tupollo is offline Junior Member

UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva fined $33,750, license revoked for 12 months

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23148/ufc-...-12-months.mma

UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva fined $33,750, license revoked for 12 months
    for steroid use .

by John Morgan on Apr 07, 2011 at 2:10 pm ET
    LAS VEGAS – UFC light heavyweight Thiago Silva (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) had his license revoked through Jan. 1, 2012, and was fined $33,750 following his admission to the Nevada State Athletic Commission that he knowingly used steroids and provided a synthetic urine sample in his pre-UFC 125 drug screen.

The result of his unanimous-decision win over Vera was also overturned to a "no contest."

Silva waived his right for an attorney and additional time to prepare a defense in favor of a speedy ruling at Thursday's NSAC monthly meeting, which took place at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

"I'm here just to tell the truth," Silva said.

In March, Silva was served with a formal NSAC complaint after two separate urinalysis samples revealed a substance that was "inconsistent with human urine," which indicated that he "submitted an adulterated and/or substituted specimen for testing for the urinalysis." Silva's first test was flagged, which prompted further testing by the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory, which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

The Brazilian was accompanied to Thursday's hearing by his manager and friend, Eddie Miranda, who also served as an interpreter. However, Silva answered the majority of the commission's questions in English.

Silva admitted to twice taking a prescription steroid , delivered by a doctor via epidural, during the training camp for his Jan. 1 bout with Vera at UFC 125, which took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The Brazilian said he took the first dose 45 days prior to the bout and a second 30 days before the contest.

Silva admitted to the commission he knew the injections were in direct violation of NSAC regulations but said he felt compelled to cheat in order to support his family.

"I just want to apologize for what I did," Silva said following the conclusion of the prosecution's cut-and-dry presentation. "I did what I did because my back was very, very bad a couple months (before the fight). I had not fought for one year. I was completely broke. I have a family. People depend on my money. I was desperate to do something.

"I know what I did is wrong. Like I said, I'm so sorry. I had my reasons. People depend on my money, and I had to give them support."

Silva said the same back injury that forced him to withdraw from a planned UFC 117 fight with Tim Boetsch again became an issue while preparing for Vera, and he could not afford to withdraw from another fight. Citing the pain caused from three herniated discs, Silva said he turned to a doctor to administer the steroids and then provided a "fake" urine sample, which he said he purchased on the Internet from ClearTest.com approximately two weeks before the UFC 125 bout.

Silva testified that he simply turned his back to the NSAC inspector, opened a container of synthetic urine that he had kept hidden in his shorts and dumped the contents in the testing vial.

Silva, who defeated Vera via unanimous decision, was paid a $55,00 purse for the fight, as well as an additional $55,000 win bonus.

NSAC commissioners originally recommended a fine of one-third of Silva's "show" purse, as well as his entire win bonus, but citing the Brazilian's "candor and honesty" eventually settled on 25-percent of his purse ($13,750) and $20,000 of the win bonus for a total fine of $33,750.

Silva dodged a bit of a bullet with his suspension, as NSAC executive director Keith Kizer recommended the 12-month suspension begin with Thursday's hearing rather than the more traditional procedure of backdating the first day of the suspension to the date of the fight in question.

Kizer cited Silva's reluctance to fess up to the charges until his "B" sample returned with the same findings as the first test. However, the commissioners instead elected to reward Silva for his belated admissions and chose to stick with the traditional routine. Silva is eligible to reapply for a license on Jan. 2, 2012, and he will have to provide a drug-free (and authentic) urine sample.

Following the hearing, Silva declined to comment to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

In addition to the ruling on Silva, the NSAC also admitted a need for increased attention to detail in their drug-screening procedures.

"I have to say I think as a commission we have to take responsibility for the way this process works," commissioner Francisco Aguilar stated at the conclusion of the hearing. "Had our inspectors been doing the job that they are hired to do and are expected to do by this commission, this would have never happened.

"I think we have to look at ourselves, and we have to look at the process, and we have to look at our inspectors to make sure we have the best inspectors in that room, who are willing to forego the social aspect of a fight and be there to do a job."

Silva's case is the first involving an MMA athlete using fake urine since late 2006, when Kevin Randleman attempted to conceal his use of prescription medication in a test administered after his submission loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at PRIDE 32. Randleman was fined $5,000 of his $40,000 purse and also had his license revoked. "The Monster" has yet to reapply.

