BTM0085 is offline Associate Member

UFC heavyweight weight limit?

Does anyone else ind it ridiculous that the UFC and most other organization have a 265 lbs weight limit? I mean heavyweights are not supposed to cut, theres no weight limit in boxingI mean theres not a lot but say a 7 footer wants to fight mma, he should not be forced to cut and have his strength suffer.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    I have yet to see a good fighter that has been excluded due to this rule. Tom Erikson maybe back in the day but he was in Pride and that did not matter. Timmy has to cut from what I hear but he is a turd and if not for that weight limit he would be even more of a slob. I realize Lesnar has to cut a little but its not as if he is tapping into the muscle and killing himself to make that cut. Who else is there that is actually effected by this? Bob Sapp?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Choi Hong-man, 7'2'' 330lbs

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    He is terrible

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I guarantee that if you eliminated that bullshit weigh limit or instituted a superheavyweight division you'd see more quality fighters that large. The reason you don't now is because these guys know MMA isn't an option for them so they do other sports.

WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?
    There is actually a weight limit for HW in the Olympics.

And there is a SuperHeavy Weight class in MMA.

And the reason for these limits is to keep these side show attraction out of the sport. Who seriously wants to see a 7'1 500lb guy get sub'd?

Besides the fact they need some kind of Cruiserweight in MMA as it is.

A guy whos 225 shouldnt be fighting a guy whos 265.

There should be an additional weight class from 206-230. Then a 231-265. That would even things out a little more IMO.

Honestly, im a lower weight guy so i dont really care, but i think it would make for better fights.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    ^^point well taken War and I can definitely relate to what you are saying. Because you are a fighter, I understand your point of view. As a former defensive football player, I completely hate the rules protecting quarterbacks and the rules protecting recievers to empasize the passing game and make the game more high scoring and exciting. BUT, I realize the purists in both our sports don't pay the bills for our sports.

The casual fan would want to see a 500lb 7ft giant get sub'd. The only to way to continue growth of the sport is to continue to make it more fan friendly. Sports that don't evolve will get passed by.

Blog Entries
    I just hope that MMA doesnt get to many weight classes like boxing. Seriously do we need a different weight class every 3lbs as it seems in boxing.

^^^ Lol i agree...

The only other weight class id like to see added is one in between the HW division.

Other than that, i think the rest are good. Though i would like to see the 155lb division changed to 160lbs like in Japan.

I think fighters will be stronger and will beable to lift more if that weight limit was changed.

no way the weight classes are just fine in mma, just there should be no hw limit...225 fighting 265 isnt much of a difference, once you get over 200-210 size(weight) isnt much of a factor height and reach is...look at boxing, all the best hw's were 210-235...boxing divisions suck and are so small i mean theres 55 classes for guys under 130 and only 2 for guys over 175.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    ^^^ Lol i agree...

The only other weight class id like to see added is one in between the HW division.

Other than that, i think the rest are good. Though i would like to see the 155lb division changed to 160lbs like in Japan.

I think fighters will be stronger and will beable to lift more if that weight limit was changed.
    155'rs can go and go and go and go, they are amazing to watch how much action they push.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BTM0085 View Post
    no way the weight classes are just fine in mma, just there should be no hw limit...225 fighting 265 isnt much of a difference, once you get over 200-210 size(weight) isnt much of a factor height and reach is...look at boxing, all the best hw's were 210-235...boxing divisions suck and are so small i mean theres 55 classes for guys under 130 and only 2 for guys over 175.
    Bullshat that over 210 isnt a factor. I Rolled with a guy that was 310 lbs of muscle I weighted 225 at the time. I knew a lot more than him, I was better than him, I was even prettier than him. He was so big that when I somehow pinned him against the fence I tried a single leg take down and my arms could not wrap around his legs. I had to just let him fall on me and work from my guard. There was no picking him up and slamming him.....

Fine? Sure. Perfect, not even close!

And bro, a guy weighing 225 fighting a guy who 265 is a HUGE difference.

Randy is one of the most accomplished wrestlers in MMA history, and was having SERIOUS problems taking down Lesnar.

And there is a huge difference between 210 and 265 bro. Serious. Ive had guy who weigh 250 on top of me, and they are MUCH harder to deal with than guys who weigh 220.

Dispite not having the same talent. Weight is a big factor in fighting.

all the guys under 230 can easily cut to 205 to make lightheavy...

Im mostly thinking of the striking game...yes with two grapplers i could see there being a diference, striking i dont think weight is much of a factor over 210...i read an article in mma mag the article compared the reach of an average person who would have the same reach as their height and used that as the base. they determined that the average boxer has at least one extra inch of reach to become a pro. the average mma fighter though would have 1.4 inches extra reach. this doesnt seem so strange except that the higher a person bigger achievements a person has in boxing and mma the longer their reach tends to be.

in the research an mma champion had at least 2 inches extra reach and a "super" champ (guys like gsp silva and fedor) had 3. it seemed to follow the same trend except for a few exceptions like tyson and marciano who had short arms. in mma there were no exceptions. funny how something like arm length can be so good for fighting yet so bad for litfting, i should show the article to allthe stubby midgets bragging about there benches lol.
    Last edited by BTM0085; 11-28-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Sean Sherk has miget arms. Former Champ.

BJ doesnt have a huge reach.

And Hughes, who was the most dominant champ in ANY weight class in UFC history, has a very short reach.

