Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member

The problem with the UFC

One of the big problems with the UFC as I see it is that these days, is there are way too many great fighters.

What I mean by this is that back in the day there used to be a bunch of good fighters who were usually great at one particular part of the sport, then there were a handfull of really great fighters who were very talented in most aspects of MMA and excellent in one or two disiplines.

These fighters because of their talent would be around year after year allowing fans to adopt heros who they could follow for a decade before they retired. These days there are so many very well rounded fighters who excel in a variety of disciplines that great fighters who stand out are getting few and far between.

On top of that the frequency of current fight schedules puts fighters at a much greater chance of either early retirement due to injury or loosing there spot due to fighting too frequently often while not fully recovered from the last match. All of these combine to assure that the number of fighters who have long careers at the top are much less than they used to be.

Just my 2 cents.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    I think the problem is UFC is putting on way too many PPV's. So all the fighters are trying to fit in on a card so they can get a cut.

Right now between strikeforce and UFC (they are owned by the same people). you have about 15 quality HW's. Any of them could fight any day and have a good chance of catching the other one. The problem that brings isn't in the sport, its in the problem most people don't like to see a fighter go 20-5 and call them amazing. MMA is a sport that has by defualt made it hard for people to catch onto because people want MMA fighters to be like boxers and be 50-1 or 40-2. Those type of records just aren't going to happen in a sport that there are a million ways to lose or fall.

Over the past three to four years so many ban wagon fans have entered to watching the sport and most still have little understanding past seeing a knockout.

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    I miss Tank Abbot...bare knuckle brawler at its finest...

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I miss the old days...UFC 1-15. Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, Don Fry, Mark Coleman, Randy Couture, Maurice Smith, and Belfort (when he FIRST stepped into the ring) Back then it was awesome. I don't even watch anymore. I wish they would bring back the old rules and pyramid the fights. That would be cool to see again.

Gym_ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    I miss the old days...UFC 1-15. Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Dan Severn, Don Fry, Mark Coleman, Randy Couture, Maurice Smith, and Belfort (when he FIRST stepped into the ring) Back then it was awesome. I don't even watch anymore. I wish they would bring back the old rules and pyramid the fights. That would be cool to see again.
    TANK ABBOTT !!!

... i think they should just bring in guys off the street like they used to ..lol.. good fights back then...
    Cuple of big fat fukkkers smashing each other... good value

Quote Originally Posted by Gym_ View Post
    TANK ABBOTT !!!

... i think they should just bring in guys off the street like they used to ..lol.. good fights back then...
    Cuple of big fat fukkkers smashing each other... good value

What do you think Brock Lesnar was?

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    One of the big problems with the UFC as I see it is that these days, is there are way too many great fighters.

What I mean by this is that back in the day there used to be a bunch of good fighters who were usually great at one particular part of the sport, then there were a handfull of really great fighters who were very talented in most aspects of MMA and excellent in one or two disiplines.

These fighters because of their talent would be around year after year allowing fans to adopt heros who they could follow for a decade before they retired. These days there are so many very well rounded fighters who excel in a variety of disciplines that great fighters who stand out are getting few and far between.

On top of that the frequency of current fight schedules puts fighters at a much greater chance of either early retirement due to injury or loosing there spot due to fighting too frequently often while not fully recovered from the last match. All of these combine to assure that the number of fighters who have long careers at the top are much less than they used to be.

Just my 2 cents.
    sounds like how i wanted boxing to be...i thought they never fought enough

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    UFC copied pro wrestling, hey if WWE can do it, then why cannot an exciting legit sport like MMA do it. The only problem i see with UFC its that its the only big fish in the pond and when Dana White doesn't like your face too bad, and good luck living off an MMA career in smaller organization.

Tournament format was amazing but even now when they do a GP they split the PPV in 3 parts more money. Its always been about money, this is why UFC got like2 ppv per month or so, are on spike, fox and other channel.