For complete coverage of UFC 125, check out the UFC Events section of MMAjunkie.com.

kelevra is offline Member
    juice users... they're all cheaters grrrr...
    maybe he should have asked some guys on the board.. LOL

this is just silly....ask some of the folks on this board who are in the know....there is a lot of anabolics in mma...

just look on the board, there is a knew 18 year old daily answering questions as if they were pros. Yes AAS are every where and why not. whish i could get them with milk.LOL the only thing for sports is they should have a pro AAS league where gear is legal and the natural league. That would be cool for Sundays. The AAS NFL. then you could have the Natural NFL on Sat or something. Just ideas mate.

its a good idea although it doesn't have to be gear vs no gear per se...you leave the regulation up to each organization...you could end up with all gear or all non gear promotions but at least its up to the business itself....
    Last edited by tupollo; 04-08-2011 at 10:34 PM.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    That really sucks because i really like to see that guy fight, he is very cocky and can really put a beating on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by tupollo View Post
    its a good idea although it doesn't have to be gear vs no gear per se...you leave the regulation up to each organization...you could end up with all gear or all non gear promotions but at least its up to the business itself....
    maybe we could promote this?? I'm thinking who wants to watch the NFL any more anyway. They could watch a Linebacker on 2grams of test and half that of tren .It would be better than that XFL whatever crap the wrestler guy came up with some years ago.... LOL

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    They should just allow it, so many guys are doing it but only a few get caught.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    The acceptance of AAS in major sports in the US would never happen because it goes against America's underlying ideals of continuing to lie to ourselves about our "natural" superiority to the rest of the world. You know the idea...we are better because of hard work, taking our vitamins, and saying our prayers. Remember the movie "Bigger Stronger Faster"? Hits the nail on the head. In other profession its ok to do things to make yourself better and more productive, but God-forbid, let an athlete do it...

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    The acceptance of AAS in major sports in the US would never happen because it goes against America's underlying ideals of continuing to lie to ourselves about our "natural" superiority to the rest of the world. You know the idea...we are better because of hard work, taking our vitamins, and saying our prayers. Remember the movie "Bigger Stronger Faster"? Hits the nail on the head. In other profession its ok to do things to make yourself better and more productive, but God-forbid, let an athlete do it...
    of course you picked up on my humor above. i would actually hate for the leash removed from competitive athletes. Just look at the BB now compared to the older ones. More and more and more. I have no probs with use in BB or recreational lifters however I would hate for my son or daughter to have to be on gear to be competitive at any level. I'm guessing you were O line or D line. If they could take gear LB would be 290+ LOL.
    Oh yeah, that was a good show to. I showed it to my wife right before i broke the news i wanted to try AAS.

nevergiveup is offline Junior Member
    I wonder if Dana White will let him fight again.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    He could always go to strikeforce, OUPS .... UFC just bough them

clemont51 is offline Banned
    BigMc, good and pithy comments.

nevergiveup is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tupollo View Post
    this is just silly....ask some of the folks on this board who are in the know....there is a lot of anabolics in mma...
    Officer those needles are for my ears

n00bs is offline Member
    drugs in sports????????? Omg what who would of thought!!!!!!!!!!!!

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I am no expert so correct me if I am wrong but isn't this outside of Dana White or any other US fight promotors control? I would think that if your fights are under the control of the athletic commision that the testing is a mandate of that org not a choice for the fight promotor. So unless you wanted to form an outlaw fight club and try to sneak by fight bans by doing it on indian reservations like the early no rules days, you are stuck with this crap in the USA (you know the land of the free...you are under arrest for no seatbelt says the officer on the motorcycle)

To a certain extent this is one of the few sports where I can almost understand steroid regs, if its legal then how do you keep guys from coming in jacked up on huge doses of milberon and other mood altering AAS...which could be a problem when you are dealing with split second decisions on tapouts from submission holds where a split second decision can cost someone all the ligaments in their knee.

Of course that said the sport is also one so demanding that without steroid usage the quality of the competition would suffer greatly so I withdraw the earlier objection ;-)

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    oh no!!! steroids are going to ruin MMA too? first baseball, and now this!!!! I cant handle it...

Thread Information