BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member

Calzagne defeats Kessler

Man I've been a Calzagne hater, but last night against Kessler he showed me a lot. Fight reminded me of Mayweather/DeLaHoya. Kessler was the puncher but Calzagne just pick him apart with masterful combinations. Great fight and props to Calzagne!!!

britbb is offline Junior Member
    Course joe was gonna beat kessler...hes joe calzaghe. He has far too much boxing skill and ringcraft for anyone in supermiddle and probably light heavy and any challenger that wants to come up from middleweight aswell.

Dont mean to be rude, but after seeing calzaghe's fights for years now, knowing his class and how he has totally picked apart 75% of his opponents with his class and beaten every one of them, it was obvious to me hed beat kessler (who is a great fighter btw, but calzaghe is just a special fighter). Only once in a while does a fighter come along with great class and ringcraft, ali was one, roy jones at his peak was another although he never fought the big names except hopkins and avoided joe. Mayweather is another. Although we might see floyd being beaten by ricky hatton next month.

So whats next for joe calzaghe? Well undoubtably there will still be the doubters and critics who will say he could lose to hopkins...lol, calzaghe will beat hopkins and will beat pavlik (after pavlik has his rematch with taylor which pavlik will win, as taylor is overrated)...i say joe should fight and beat both hopkins and pavlik...to totally silence any american doubters he still might have...and then even bang out winky wright if he has time aswell.

Calzaghe will prob only have 2 more fights and he will beat both of his next opponents and end his career at 51-0. He will be one of the greatest boxers ever, possibly the greatest super middle weight ever and totally wiped the floor with anyone who stood in his path...but he will still have some doubters because thats the way it is really these days.

Even ronnie coleman from 2003 has doubters lol...the greatest physique on a bodybuilding stage, totally unbeatable to date was ronnie in 2003 yet he still had the doubters aswell

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    By far the best super middle wieght around and as u say probably the best light heavy .. i bet clinton woods was cringing while commentating .. as he said last year hed end joes carreer haha.

Whats next : hopkins wouldnt know what to do with joe .. but would fill madison square... RJJ didnt he fight on some none show bill back some months ago ? Anyway he got no chance ... Jermain taylor been blown out ... i say Tarver

BTW kessler was awsome as well

It's obvious you have a hometown bias for Joe. So I'm not going to debate his merits with you. I was just stating my opinion. Joe to me has been a pitter patter type fighter who never really fought anyone. Kessler was his biggest challenge and he destroyed him and Kessler is no joke. Whether you agree with my assessment of Calzagne or not really doesn't matter to me. I was simply giving the cat his props for finally defeating a worthy opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    It's obvious you have a hometown bias for Joe. So I'm not going to debate his merits with you. I was just stating my opinion. Joe to me has been a pitter patter type fighter who never really fought anyone. Kessler was his biggest challenge and he destroyed him and Kessler is no joke. Whether you agree with my assessment of Calzagne or not really doesn't matter to me. I was simply giving the cat his props for finally defeating a worthy opponent.
    Thank you he does deserve props

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by britbb View Post
    roy jones at his peak was another although he never fought the big names except hopkins and avoided joe.
    You forgot to add Steve Collins

Im not runnign Joe down, he has proved he has the tools, but...

i cant honestly say i like boxing any more (too much bull),

i didnt watch the fight so i cant really comment, i read the cards and from what i read, Joe didnt have it all his own way. Then again i think for a guy who has 2 titles he aint gonna just be walked all over, I see that Joe scored points when it mattered and his fitness pulled him through more than anything, i think he is in the highest physical condition, this being his strong point. I think against a hard fighter who will not let him move around the ring and take his time he will be in trouble. But i guess due to politics and the lack of good super middle wieghts he has a hard time of finding this sort of fighter.

