Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Only one fighting style. The most effective.

Dr.L is offline New Member
    BJJ works in a street fight, there are hundreds of videos of BJJ being used in the street. The Gracie's became who they are because they proved it against guys who trained Kempo, Muay Thai, box, etc. You can look this up on Youtube. In the first UFC fights back in the 90s, you could head butt, punch in the testicles, etc and BJJ or grappling always won. Krav Maga sucks, they have never proved it in a real fight, and against a guy with a knife or a gun, good luck using those dumb techniques. All MMA fighters combine Boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai with BJJ and Wrestling. Aikido is for grandparents.
    Last edited by Dr.L; 07-19-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Or be the guy with the gun.

bonhamsurf is offline New Member
    There is no "1 Best Fighting Style." The best fighting style is a mixture from many different arts.

bonhamsurf is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapology View Post
    I really dont think there is a most dominate style it just depends on whos using the style and against who
    We have even seen a resurgence of some guys using karate effectively
    I have to agree. After being a fighter for almost 30 years, the truth is the absolute best fighters are skilled in various arts. I do have my favorites, but I don't believe there's a single "Best" style.
    MuscleScience likes this.

TRA
    TRA is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I trained traditional karate for years and years, fought point nationally (say all you want, it makes good fighters - Machida, etc). But I think muy Thai is the way to go. It’s really hard to hit a traditional artist but many aren’t trained in defending take downs and then you’re done unless you’re bjj. MT has take down defense as they utilize throws and seem to be one of the martial arts that realized early on the importance or remaining on one’s feet. I think some bro-tistics years ago said most fights go to ground in 10 seconds because our instinct is to grab onto someone. MT prevents that and is a well rounded art. I would abandon high kicks in real situations because it imparts more vulnerability. Leg kicks and striking from MT would jack someone up pretty quickly.
    MuscleScience likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunAZ View Post
    I trained traditional karate for years and years, fought point nationally (say all you want, it makes good fighters - Machida, etc). But I think muy Thai is the way to go. It’s really hard to hit a traditional artist but many aren’t trained in defending take downs and then you’re done unless you’re bjj. MT has take down defense as they utilize throws and seem to be one of the martial arts that realized early on the importance or remaining on one’s feet. I think some bro-tistics years ago said most fights go to ground in 10 seconds because our instinct is to grab onto someone. MT prevents that and is a well rounded art. I would abandon high kicks in real situations because it imparts more vulnerability. Leg kicks and striking from MT would jack someone up pretty quickly.
    MT is one of my favorite martial arts and I agree with you. Quick story, about 10 years ago I got into a parking lot fight with a dude that owned the local MMA joint. He was just randomly picking on people and picked me. Anyway it was a shit show of a fight since it was in a parking lot and we were both trained. i got one really good right hand in and he stuffed a takedown pretty good when I shot in. He did get about 10 really good leg kicks to my front leg in on me. I was afraid to check them because I thought he would faint one and shoot in for a takedown and I wasn’t a good wrestler.

During the fight and for several hours later I didn’t feel the kicks. But I will be damned if They hurt like a mother trucker the next day and for a week after. That was probsbly the least enjoyable week of my life. My leg hurts so bad that baring down to shit made it throb in pain.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Fiskevatten is offline Member
    Muay Thai is damn dangerous, and fun! Been in Thailand for a long time and those guys are f*king mental! Started out living there and thought "damn these buddhists are lovely", f**k that! Damn demons!
    They have fighting in their blood and I can truly understand why Muay Thai is their national sport and why they are good at it.
    Buakaw is at the center here.

My opinion is that you need a degree of boxing in you, any kind, but you need that ground pillar. Your arms will ward off, defend and attack in most cases, all else second and third.
    Then you need a NACK of fighting. You can see a years of experienced fighter go toe-to-toe with a random dude beaten by his dad and the random dude will very likely be damn dangerous.
    Even I sparred with a big guy who had been in several fights when I was younger and I went boxing for 6 months, he couldn't hit me since I deflected his punches with open palms.
    Someone said that you need to know how and where to throw a punch and that is very true, combine that with great reflexes, stamina and power, and you can take out most brutes with just that.

