apna is offline New Member

Thumbs down Eating right for Muay-Thai / Jiu-Jitsu

Hi Guys,

I'm in the need of some advice. I recently started martial arts training about 2 months ago. I really disliked running on a tread mill or doing basic cardio at the gym. I figured I might aswell learn something and have fun while improving my cardio, stamina, etc...

Problem - I feel completely empty half-way through the classes. My stamina, endurnace, cardio, etc.... still requires improving but I do not want food to be something that holds me back while I'm learning.

Questions:
    - How many calories should I consume in the day?
    - How much should I eat before class so that at least I'm not starving myself.
    - Last what should I eat before class.

Details:

My first priority - Learn to fight, improve stamina, speed endurance, etc..
    Second priority - lose the fat. But not a very high-priority (yet)

My activities:
    - 3 x week - Standup (Muay-Thai)
    - 1 x week - Jiu-Jitsu (working on standup more for now)
    - 3 x week - weighlifting (45 minutes on weights - working on higher reps with very little rest in between) - involves core and complex training.
    - 1 day rest - (every 2nd week I get 2 days rest or work becomes a factor which forces me to skip class)

Muay-Thai Class = 1.5 hours
    Jiu-Jitsu Class = 1.5 hours
    (once every 2 weeks I do back to back training 3-hours long)

25-30 minutes - warm-up - Running, sprinting, pushups, burpees, shadow boxing, core, situps, skipping, etc....
    30 minutes - Thai pads / technique / heavy bag - little to no rest (as you know)
    30 minutes - Sparring - 4-5 minute rounds with 20-30 second rest between different fighters.

By the time I get to sparring I'm out. I feel completely empty out of energy etc... I realize thats the whole point - fight after the point of exhaustion, recover fast, adapt quickly, etc... But I just want to ensure I'm eating enough.

Weight: 214lbs
    Height: 6'1
    Body fat: 17% (mostly around stomach) (measured before joining Muay-thai)

I figure I'm burning 1000 calories per session. I do not want to over eat and gain weight. At some point I'm going to want to shred. But for now I just want to ensure I'm not wasting muscle.

Thanks in advance!!!

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Congrat on your training regiment which is amazing, i am 36 cant wait to get back.

I have always found that healty eating is the best way to eat for life.

http://www.whfoods.com/nutrientstoc.php this is the best site on the net for now for healty eating.

I always have my whey protein ON shake ready and take 3 of them, they are great to repear the body and also boost immune system which you will need with all that training.

I mix one scoop with soy milk and add an whole egg that brings me to 40g of protein 3 of them will give me 120 g per day i am around 200 pounds.

I would drink one after training PWO with some maltodextrin or dextrose in it around 100g you can buy that where you can make your own wine very cheap.

I did MMA and lost a lot of weight 3 years ago i did it for 3 months, i was not on a diet just eating the right foods and lost plenty of weight.

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    Tell us what you are eating. You have been in it for two months so do you feel are you getting empty at the same time or are you going longer and moving faster. That is a lot of information and a very good post but we need to know how much fuel you are eating and at what times.

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    I think you are burning mor ethan a 1000 a session. I know i did in muay thai

Quote Originally Posted by prone2rage View Post
    Tell us what you are eating. You have been in it for two months so do you feel are you getting empty at the same time or are you going longer and moving faster. That is a lot of information and a very good post but we need to know how much fuel you are eating and at what times.
    Meals

7:00am -
    200g of (Chicken or beef)
    180g of Brown Rice
    1 x Tablespoon UDO oil
    Vitamins, fiber, etc....

10:00-
    Protein Shake (40grams)
    half-cup Oatmeal (sometimes just green apple when on the go)

12:30-
    200g of (Chicken or beef)
    180g of brown rice
    table spoon of peanut butter

3:30-
    Protein Shake (2 x scoop whey)

5:00-5:30-
    200G (chicken or beef)
    half cup oatmeal

Class 6:30 to 8:00 (or Gym) - Sometimes class starts at 7:45 which really screws up my schedule.

8:30 -
    Protein shake
    - 8 egg whites (250 ml)
    - Scoop of whey
    - Milk (250 ml)
    - Creatine (40g carbs)
    - UDO Oil
    - Banana
    - fiber

10:30
    - half-cup 2% cottage cheese
    - Peanut butter (natrual)

11:30
    - 1 scoop Protein (20 grams)
    - 1 x Cucumbar

12:00 sleep

The protein I use is the Dymatize Elite 12 hour slow release stuff.

Thank-you!!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
    I think you are burning mor ethan a 1000 a session. I know i did in muay thai
    I'm thinking about buying a heart monitor to help me figure it out. But also to help me figure out if I'm progressing. I was thinking of getting a Polaris watch. Seems easy enough. Strap a belt around my chest and go for it.

*RAGE* is offline "T-MOS WILL LIVE THROUGH US FOREVER"
    I am sure you are burning more the a 1000 with the work out you have posted. I dont see anything wrong with you diet it looks real good. The only thing I could say is about an hour before you start training eat some complex carbs..

Thread Information