I heard that Kessler is a good fighter but not a huge puncher or high class boxer, and the only reaosn him being a champion is the fact of lack of tallent in that weight. I really feel that the middleweight divisions are lacking unlike the 80's and 90's.
    I think Joe would have had a harder time had he been mid way thourhg his career 10-15 years back

Never the less he has proved he is the best in the world, i do like him as a fighter, he has shed that cocky attitude he came in to the ring at 11 years back, fair doos to him, but i still think he has had his fights picked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Odpierdol_sie! View Post
    Im not runnign Joe down, he has proved he has the tools, but...

i cant honestly say i like boxing any more (too much bull),

i didnt watch the fight so i cant really comment, i read the cards and from what i read, Joe didnt have it all his own way. Then again i think for a guy who has 2 titles he aint gonna just be walked all over, I see that Joe scored points when it mattered and his fitness pulled him through more than anything, i think he is in the highest physical condition, this being his strong point. I think against a hard fighter who will not let him move around the ring and take his time he will be in trouble. But i guess due to politics and the lack of good super middle wieghts he has a hard time of finding this sort of fighter.

I heard that Kessler is a good fighter but not a huge puncher or high class boxer, and the only reaosn him being a champion is the fact of lack of tallent in that weight. I really feel that the middleweight divisions are lacking unlike the 80's and 90's.
    I think Joe would have had a harder time had he been mid way thourhg his career 10-15 years back

Never the less he has proved he is the best in the world, i do like him as a fighter, he has shed that cocky attitude he came in to the ring at 11 years back, fair doos to him, but i still think he has had his fights picked for him.
    check kesslers record record you will see he can punch also and also box.

Secondly did you watch the commentating from uk or us ... you will see a huge statement through an american reporter .. he said the likes of hopkins , jones , tarver and many other big names have looked at contracts but none have ever signed ... hes held world belt for 11 yrs beating eubank .. are you saying eubank wasnt a class 90's boxer ? .. joe beat him at the beggining of his career meaning eubank would have had alot of experience .. Joe beat him over 12 rounds. That sums up he hasnt been spooned fed its the other boxers in the world.

Apart from that Hopkins want to fight joe now for his belts .. Hopkins wants more money in his front garden.

And it looks like Joe / Warren have called his bluff . so lets see what happens now.

Quote Originally Posted by Box This* View Post
    check kesslers record record you will see he can punch also and also box.

Secondly did you watch the commentating from uk or us ... you will see a huge statement through an american reporter .. he said the likes of hopkins , jones , tarver and many other big names have looked at contracts but none have ever signed ... hes held world belt for 11 yrs beating eubank .. are you saying eubank wasnt a class 90's boxer ? .. joe beat him at the beggining of his career meaning eubank would have had alot of experience .. Joe beat him over 12 rounds. That sums up he hasnt been spooned fed its the other boxers in the world.

Apart from that Hopkins want to fight joe now for his belts .. Hopkins wants more money in his front garden.

And it looks like Joe / Warren have called his bluff . so lets see what happens now.
    Yeah Kessler can do both but not on the scale of what will really challenge a boxer such as Joe. In the 80's - 90's boxers had a much harder time of it.
    Keeping a title was not as easy back then, and also gettign the unification was harder too, this being proved by Joe having to wait till lastyear to face a current champ. 9 years is way too long, When Collins was champ he only id it to force Jones to Unify against him, being promised contract after mandatory defence time and time again, Collins even was threatened with a restraining order from jones because he was calling his house telling he was going to go round there if he didnt sign.
    Im not gonna harp on about Collins he is long gone, but look at his record and jones, wen they were middle weights collins wont a title jones moved up straight after, then same in super middle weight, hen collins was talking fo going to Light heavy jones was talking of going to heavy. Im not running the game down but this to me SUCKS!!!

On Eubank he only fought Joe coz it was a vacant title and collins had pulled out of the fight.
    On joe beating Eubank, eubank had lost 2 hard battles with collins and had 12 months out moved up to Cruiser and fought to hard fights with Carl Thompson.

Sorry to say it but Eubank was the last real character of the division. after joe took the title it was writen that it was his to keep.

Robin reid a paper champ, never really did much except put Joe to go, Reid also turned a unification down with collins when he was WBC champ, Collins even publicly taunted him after a fight saying that if he cant have jones he wants Reid and called out to the crowd as Robbin was in the crowd watching that night (come on robbin lets have it! lets have a big pay day) but that never came off either.

If you are champ and you have a good champ against you who has proved himself you should be made to fight!!!!!

Joe's saving grace is that he has been hands down better than anyone else in the division, all i was saying is that it wouldnt have been the case a few years back.

Calzaghe has even said he wishes he was round in the days of Eubank and Benn, Watson, McClellan Close, Collins even to an extent Malinga and Reid.

