eyepoker is offline Junior Member

Ufc purchases strikeforce

The UFC just bought Strikeforce today! Now we will finally get to see ALL of the best fighters in the world compete against each other.
    Last edited by eyepoker; 03-12-2011 at 02:24 PM.

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    wonderful

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    wonderful

Hunter is offline Grateful
    bellator and dream still remain and both have solid fighters.

I dislike dana whites persona but he has done a lot to get fighters the pay they deserve. However he is a control freak, etc.

I wish he hadn't been able to buy this.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm actually a fan of Dana's and have worked for him in the past (doing bodyguard work for him and some of the UFC fighters). Anyway, I do believe he's a control freak and someone with that much power could turn MMA into what Don King did to boxing. There needs to be real competition for White in order to keep the fighters best interest at heart. Guys like Bob Arum and Oscar De La Joya came to late to save boxing and now boxing is barely treading water...much to my dismay. The future will definitely be interesting. But maybe we can finally get a Fedor/Couture fight. How much money will that make? Tons!!!!

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A monopoly is never good, the fighters need to get a union together ASAP.

It's a bad day for fighters
    Last edited by terraj; 03-21-2011 at 04:18 AM.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Like i did not have enough seeing dana white ugly face in the UFC now i will have to see that jerk in strikeforce. This is so unfair for the fighters, for lots of them strikeforce was a second chance, and white hates a lot of strikeforce fighters like Werdum and more. He cut them out of UFC for a reason.

Strikeforce should have remained with Dream and Global M-1.

Belator personally i don't like there events everything i saw from them was pertty bad, still they keep signing fighters so maybe the product will get better, or they will simply close down like bodog fights and IFL.

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    I'm actually a fan of Dana's and have worked for him in the past (doing bodyguard work for him and some of the UFC fighters). Anyway, I do believe he's a control freak and someone with that much power could turn MMA into what Don King did to boxing. There needs to be real competition for White in order to keep the fighters best interest at heart. Guys like Bob Arum and Oscar De La Joya came to late to save boxing and now boxing is barely treading water...much to my dismay. The future will definitely be interesting. But maybe we can finally get a Fedor/Couture fight. How much money will that make? Tons!!!!
    Not sure it would make that much money sadly Fedor is really going down fast and not feared as he used to be. White said he would treat both companies seperatly, Vince Macmahon did the same thing first when he bought WCW then he simply merged the two together under WWE, that could also happen then i will have eliminated strikeforce for good like they did with Pride and keep the fighters they want to keep while cutting out the rest of them. This is simply not good for MMA.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    This is a double edged sword. Fans will get better more exciting fights and some fighters will fall of by the waste side. Im excited about Lawler and Diaz fighting some UFC guys. Tell you what.....with merging WEC and if Strikeforce merges, there could be some sick fuc'n cards !!!

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What the hell ever happened to antitrust laws in the US? Its high time Dana White/Zuffa prod. was reigned in on their continuing aquisitions.

As far as Dana saying he will keep them seperate, I believe he is posturing.

Myalansky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyepoker View Post
    Now we will finally get to see ALL of the best fighters in the world compete against each other.
    Not yet really. "Business as usual" for now. There's of course also the Strikeforce-Showtime deal. Basically there will likely be some non-top UFC guys who might go fight in Strikeforce, but they will not put big cross-fights on. The UFC don't want to co-promote brands, so all Strikeforce fighters stay in Strikeforce until their contracts expire, and then the best top guys surely will be signed into the UFC. So currently it seems that to see fights like Overeem-Velasquez and Diaz-GSP we'll have to wait until their Strikeforce contracts expire. I expect that a complete merge will happen in some next couple of years, and then Strikeforce will be history, like Pride FC. I don't like this purchase.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    meh, who cares... definitely dont want to see Fedor fight anymore, especially someone with talent.

Might make some good fights in heavyweight and 170/185

dips is offline Junior Member
    the ufc is supposed to be cutting down their roster i heard. something from like 260 down to 200 fighters. sure the ufc will have all of the top talent, but if they stick to their downsizing plans than other organizations should be able to put on several decent cards. i guess it will be kinda like the nfl, afl, and canadian leagues. the nfl will always have the most talented, so the fans get always get the fights they want to see, and the other organizations get solid talent that the diehards can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    See I haven't met him personally just talked to a few fighters who have which is why I said his persona? It could be a public display for all I know

I have more complaints against joe silva the "match maker" then dana.

I disagree with how they bring certain fighters up. For example I believe the reason Jon fitch has done so well is because he flew under the radar and was slowly brought up against talent then being thrown to the wolves. I think Evan Dunham should have been brought up slower then he was.

Some title shots just dont make sense to me.

I think we can agree certain fighters will never be title contenders but put on some amazing fights so don't cut them keep them around and match up just for fan entertainment. Ex mark hunt

gate keepers of all levels are needed and sometimes joe silva doesn't see that.

just a few complaints of mine.

Competition is always good, now there is none. White is going to do the same thing as he did with Pride, no we will run them separate companies, then he proceed to dissolve Pride and release the fighters he did not want.

People are exited to see fights with nick diaz, robbie lawler, Fabrico Werdum but they tend to forget that Dana was the one that fired them from UFC. Josh Barnett said he sees great things coming out of this union but he fears is relationship with White might put him in trouble.

