WARMachine is offline Post Cycle Extraordinaire~GOT PCT?

The dream fight at 185lb is coming together!

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White recently opened the door to shuttering the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions of World Extreme Cagefighting, bolstering the UFC’s 185-pound and 205-pound ranks with some of the displaced fighters. Strong speculation has even indicated that the switch could begin following WEC’s Sept. 10, but the heads of both Zuffa-owned organizations have yet to confirm that.

The change brings rise to a pressing issue – what is the fate of WEC middleweight champ Paulo Filho? As MMAWeekly.com’s No. 2 ranked fighter in the middleweight division, he only has one man looking above him, that being longtime training partner and UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. In previous interviews, Silva has stated that he would never fight his friend.

In a recent interview with MMAWeekly Radio, however, Ed Soares, manager for both Filho and Silva, said it would be an uphill battle to convince his clients to take the fight, but said it was a possibility if MMA fans wanted it.

“If that’s the fight that the world wants to see, then I guess we’re going to have to sit back and talk about it,” Soares said. “I think that’s going to be a hard one to get across to both sides. They’re friends, they’ve been together. But at the end of the day, it’s a business, and sometimes you’ve gotta go in there, and you shake hands. They’ve been on each other for free in training. I can just tell you that it would really have to be something that makes sense for both guys.”

If history is any indication in fight negotiations, it’s sense of the dollar variety. Soares says the fight is not even on Filho’s horizon at this point; his first obligation is to fighting Chael Sonnen on Sept. 10 at WEC 36.

The champion came inches away from losing his first title defense against Sonnen at WEC 31, and dropped out of a scheduled re-match at WEC 34 due to a stint in a Brazilian rehabilitation center. Filho had reportedly suffered from depression and an unknown chemical dependence prior to his admittance. According to Soares, Filho knows his reputation is on the line.

“He’s doing great right now,” Soares said. “He had a little bit of turmoil in his life and worked through that. Right now he’s training really hard. He’s in Brazil in a secluded place outside the city right now. He’s actually training with Andre Galvao. He’s very focused; he’s very determined.

“He hasn’t been very happy with his last two performances in the WEC. He’s had time off, and he’s let some little injuries heal up, and I think you’re going to see a different Paulo Filho. From what I understand talking to him, his spirits are high, and he really wants to prove why he’s the No. 2 ranked guy in the world in the middleweight division.”

But No. 1, that’s going to take time, and a lot of convincing. It’s not out of the question, but Soares asks fans not to hold their breath.

“We’ve talked to the UFC and WEC about it, and right now, nothing’s for sure,” Soares said. “So we’ll cross that bridge when it comes.”

Im so excited i can hardly contain myself!? Could the dream match-up FINALLY happen?

False Positive is offline Junior Member
    A dream for who? This fight would barely be competitve. I assume the buzz will subside after Sonner beats Filho.

rush_604 is offline Associate Member
    Lol at barely be competitve. Its pretty obvious no one can stand with Silva at MW, so some one that can beat him is going to be some one with really good JJ, and Filho is one of the best at MW when it comes to JJ.

On a side note if Pallhares gets through Hendo I want to see him fight Anderson. I think he would put up a good fight.

I assume you mean Chael Sonnen, and you really think Paulo Filho vs. AS wouldnt be competitve? Have you ever seen Ely fight? The guy is the only real challenge left, maybe if Hendo can get another crack at AS he can beat him, but thats it at 185, no one else in the world has a shot. Lindland or Lawler maybe? But AS would probably KO Lawler, and the same with Lindland.

Rush; i really think Palhares would be better suited at 170lbs... Although, he has a AMAZING subs, his footlocks are incredible, and with Hendo being a wrestler, i think it might play right into Rousimar's hands... At the same time, if Palhares cant get him down(which honestly, i think he will have a hard time doing), hes gonna be KO'd on his feet... Either way, im excited... My brain says Hendo, but my heart says Palhares.

rush_604 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    I assume you mean Chael Sonnen, and you really think Paulo Filho vs. AS wouldnt be competitve? Have you ever seen Ely fight? The guy is the only real challenge left, maybe if Hendo can get another crack at AS he can beat him, but thats it at 185, no one else in the world has a shot. Lindland or Lawler maybe? But AS would probably KO Lawler, and the same with Lindland.

Rush; i really think Palhares would be better suited at 170lbs... Although, he has a AMAZING subs, his footlocks are incredible, and with Hendo being a wrestler, i think it might play right into Rousimar's hands... At the same time, if Palhares cant get him down(which honestly, i think he will have a hard time doing), hes gonna be KO'd on his feet... Either way, im excited... My brain says Hendo, but my heart says Palhares.
    Do u think he would be able to make MW? Ya I was watchin some of his tapes and his foot locks are fukin sick. I'm thinking the other way though, I think Rousimar is gonna pull it off and but Im also a Hendo Fan and don't wanna see him drop 3 in a row.

Well id love for nothing more for another BTT guy to make a serious run at the title, but i have so much respect for Henderson it is still hard to pick against him...

Still, my head says Hendo, my heart says Rouismar.

jonny101 is offline Associate Member

Cool

I cant wait for silver vs filho, but id still love to see Lindland silver.So silver shuts evryone up

Before evryone starts lol, i hate lindland but he is a great fighter,granted he hasn't fought the best MW's lately but i think he would have a great chance at beating silver with hes style. IMO Henderson won the 1st round of hes fight against silver and knowing what he knows he could coach linland.
    If he could get the take down he could be devastateing in GnP,and i think he is to good of a wrestler for silver to get back up easily, which is the only way i see him loseing
    i personally think lindland is a great mma fighter and should have stayed with the ufc i have no doubt that he would have been champ for a long time.

Haveing said that everyone knows what silvers stand up can do and he is 100x better striker than lindland,also he is a bjj black belt under the nogueira's.
    Which is why i think he will be able to beat filho easy. We havent seen much of hes ground game but he is a black belt so there isnt much diffrence in there skills.I realy dont understand why people underestimate his bjj its a joke!
    I give it to silver 2nd round tko
    Last edited by jonny101; 11-23-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Whos silver?

Dude you bumped a 3 month old thread...

Secondly, no one underestimates Anderson's BJJ, he sub'd Lutter whos competed at every level of BJJ.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    Dennis Siver?

jonny101 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by war4BTT View Post
    Whos silver?

Dude you bumped a 3 month old thread...

Secondly, no one underestimates Anderson's BJJ, he sub'd Lutter whos competed at every level of BJJ.

Firstly i havent been on here for 4 months iv been in afghanistan.And i read the thread and wanted to comment if you dont like it theres a little button on the top right of the screen with an X in it click it
    Second i have had numerous arguments with ppl saying his ground game isnt good,i wasnt saying someone on here said it but iv seen and heard alot of ppl say it!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny101 View Post
    Firstly i havent been on here for 4 months iv been in afghanistan.And i read the thread and wanted to comment if you dont like it theres a little button on the top right of the screen with an X in it click it
    Second i have had numerous arguments with ppl saying his ground game isnt good,i wasnt saying someone on here said it but iv seen and heard alot of ppl say it!
    Whoa chill out dude... No need to get all defensive.

And whoever said AS doesnt have good BJJ, hasnt watched him fight.

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    Silva's BJJ is sick. He is always so calm. Does anyone remember when Lutter got full mount? Most people panic but he always seems to remain calm and for gods sake he sub'd Hendo.

Thread Information