Name 5 decent world class competitors of the past 10 years? each of the ones named above would have battered them senseless.

when Jones would actually agree on fighting Collins he was pricing his out by asking stupid money like 3 million etc.

Typical of Hopkins wanting a Calzaghe fight now, nothing to lose really big pay win lose or draw.

But yeah lets see what happens now, i hope it comes off, fighters like Joe deserve the respect of fellow fighters. Like i said he has proved himself worthy, its disgusting that he doesnt get to fight the so called "Big Names". But then again its just history repeating its self

C'mon fellas, let's not diss othe fighters in order to prove your fighters greatness. Roy Jones didn't duck Joe, Joe would only fight Roy in England. Similar to what Hatton was requesting from Mayweather for years. Check the reports. Remember that this isn't toughman, prize fighters fight for just that... prize. Why should RJJ fight Joe on his home turf when foreign fighters tend to get lopsided victories on their home turf all the time. At RJJ's peak, HE was the draw not Joe, so it was RJJ's terms that weren't accepted by Joe camp, not the other way around. Let's not diminish RJJ's accomplishments or Hopkins accomplishments in order to boost the credibilty of your own fighter.

C'mon fellas, let's not diss othe fighters in order to prove your fighters greatness. Roy Jones didn't duck Joe, Joe would only fight Roy in England. Similar to what Hatton was requesting from Mayweather for years. Check the reports. Remember that this isn't toughman, prize fighters fight for just that... prize. Why should RJJ fight Joe on his home turf when foreign fighters tend to get lopsided victories on their home turf all the time. At RJJ's peak, HE was the draw not Joe, so it was RJJ's terms that weren't accepted by Joe camp, not the other way around. Let's not diminish RJJ's accomplishments or Hopkins accomplishments in order to boost the credibilty of your own fighter.

where is this report about joe rejecting the contract ? or is it hear say

where is this report about joe rejecting the contract ? or is it hear say
    I will go with the latter.

I aint flaming Roy but..

Thulani Malinga, Roy knocked him out in 6 rounds in August 93.

In 1996 Melinga beat Nigel Benn on a split decision to take the Super Middle WBC,
    Benn fought 2 further fights totalling 10 rounds and he got totally destroyed by Collins.
    This was about the time Colllins was "threatened" with a restraining order against Roy.
    After the second fight with Benn, Collins was promised a title match with Jones.
    Now im not quoting dates coz i cant remember exactly but i know for a fact that jones took a step up to Light heavy on short notice to fight Mike McCallum less than 3 weeks after the Collins benn 2 fight.

If you go back even further to when the 2 were both middle weights you see it happens again in very similar fashion.

May 94 both boxers win versions of titles in middle weight division.
    Nov 94 Jones moves up to fight for a title at super middle weight.
    March 95 Collins moves up to super middle to fight Eubank.

THAT SAYS IT ALL!

Im not flaming Roy, but look at it this way.
    you are in a division of fighters,
    you are classed the best in the world,
    one man is standing in your way of becoming great and shutting up every critic world wide.
    what do you do? do you have a go at unifying the titles against a man who is at his peak and destroying all comers or do you go up a weight at short (2weeks so we are told) notice and fight a guy (mike McCallum) who beat the man (Steve Collins) on points some years before (Feb 90) when the fighter (Steve Collins) has 2 days notice for the fight?

Joe is in the same boat as Collins was.
    Look at the lacy fight, the man who was meant to destroy Calzaghe, what happened to him? how many fights does it take to force a fight with the so called "best in the world"

As far as i see it, Jones has dodged fighters. To a lesser extent maybe. BUT... when Collins was talking of retiring in 97 Jones was offering to come down a weight? Saving face maybe???

Lastly i dont think anyone can argue with this, the facts don't lie, you can believe all the papers you want but the facts DO NOT LIE.

Yeah maybe Roy was great, but in many a fans eye he is no where near as great as he could have been if only he had stepped up, but then again why go and commit suicide?

Calzaghe like Collins would have fought Jones anywhere on earth.
    He simply just didn't have the balls to have a go and was protected by the politics that is ruining a great sport.

Last edited by Box This*; 11-14-2007 at 07:27 PM.

I will go with the latter.

I aint flaming Roy but..

Thulani Malinga, Roy knocked him out in 6 rounds in August 93.

