Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries

any muay thai fighters?

is it difficult to get good at? i know you get what you put in, but im passing up the whole getting huge thing now and discontinuing cycling.

im really interested in muay thai to learn proper technique to get full power and good speed into kicks and punches.

im guessing i'll need to work on flexibility big time as im quite stiff from all the years of plifting.

im not looking to get into competition, just want a fresh interesting training discipline, and a good fighting technique always helps for door work i guess

any info would be appreciated. cheers
    Last edited by dec11; 07-06-2011 at 10:18 PM.

wmaousley is offline American Bedoo
    Im A Muay Thai drinker

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lca05 View Post
    hi i train muay thai just got a few thing that may help, it doesnt matter what size you are the technique and flexibility will come over time try not to worry about hitting hard and putting power in at first try to get the technique then it will flow alot better then with proper technique power will come.
    dont drop the weight training just add more cardio the fitter you bodys is the faster you will recover and the sharper you will be in a fight {example recovering inbetween rounds and from getting hit}

i dont compete but have done it for years the way i look at it is i want to be fitter and sharper the an avarage joe on the street just to have a metal edge and i know how to fight and that my cardio wont let me down not only that if all fails me i know iv got good cardio and can run fast and hard

work the clinch most street fights end up grabing and rooling around on the floor having good knowledge of the clinch {plum} will help with you door work.

in sparing dont alway be eager to hit try defending and counter fighting figure them out {they may move a certain way just before a throwing a certain shot i.e droping they shoulder the way they sway the hands before a jab sharpen up you eyes}

dont try nothing fancy stick to the basics

with kicks and knees it all about pushing it through with your hips at first its hard but work on getting the technique right rather the putting power in.

anything eles i can help with just ask or pm me
    cheers mate, i will still do weights, just lighter, just no more 260kg deadlifts etc. i did karate years ago so i have a bit of technique in snap, push and roundhouse kicks. just really want to sharpen and speed up, improve boxing skills and would rather get my cardio and flexibility from something interesting like this.

cheers for the info.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I do muay thai on tuesdays and thursdays for 2-4 hours and saturdays for 1 hour. It takes a while to get but its fun as hell. I don't have it down yet.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I trained in Muay Thai for 2 years 5 days a week 2hrs a day... Got fairly good

Go for it, expect to loose some weight if you wanna be at all competitive

Once you start, you will want to be competitive

As for fitness I think it is probably the best and most intresting thing out there that you can do

6 x 3min rounds of low kicks! Singles, doubles, tripples

I dont care what anyone says, that takes heart and drive!

You get out what you put in as far as your fitness level goes, its that simple. Some guys used to just get through the 3 min rounds of low kicks and pace themselves. **** that, 100% from the first kick to the last, you will wanna be sick after the first round.

But you will have the best euphoric feeling when you drive home after the session. Amazing
    Last edited by baseline_9; 07-08-2011 at 01:05 AM.
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    I trained in Muay Thai for 2 years 5 days a week 2hrs a day... Got fairly good

Go for it, expect to loose some weight if you wanna be at all competitive

Once you start, you will want to be competitive

As for fitness I think it is probably the best and most intresting thing out there that you can do

6 x 3min rounds of low kicks! Singles, doubles, tripples

I dont care what anyone says, that takes heart and drive!

You get out what you put in as far as your fitness level goes, its that simple. Some guys used to just get through the 3 min rounds of low kicks and pace themselves. **** that, 100% from the first kick to the last, you will wanna be sick after the first round.

But you will have the best euphoric feeling when you drive home after the session. Amazing
    sounds good to me!! i plan on 2 days per week for 2hrs each session, and weights x3 per week, hard to fit everything around erratic work schedule. you reckon x2 pw is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    sounds good to me!! i plan on 2 days per week for 2hrs each session, and weights x3 per week, hard to fit everything around erratic work schedule. you reckon x2 pw is enough?
    Enough for what?
    Practice shadow boxing and there are plenty of beginner youtube videos. Watch a bunch of videos of someone you want to fight like and shadow box at night then go to sleep thinking about it. Trust me on this one. I watch Cung Le videos. Guys crazy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Enough for what?
    Practice shadow boxing and there are plenty of beginner youtube videos. Watch a bunch of videos of someone you want to fight like and shadow box at night then go to sleep thinking about it. Trust me on this one. I watch Cung Le videos. Guys crazy
    enough to get good at it