Dana White is taking the UFC to places it never been, like McMahon did with WWE, he is following the same exact path and its successful up to date. Except that MMA is way more exciting then fake pro wrestling that has been dead for more then 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    Well i tough Lesnar got very far and was a lot better then i tough, he could submit, take down and had a descent stand up. He beat Mir, he beat Carwin when Carwin was killing everyone, many count out Heath Herring but he has been in many tough fights, and Lesnar beat him too with 2 fights on is record.

All in all Lesnar should be pleased with what he accomplish in MMA

i'm not sure on the wording, but i think most states won't won't allow multi fights in one night at the professional level. the gaming commissions already put limits on time between fights. I know you have to have at least 14 days between fight nights, I do not know if that is between fights or a night of fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    Well i tough Lesnar got very far and was a lot better then i tough, he could submit, take down and had a descent stand up. He beat Mir, he beat Carwin when Carwin was killing everyone, many count out Heath Herring but he has been in many tough fights, and Lesnar beat him too with 2 fights on is record.

All in all Lesnar should be pleased with what he accomplish in MMA
    I didn't mean to imply Lesnar shouldn't be happy with what he did. but he was an amazing athlete brought into MMA, not a trained MMA fighter, at least not to the level of the rest of the pro's. but though not to start a debate, Carwin lost the fight more than Lesnar won it.Carwin was maybe 15seconds away from winning when he lost all cardio. actually the Carwin fight was the beginning of the end for lesnar, after that everybody realized all you have to do is stop his take down and punch him, he hated being hit.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    agreed with the issue of too many top level fighters. When you have some divisions where 3-5 guys all deserve title shots and the belt holder only fighting 2 or 3 times a year, theres a long layoff waiting for a title shot or risk of injury taking on lower level fighters waiting for your shot. But hey, they are getting paid to do what they do so its how the their world works

As far as Lesnar goes, glad he's gone, but it did bring a level of surprise and interest back into the heavyweight division. Might not be the best record he retires with, but his fights were interesting to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Knockout_Power View Post
    agreed with the issue of too many top level fighters. When you have some divisions where 3-5 guys all deserve title shots and the belt holder only fighting 2 or 3 times a year, theres a long layoff waiting for a title shot or risk of injury taking on lower level fighters waiting for your shot. But hey, they are getting paid to do what they do so its how the their world works

As far as Lesnar goes, glad he's gone, but it did bring a level of surprise and interest back into the heavyweight division. Might not be the best record he retires with, but his fights were interesting to watch
    Agreed but the level of fighters is getting better all the time, i am glad that Dana will force a guy to retire when he knows he is done, fighter security.

musclelover is offline Junior Member
    Come on you gotta give some credit to brock!

Most of the guys at the top and be doing martial arts there entire life.... To me it showed he was a great athlete overall and when he came up against someone with every skill under the sun just took him apart..

Dana White is under alot of pressure with the boom of the UFC world wide so theres the demand for fight after fight.

I do agree its to frequent for alot of fighters and not the safest but they have to fight the demand is there.

lol the UFC is killing boxing lol

Far from massive is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Brock Leskill singlehandedly turned the UFC from a MMA platform to a WWE circus. How anyone could be a fan of him grabbing a microphone and acting like a total asshole or charging across the ring and slobbing his opponents into submission is beyond me.

Every aspect of his game showed a big spoiled simple minded slob who needed to be removed from the limelight bigtime. His charge and smother fighting style aside, not since Tito had anyone done so much with their behaviour to degrade the image of MMA fighters and MMA in general. I think even Dana saw quickly that this was not a good thing for the sport, people understand that in Pro Wrastlin you have good guys and bad guys and they are actors on a stage. Conversely MMA is made up of people with various personalities most of which are very outstanding and almost always showing of good sportsmanship having Brock on the front page tarnished this image big time.

Just my 2 cents.

FFM

Quote Originally Posted by Far from massive View Post
    Brock Leskill singlehandedly turned the UFC from a MMA platform to a WWE circus. How anyone could be a fan of him grabbing a microphone and acting like a total asshole or charging across the ring and slobbing his opponents into submission is beyond me.

