WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?

Fighter Rankings

Ok im starting this thread because on Sherdog, anytime you do one of these, you get about 1000 dipshits on there cussing you out, and being internet toughguys....

But, here, everyone is levelheaded (which is why i love it!) so here we go...

These Rankings are based on the level of fighters they have beaten and lost to. As well as how active they have been in the last year. Fighters who havent competed in over a year cannot be ranked.* Fighters are ranked in the main weight class they compete in. I.E. Anderson Silva, and Dan Henderson, but can recieve honorable mention

*Ricardo Arrona is a prime example.

Heavyweight Rankings
    1) Fedor Emelianeko
    2) Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    3) Josh Barnett
    4) Randy Couture
    5) Andrei Arlovski
    6) Tim Sylvia
    7) Fabricio Werdum
    8) Gabriel Gonzaga
    9) Frank Mir
    10) Mirko CroCop

LightHeavyweight Rankings
    1) Forrest Griffen
    2) Quinton Jackson
    3) Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
    4) Chuck Liddell
    5) Antonio Rogerio Nogueria
    6) Lyoto Machida
    7) Wanderlei Silva
    8) Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
    9) Keith Jardine
    10) Thiago Silva
    *honorable mention to Dan Henderson and Anderson Silva who both, would be in the top ten if they competed at 205 more than 185.
    Middleweight Rankings

1) Anderson Silva
    2) Paulo Filho
    3) Dan Henderson
    4) Rich Franklin
    5) Robbie Lawler
    6) Matt Lindland
    7) Yoshihiro Akiyama
    8) Kazou Misaki
    9) Gegard Mousasi
    10) Yushin Okami

Welterweight Rankings
    1) GSP
    2) Jon Fitch
    3) Thiago Alves
    4) Jake Shields
    5) Josh Koscheck
    6) Matt Hughes
    7) Diego Sanchez
    8) Carlos Condit
    9) Karo Parisyan
    10) Nick Thompson
    *Honorable mention to BJ Penn who would be ranked if he competed at 170 more than 155.

Lightweight Rankings
    1) BJ Penn
    2) Takanori Gomi
    3) Eddie Alvarez
    4) Joachim Hansen
    5) Shinya Aoki
    6) Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante
    7) Josh Thompson
    8) Frankie Edgar
    9) Sean Sherk
    10) Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro

Express what you feel should be changed in your opinion, so we can have a sort of roundtable discussion in order to best possible rank each weight division.
    Last edited by WARMachine; 07-31-2008 at 12:58 AM.

southmadejd is offline Member
    Bro even though Urijah Faber fights at 145 you have to try and fit him into Lightweight somewhere....that kid is bad.

Also if Couture doesn't fight soon he is going to have to drop out of your rankings....according to your rules.
    Last edited by southmadejd; 07-31-2008 at 06:54 PM.

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    They are fair I feel.

I'd really like to see Gabriel Gonzaga get some good matches though. The broken nose vs randy really costed him. If he had won that fight I'd see him in the top 3 being so versitile and big. He really has no weakness, you don't want to exchange and his BJJ is good as well. I still feel he is the one to beat Fedor if anyone. He's bigger, stronger, his stand up is questionably better and ground would be intresting BJJ Vs. Sambo.

^^^ well i think his main weakness is a guy named Fabricio Werdum... hes beat twice now... and yes, Randy needs to fight soon...

and just for the record SOUTH...

Faber would def. be #1 on my list for 145ers

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    i would like to see faber fight some better people (ufc) i know he would have to move up in weight, but they play him off as the great 145 in wec, knocking out everyone, but goes 5 rounds vs jens pulver, and didn't look that good imo. and bj penn dominated pulver after ultimate fighter. even if you put him on the list, i wouldn't put him too high. i'd put money on sherk > faber

i agree with most of yours, i don't think forest is really the best at 205. maybe rampage or shogun rua.

i think brandon vera should be around 7-8 in the heavyweights. he hasn't been huge, but he's done well for the most part. maybe moving to 205, but still won a couple at heavy (like beating mir)

i like the 170, especially putting koscheck above hughes haha. 85s are good too

rush_604 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    Ok im starting this thread because on Sherdog, anytime you do one of these, you get about 1000 dipshits on there cussing you out, and being internet toughguys....