enough to get good at it
    Even with one day a week you would be better than someone who just street fights and doesn't know any mma. It's all about repetition and reflexes. Once you can spot the punch or kick and it is a reflex to respond the correct way then you are good. But you gotta spar for that. Practice shadow boxing and making your punches "snap." You will get good at it if you go two days a week. It might take a while though. Flexibility is killing me right now. I have no flexibility in my hips so its a struggle to even throw good leg kicks. In your line of work I would be working on countering and kicking to keep people at a distance.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Shadow boxing will help a ton and is very important and even better if you have a large mirror. Dont neglect your road work if your going to compete. Work on your movements becoming smooth and not jerky, foot work is everything remember speed kills. You will get in what you put in like most things in life.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    My instinct tells me you will be GREAT at this Dec! And good for you too~
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Even with one day a week you would be better than someone who just street fights and doesn't know any mma. It's all about repetition and reflexes. Once you can spot the punch or kick and it is a reflex to respond the correct way then you are good. But you gotta spar for that. Practice shadow boxing and making your punches "snap." You will get good at it if you go two days a week. It might take a while though. Flexibility is killing me right now. I have no flexibility in my hips so its a struggle to even throw good leg kicks. In your line of work I would be working on countering and kicking to keep people at a distance.
    cheers, yeah flexibility is something i need to sharpen up, esp hips as plifting tends to seriously build this area. i intend dropping 14lbs which should help with flexibility range.

Quote Originally Posted by mn_fighter View Post
    Shadow boxing will help a ton and is very important and even better if you have a large mirror. Dont neglect your road work if your going to compete. Work on your movements becoming smooth and not jerky, foot work is everything remember speed kills. You will get in what you put in like most things in life.
    cheers man, very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    My instinct tells me you will be GREAT at this Dec! And good for you too~
    thanks slim, if i find something interesting i usually excel.

heist is offline New Member
    Yeah I used to live and train in Bangkok. I guess important for you to find a gym that teaches correct technique with good pad holders and decent sparring partners. Sometimers in the west we have to sacrifice one for the other.

These are a couple of example training sessions from my diary

Sessions 1
    8km jog
    6 rounds clinch sparring
    4 rounds heavy bag
    100 kicks heavy bag
    100 knees heavy bag
    2 sets pull ups (max)
    2 sets shoulder press (max)
    2 set bicep curl (max)

Example 2
    6km jog
    1 round shadow boxing
    3 rounds thai pads
    1 round teep kick block
    1 round upper cut block
    4 rounds heavy bag set combos
    2 rounds tyre/footwork
    50 teep kicks heavy bag
    50 knees heavy bag
    2 sets shoulder press
    2 sets bicep curl
    2 sets situps

Used to train twice a day, for 4/6 hours total (depending how youre cycling your training but that was the general rule)

Important to note though, I think over the next 20/30 years we're going to see a shift away from the dominance of the thais in the sport. We are already starting to see it actually. The Thais are not big on sports science, dont pay a lot of attention to diet.. I think we'll see a lot more European and Australian fighters winning major titles over there. If I'd dropped a couple of boxing sessions a week, lifted weights properly, ate properly I think I would have done much better.

Anyway, it doesnt take long to get good at it, important thing is to stay relaxed throughout the techniques. Speed and power will come later.. dont force it. The thais have a saying.. slowly slowly.. and it's so true with MT. Chok dee (good luck!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heist View Post
    Yeah I used to live and train in Bangkok. I guess important for you to find a gym that teaches correct technique with good pad holders and decent sparring partners. Sometimers in the west we have to sacrifice one for the other.

