the conflict at all costs.

BJJ is great, especially for sport like the UFC. In reality, if you find yourself in an unavoidable situation with more than 1 foe, it's not going to help that much. Afterall, if you are attempt a submission such as rear naked choke, triangle, armbar, etc. you will are just leaving yourself open to getting fvcked up by the other guy. Knowing BJJ does pay some major dividends if the fight is taken to the ground (like most are) but the best thing to do would be to get back to your feet ASAP and if you do go for an armbar or knee bar, best to just break the thing and get back up....don't wait for a tap out.

One of the styles I study is Wing Chun, a form of Gung Fu. Not going to see a lot of this style in UFC as the fundamental philosophy surrounding this discipline is not that of competition or glory. The strikes in this style are efficient in ending a conflict and utilize economy of motion, helpful if you find yourself in a situation with multiple foes. Still, this style falls short when the fight goes to the ground. Best to combine with something like BJJ.

Don't know much about Krav-Maga but I imagine there are some inherent limitations there as well, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1. Avoid conflict if you can
    2. Get a good base in one style (preferably one with efficient strikes)
    3. Study a style that will teach you how to handle yourself on the ground, enough so that you can get back to your feet.
    4. Your objective in a fight is to go home to your family and eat dinner....if the other guy's jaw ends up wired shut or his arms are broken....SO BE IT. Don't try to submit someone, punish them to the point where their aggressivenes stops.

Anyway, my 2cents.

-LL

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLifter
    Being trained in any discipline is going to give you an advantage over someone who is not trained at all. I have studied a few different styles and IMHO say that in a real life situation, the best thing to do is to avoid the conflict at all costs.
    BJJ is great, especially for sport like the UFC. In reality, if you find yourself in an unavoidable situation with more than 1 foe, it's not going to help that much. Afterall, if you are attempt a submission such as rear naked choke, triangle, armbar, etc. you will are just leaving yourself open to getting fvcked up by the other guy. Knowing BJJ does pay some major dividends if the fight is taken to the ground (like most are) but the best thing to do would be to get back to your feet ASAP and if you do go for an armbar or knee bar, best to just break the thing and get back up....don't wait for a tap out.

One of the styles I study is Wing Chun, a form of Gung Fu. Not going to see a lot of this style in UFC as the fundamental philosophy surrounding this discipline is not that of competition or glory. The strikes in this style are efficient in ending a conflict and utilize economy of motion, helpful if you find yourself in a situation with multiple foes. Still, this style falls short when the fight goes to the ground. Best to combine with something like BJJ.

Don't know much about Krav-Maga but I imagine there are some inherent limitations there as well, I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1. Avoid conflict if you can
    2. Get a good base in one style (preferably one with efficient strikes)
    3. Study a style that will teach you how to handle yourself on the ground, enough so that you can get back to your feet.
    4. Your objective in a fight is to go home to your family and eat dinner....if the other guy's jaw ends up wired shut or his arms are broken....SO BE IT. Don't try to submit someone, punish them to the point where their aggressivenes stops.

Anyway, my 2cents.

-LL
    EXACTLY...Fighting is just not worth it. Ive never been in a fight outside a boxing ring. Its just too risky. My friend was in a fight two years ago and ended up getting stabbed multiple times in the leg. People dont just fight with their fists anymore. They bring weapons.

ftony is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idunno
    +1.

no martial art will realy teach you to defend multiple person attacks.. Krav Maga sounds closest but even that against a moderately trained BJJ practitioner would still get broken off... The deal is this: If it's more than 1:1 and EVEN when it is 1:1 your first option should always be to run. only fight if forced to.
    That's all I was trying to point out. The post above advised to carry a knife. In my opinion if your going to "carry" crossing that legal line. Might as well carry something that is going to be lethal.. Pull a knife and you can be killed.. The person you pull the knife on may wait for you to leave the bar or leave wherever the altercation occurred. He then will take his revenge 5 friends with bats, a gun, or just run you down with his car. So fight with your hands if you must, avoid the conflict at all cost. But if you pull a deadly weapon be prepared to go all the way...

vote for pedro is offline Associate Member
    I don't know if anyone still reads this but heres my 2 cents. You'll never learn to punch harder than if you take up boxing. Although IMO Thai boxing is more tactical because you have more options on the offense. Next, BJJ is the best for ground fighting. Like everyone else said it's only good for one on one. I have also taken Aikido for a year where it's not quite as tactical as the other 2 but they do have what is called randori which is where they train multiple attackers against one person and the farther your ranked the more attackers your trained against. They also have very good moves to get out of all of the situations stated in the first post. Having trained in all these styles plus Tae Kwon Do I think it's fair to say I have and advantage in the majority of the fights I may get in. (which is not a lot) Even still it is still very scary when it does happen and I would rather look like the wimp who walked away than risk a lucky shot that knocks me out and leaves me at the mercy of an attacker. That's my opinion
    Last edited by vote for pedro; 09-17-2007 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to type something

abombing is offline Associate Member
    I think krav-maga is the most realistic discipline for street survival. Doing a jump guard or flying arm bar is not the brightest thing to do on concrete, although BJJ does teach the slickest submissions. I was teaching a grappling class and I had a great krav-maga teacher in my class. I had a knee ride on him and he said "I can bite your balls from here." I would never think to bite another man's balls, but seems like an effective tactic. As far as escaping, parkour seems like the best. It is like street skating minus the skate board. It is classified as a martial art, but instead of the fight is focuses on the flight.

