Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shifty_git is offline Anabolically Aware

Chuck Liddell: "Kimbo is so overrated"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle986050.ece

CHUCK LIDDELL says Kimbo Slice is not yet worthy of the high praise he has had lavished on him by many MMA fans.

'The Iceman' reckons the Internet following Slice has built up has seen him become over hyped and he claims he has yet to face a real challenge in his professional fighting career.

Slice, real name Kevin Ferguson, made his professional MMA debut last November at the EliteXC: Renegade event, beating Bo Cantrell in just 19 seconds.

He then defeated veteran Tank Abbott in February at the EliteXC: Street Certified show in Miami after just 43 seconds of the first round.

But Liddell is unimpressed and said: " When Kimbo fought Cantrell, that was the third time he's been knocked out in under 30 seconds...the THIRD time!

"So is that a real fight? I mean come on! The guy tapped before he hit the matt - he was tapping on the way down!"

Liddell claims the EliteXC star would struggle against top-tier competition and points to Slice's defeat to former UFC fighter Sean Gannon as a case in point.

Liddell added: "Gannon beat him didn't he? And how long did Gannon last in the UFC?!!

"Kimbo's one of those guys who doesn't have any ground game. He's training and he's learning but he's been built up as such a big star and that's the thing that bothers me.

"People talk about him like he's the next great thing when he really hasn't done anything.

"He's been built up because of the Internet and him beating a bunch of guys on the street."

And Liddell joked: "I could make some impressive knockout videos too if you let me walk outside and just punch people and knock them out – "hey you, come fight!"

"F*** we can make a highlight reel tomorrow and go round beating people up and talk about it – we could just go up to people and start dropping them – wow!"

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Didn't chuck just say Fedor was overrated?

Mbuffguy is offline Banned
    chuck is just washed up and he needs publicity

Bosch is offline Junior Member
    Chuck Has a good point.I think Kimbo is a tuff dude that can strike but his Fight Cards are a JOKE! Tank Abbot? Come on bro that guy is like 42 and he is the one that is washed up not chuck mbuffguy. Chuck won his last fight(against W. SILVA) so how the hell can you call him washed up! Also I hate to call any fighter washed up cause I know what they go through.Love and Respected when they are on top, Hated and disrespected when there on bottom. If most people knew what these guys go through they would show so much more respect.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    chuck says kimbo has no ground game? last time i checked chuck wouldnt last 10 seconds if someone took him down

rush_604 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    chuck says kimbo has no ground game? last time i checked chuck wouldnt last 10 seconds if someone took him down
    I dislike Chuck but I gotta disagree with you. He has some what of a wrestling background from what I remeber. Awesome take down defense, wicked sprawl, if you do get him down hes not gonna stay there for long. I think the only time hes been submitted was when he was relatively new and by Jeremy Horn. By no means is he a world class grappler but Im pretty sure he can hold his own on the ground.

RBD85 is offline Anabolic Member
    chucks has some of the best ground defense in the sport.. havent seen him use any jiu-jitsu because hes never been taken to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RBD85 View Post
    chucks has some of the best ground defense in the sport.. havent seen him use any jiu-jitsu because hes never been taken to the ground.
    yeah theres a difference between takedown defense and actually being able to hold you own wrestling.

if chuck was to actually wrestle someone, he would get pwned

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    lidell would own slice, id love to see it, people woul pay for it im telling you. they just couldnt make the weight difference acceptable

RBD85 is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah theres a difference between takedown defense and actually being able to hold you own wrestling.

Sorry but chucks wrestling is top notch.. he has an extensive wrestling backround. Was also a good d1 wrestler. Who would he get owned by in wrestling?? tito? lol

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    That would be a great fight to watch. I agree 100% with Chuck.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

BONE.CRUSHER is offline Banned
    Although i think chuck can easily beat kimbo , i think its unfair he still rates kimbo against the gannon fight because back then kimbo had no training at all but now he is learning MMA and is a much better fighter than he was before.