In 1996 Melinga beat Nigel Benn on a split decision to take the Super Middle WBC,
    Benn fought 2 further fights totalling 10 rounds and he got totally destroyed by Collins.
    This was about the time Colllins was "threatened" with a restraining order against Roy.
    After the second fight with Benn, Collins was promised a title match with Jones.
    Now im not quoting dates coz i cant remember exactly but i know for a fact that jones took a step up to Light heavy on short notice to fight Mike McCallum less than 3 weeks after the Collins benn 2 fight.

If you go back even further to when the 2 were both middle weights you see it happens again in very similar fashion.

May 94 both boxers win versions of titles in middle weight division.
    Nov 94 Jones moves up to fight for a title at super middle weight.
    March 95 Collins moves up to super middle to fight Eubank.

THAT SAYS IT ALL!

Im not flaming Roy, but look at it this way.
    you are in a division of fighters,
    you are classed the best in the world,
    one man is standing in your way of becoming great and shutting up every critic world wide.
    what do you do? do you have a go at unifying the titles against a man who is at his peak and destroying all comers or do you go up a weight at short (2weeks so we are told) notice and fight a guy (mike McCallum) who beat the man (Steve Collins) on points some years before (Feb 90) when the fighter (Steve Collins) has 2 days notice for the fight?

Joe is in the same boat as Collins was.
    Look at the lacy fight, the man who was meant to destroy Calzaghe, what happened to him? how many fights does it take to force a fight with the so called "best in the world"

As far as i see it, Jones has dodged fighters. To a lesser extent maybe. BUT... when Collins was talking of retiring in 97 Jones was offering to come down a weight? Saving face maybe???

Lastly i dont think anyone can argue with this, the facts don't lie, you can believe all the papers you want but the facts DO NOT LIE.

Yeah maybe Roy was great, but in many a fans eye he is no where near as great as he could have been if only he had stepped up, but then again why go and commit suicide?

Calzaghe like Collins would have fought Jones anywhere on earth.
    He simply just didn't have the balls to have a go and was protected by the politics that is ruining a great sport.
    That's simply not true. Everything you posted in based on slanting events to support your theory. That's fine, you're a Calzagne fan. If Joe would have fought Joe anywhere on earth tell me how many fights have Joe had outside of the UK. As a matter of fact when Joe fought Jeff Lacey, Jeff Lacey was the recognized champ, but he HAD to travel to the UK to fight Joe. But for all your posting, recognize the fact that every since fighting toney, RJJ had trouble making 160-168. His greatness was already established (in the eyes of most fans), his goal was to win titles in more divisions than any other boxer in history, including winning a convetted Hvy wt title (which he did). Joe has never been on the boxing radar screen until recently so RJJ made the best decision for him. If you think he's a chicken shit, that's your opinion. RJJ I'm sure doesn't care because he's a sure fire hall of famer and will go down as one of the greatest.

That's simply not true. Everything you posted in based on slanting events to support your theory. That's fine, you're a Calzagne fan. If Joe would have fought Joe anywhere on earth tell me how many fights have Joe had outside of the UK. As a matter of fact when Joe fought Jeff Lacey, Jeff Lacey was the recognized champ, but he HAD to travel to the UK to fight Joe. But for all your posting, recognize the fact that every since fighting toney, RJJ had trouble making 160-168. His greatness was already established (in the eyes of most fans), his goal was to win titles in more divisions than any other boxer in history, including winning a convetted Hvy wt title (which he did). Joe has never been on the boxing radar screen until recently so RJJ made the best decision for him. If you think he's a chicken shit, that's your opinion. RJJ I'm sure doesn't care because he's a sure fire hall of famer and will go down as one of the greatest.
    Before i get started, im not a Calzaghe fan. To be hoenst i hate the guy and would love to seem him on his arse.

None of my evidence is a slant on the truth, it is cold hard fact!!!
    Why move up 3 weight divisions if there is a champion who fights in yoru division wanting to fight you? wouldnt it make sense to ust fight and get it over with before moving up?

Jones never ever fought a fight that he was billed as an underdog or was surrounded in controversy of possibly losing. Calzaghe has, and proved his critics wrong, me included.

Before i get started, im not a Calzaghe fan. To be hoenst i hate the guy and would love to seem him on his arse.