These are a couple of example training sessions from my diary

Sessions 1
    8km jog
    6 rounds clinch sparring
    4 rounds heavy bag
    100 kicks heavy bag
    100 knees heavy bag
    2 sets pull ups (max)
    2 sets shoulder press (max)
    2 set bicep curl (max)

Example 2
    6km jog
    1 round shadow boxing
    3 rounds thai pads
    1 round teep kick block
    1 round upper cut block
    4 rounds heavy bag set combos
    2 rounds tyre/footwork
    50 teep kicks heavy bag
    50 knees heavy bag
    2 sets shoulder press
    2 sets bicep curl
    2 sets situps

Used to train twice a day, for 4/6 hours total (depending how youre cycling your training but that was the general rule)

Important to note though, I think over the next 20/30 years we're going to see a shift away from the dominance of the thais in the sport. We are already starting to see it actually. The Thais are not big on sports science, dont pay a lot of attention to diet.. I think we'll see a lot more European and Australian fighters winning major titles over there. If I'd dropped a couple of boxing sessions a week, lifted weights properly, ate properly I think I would have done much better.

Anyway, it doesnt take long to get good at it, important thing is to stay relaxed throughout the techniques. Speed and power will come later.. dont force it. The thais have a saying.. slowly slowly.. and it's so true with MT. Chok dee (good luck!)
    cheers man, im up for all bar the jogging, have bad shin splints although laying off heavy squats should help a tad. the place im going to has produced national and international champs so in going to a good stable. i have masses of power (100kg class plifter) and im fairly fast on the reflexes but i do intend to get good technique in place to maximise all. i doubt if i'll ever compete, more for efficient self defence and fitness.

in your experience is it vital to drop a bit of muscle weight (currently 103kg 13% bf), or if i can get my flexibility up to speed should i be ok?

thanks very much for your time

heist is offline New Member
    Well I asked this guy

how to improve the conditioning in my thighs and he told me to run more. They believe runnings not only important for fitness but conditioning and building muscle density. I'm sure your trainers can help you train around your injury anyhow.

It's hard to say what is a good weight for you to be at without seeing you train. If you're not going to compete I wouldn't worry about it so much. Obviously if you compete you're going to have to be wary of going up a weight division at 105/230.

Sorry I can't be much help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heist View Post
    Well I asked this guy

how to improve the conditioning in my thighs and he told me to run more. They believe runnings not only important for fitness but conditioning and building muscle density. I'm sure your trainers can help you train around your injury anyhow.

It's hard to say what is a good weight for you to be at without seeing you train. If you're not going to compete I wouldn't worry about it so much. Obviously if you compete you're going to have to be wary of going up a weight division at 105/230.

Sorry I can't be much help.
    my flexibility does need work but if one thing, i am lightning quick and can turn an attack into defence very fast (plenty exp working doors) but i would need coordination practice with strikes rather than just using brute strength (and the odd headbutt ) to subdue.

that geezer in the vid looks a killing machine! love the knee swipes, thats always my pre-emptive strike if i know its gona kick off at the door

and you've been loads of help mate, cheers
    Last edited by dec11; 07-30-2011 at 11:35 AM.

DeniZen is offline Associate Member
    Last edited by DeniZen; 07-31-2011 at 12:20 PM.

workhardgethuge is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries
    is it difficult to get good at? i know you get what you put in, but im passing up the whole getting huge thing now and discontinuing cycling.

im really interested in muay thai to learn proper technique to get full power and good speed into kicks and punches.

im guessing i'll need to work on flexibility big time as im quite stiff from all the years of plifting.

im not looking to get into competition, just want a fresh interesting training discipline, and a good fighting technique always helps for door work i guess

any info would be appreciated. cheers
    I train Muay Thai, I have for many years and I suck compared to a lot of MT practitioners, There have been kids that are new to the gym that have picked it up and far surpass my abilities in just a few months. That said you may or may not have a natural ability, give it a try , you have nothing to lose, and honestly theres nothing like deliverying the cobra punch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by workhardgethuge View Post
    I train Muay Thai, I have for many years and I suck compared to a lot of MT practitioners, There have been kids that are new to the gym that have picked it up and far surpass my abilities in just a few months. That said you may or may not have a natural ability, give it a try , you have nothing to lose, and honestly theres nothing like deliverying the cobra punch!
    yeah lol. im v determined with things like this and still rem afew strikes from my karate days long long ago.

how often do you train it pw?