Every aspect of his game showed a big spoiled simple minded slob who needed to be removed from the limelight bigtime. His charge and smother fighting style aside, not since Tito had anyone done so much with their behaviour to degrade the image of MMA fighters and MMA in general. I think even Dana saw quickly that this was not a good thing for the sport, people understand that in Pro Wrastlin you have good guys and bad guys and they are actors on a stage. Conversely MMA is made up of people with various personalities most of which are very outstanding and almost always showing of good sportsmanship having Brock on the front page tarnished this image big time.

Just my 2 cents.

FFM
    Brock Lesnar is an asshole but then again look at Anderson Silva the way he acted in the Damian Maia fight.

Brock also was an NCAA wrestler so is back round was very impressive before he started in MMA combined with is strenght and more, he had skills.

Still not a way to act, i am not ready to say that UFC turned into WWE, to my views there is nothing worst then pro wrestling, i actually stop watching WWE for more then 5 years and started working with a work buddy that is an addict or that crap.

He gave me a recent PPV so i could brush in and what was happening now, there is no worst performer then Randy Orton, this guy should be making movies, very dramatic.

At this level fighters cannot fight more then 3 times per year but some of them seem to be fighting every ppv or chance they get.

Quote Originally Posted by quarry206 View Post
    A big ffn pvssy!!

But seriously.... I knew Brock was gonna quit. If you paid attention I cant remember exactly when it was. About 6months or more ago. Wasn't it the Undertaker in the audience at one of his fights? And most recently The new WWE wrestling video Game...Brock lesnar is featured in it!!! I won bets with friends that he was going back to WWE. He wants his old glory back..
    Think about it...Brock walks through life being able to pound the sh!t out of 90% of the population...I am sure he is tired of getting his ass handed to him by the elite 10%..He would much rather go back to his professional wrestling world where he can juice at his hearts content and he is a king!!! without getting beat up (for real) in front of millions of people.
    It will be interesting to see how this gets played into the scripts over at WWE....I bet he gets clowned and starts trying to bring submission moves into the WWE...ehehehhehh...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    But seriously.... I knew Brock was gonna quit. If you paid attention I cant remember exactly when it was. About 6months or more ago. Wasn't it the Undertaker in the audience at one of his fights? And most recently The new WWE wrestling video Game...Brock lesnar is featured in it!!! I won bets with friends that he was going back to WWE. He wants his old glory back..
    Think about it...Brock walks through life being able to pound the sh!t out of 90% of the population...I am sure he is tired of getting his ass handed to him by the elite 10%..He would much rather go back to his professional wrestling world where he can juice at his hearts content and he is a king!!! without getting beat up (for real) in front of millions of people.
    It will be interesting to see how this gets played into the scripts over at WWE....I bet he gets clowned and starts trying to bring submission moves into the WWE...ehehehhehh...
    Spur of the moment thing, of course Brock is one screwed up guy, he tried many things to avoid the 9 to 5 life style, he quit WWE once due to the schedule being too much for him, failed the tryout of the Minnesota vikings the decided to try MMA.

If he ever returns to WWE do you think Vince is gonna push him that much, of course he got a serious MMA backround being the heavyweight champion and all that could really get him going but will he be able to ajust to the WWE schedule this time around. I am sure WWE won't make any special favors for him. Worst comes to worst he could end up in TNA or go to Japan which would surprise me a lot since he is married with sable and has 2 small children at home....... MMMMMM

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Dana had a goldmine in Brock Lesnar. Tito, Silva, Dos Santos, etc. could only draw in current MMA fans. Which is fine and dandy, but they're not going to give UFC the casual fan. Brock Lesnar brought those fans in. And after this last fight, he's used up just about all of his drawing power. So, it's good that Dana is done with him.