Most guys can't fight and finding the "best" fighting style is pointless.
    I bet you mean "best irl" and that would be impossible to tell as well - you can end up in a gun fight, knife, someone holds your girl, 5 vs 1, anything, you will NEVER be prepared enough.
    Unless you are Chuck Norris.

I would say boxing or muay thai and then take it from there depending on goals.
    Check the guy Yi Long out, he has a cool combination and is f*cking deadly!

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I am an expert in bukakke and windo li-king.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have only ever started 2 fights most of my experience has been to be the equalizer. I will only fight honorable battles. I’ve helped others in almost every conflict I’ve ever been in. There is no good reason to hurt people other than defence of yourself OR defence of someone else. Beyond that fuck it. (Defence of yourself and your family is an acceptable reason to be the aggressor if you truly feel they
    Are coming after your family and or friends*

*friends are only covered by this clause by me if I know they had no role in escalating.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    I have only ever started 2 fights most of my experience has been to be the equalizer. I will only fight honorable battles. I’ve helped others in almost every conflict I’ve ever been in. There is no good reason to hurt people other than defence of yourself OR defence of someone else. Beyond that fuck it. (Defence of yourself and your family is an acceptable reason to be the aggressor if you truly feel they
    Are coming after your family and or friends*

*friends are only covered by this clause by me if I know they had no role in escalating.
    What if someone's blatantly hitting on your girl in front of you even after she told him to fuck off? Do you KO him?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Protect what’s yours but remember there is ways to do it without violence. (I’m not a hippie) I’ve never had to fight because of a girl I’m with though But it’s been close. Always temember people don’t respect life too many people ready to pull a trigger.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Protect what’s yours but remember there is ways to do it without violence. (I’m not a hippie) I’ve never had to fight because of a girl I’m with though But it’s been close. Always temember people don’t respect life too many people ready to pull a trigger.
    I was just curious. There's no
    right answer imo.

As for the many year old thread that got bumped. I think there are only 4 legitimately effective fighting styles:
    Muay Thai
    Kick boxing
    Boxing
    BJJ
    I did kenpo and kung-fu for quite a while. Now I realize it is ineffective and a waste of time. It sounds cool to block someone's punch mid air by punching them in the bicep then punching them in the throat. In practice, not a thing.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
    I was just curious. There's no
    right answer imo.

As for the many year old thread that got bumped. I think there are only 4 legitimately effective fighting styles:
    Muay Thai
    Kick boxing
    Boxing
    BJJ
    I did kenpo and kung-fu for quite a while. Now I realize it is ineffective and a waste of time. It sounds cool to block someone's punch mid air by punching them in the bicep then punching them in the throat. In practice, not a thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again

Put any must Thai, kick boxer, or mma guy against Tyson , foreman or hollyfield in thier prime and it would not even a single full round.
    HoldMyBeer likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Poke them in the eye & go from there. Hit them in the Larynx (Adams apple), do what you will while they try to breath. It doesn't take much to take out a knee. Or, carry.
    Obs likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Poke them in the eye & go from there. Hit them in the Larynx (Adams apple), do what you will while they try to breath. It doesn't take much to take out a knee. Or, carry.
    Damn, forgot I posted this (alcohol).

I liked Muay Thai techniques, simple, had a fast learning curve & could be used very quickly. I tried the JKD thing, definitely used elbows & knees. And also dug the Wing Chun aspect because it was awesome at trapping (there have been NFL teams utilize JKD or wing Chun for trapping skills for their lineman).

My favorite seminar was taught by 2 black belts that worked as bouncers at biker bars. They taught you defense against strikes that they would see most often, objects used like a bat or pool cue & what they typically saw regarding knives. They brought in a dude that just did a lot of time to also teach us shanking defense (scariest person I ever encountered in my life).

Kind of learned the KISS approach (keep it simple, stupid). But it ultimately boils down to the person. You just have to want or like to fight & have no regard to being hit, hurt or injured. If those are dominating your thoughts, no martial art skills in the world can help you.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Judo
    Why do i need to fight when i can toss you halfway across the room like a silverback
    Proximal likes this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I personally like TAe Kwon Do.
    I have practiced karate, and a little jui jitsu.

Each has its own place. TKD you try to keep a distance between you and the opponents. It’s about 70% kicks and 30% punches.
    Karate is a little closer and about 50/50.
    Jui jitsu is one on one.

Having all of them in your arsenal is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information