None of my evidence is a slant on the truth, it is cold hard fact!!!
    Why move up 3 weight divisions if there is a champion who fights in yoru division wanting to fight you? wouldnt it make sense to ust fight and get it over with before moving up?

Jones never ever fought a fight that he was billed as an underdog or was surrounded in controversy of possibly losing. Calzaghe has, and proved his critics wrong, me included.
    One word, brotha: Money!!! No one had heard of Collins or even Calzaghne at that time. RJJ knew the big money fights were at hvywt. He and the majority of boxing afficionadoes at that time didn't think there were any challenges for Roy at any wt class, except for hvywt.

True jones never faces being the underdog, but that was never the appeal of RJJ. He was never billed as a warrior. RJJ's appeal was his tremendous athletic ability. No one really went to see Jones tested. We awed at his athleticism and his ability to totally destroy opponents. Similar to the appeal of Micheal Jordan, no one really cared if the Bulls won, they just wanted to see Mike score. Again, Jones was a smart PRIZEFIGHTER he took the opportunities that offered the greatest chance at financial success. Nothing wrong with that, he didn't need to prove his toughness because that wasn't his concern. Again, he wasn't a toughman, he is a prizefighter.

Joe proved me wrong as well. But since he's only fought one real fighter of some promise, I can't put him in the category of RJJ. He doesn't overwhelm fighters or doesn't awe people the way RJJ did. He's still a good fighter though, there's no denying that.

One word, brotha: Money!!! No one had heard of Collins or even Calzaghne at that time. RJJ knew the big money fights were at hvywt. He and the majority of boxing afficionadoes at that time didn't think there were any challenges for Roy at any wt class, except for hvywt.

True jones never faces being the underdog, but that was never the appeal of RJJ. He was never billed as a warrior. RJJ's appeal was his tremendous athletic ability. No one really went to see Jones tested. We awed at his athleticism and his ability to totally destroy opponents. Similar to the appeal of Micheal Jordan, no one really cared if the Bulls won, they just wanted to see Mike score. Again, Jones was a smart PRIZEFIGHTER he took the opportunities that offered the greatest chance at financial success. Nothing wrong with that, he didn't need to prove his toughness because that wasn't his concern. Again, he wasn't a toughman, he is a prizefighter.

Joe proved me wrong as well. But since he's only fought one real fighter of some promise, I can't put him in the category of RJJ. He doesn't overwhelm fighters or doesn't awe people the way RJJ did. He's still a good fighter though, there's no denying that.

Yeah it all boils down to money.

I'm not sure how unknown Collins was in the US as he started boxing there and didn't move to the UK to fight until he fought at super middle against Eubank in 95.
    There was always talk that Eubank and the likes were scared to go over to the US, that is the reason Collins came to the UK to fight, he knew he could beat them and also, Super Middle at the time was still in its early stages and didn't really have any big names over in the US, the majority were either middle weight or light heavy.

Calzaghe has said he wishes he had been round at this time, he realises the talent and challenges that were about, greater and harder fighters than now.

I know Calzaghe has been on about breaking America for years, but i think that Collins had already done that and the only real fight as he knew was Jones.

Yeah he wasnt a big name as he didn't have a style like Jones, I'll agree Jones was an AWESOME boxer, had bags of talent, but like Eubank liked to box fights that were at his pace.
    Eubank's downfall when he came to fight Collins, he knew nothing about him and Collins knew everything about Eubank.
    Collins was (as voted) the toughest pound for pound fighter.
    Given his work rate, Eubank didnt stand a chance and like Eubanks seconds told him before going in to the 12th round in their first fight "Chris stop Fvcking about you have got to knock him out to win this!" Eubanks face and head motion said it all in the response to that.

As I'm sure Jones knew Collins pretty well as they had boxed around each other for years and knew it was not going to be a short fight with a dazzling knock out from Jones.
    It was going to be a 12 round battle.

Talking money, what would have been nice, if they forced to meet and have it in Boston or somewhere with a huge Irish Following. I think the money would have been ample then as pay-per view was not around then (i think).

As for Joe, he's a bit of a mixture not really have a hard core following of Italians, and Welsh? not being funny or trying to wind up the Welsh here (baring in mind I was born in Wales and lived there till I was 24 so I know the score!!!) Joe aint Welsh hes English he was born in London.

Thread Information