Do you have a link to that article by chance? I would like to give it a read.

hughes does not have midget arms...his reach is 70 inches his height is 69..thats slightly above average actually...the article was in mma worldwide a few months back...thats one great fighter you mentioned and his reacch is actually above average,,mabye its short for a fighter his height, but not for a average man his height.

So what does extra mean?

If someone's arms measured from fingertip to fingertip are longer than the fighter is tall he has above average reach?
    I dont get it?

Reach is reach bro. It plays a factor without doubt. But its not a fail safe for MMA fighter vs. fighter superiority.

Tambit24 is offline Member
    so they really get their "reach" from finger tip to finger tip. I did mine, but thought it was wrong.

QuieTSToRM33 is offline Anabolic Member
    Does anyone else ind it ridiculous that the UFC and most other organization have a 265 lbs weight limit? I mean heavyweights are not supposed to cut, theres no weight limit in boxingI mean theres not a lot but say a 7 footer wants to fight mma, he should not be forced to cut and have his strength suffer.
    Yeah cause there are so many of those ...

265 is more than enough weight for HW.

Quote Originally Posted by QuieTSToRM33 View Post
    Yeah cause there are so many of those ...

265 is more than enough weight for HW.
    the point is its the heavyweight divison! heavyweight should be unlimited period. all the guys under 230-240 can fight at lhw..a monster should be able to fight heavy and not cut weight.. tim sylvia was a monster at one point, and brock lesnar should be able to be as strong as he wants for a HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHT. heavyweight is supposed to be the best fighters fighting in the world period..weight shouldnt be a factor.

PrideFEDOR is offline Associate Member
    Im 280 and when I bulk I can go up to 300 ( second winter now), but I'd actually prefer drop to 265, even a little bit less. Not all guys can fight at lhw if they weight 240. I stayed on 240 for 8 years and back in 2000 I got my jaw broken with 2 by 4. I was forced to eat liquids for 2.5 months. I never went lower 215 ever. And I looked "bones" ( well at least it was for me). Felt very very weak too.

...boxing divisions suck and are so small i mean theres 55 classes for guys under 130 and only 2 for guys over 175.

how is that bs..ok 55 was exageratting..theres 8 for guys under 130, and only 2 for guys over 175.look it up if you think its bs..why are the classes so small? thats why all the little guys can wrack up all the titles and win titles in so many weight classes. i mean 130 pound guys arent allowed to fight mma.
    Last edited by BTM0085; 11-29-2008 at 02:02 PM.

haha , bro I see your point and I agree especially if u put two latino light weights that can beat crap out of each other for 12 rounds- that's an entertainment.

Btw, I can say there's 10 categories under 140 and only 1 above 200... I dont know what those numbers mean , but 130lbs has 7 categories under it and 8 above it. Oh there are cruiser, heavy and superheavy cat. so its 3 category above 175 !
    BRO, America is anoverweight country. I live in TN and I never seen pigs like that ever. U go most countries and 185lbs consider to be a large male.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I agree, never understood why people where kept out... just figure how to address the cutoff issue in the weight class and let it fly..

To all who say that there is no one good that heavy, well I guess you won't ever find out... anyhow, if that is true then let the fighters sort it out and leave it where it stands... if you don't have a weight cap and it is dominated by people weighing 265 or less, than you have your answer plain and simple...

btw, I would rather watch bigboys than the 155 class anyday.... those 155 lber's look like high school kids duking it out to me...

how is that bs..ok 55 was exageratting..theres 8 for guys under 130, and only 2 for guys over 175.look it up if you think its bs..why are the classes so small? thats why all the little guys can wrack up all the titles and win titles in so many weight classes. i mean 130 pound guys arent allowed to fight mma.
    There is a 135lb class. A 125lb class. And a 115lb class.

Quote Originally Posted by PrideFEDOR View Post
    Im 280 and when I bulk I can go up to 300 ( second winter now), but I'd actually prefer drop to 265, even a little bit less. Not all guys can fight at lhw if they weight 240. I stayed on 240 for 8 years and back in 2000 I got my jaw broken with 2 by 4. I was forced to eat liquids for 2.5 months. I never went lower 215 ever. And I looked "bones" ( well at least it was for me). Felt very very weak too.
    100% Agree. The weight cut is just too much for some people. Thats why there is talk of Chuck going to HW. And thats also the reason why Randy fights at HW.

Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    There is a 135lb class. A 125lb class. And a 115lb class.
    i meant ufc not mma, thats another thing why are there no classes for smaller fighters in ufc? 155? thats a guy who walks around in shape at 175 or so which is probably larger than average...one weight class at 140 and unlimited heavyweight would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PrideFEDOR View Post
    Btw, I can say there's 10 categories under 140 and only 1 above 200... I dont know what those numbers mean , but 130lbs has 7 categories under it and 8 above it. Oh there are cruiser, heavy and superheavy cat. so its 3 category above 175 !
    BRO, America is anoverweight country. I live in TN and I never seen pigs like that ever. U go most countries and 185lbs consider to be a large male.
    super heavyweight is not a professional weight class atleast recognized by the major councils. pros over 200-unlimited fight heavy under 200 may also fight....i see what you mean but boxing should have a class between 175-200..i mean they have one for every 4 pounds from 105 up for christ sakes..what is the size of average american male? also chuck and randy arent too big as to have a problem making 205 they both look to walk around at less than 230. a guy like w.silva is another story.
    Last edited by BTM0085; 11-30-2008 at 12:20 AM.

disregard
    Last edited by BTM0085; 11-30-2008 at 12:20 AM.

Thread Information