But, here, everyone is levelheaded (which is why i love it!) so here we go...

These Rankings are based on the level of fighters they have beaten and lost to. As well as how active they have been in the last year. Fighters who havent competed in over a year cannot be ranked.* Fighters are ranked in the main weight class they compete in. I.E. Anderson Silva, and Dan Henderson, but can recieve honorable mention

*Ricardo Arrona is a prime example.

Heavyweight Rankings
    1) Fedor Emelianeko
    2) Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
    3) Josh Barnett
    4) Randy Couture
    5) Andrei Arlovski
    6) Tim Sylvia
    7) Fabricio Werdum
    8) Gabriel Gonzaga
    9) Frank Mir
    10) Mirko CroCop

LightHeavyweight Rankings
    1) Forrest Griffen
    2) Quinton Jackson
    3) Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
    4) Chuck Liddell
    5) Antonio Rogerio Nogueria
    6) Lyoto Machida
    7) Wanderlei Silva
    8) Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
    9) Keith Jardine
    10) Thiago Silva
    *honorable mention to Dan Henderson and Anderson Silva who both, would be in the top ten if they competed at 205 more than 185.
    Middleweight Rankings

1) Anderson Silva
    2) Paulo Filho
    3) Dan Henderson
    4) Rich Franklin
    5) Robbie Lawler
    6) Matt Lindland
    7) Yoshihiro Akiyama
    8) Kazou Misaki
    9) Gegard Mousasi
    10) Yushin Okami

Welterweight Rankings
    1) GSP
    2) Jon Fitch
    3) Thiago Alves
    4) Jake Shields
    5) Josh Koscheck
    6) Matt Hughes
    7) Diego Sanchez
    8) Carlos Condit
    9) Karo Parisyan
    10) Nick Thompson
    *Honorable mention to BJ Penn who would be ranked if he competed at 170 more than 155.

Lightweight Rankings
    1) BJ Penn
    2) Takanori Gomi
    3) Eddie Alvarez
    4) Joachim Hansen
    5) Shinya Aoki
    6) Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante
    7) Josh Thompson
    8) Frankie Edgar
    9) Sean Sherk
    10) Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro

Express what you feel should be changed in your opinion, so we can have a sort of roundtable discussion in order to best possible rank each weight division.

Pretty good rankings I agree for the most part

Only things I would change:

HW:I would probably put put Timmy at 5 and Arlovski at 6. I'm a huge Mirko fan but I would take him out and replace him with Herring.

LHW: I would have Machida#3 than shogun-4 Chuck-5 Move Wandy-6 Thiago-7 Rashad Evans -8 Lil Nog - 9 Soko - 10

MW: Lindland-5 even though his last performance wasn't to impressive I think it might have been ring rust
    Yushin-6 and Lawler-7, take out Grergard(win over Kang was huge but dont think hes top 10 yet) and replace him with Jacare
    Honorouble mention to Dennis Kang, and Mayhem

WW: I'd put Carlos-6 Hughes-7 Diego-8 Karo-9 Serra-10

LW: I'd take out Shaolin and Frankie and put in Kawajiri and either Gilbert or winner of Kenny and Huerta

Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    i would like to see faber fight some better people (ufc) i know he would have to move up in weight, but they play him off as the great 145 in wec, knocking out everyone, but goes 5 rounds vs jens pulver, and didn't look that good imo. and bj penn dominated pulver after ultimate fighter. even if you put him on the list, i wouldn't put him too high. i'd put money on sherk > faber

i agree with most of yours, i don't think forest is really the best at 205. maybe rampage or shogun rua.

i think brandon vera should be around 7-8 in the heavyweights. he hasn't been huge, but he's done well for the most part. maybe moving to 205, but still won a couple at heavy (like beating mir)

The test left for Urijah at 145 is Kid and I think Kid would win. Doesn't make sense to say this fighter beat this fighter that quick and it took the other guy longer. That doesnt mean shit. Styles make fights. Mir beat Tim in rd.1, took Randy 5, does that mean hes better than Randy? I'm not saying Urijah is better than BJ but what your saying doesnt make sense. How does the Sherk & Urijah fight really make sense Sherk cuts from atleast 180-185lbs that a huge size advantage.