Synyster is offline Associate Member
    man beating kimbo is possible but i TOTALLY disagree with you on the fact that it would be "easy". honestly i think if kimbo grabbed chuck it would be over. but no doubt, id love to see that fight.

BG
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
    man beating kimbo is possible but i TOTALLY disagree with you on the fact that it would be "easy". honestly i think if kimbo grabbed chuck it would be over. but no doubt, id love to see that fight.
    I think with Chucks foot work, reach and punching accuracy, plus a good take down defense Kimbo wouldnt have a chance. I think once Kimbo took some good shots his training would be obsolete, you have to be a natural wrestler/fighter to be able to put them together when your taking damage. To many one punch fights for Kimbo imo.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

he may not have been training since childhood but i just dont see it. chuck would probably win but it wouldnt be a cake walk. all it takes is one to the chin!! and last time i checked, kimbo had some very heavy hands.
    Last edited by Synyster; 04-03-2008 at 08:34 AM.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    lol i think it's funny how this becomes a chuck is washed up or a chuck vs kimbo thread....I totally agree... kimbo is still a joke and has yet to fight any body. Also I didn't know that was the 3rd time he got knocked out in under 30 seconds...but it figures. Kimbo got to the show too fast and will have trouble becoming the threat he could have been if he had been learning jj and coming up in a slow way from the smaller venue's.

I hate when people say "I am learning the ground now" like it can be taught in a few months. It takes YEARS to become comfortable on the ground. If you remember tank started to train bjj towards the end of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    lol i think it's funny how this becomes a chuck is washed up or a chuck vs kimbo thread....I totally agree... kimbo is still a joke and has yet to fight any body. Also I didn't know that was the 3rd time he got knocked out in under 30 seconds...but it figures. Kimbo got to the show too fast and will have trouble becoming the threat he could have been if he had been learning jj and coming up in a slow way from the smaller venue's.

I hate when people say "I am learning the ground now" like it can be taught in a few months. It takes YEARS to become comfortable on the ground. If you remember tank started to train bjj towards the end of his career.
    man i wouldnt call anyone that fights in a cage a "joke". and i seriously believe that you wouldnt say that bullshyt to kimbo.

i have seen many "cage fights" with people who are lil more than ball brawlers ...so I have no problems calling people jokes. If he was in a local venue kicking @ss and taking names while learning bjj, i'd be rooting for the guy. But he is in the big leagues and he doesn't have a full package yet...THAT is why he's a joke. There is no reason why anyone who is fighting today in the top venue's should have LESS time training than me. I don't think i'm that hot on the ground and when they have even less training I assume they are just rushing things along. I see that alot lately, people who train "mma" and they do some bjj moves but they mess up on the little things because it's all been taught so fast they don't care about the little things. But when it comes to bjj , IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LITTLE THINGS. Do i think i could take kimbo? Hell to the no...but that doesn't make him any less of a joke right now. Like i said...i think he has the talent... but he went up to fast.

dude i've trined mma with kimbo i think he would rule chuck

hell yeah! ive never seen kimbo up close but i hear he's a pretty intimidating mofo.....

ya dude scary black man im taller than him but he would **** me up anyday of the week

I dont care about actual wrestiling. Im talkin about MMA. WIch wrestler has "pwned" him besides Randy the first time they fought??

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbuffguy View Post
    dude i've trined mma with kimbo i think he would rule chuck
    im gonna fly the BS flag on this one

i just got used to all the BS in this forum now... this is like sherdog II

[QUOTE=BITTAPART2;3906701]im gonna fly the BS flag on this one[/QUOTE

LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A CHALLENGE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BITTAPART2 View Post
    im gonna fly the BS flag on this one
    i would post a pic but i but sketchy it has m gym name and i dont wanna show it cause i juice

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Sounds like Chuck is laying the ground works for a big pay card... I will take Kimbo on this one... style wise only... the only way Chuck wins is on the ground and I never even seen chuck on the ground... he will lose to kimbo in my opinion because he likes to exchange and I am pretty sure kimbo punches harder than rampage and harder than lidell....

also, Kimbo can get beat by a lot of mma fighters, but only the ground experts... believe me, he will lose but I doubt it will be to any punchers.. I don't see any heavier hands in UFC right now. so that is my opinion..