What about fighters like Brandon Vera, Todd Duffy to name a few that where recently release from UFC, Strikeforce might have been a new home for them, but make sure White will not allow that.

He is going to build the UFC as the only MMA promotion, he will take MMA accross the globe but people need to stop dreaming Strikeforce will be dissolved its only a matter of time. Fedor will be released, Werdum, Barnett and even Frank Shamrock who hates White with all is gut.

I would not want to be an MMA fighter in theses times.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Love or Hate Dana, this sport would not be what it is without him. So while we hate the fact that his monopoly will dismiss a lot of great fighters, we are brought this sport as a whole by people like him.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter View Post
    See I haven't met him personally just talked to a few fighters who have which is why I said his persona? It could be a public display for all I know

I have more complaints against joe silva the "match maker" then dana.

I disagree with how they bring certain fighters up. For example I believe the reason Jon fitch has done so well is because he flew under the radar and was slowly brought up against talent then being thrown to the wolves. I think Evan Dunham should have been brought up slower then he was.

Some title shots just dont make sense to me.

I think we can agree certain fighters will never be title contenders but put on some amazing fights so don't cut them keep them around and match up just for fan entertainment. Ex mark hunt

100% agree with you MN. Dana does have a public persona which is different from his private persona. But he's a shrewd business man and he knows that people will pay more attention the bad guy than the good guy. Especially in the fight game.

But otherwise, you are dead on. Because, honestly, I'm less interested in title fights and more interested in certain matchups. I would love to see Diaz and GSP, Couture and Fedor, and King Mo and Rampage.

BG

this is huge. Fans aren't always looking for a contender working his way up. But good fight from 2 well matched guys that give 100% will satisfy every time.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

The ufc can get into tough spots with fighters.

For example jon fitch will never beat gsp yet if they keep him he will just knock off #1 contenders because he is the 2nd best fighter in the world at 170. You could argue sheilds but after his display against Kappman he needs to prove himself.

I guess i see it with gate keepers. At 170 you have Lytle. He will never fight for a belt but beating him kinda grants you the right to fight the top teir fighters. Not all weight classes have this but they need to instead of cutting them

2ndly fans like certain match ups. I know mark hunt will not ever be a champion but watching him fight other strikers is fun. Wh wouldn't want to see him fight pat berry?

I think with a better match maker the ufc would be that much better.

BG
    I think with a better match maker the ufc would be that much better.
    You hit the nail on the head. Or even a few people choosing, this way you would geta nice diverse selection.

grappler11 is offline New Member
    Fans are generally short sighted and the first thing that we think is "OMG!! Fedor and Brock are gonna throw down!" The Holy Grail in this deal is the TV contract with CBS, and to a lesser extent showtime. In the grand scheme of things the fighter contracts are not that valuable, the fighters are simply pawns in the mma game.

It will be close to business as usual for a time, until UFC absorbs strikeforce. After that we will see UFC on Versus on tuesday nights. UFC on Showtime on thursday nights. UFC "friday night fights" on CBS , and TUF on spike, with a monthly PPV.

I know that there are a lot of haters , but when the promoters have the upper hand vs. the fighters it it is best for the fans. Fedor/M1 has been acting like a boxer ever since he left pride. If Cain , Brock, GSP, A. Silva all decided to start their own promotions and re-negotiate contracts after every bout then mma will turn into boxing.

Phosphor is offline Junior Member
    At the end of the day it's just about money, that's it. I am mixed with Dana in general and this Strikeforce purchase, since it narrows the playing field and lessens the competition of the business model. On the upside, there could be some new meat to take a shot at titles on the UFC and shake things up a bit. Some of the title holders in the UFC have been there a while and it's getting kind of stale - don't get me wrong, they have earned it beyond a doubt, but still.. it's stale. Contenders have to come back seconds, thirds.. forth shots at the champ and still get beat down to a pulp handedly. In the end, I could care less because it's just entertainment. I plan on never, ever paying for ufc tix or even a ppv event at my house - I go to the bars or download it later if I'm not too excited about who's battling that night. The last few have been complete snooze-fests imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor View Post
    At the end of the day it's just about money, that's it. I am mixed with Dana in general and this Strikeforce purchase, since it narrows the playing field and lessens the competition of the business model. On the upside, there could be some new meat to take a shot at titles on the UFC and shake things up a bit. Some of the title holders in the UFC have been there a while and it's getting kind of stale - don't get me wrong, they have earned it beyond a doubt, but still.. it's stale. Contenders have to come back seconds, thirds.. forth shots at the champ and still get beat down to a pulp handedly. In the end, I could care less because it's just entertainment. I plan on never, ever paying for ufc tix or even a ppv event at my house - I go to the bars or download it later if I'm not too excited about who's battling that night. The last few have been complete snooze-fests imo.
    I always download the events after the ppv, no way am i going to pay 69$ for this in HD. Still when they come to Montreal i will go the event live.

nevergiveup is offline Junior Member
    I waiting to see Diaz back in the UFC or have some better match ups here in the near future. The fighters are paws for the most part, they just need to know how to play the game. Its also an opportunity for them. Can't believe the guy on the ultimate fighter giving up already because he is home sick, you only get a few chances in life like that and sometimes its a little hard but the struggle is how you enjoy the rewards.

Thread Information