I don't think Forrest is the best fighter at 205 but he beat the #1, and #2 fighters so he definelty deserves the #1 spot.

Vera isn't a top 10 HW any more he dropped two in a row no matter how conterversial his loss to Fabricio was, or if he broke his hand in the Timmy fight a loss is still a loss. He beat Mir almost 2 yrs ago when Mir wasnt even ranked so that doesn't really mean much today.

macgrappler is offline New Member
    i agree for the most part. heath herrings not that good. forrest griffin has came along way and hes a true fighter. he deserves #1. i want to see griffin vs. liddell.

what about robert huerta.

Quote Originally Posted by macgrappler View Post
    what about robert huerta.
    Do you mean Roger?

If so I think if he beats Kenny he definetly will break into the top ten. Right now his only notable win is over Guida.

sorry man. yea i mean roger. i think he will beat ken flo but anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post

The thing about Faber, is he is a small 145er, the guy is just plain little...

"i agree with most of yours, i don't think forest is really the best at 205. maybe rampage or shogun rua. "
    its funny you say that, cause Forrest beat BOTH of them... So for now, hes #1 on EVERYBODYS list... And Kos has come a long way, beating Diego and giving GSP a good fight...

Quote Originally Posted by rush_604 View Post
    Pretty good rankings I agree for the most part

Only things I would change:

HW:I would probably put put Timmy at 5 and Arlovski at 6. I'm a huge Mirko fan but I would take him out and replace him with Herring.

LHW: I would have Machida#3 than shogun-4 Chuck-5 Move Wandy-6 Thiago-7 Rashad Evans -8 Lil Nog - 9 Soko - 10

MW: Lindland-5 even though his last performance wasn't to impressive I think it might have been ring rust
    Yushin-6 and Lawler-7, take out Grergard(win over Kang was huge but dont think hes top 10 yet) and replace him with Jacare
    Honorouble mention to Dennis Kang, and Mayhem

WW: I'd put Carlos-6 Hughes-7 Diego-8 Karo-9 Serra-10

LW: I'd take out Shaolin and Frankie and put in Kawajiri and either Gilbert or winner of Kenny and Huerta

HW: Well AA beat Werdum and Ben Rothwell, and Jake Obrian(whos beat Herring) so i had to put him above Sylvia because he has lost 3 of his last five, (granted against the top HWs in the world but still)...

Quote Originally Posted by rush_604 View Post
    Vera isn't a top 10 HW any more he dropped two in a row no matter how conterversial his loss to Fabricio was, or if he broke his hand in the Timmy fight a loss is still a loss. He beat Mir almost 2 yrs ago when Mir wasnt even ranked so that doesn't really mean much today.
    Perfectly put brother!!! That takes care of Vera, personally, the guy talks and doesnt deliver, hes worst than Tito...

LHW: Machida, he hasnt beaten anyone i think was that impressive... yeah Tito,(when was the last time Tito was a top ten guy? 5 years?) and Soko, if Machida gets in the top five for beating Soko, then Teixeira should be too, because he straight killed Soko... (same thing Chuck said on Machida)

Shogun has only lost 3 times in his career, one to the current champ and #1 205er, another due to a freak injury, and one very early in his career... So hes #3, and Chuck is behind him cause of 2 losses to Page and Shoguns destruction of Page....
    (Evans, the same thing as Machida, went to a DRAW with Tito, he couldnt even beat him, and beat Bisping, now a 185er... Not top ten worthy....)

MW: Lindland hasnt lost to a 185er in 4 years, the guy is so good, he fights above his weight class all the time (Page, and Fedor) and Gegard has beat Kang and Yoon, Jarcare (though im a HUGE fan of his) has only beaten Miller... So, Mousasi has to be ahead of him, but it doesnt matter cause they will fight soon anyway...()

Lawler beat Trigg, Villasenor, Rua and Smith, all by KO too, hes top 5, though just barley...

WW: Hughes is a legend, and still has a fight in him so hes in caise hes only been beat by GSP, and Alves, who is top 3.