Also, we can bump this thread like the Kimbo/Tank one after it happens... then everyone loses credibility on their expert mma opinions....

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    Sounds like Chuck is laying the ground works for a big pay card... I will take Kimbo on this one... style wise only... the only way Chuck wins is on the ground and I never even seen chuck on the ground... he will lose to kimbo in my opinion because he likes to exchange and I am pretty sure kimbo punches harder than rampage and harder than lidell....

also, Kimbo can get beat by a lot of mma fighters, but only the ground experts... believe me, he will lose but I doubt it will be to any punchers.. I don't see any heavier hands in UFC right now. so that is my opinion..

Also, we can bump this thread like the Kimbo/Tank one after it happens... then everyone loses credibility on their expert mma opinions....
    i'd have to agree, even though liddell is regarged as having some heavy hands as far as punching power, i think kimbo sets the bar as far as raw punching power is concerned.

Liddell would counter Kimbos punches, and no one knows how kimbos chin is. I go with chuck because of his fights with world class opponents. Wand rocked chuck a couple times, and chuck didnt go to sleep, and I think Wand has some of the hardest punches in MMA

Quote Originally Posted by rush_604 View Post
    Liddell would counter Kimbos punches, and no one knows how kimbos chin is. I go with chuck because of his fights with world class opponents. Wand rocked chuck a couple times, and chuck didnt go to sleep, and I think Wand has some of the hardest punches in MMA
    im not talking about counter ability as much as im just referring to kimbos power. everyone wants to sell kimbo short and obviously he has a long way to go, but his potential is there.

im not talking about counter ability as much as im just referring to kimbos power. everyone wants to sell kimbo short and obviously he has a long way to go, but his potential is there.
    Ya he definetly has some major power I cant argue that.

torontodude is offline Member
    Chuck is a LOSER!!! With a little more training and practice Kimbo could probably kill him.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    If this fight happens, would/should it happen at hvywt or 205? I doubt Kimbo could get down to anywhere near 205 and chuck walks around at about 220-225. He's used to knocking out guys who are that size and smaller. Taking a punch and punching a guy that much larger than you makes a huge difference. Look at boxers who've stepped up to a wt. class similar to their walking around weight, their punching power usually doesn't follow. This aspect has to be taken into consideration.

hevyweights!!!!!

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbuffguy View Post
    i would post a pic but i but sketchy it has m gym name and i dont wanna show it cause i juice
    edit the gym name out of the photo

BG
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    I hate when people say "I am learning the ground now" like it can be taught in a few months. It takes YEARS to become comfortable on the ground.
    Yes sir, you hit the nail on the head. Ground fighting has to be natural and polished over time, split second thinking, body positioning....its all in the hip's !!!!

Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torontodude View Post
    Chuck is a LOSER!!! With a little more training and practice Kimbo could probably kill him.
    Dont be so stupid, Just because chuck has been beat recently dont mean hes a total chump.
    Coture probably wouldnt agree with you either, but then again hes been dropped by Chuck, and what did he do after? only come back and dominate the Heavyweight devision.

Kimbo is a loser and if he ever gets a title will only be a paper champ! hes never done anything in MMA and is too long in the tooth to start now.

rich1261 is offline Banned
    kimbo hasnt shown the world nothing besides he can step in and beat up on has beens... let him step in with any heavy weight and the UFC and he will get dropped... like chuck said he was beat by gannon who was also a terrible fighter. he got dominated in the ufc..

fdrx7man is offline Member
    lidell should sign a one fight deal to fight kimbo and knock his arse out!! kimbo can prob beat me up but in MMA hes a chump!

as long as Chuck doesnt let Kimbo grab him i think Chuck would barely squeeze out a win in the cage. but Kimbo would fucc Chuck up in a street fight!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information