Dana modeled his UFC promotion after the WWE. It's obvious. One thing Dana recognizes is the causal fan doesn't give a shit about watching for the sake of the MMA sport. Pro-wrestling understands this too, hence why they work angles to draw interest in the build up to the fight. Letting people like Tito or Lesnar run their mouth, turns the promotion in to a sideshow rather than as a respectable sport, but Dana doesn't really care if it's deemed respectable. He cares about PPV buys and tv ratings.

As far as Brock Lesnar going back to pro wrestling, from what I heard if he did, it'd be a one time deal. Brock burned a lot of bridges in there. He's not somebody a big promotion can depend on to be there tomorrow. And really what kind of draw could he actually be? Pro-wrestling might be a worked show rather than an competitive sport, but he was made to look like a ***** twice in real fights. Who is going to pay money to see a has-been return to wrestling? The people he brings in, still wont justify his paycheque. Hopefully, Brock was smart with his money and saved it so he doesn't need to keep working.

Gym_ is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    A big ffn pvssy!!
    Yeah agree.. couple of hits and he crys like a bitch... Ive seen girls punch on longer then his his last two matchs..

Quote Originally Posted by Gym_ View Post
    Yeah agree.. couple of hits and he crys like a bitch... Ive seen girls punch on longer then his his last two matchs..
    When I saw that fight, I could've sworn he took a dive. He didn't get kicked THAT hard. I think he wanted one more payday and then he was out.

Gsxr84 is offline Junior Member
    I agree, but wouldn't his surgerys impact him, maybe mentally , etc? he could of thought he was weaken or god only knows. The first few fights lesnar was a force i thought, a grizzly bear that would be hard to kill. I agree to the OP Ufc these days is in a sense gone down hill, i feel its starting to feel fake almost like WWE. They should start PPVs like 1 per 2 months or 3 months with good cards rather then everytime you turn around theres a new ppv on.

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong

When I saw that fight, I could've sworn he took a dive. He didn't get kicked THAT hard. I think he wanted one more payday and then he was out.
    U my friend are obviously not a fighter and have never received a body shot. It amuses me how there are so many fans that think they know so much and have never stepped in a cage or ring.

Quote Originally Posted by txnhb View Post
    U my friend are obviously not a fighter and have never received a body shot. It amuses me how there are so many fans that think they know so much and have never stepped in a cage or ring.
    That was a weak body shot. Brock took the dive and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxr84 View Post
    I agree, but wouldn't his surgerys impact him, maybe mentally , etc? he could of thought he was weaken or god only knows. The first few fights lesnar was a force i thought, a grizzly bear that would be hard to kill. I agree to the OP Ufc these days is in a sense gone down hill, i feel its starting to feel fake almost like WWE. They should start PPVs like 1 per 2 months or 3 months with good cards rather then everytime you turn around theres a new ppv on.
    They run way too many PPVs, but the philosophy behind that is they'll make less money per PPV but overall make more revenue. They're taking this straight out of the WWE playbook. Except people aren't buying PPVs like they used to anymore. It's way too easy to watch a free online stream, their stars become overexposed to the fans, and the lack of creating stand alone stars has really been causing PPV sports in general to take a massive hit. In fact from what I've heard the WWE once their new TV network is up is going to cut down to 4 PPVs a year and move the rest of them to their TV network.

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong

That was a weak body shot. Brock took the dive and you know it.
    Are u kidding me? Knee after knee? Then ended it with a rear leg kick to the body? Overeem weighs 263lbs and you think a kick by him to the body is going to be weak? He has great technique and you still think it was a weak kick?

musclelover is offline Junior Member
    FFM they is too much wrong with the statement you made.

Dana loved having brock it got the huge audience of wrestling fans beginnning to follow the UFC he helped it grow they are now of FOX! Then you talk about grabbing the mic and acting wow the guys humble always thanks his opponent and is gracious in defeat.

FFM its easy to hide behind a keyboard an bag someone but seriously that man is a gifted athlete and an american and you are hating on him. WOW what happened to a bit of pride in your country have the heavyweight champ.

Well now the heavyweight title is heading to holland soon and are probably staying there for a while.

Thread Information