Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: how to become a good MMA fighter?

aussie_bodybuilda is offline Associate Member

how to become a good MMA fighter?

so if u want to become a good MMA fighter , what sort of stuff should u focus on training ....?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    ummmmm...everything! Pretty much all aspects of mma. I guess its common sense. You have to train standup, wrestling, BJJ, conditioning, etc.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Find yourself a good..solid..reputable school and be trained properly.

yeah but i mean like should u u still do weights etc? or just focus on the MMA aspects of things

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    You should still do resistance training, i would perhaps focus on powerlifting / functional strength training and also muscle endurance type training as well, i would limit the resistance training to 3 days per week and spend the rest of time workingon atual fighting techniques.
    humbletx2013 likes this.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You need to get your head around getting punched in the face hard, by getting punched in the face.

I trained with some skilled MoFos who have had the wheels fall off after one smack.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE_XXL View Post
    You should still do resistance training, i would perhaps focus on powerlifting / functional strength training and also muscle endurance type training as well, i would limit the resistance training to 3 days per week and spend the rest of time workingon atual fighting techniques.
    very interesting mike, so 3 days MAX a week of resistance training u reckon, then probly 3 days of MMA / training ? and 1 day rest.? something like that would be a good routine u reckon? and for the 3 days of resistance wat u reckon would be a good way to do it, like which muscle groups which day, which exercises, how many exercises , sets , reps, rests between sets etc?

Quote Originally Posted by terraj View Post
    You need to get your head around getting punched in the face hard, by getting punched in the face.

I trained with some skilled MoFos who have had the wheels fall off after one smack.
    ya dont mind getting the shit beat out of me i like fighting people better then me, makes u tuffer, wiser, better etc lol :P

You should split the body into two parts and do powerlifting type training, functional movements, all compound exercieses, no cables no silly dumbel flies, just squats, deadlifts bench presses, over head presses, chin ups, clean & jerks, snatches etc, you should get the idea frmo that...as for 3rd day it would be muscle endurance; it is a circute style training iwht 70-80% of your max lifts moving very quickly from one excersise to the next no more then 5-10 seconds brake between sets, here you can do more regular type of excersises and do not have to focus on compound movements, the idea is to increase the muscle endurance and ability to clear lactic acid from the muscle and deliver oxygen to the muscle, you can think of it as cardio with weights, you can look up Tabata training from an idea how that is done and muscle endurance training.
    Good luck...XXL

You should split the body into two parts and do powerlifting type training, functional movements, all compound exercieses, no cables no silly dumbel flies, just squats, deadlifts bench presses, over head presses, chin ups, clean & jerks, snatches etc, you should get the idea frmo that...as for 3rd day it would be muscle endurance; it is a circute style training iwht 70-80% of your max lifts moving very quickly from one excersise to the next no more then 5-10 seconds brake between sets, here you can do more regular type of excersises and do not have to focus on compound movements, the idea is to increase the muscle endurance and ability to clear lactic acid from the muscle and deliver oxygen to the muscle, you can think of it as cardio with weights, you can look up Tabata training from an idea how that is done and muscle endurance training.
    Good luck...XXL
    nice , so here would be my routine:
    MON : mma training.
    TUES: weight power training.
    WED: mma training.
    THURS: weight Power training.
    FRI: mma training
    SAT:weight endurance training
    SUN: rest

something like that look good?

and how many sets would u be aiming for roughly in the endurance day... obviously to failure ? but prob in the 12-20 range im guessing? ( 5-10 sec breaks sounds like death lol, wouldnt 60-70% of 1RM be better to start with )
    humbletx2013 likes this.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Go to a bar find about 3 big guys and bltch slap all three and try to fight your way out of the bar, do this multiple timeas a week and you should be ready in no time!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Go to a bar find about 3 big guys and bltch slap all three and try to fight your way out of the bar, do this multiple timeas a week and you should be ready in no time!!! lol
    u talk from experience? lol

Aussie BBer, that sounds good...

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_bodybuilda View Post
    u talk from experience? lol
    No but it sounded like a good training idea when I read your post! lol

Aussie BBer, that sounds good...
    yah looks good 2 me aswell. how would u split the muscles up when u train them tho? cus u only have 3 days of weights.

Kostas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by **** View Post
    Find yourself a good..solid..reputable school and be trained properly.
    What he said

You need to learn form someone who has exp on this subject,this must be your first step

Remember though that almost every fights ends up to the ground,keep that in mind

jtuner77 is offline Member
    From someone that has messed with it a "lil" bit I would say first and foremost a good base of wrestling, Greco Roman Wrestling, Judo, Jujitsu and boxing and then you learn how to intertwine them all together.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries

and how many sets would u be aiming for roughly in the endurance day... obviously to failure ? but prob in the 12-20 range im guessing? ( 5-10 sec breaks sounds like death lol, wouldnt 60-70% of 1RM be better to start with )
    your gona need cardio in there also

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    your gona need cardio in there also
    mma training is cardio... lol

I will not deny that cardio is important for MMA but muscle endurance is even more important, unbtill you have done Tabata training and/or a really well designed muscle endurance circuit you ihaven't done cardio, i have nearly killed people with tabata training who can run at 9-12mph and still talk...XXL

mma training is cardio... lol
    Did you do what I recommended? You have to show you have some raw natural talent before you can become a great fighter. Kimbo Slice went around beating the hell out of all his neighbors lmao, but didnt make it that far in MMA. He has power but not real talent.

