Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member

Calzaghe Vs Jones, whos your man?

Im going with the Taff to win by TKO

Cymru Am Byth!

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    Calzaghe by TKO.

Jones is done.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    Agree. Jones was amazing but at this point he's just sort of hanging around. I wish he would have put himself out there in the early days when he was unbeatable. Would have made for some interesting fights. The fight that i am more interested in is Hopkins vs. Pavlik. I got Pavlik by decision but its going to be very interesting

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Calzaghe for me

Does anyone think that Jones has a chance in this one?

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    A very slim one...

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a huge RJJ fan, BUT he will lose this fight by decision. I don't think Calzagne has much punching power but he is so busy and throws so many punches he will overwhelm Jones. Jones' punching power gives him a slight chance but not much.

Its always sad to see the great ones hang on for too long. Wasn't it Jones who first coined the phrase "I will retire from boxing before boxing retires me" ?

I think Tarver is the one that retired Jones. I assume he is just bored and looking for one last payday

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    I'm a huge RJJ fan, BUT he will lose this fight by decision. I don't think Calzagne has much punching power but he is so busy and throws so many punches he will overwhelm Jones. Jones' punching power gives him a slight chance but not much.

Its always sad to see the great ones hang on for too long. Wasn't it Jones who first coined the phrase "I will retire from boxing before boxing retires me" ?
    True, i think Jones has a chance since Calzaghe aint exactly know for his chin and i doubt very much that Jones's skill level has dropped off that much it will effect his chances even dispite him being 38.
    End of the day Calzaghe is the best fighter Jones has/will ever meet, he is way better than people give him credit for and i think he will give Jones a bit of a lesson since he wont let Jones sit back and dictate the pace of the fight.

BTM0085 is offline Associate Member
    id rather see Calzaghe vs Pavlik...That Pavlik hit hard for a skinny skinny dude good gawd hardest puncher in middleweight thats for sure.

That would be a much better more competitive fight in my mind.

why did calzaghe spend 10 years ducking real competition?

Quote Originally Posted by willieboy36 View Post
    why did calzaghe spend 10 years ducking real competition?
    I think its the politics behind who fights who really. You can argue in his first fight that Collins ducked him but then you also could argue that Collins had spent the best part of 10 years trying to meet up with Jones who if you want to argue could quite easily be acused of dodging him. Insted of Collins he was faced by Eubank. After losing to Calzaghe, Eubank then moved up two weights to fight then Cruiser weight champ Carl Thompson twice, only to lose on a techinicality in both fights.

After this, there was not really much out there for Calzaghe to fight in the UK. Collins had retired through ill health,
    Benn had retired after being battered twice by Collins,
    Eubank was defeated.
    Robin Reid was eager to dodge Collins but took up Calzaghe on his offer and lost (unconvincingly) on points.

In that division the only real name out there was Jones (at the time) but he moved up to Light heavy because he wasnt so keen to Fight Collins.

shame there were no real stars in the division for him to fight. Calzaghe himself has said that he wished he had been fighting during the late 80's- early 90's

Give me a break...Trinidad, Jones, Jermaine Taylor, B-Hop, Tarver, DelaHoya are all guys he could have came across the pond and met them in weight..

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Calz is at his prime. RJ is on his way out, I would be amazed if RJ pulled it off.

Calz is the busier fighter for sure and better at this point in his career but Jones has the edge on strength and one punch power which could be the great equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by BTM0085 View Post
    Give me a break...Trinidad, Jones, Jermaine Taylor, B-Hop, Tarver, DelaHoya are all guys he could have came across the pond and met them in weight..
    I dont see why an undefeated champ should agree to meet a guy of a ligher weight who has a few defeats to his name.
    There are only a few fighters out there that are worthy of actually meeting him.

Not taking anything away from the guys you have mentioned but there are reasons why they never met, be it weight, record or other.

The only two that come close are the young lads, Taylor is a lined up against Lacy for the 15 of Nov (who's Lacy?).
    Pavlik is lined up against Hopkins tonight.
    Both them fighters have to win before being able to justify even considering a fight with Joe.

Joe came on the scene in 1997. Collins wouldnt fight him.... why? Joe a young up n coming lad who is knocking them out left right n center... you could quote what Collins said back in '97 "hes a good up an coming kid but i want a pay day and that boy wouldnt fill a parish church".

Collins like Jones had disposed of every Super Middleweight while champ and Jones was the man to beat but with Collins Jones didnt take up the offer to see who the man really is as he has with Joe (now whos after a pay day?).

The man Joe will be really thinking about if he would have beaten or not is going to be Steve Collins not Tarver, Taylor, Trinidad, De La Hoya or Pavlik.
    Last edited by Odpierdol_sie!; 10-18-2008 at 02:24 PM.

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Honestly this fight is very intriguing.

I would not be surprised to see RJJ win this but I do think Calzaghe will win. Should be a good fight and im looking foward to watching the 24-7 on HBO.

Bump because its tomorrow night and in my opinion this fight is gonna be up there as one of the biggest clashes in boxing history.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Calzaghe jones got lucky in his last fight agaisnt trinny but Jones could do it

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Jones has a punchers chance and after Hopkins did his thing I know Jones is itching to do the same. I`m pulling for jones even though the smart money is on calzaghe.

Hmmmmmm..... Its fixing to be a good one, just watching a build up to it on TV now.

If you ask me its straight out of the Hagler Vs Leonard saga.... about time we had another fight like the old ones i say.

Jones

Whooo da man!!!!!!!!!!!!

ectomorph28 is offline Associate Member
    Joe Calzaghe will go down as one of the greatest of all-time. He truly is very underrated. The way he embarassed RJJ tonight was unreal. He stuck his chin out right in front of RJJ's guard and had his hands down and RJJ still couldnt hit him.

People look at Joe and think all this guy does is throw a ton of punches and outwork his opponents. But what people dont understand is how good of a fighter he is. His ring generalship is incredible, his upper body and head movement is incredible. RJJ threw combinations and often times none of them even landed on Joe. Joe cut off the ring, backed down RJJ and managed to throw and land more punches on RJJ than anybody has done in history.

I have no problem with Joe retiring but a fight with Dawson in front of 60-70,000 in his home country would be amazing. And if he beat Dawson he would have done everything he could have done in his career.

Thread Information