Blog Entries
    yeah lol. im v determined with things like this and still rem afew strikes from my karate days long long ago.

how often do you train it pw?
    Like anything you get out of it what you put into it. If you recall any of my other posts I went way up in weight and didn't train for a few years, now that I've slimmed down I am back to training MT & Jits 2 days a week, I'll probably stay at 2 days as weight training and cardio are more important to me right now. How long did you do Karate? albeit a different style of martial art it still shares the similarity of striking. Martial arts like Jits & Judo which is more about locks and throws, so you should pick it up fairly easily. One thing I could recommend before you even start and its something you can do at home is start stretching and working on flexibility, especially since you are a muscular guy.

Blog Entries
    Like anything you get out of it what you put into it. If you recall any of my other posts I went way up in weight and didn't train for a few years, now that I've slimmed down I am back to training MT & Jits 2 days a week, I'll probably stay at 2 days as weight training and cardio are more important to me right now. How long did you do Karate? albeit a different style of martial art it still shares the similarity of striking. Martial arts like Jits & Judo which is more about locks and throws, so you should pick it up fairly easily. One thing I could recommend before you even start and its something you can do at home is start stretching and working on flexibility, especially since you are a muscular guy.
    ah, its years since i did karate, i still can pull off snap kicks, roundhouses and leg sweeps etc. yeah, ive started on the flexibility as it would be an issue i'd imagine. im going to drop off around 14lbs within the next 6-8wks and hoping the MT training will help with that. cheers

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    Dec any gyms you train at got vibration machines. They do wonders for my flexibility. I bought one when i fought.

wtf is that ^?

http://www.powerplate.com/ that is a link to one of the more popular brands

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    Dec any gyms you train at got vibration machines. They do wonders for my flexibility. I bought one when i fought.
    na, always thought of those as a sales con tbh. you get results from it?

That appears to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Ari...eature=related

na, always thought of those as a sales con tbh. you get results from it?
    its not going to make anyone a body builder. I can put someone through a workout on one and have them whipped in about 10 mins. But they are really good for flexibility.

That appears to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Ari...eature=related
    I know alot of pro's athlete's that use them. I sold about 90k worth to the Dallas Cowboys training facility

I had one. They do work

Lets keep this thread going I'm starting Muay Thai tuesday. Went to my first MT event and I'm hooked. Watched Craig Buchanan defend his title last week. Really impressed with the skill set!!! Gonna make MT my cardio.

Muay Thai is (was until I got injured) my cardio. I'm dying to get back into it. I think about it more than I think about sex... Almost.

Blog Entries
    im thinkin of starting tues, my broken toe is about 90% ok i'd reckon, it was 4wks ago now. itchin to get started

tape it up. Which toe again?

Blog Entries
    tape it up. Which toe again?
    big toe, and i stepped into my bike boots today and got a jolting pain from it guess i should wait another week

Blog Entries
    big toe, and i stepped into my bike boots today and got a jolting pain from it guess i should wait another week
    Just wait...you're gonna make it worse, if you think you should wait a week, wait two. You've waited this long to start whats another couple weeks.

Just wait...you're gonna make it worse, if you think you should wait a week, wait two. You've waited this long to start whats another couple weeks.
    Agreed. You aren't paying the monthly yet either so wait.

So I had my first MT training session last nite and it was a blast. Big weakness was my footwork. My legs are strong from squats, and I have great leg endurance from 40-80 miles a week cycling. But my feet felt stuck to the floor like a super heavyweight boxer. Whats the best exercise to increase foot speed? Jumping rope?
    Last edited by DeniZen; 08-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Jump rope for sure. Practice makes perfect

Blog Entries
    starting 2nite!!

I'm starting back up tomorrow. I basically wrap my foot in a cast. Let us know how it goes

Blog Entries
    went brilliant, was doing kicking practice with a pro, my left side coordination is sh1t lol. two of the pro fighter got in the ring for sparring, i would not like to tangle with them, despite being probably 40-50lbs heavier!! kicks were going in like rotating helicopter blades!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information