Quote Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
    Did you do what I recommended? You have to show you have some raw natural talent before you can become a great fighter. Kimbo Slice went around beating the hell out of all his neighbors lmao, but didnt make it that far in MMA. He has power but not real talent.
    he probly has natural talent just didnt train as hard enuff compared to other people he fought or ( plus his old ).. all the videos on the streets are vs bums and people that have no idea about fighting most likely by the looks of it. its all about how hard/smart u train the more effort and hard work u put in the better u will go in life that goes with anything.

I will not deny that cardio is important for MMA but muscle endurance is even more important, unbtill you have done Tabata training and/or a really well designed muscle endurance circuit you ihaven't done cardio, i have nearly killed people with tabata training who can run at 9-12mph and still talk...XXL
    ya very interesting i will look up the tabata training, looks hard and intense, but u didnt answer my last question.. how would u split the muscles up when u train them tho? cus u only have 3 days of weights.

upper and body one day, lower body next day...soon enough you will get better service then my paid customer...LMOA!

upper and body one day, lower body next day...soon enough you will get better service then my paid customer...LMOA!
    so upper body u would train chest back shoulders traps arms, and lower body just legs / lower back ? and in tabata training u would do , all over body workout im assuming?

paid customers are n000bs they pay u for a reason :P, we are hear to learn things cus we love this industry ! we deserve the free help ! lol

brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    Everything mike xxl said is great if advice!! Except the fact that you dont fight with your lower body one day and your upper body the next so you prob shouldnt train that way. You will benefit more from full body exersises and total body functional circut training. You can improve your fight cardio alot more circut training then you can with standard cardio. I have trained in mma for several years and live in an area where lots of big name stars come from here in cali so i can speak from exp that this will get you the preformace you need the fastest. Everything else Mikke xxl said i agree with 100%

Live2Fight is offline New Member
    The biggest thing I have ever learned in any hand to hand combat sport is learning to keep cool and relax. Some people have it, some dont and never will. And then train your ass off.

Live2Fight is offline New Member
    BTW... Whats your age and what experiance do you have if any. Just my own humble opinion but when you say MMA fighter, to me that means you compete. Your age and experiance will probably help any "GOOD" advice out there. If you told me that you were 30 yoa and no formal training, I'd tell ya to never compete.

TopGunn is offline New Member
    One, strength is no where near important as your cardio, MMA is 80% cardio. Another get in a local Boxing or BJJ gym some have both combined. Train at that one place and do not miss any practices, you must stay consecutive or you will never succeed.

Floydian is offline Banned
    my friend mma fighter he said powerlifting exercises are so good for mma fighters

68charger is offline Junior Member
    I would like to hear more about tabata training. Could you post up a routine? I would like to try it out. I googled it and found several variations.
    I'm willing to try anything that will help my stamina.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have been doing this full body workout type training 3 times per week and its very good

Squat/Hack squat
    Bench press/Incline, Decline press
    Military press/ Lateral raise
    Lat Pull down/ Pullups
    Upright row
    Triceps pushdown/Behind the head extensions
    Leg extension/Leg press
    Biceps curl/Concentration curls
    Leg curl/One-legged extensions

3 sets of 6-8-10 reps

The Rock! is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fight View Post
    BTW... Whats your age and what experiance do you have if any. Just my own humble opinion but when you say MMA fighter, to me that means you compete. Your age and experiance will probably help any "GOOD" advice out there. If you told me that you were 30 yoa and no formal training, I'd tell ya to never compete.
    Whoa there fella... How long have you been coaching?

I'm 35, studied martial arts all of my life but never BJJ. But then I hit my first jiu-jitsu mat 3 years ago. I've competed in local tournaments (Masters & Adult, gi and no gi), traveled to Brazil and trained with Gracies and now hook up with Jeff Currans team here in Illinois. I've fought many MMA matches against the "fresh & fast" 19 year olds.

My record? 14-2-0. At 35 years old.

Age doesn't matter, its the size of heart in the fighter. Will I ever make it to the UFC? I doubt it. But when I compete or train I give it 100%. It doesn't matter if I fight for 3000 people or 300.

To the OP, get your ground game together. That cardio is ridiculous. Then work your powerlifting and drill things specific to MMA. A good coach can give you the perfect program.

68charger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    I have been doing this full body workout type training 3 times per week and its very good

Squat/Hack squat
    Bench press/Incline, Decline press
    Military press/ Lateral raise
    Lat Pull down/ Pullups
    Upright row
    Triceps pushdown/Behind the head extensions
    Leg extension/Leg press
    Biceps curl/Concentration curls
    Leg curl/One-legged extensions

3 sets of 6-8-10 reps
    Do you up the weight each set or just higher rep? Would it work to go 10-8-6 instead and up the weight each set?

bruary17 is offline Member
    OP, are you 11?

^ He is an Aussie!!!!

choker28 is offline Junior Member
    seek out and train with best in each discipline's,there are so many so called MMA coaches out there.They have the gear but no idea

jayvio is offline Junior Member
    if u have the time, u gonna need to train mma 5 days a week so ur gonna have 3 2adays in there as well.. also in the begining i would break your mma training into seperate things, like, do grappling one day muay thai another and wrestling an other then maybe put it all together for a few days a week too..

jayvio is offline Junior Member
    Mike XXL. i would love to talk to u about my mma training and career also what i should be taking to enhance it...i live in las vegas. PM me on here if u get a chance please

thanks, Jay

Parabolic is offline Junior Member
    Seek out and train with good guys, and train alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information