As much as i like Carlos, he just hasnt beat top guys, not his fault though, in his biggest fight against Shields he lost pretty easily, though Jake couldt finish him.

As for Serra, im sorry but who has he beat? Lets face it people 999/1000, GSP wins that fight, not taking anything anyway from Serra, he won fair and square, but he hasnt done anything else, IF he beats Hughes, hell be top 6 or 7 for sure...

LW: You know i was SO CLOSE to puttin Kawajiri in there, i really was, and i think ill revise after this and remove Edgar, but Kawajiri LOST to Vitor, kinda hard to put him in, Gilbert lost to Thompson (and Ishida who lost to Vitor, which is why Vitor is in there on top of the Kawajiri win.) and as far as Kenny goes, he is on a tear, has fought for the title and if he beats Roger, hes in for sure...

As for Roger, im not impressed, i think hes a UFC made fighter, who has been hand fead guys for 2 years now... I dont see him getting past KenFlo, but if he does, hes #9 or 10.

Anyway, just my justifications for why people are where they are. Still disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    The thing about Faber, is he is a small 145er, the guy is just plain little...

"i agree with most of yours, i don't think forest is really the best at 205. maybe rampage or shogun rua. "
    its funny you say that, cause Forrest beat BOTH of them... So for now, hes #1 on EVERYBODYS list... And Kos has come a long way, beating Diego and giving GSP a good fight...

HW: Well AA beat Werdum and Ben Rothwell, and Jake Obrian(whos beat Herring) so i had to put him above Sylvia because he has lost 3 of his last five, (granted against the top HWs in the world but still)...

Perfectly put brother!!! That takes care of Vera, personally, the guy talks and doesnt deliver, hes worst than Tito...

LHW: Machida, he hasnt beaten anyone i think was that impressive... yeah Tito,(when was the last time Tito was a top ten guy? 5 years?) and Soko, if Machida gets in the top five for beating Soko, then Teixeira should be too, because he straight killed Soko... (same thing Chuck said on Machida)

Shogun has only lost 3 times in his career, one to the current champ and #1 205er, another due to a freak injury, and one very early in his career... So hes #3, and Chuck is behind him cause of 2 losses to Page and Shoguns destruction of Page....
    (Evans, the same thing as Machida, went to a DRAW with Tito, he couldnt even beat him, and beat Bisping, now a 185er... Not top ten worthy....)

MW: Lindland hasnt lost to a 185er in 4 years, the guy is so good, he fights above his weight class all the time (Page, and Fedor) and Gegard has beat Kang and Yoon, Jarcare (though im a HUGE fan of his) has only beaten Miller... So, Mousasi has to be ahead of him, but it doesnt matter cause they will fight soon anyway...()

Lawler beat Trigg, Villasenor, Rua and Smith, all by KO too, hes top 5, though just barley...

WW: Hughes is a legend, and still has a fight in him so hes in caise hes only been beat by GSP, and Alves, who is top 3.

As much as i like Carlos, he just hasnt beat top guys, not his fault though, in his biggest fight against Shields he lost pretty easily, though Jake couldt finish him.

As for Serra, im sorry but who has he beat? Lets face it people 999/1000, GSP wins that fight, not taking anything anyway from Serra, he won fair and square, but he hasnt done anything else, IF he beats Hughes, hell be top 6 or 7 for sure...

LW: You know i was SO CLOSE to puttin Kawajiri in there, i really was, and i think ill revise after this and remove Edgar, but Kawajiri LOST to Vitor, kinda hard to put him in, Gilbert lost to Thompson (and Ishida who lost to Vitor, which is why Vitor is in there on top of the Kawajiri win.) and as far as Kenny goes, he is on a tear, has fought for the title and if he beats Roger, hes in for sure...

As for Roger, im not impressed, i think hes a UFC made fighter, who has been hand fead guys for 2 years now... I dont see him getting past KenFlo, but if he does, hes #9 or 10.

Anyway, just my justifications for why people are where they are. Still disagree?
    Ya those are all valid reasons you gave. I agree with some and not with some. I guess I'm biased towards some fighters though. Pretty hard to disagree with most of your rankings. I guess we just have a differnce of opinion on some fighters.

Thread Information