livewire57 is offline Associate Member

(VIDEO) Hitting the pads, please give me some feedback!

I know
    Last edited by livewire57; 02-03-2017 at 02:22 PM.

WHOADY4SHOADY is offline Senior Member
    Im not going to critique because I have little background in the sport, but i will give you props for putting yourself out there. Good luck man.

BRITISH ANABOLIC is offline Associate Member
    Im in boxing not MMA, but near the end at 1:37 onwards, when your throwing your shots your guard drops away from the chin, keep the guard up nice and tight, im a fast swift counter puncher, i would spot that you do that in the first round and would punish you for making that mistake. But to be fair you say your fitness levels are low at the moment, so maybe the tiredness makes you drop your hands, but what ever the reason, just keep it on the chin nice and tight bro.

But everything else is lookign good, what weight class are you and whats your fighting history?

ValeTudoFighter is offline Junior Member
    I have some questions first before critiquing.

I will assume that you are training for MMA (shin pads, trainer throwing kicks and BJJ in the background). If this is not correct and you happen to be training for a striking/standup only sport or self defense please let me know.

How long have you been training standup? What are your goals (just improve skills, to compete, turn pro, etc)? Do you prefer to punch only or will you throw kicks also? If MMA is your goal, are you a striker or grappler?

Knowing this stuff will give me a better idea of what you are looking to do. As you know, watching a boxer hit the pads and watching an MMA guy hit the pads can look extremely different but both be correct for their respective sports.

All that said and not knowing these things I would say that you have power in your punches. If you can only have one thing that is what I would pick, no matter what happens if you have KO power you are always in the fight. You keep your punches tight and short which is great. You are pivoting your feet well and getting your hips into your punches which is also very important. One thing I notice is that you seem to be pulling your right hand a bit. It is good that you are not leaving it out there and the you are snapping the punches but sometimes it looks too much like you a pulling it premature maybe. This may be something that improves overtime and the more you train you the more fluid your motions will become.

Overall you look pretty good, bottom line is I certainly wouldn’t want to get hit by you.

Oh yeah, just so you know I am not a standup expert or anything. I have a good amount experience with MMA/standup and I have been around the sport and some top fighters for years but I am a Jiu-Jitsu guy primarily.

chadstud is offline Associate Member
    U have nice crisp punches. Try to make Bringing your hands back to cover up ur chin automatic. Also you lead with th right almost everytime. Try mixing it up and jab left then right straight left hook unless your left hook isn't up to Par. Also I see mainly two punch combos. Try a three or four punch combo everyonce on a while to keep the opponent off guard. You ate putting your hips into it which is very important but I see a little too much curve in your punch which makes it a little laggish. Also if this is for mma you have to throw some kicks in
    Last edited by chadstud; 04-06-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

chadstud is offline Associate Member
    Also try and act as if you want to hurt tht guys hands when u hit them.

tudodude is offline New Member
    Be aware of where your right hand goes immediately after touching the pad. The pad man could try to give you a whack round the side of the head to encourage you to keep it as it should be. Same goes for your left.
    As far as good habits go, try to keep your elbow more in line with your fist height. I know we all lose it a bit at full speed, but it is a good habit it ingrain in to yourself.
    Be aware of leanong back when your pad man returns fire.
    Feinting is a great habit to have too, don't be a stationary head.
    Good striking is about good habits.
    You don't need to hard on pads, save it for the bag.
    All these things can be overcome by concentrating in getting your timing. Go about 30 to 40% on the pads, concentrate on timing and getting those good habits. They are worth their weight in gold.
    And don't tell me you were only going 30 to 40% .
    Really, a lot of it is about the habits and timing.as you need instinctive movement in real striking situations.
    We all lose technique and do our bad habits a bit under pressure, overcoming this is a strikers golden weapon.
    Keep it up.

gymmonster is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chadstud View Post
    U have nice crisp punches. Try to make Bringing your hands back to cover up ur chin automatic. Also you lead with th right almost everytime. Try mixing it up and jab left then right straight left hook unless your left hook isn't up to Par. Also I see mainly two punch combos. Try a three or four punch combo everyonce on a while to keep the opponent off guard. You ate putting your hips into it which is very important but I see a little too much curve in your punch which makes it a little laggish. Also if this is for mma you have to throw some kicks in
    lm not very skilled in giving this type of advice but this guy said what l was thinking when l watched so ld just like to second it.
    left righ, left righ, left right... you better work on that to easily noticed thats a terrible counter waiting. Sometimes its good to get them expecting something though, thats a good way to get the knockout punch in.
    Props man

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Looking good bro can't wait to start training myself, i never been to an MMA class and by posting this you actually showed me what pad work means. Continue great work and yeah keep theses hands up.

JAB1 is offline Member
    Good work man keep it up. I will critique in detail for you.

Good ankle turnover/hips in punches!!! very important

Now what to improve:
    First off it is very important to have a partner that will hod you accountable, if you drop your hands, he should hit you, when he does punch, it should be real(at face not shoulder, et) Im sure he thinks hes being nice, but he is helping you develop bad habbits that will be hard to break.

:you tap your fist together before throwing your first punch, horrible tell, and even a soso fighter will see this instantly and use it against you.
    :You are dropping your guard on everything, make sure you pull your hands back to guard after every punch/perry/block/whatever. This is where your partner should hit you EVERY time you do not do this, if he does not, he is doing you a dis-service. He can see the mistakes that you cannot, and should help you correct them. Reasure him you want to pay for mistakes(better in training than a fight!!)

:Teep defense- You are scooping the teep with the wrong hand/turning him the wrong way/and moving the wrong direction. reverse everything. If he teeps with right leg, you should scoop with your right hand, and move left. What you are doing does not get you out of his striking area. Reverse this and you will put yourself out of his danger zone and into yours. Always follow scoop with combo as he should be vulnerable and not square to you.

** Do NOT PREDICT ROUND KICK CATCH- sure fire way to get knocked out. after one of those I would instantly throw a couple low fakes and then superman or head kick you. YOU MUST DEFEND FIRST, then catch if you can. Keep your hand/arm covering your mid/head, and bring knee to ebow to protect side/leg. Do this all the time, or you will be in trouble. Cover/catch-cover/combo, whatever. ALWAYS cover, then disrupt his plan by catch,counter, whatever. This is prob the most dangerous flaw ive seen in the video, as far as consequence goes.

:square your elbows on roun punches. All round punches(hook/uppercut) should land 90 degree to target(square) for maximum blow. Your elbows are low and not bent correctly for optimal strike. Power will never compensate for technique, ask if you do not get exactly what I mean here.

:As mentioned, combo more, 4 punch combos at minimum.

: I do not think your mit system is the best, it seems predictive, you should use a visual recognition system, not numbered or rehersed, this is a lengthy discussion but look into it and ask questions if interested.

Keep up the good work!!!!

layeazy is offline Banned
    yeah true to look less aroused when hitting the bags might help. you technique is quite good at the beginning

AlphaGenetics is offline Senior Member
    My advice would be throw more three and four punch combos.

Thread Information