Thread: MMA & Age...

Bastard Samurai is offline Associate Member

MMA & Age...

I am 29 years old and considering taking up MMA for sure as a hobby/exercise program, but also as a competitor (not sure yet). I really love the sport and the idea of competing again is very appealing (I used to compete in Tae Kwon Do tournaments and some amateur boxing). I have no wrestling or grappling experience. I'm 5'9", 185lbs and run about 20-25miles a week, if that means anything.

My question is: what should I expect as far as being as old as I am(or young based on your point of view) and taking up a brand new sport?

Has anyone started MMA in their late 20's or early 30's? What were your experiences? Expectations? What were the reactions of your teacher and/or fellow students?

I realize that I will NEVER make it to the UFC or Pride, etc. but I would still like to compete on a regular basis. Any advice and info is greatly appreciated.

BS

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Do it for fun try competiton and see how good you do.

I know a lot of older people that start doing sports and just love it for fun or else.

My girlfriend uncle started tae kwon do at 43 years old he is now 46 and is very near is black belt, he even got a few competition under is belt now.

Even if i am injured right now i do plan to get back into martial arts one day i am only 36.

You feel has old has you feel, from what i read you have been very active so you should do very well in MMA and 29 is far far from being old.

yeah your're right. thanks for the boost, just needed another person's opinion. I just really wish MMA was as popular 10 years ago as it is now. There are so many more options now, so many places to train in the states. It should be fun...I'm really looking forward to it!

Geordi LaForge is offline Junior Member
    My main point of advice would be to avoid being a gotard while grappling. By this I mean, tap before it hurts, not after, and don't muscle around smaller opponents because the techniques you use to do so often won't work on people in your weightclass. You're not too old, as long as you're smart about how you train. I've found that when I act like an asshole in training, that's when I get injured. On the flipside, don't train with idiots. If someone goes too hard, say so. If they don't tone it down, find someone else to pair up with, because if you get competitive in training and bring ego into the picture instead of leaving well enough alone, that's another time you'll get hurt.

This isn't to say training shouldn't be intense, but that intensity should come into play after the first few months, or against people much better than you who won't hurt you (or let you hurt yourself).

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Samurai View Post
    yeah your're right. thanks for the boost, just needed another person's opinion. I just really wish MMA was as popular 10 years ago as it is now. There are so many more options now, so many places to train in the states. It should be fun...I'm really looking forward to it!
    You are lucky all i have near me is kenpo karate right now MMA is 1 hour drive TOOO LONG.

There was a jiu jitsu school with aikido but it closed

There was a boxing school and it closed too??? go figure

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geordi LaForge View Post
    My main point of advice would be to avoid being a gotard while grappling. By this I mean, tap before it hurts, not after, and don't muscle around smaller opponents because the techniques you use to do so often won't work on people in your weightclass. You're not too old, as long as you're smart about how you train. I've found that when I act like an asshole in training, that's when I get injured. On the flipside, don't train with idiots. If someone goes too hard, say so. If they don't tone it down, find someone else to pair up with, because if you get competitive in training and bring ego into the picture instead of leaving well enough alone, that's another time you'll get hurt.

This isn't to say training shouldn't be intense, but that intensity should come into play after the first few months, or against people much better than you who won't hurt you (or let you hurt yourself).

Great advise

Orion811 is offline Junior Member
    I'm 37 and have been doing MMA, but not competitively. I've also had to nurse some significant injuries since I started and got too intense for my age. Just be advised that there is a way to train smart and be cautious of the potential for injury. I'm finally back training after 7 months off from a neck injury after being guillotined too hard.

walmas is offline New Member
    I am 29 years old and considering taking up MMA for sure as a hobby/exercise program, but also as a competitor (not sure yet). I really love the sport and the idea of competing again is very appealing (I used to compete in Tae Kwon Do tournaments and some amateur boxing). I have no wrestling or grappling experience. I'm 5'9", 185lbs and run about 20-25miles a week, if that means anything.

Then go for it. Your not to old, you seem to be in shape so you'l be fine. Just train smart like these other guys said.

My question is: what should I expect as far as being as old as I am(or young based on your point of view) and taking up a brand new sport?

Im 28 now, Im still competing. Actually just started again myself a few months ago. I get sorer longer, and it takes that extra push somtimes to get myself going. But the kids (18-21) on our fight team are real cool. I can hang with them and actually probly have better cardio than most of them. lol, they still living the party life everynight.

Has anyone started MMA in their late 20's or early 30's? What were your experiences? Expectations? What were the reactions of your teacher and/or fellow students?

I realize that I will NEVER make it to the UFC or Pride, etc. but I would still like to compete on a regular basis. Any advice and info is greatly appreciated.

Realistically unless you could dedicate alot of time and energy, your probly right. But I dis-agree with you. TUF gives alot of people great oppurtunities. They'v had plenty of cast members with little experience and plus 30 in age. You could if you set your mind to it....well...not pride...

BS

Thats my take. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the advise and encouragement...good points from all. I remeber seeing a preview for a pay-per-view on someone (i forget the name of the fighter) and he was talking about exactly what Geordi LaForge was saying...he was talking about respect your training partner and the max you should be training (when it comes to sparring) was like 75 percent or somthing like that. I HATE ****ing posers who go balls out during drills and sparring, but the second they step into the ring/field and they fall apart!

Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    You are lucky all i have near me is kenpo karate right now MMA is 1 hour drive TOOO LONG.

There was a jiu jitsu school with aikido but it closed

There was a boxing school and it closed too??? go figure
    I feel you bro, the same thing was happening here for a long time...until thankfully a friend of a friend opened up a BJJ/MMA school and it's doing very well now. So i do have a few options. For a long time I was training on my own (boxing)...just doing bag work mostly and building up my cardio and endurance. Sometimes you gotta go Clubber Lang for a while until something opens up.

buttercup is offline Banned
    I feel you bro, the same thing was happening here for a long time...until thankfully a friend of a friend opened up a BJJ/MMA school and it's doing very well now. So i do have a few options. For a long time I was training on my own (boxing)...just doing bag work mostly and building up my cardio and endurance. Sometimes you gotta go Clubber Lang for a while until something opens up.
    all we have is a bjj/judo school. it is ok, but all we have is gii work and there are alot of young kids in the class. thats why im turning my garrage into a dojo.

Geordi LaForge is offline Junior Member
    Has anyone started MMA in their late 20's or early 30's? What were your experiences?
    I missed this before, but one of my current instructors started at 28, and another (this guy: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=8092) at 26. The one that started later hasn't fought pro, but has won a lot of amatuer tourneys and is still competing now at 41.

I HATE ****ing posers who go balls out during drills and sparring, but the second they step into the ring/field and they fall apart!
    I've had students variously neck crank me into job loss, heel hook me tearing every tendon and ligament from the knee down on my right leg, try to touch my hand to the back of my head with a kimura, armbar me at 100% intensity while ignoring my tapping until I screamed, sucker punch me in the middle of instructing, knee me in the balls during a drill (intentionally), and go for an ear grind when my cauliflower was already 1" thick. Be glad you're only a student.
    Last edited by Geordi LaForge; 04-24-2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Remembered more

Synyster is offline Associate Member
    man im 30 and i just started training muay tai!! its never too late to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordi LaForge View Post
    I missed this before, but one of my current instructors started at 28, and another (this guy: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...FighterID=8092) at 26. The one that started later hasn't fought pro, but has won a lot of amatuer tourneys and is still competing now at 41.

I've had students variously neck crank me into job loss, heel hook me tearing every tendon and ligament from the knee down on my right leg, try to touch my hand to the back of my head with a kimura, armbar me at 100% intensity while ignoring my tapping until I screamed, sucker punch me in the middle of instructing, knee me in the balls during a drill (intentionally), and go for an ear grind when my cauliflower was already 1" thick. Be glad you're only a student.
    Damn bro, but I guess that's the price you pay for being the "fountain of knowledge"! Well take comfort in the fact that they have you to thank for all their success!

Quote Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
    man im 30 and i just started training muay tai!! its never too late to learn something new.
    True that! I'm actually going to train in BJJ during the school year and spend my summers in Thailand (considering the Horizon Muay Thai Boxing Camp on Koh Phangan Island) training in Muay Thai. Should be fun!

P.S. Has anyone heard...well anything about this Thai school, good or bad? I was really impressed by their website but don't want to base my entire opinion just on that.

millionairemurph is offline Senior Member
    Just train and have fun, see where it takes you. You are definately not too old, people are lasting much longer in sports these days, just look at Randy Coutoure. He's a freak, but if you could train until you are 35-38, you have quite a few yoears ahead f you to pursue your goals

sphincter is offline Member
    I started training Gracie Jiu Jitsu a month out of major surgery at 30Y/O. I got my blue belt in near record time as I was trainning so hard and frequently; and I learn really quickly from top notch instructors.

I LOVE the training aspect and would certainly entertain the idea of jumping in on the competitions in the near future depending on how a few things go with me medically and professionally.

I highly recommend you go for it!! You will love it during the training and if competitions are still what you want then there is no reason why you couldn't be competitive in the sport.

Also, please realize "MMA" isn't a sport in and of itself but a mixture of different sports and a place/way to use whatever skills you have that work for your body type and strength level. Most places advertising "MMA Schools" are half-ass at best and complete ripoffs at worst.

I would recommend you train BJJ dedicatedly for at least a year and combined with your boxing background you'd do O.K. in MMA competitions but would benefit from further diversification and honing of skillsets.

Bullyson is offline Associate Member
    Damn good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by sphincter View Post
    I started training Gracie Jiu Jitsu a month out of major surgery at 30Y/O. I got my blue belt in near record time as I was trainning so hard and frequently; and I learn really quickly from top notch instructors.

I LOVE the training aspect and would certainly entertain the idea of jumping in on the competitions in the near future depending on how a few things go with me medically and professionally.

I highly recommend you go for it!! You will love it during the training and if competitions are still what you want then there is no reason why you couldn't be competitive in the sport.

Also, please realize "MMA" isn't a sport in and of itself but a mixture of different sports and a place/way to use whatever skills you have that work for your body type and strength level. Most places advertising "MMA Schools" are half-ass at best and complete ripoffs at worst.

I would recommend you train BJJ dedicatedly for at least a year and combined with your boxing background you'd do O.K. in MMA competitions but would benefit from further diversification and honing of skillsets.

Thread Information