vote for pedro is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up Good point

Yeah Krav Maga is a great way to defend yourself from what I've seen of it. I've never had any training though so I couldn't recommend it until I try it. But from the videos I've seen it looks like it would work great. As far as parkour... I have just recently seen it on the James Bond movie and also saw a documentary on it. It looks like a lot of fun. I wish I knew a place that taught it around the Houston area.

Quote Originally Posted by vote for pedro
    I don't know if anyone still reads this but heres my 2 cents. You'll never learn to punch harder than if you take up boxing. Although IMO Thai boxing is more tactical because you have more options on the offense. Next, BJJ is the best for ground fighting. Like everyone else said it's only good for one on one. I have also taken Aikido for a year where it's not quite as tactical as the other 2 but they do have what is called randori which is where they train multiple attackers against one person and the farther your ranked the more attackers your trained against. They also have very good moves to get out of all of the situations stated in the first post. Having trained in all these styles plus Tae Kwon Do I think it's fair to say I have and advantage in the majority of the fights I may get in. (which is not a lot) Even still it is still very scary when it does happen and I would rather look like the wimp who walked away than risk a lucky shot that knocks me out and leaves me at the mercy of an attacker. That's my opinion
    I agree. Muay Thai is an incredible form of standup. But you're right. If you want to learn how to punch, go to boxing. Nobody will teach you better. BJJ is incredible for ground fighting as well.

Logan13 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ectomorph28
    EXACTLY...Fighting is just not worth it. Ive never been in a fight outside a boxing ring. Its just too risky. My friend was in a fight two years ago and ended up getting stabbed multiple times in the leg. People dont just fight with their fists anymore. They bring weapons.
    And you have the gall to question "who would win in a fight" in another thread when you have never been outside a boxing ring? Please...........
    Thank you for the laugh.

brite is offline New Member
    You should look into Sambo, a russian martial art for escape, survival and submissions. It's very much like mma. Fedor is world champion in this sport

I have a third degree black belt in Sambo and took second at the nationals. The sport of Sambo is a lot like Judo with slightly different rules. Not really suited for street survival. It was initially invented for police to joint lock guys in Russia because a police baton doesn't work well against someone wearing a big jacket. I still think Krav-Maga is the most efficient, also because yo can become proficient in it fairly quickly where most martial arts take years to actually be able to use in a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan13
    And you have the gall to question "who would win in a fight" in another thread when you have never been outside a boxing ring? Please...........
    Thank you for the laugh.
    You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I said its not worth getting into a fight because people just dont fight you fairly anymore. They have their buddies there, weapons etc...

We werent arguing about who would win in a fight. In fact MMA would win in MMA and a boxer would win in boxing. The issue here is that neither of those sports EQUATE TO A REAL FIGHT. MMA(UFC) is tailored to ground fighting. Some situations BJJ, wrestling are impractical in a real fight, whereas some situations standup skills are impractical. That the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by abombing
    I have a third degree black belt in Sambo and took second at the nationals. The sport of Sambo is a lot like Judo with slightly different rules. Not really suited for street survival. It was initially invented for police to joint lock guys in Russia because a police baton doesn't work well against someone wearing a big jacket. I still think Krav-Maga is the most efficient, also because yo can become proficient in it fairly quickly where most martial arts take years to actually be able to use in a fight.
    Sambo is an incredibly effective martial art in MMA. Both Arlovski and Fedor have backgrounds in Sambo.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It's the fight in the dog, not the dog in the fight...lol, I know that's pretty corny and unoriginal, but I always like the way that sounds.

Anyhow, back to the thread of 3 on 1... I agree with most of the posts above... and the one I agree with the most is to get out of that situation without confronting it... if you resort to biting, or knives, or guns, then you can expect the same in return... no training style will help you beat 3 at once.. unless it is 3 wimps that never fought in their life i guess. i know if it was me and three of my freinds I doubt any opponent would have a chance... I have been jumped a few times before and it was always good to give a few shots back and get one opponent to back up, but you get attacked from all angles, cant do much except get in a ball and try and protect your self or run....Both times it was more than 3 guys on me though...just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ectomorph28
    Sambo is an incredibly effective martial art in MMA. Both Arlovski and Fedor have backgrounds in Sambo.
    I agree, Sambo is extremely effective in MMA.

Thread Information