testchef is offline Associate Member

punch bag workout

hi
    ive had a punch bag now for a few months i cant seem to get a decent workout off it .
    can anyone give me or help with a structured routine ?
    im not a fighter just using it for cardio and fat burning

many thanks

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A heavy bag or speed bag?

Catdad is offline Junior Member
    Like red said heavy bag or speed bag?

As a fighter I can say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I see a lot of people come into my Muay Thai gym who have their own heavy bag and think they can fight and have good technique from watching videos and hurt themselves.

I'd say get a speed bag because thats atleast just hand eye coordination. If you're keen on boxing go learn some first PLEASE! Then you will have an idea of drills and hopefully a good base.

Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    A heavy bag or speed bag?
    heavy bag. ive done a bit of basic training i know how to throw a jab, hook etc
    was just after some basic drills to get blood pumping and couple of cardio sessions boxed off

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by testchef View Post
    heavy bag. ive done a bit of basic training i know how to throw a jab, hook etc
    was just after some basic drills to get blood pumping and couple of cardio sessions boxed off
    Hell, if you have a heavy bag you can should be able to get some serious workouts with that. Do this... get a timer from like ringside or everlast. It's a little round timer that you can set up to 12 rounds with either a 30 sec or 60 sec rest interval in between 2-3 minute rounds. Now start off a with setting your rounds and work that bag hard concentrating on your feet work as well. You will get your ass kicked after a few rounds. Build yourself up to 12.

Another technique is to do like a 9 round rotation. First round hit the bag, rest 30 sec (if you think your bad), and then jump rope, and repeat between the two. That will kick you butt easy easy. I sometimes do a 9 round rotation between, heavy, rope, and speed bag. 27 minutes of HIT cardio is what it pretty much comes down to.

Good luck.

Hey thanks will have a dig

DanB is offline Banned
    Rockinred is fairly spot on,

Only things I will add is that you should focus more on speed then power, of course put some weight behind it, but if your doing it for a workout then its all about the heartrate so you need to be hitting the combos, 1,2,3,4 step back, breathe then back in and repeat, as quick as possible

Mabey go to a kick-boxercise class if there is one in the area just to give you an idea of a routine

Oh yeah I dont know if you incoporating any kicks but if you arent then you should start, they far more taxing on the body and use alot more muscle groups depending on what your throwing, have a look on youtube for instructional videos,

Have fun, try the spectacular, like spinning heel, roundhouse etc you may land on your arse a few times if you havnt any prior experience but who cares, nobody will see you and I gurantee you these will have your heart beating so hard it will feel like its in the back of your thoat

Catdad is offline Junior Member
    Work on foot work, technique, speed and then power. Make it sport specific, do 3 minute rounds and see how many you can do. 3, 6, 9, 12
    You'll start to go faster and longer but make sure you truely exert lots of energy.
    Work on different combinations. Honestly though I suggest going to a real boxing gym if that's what you want to do. It killed me to see people who "know how to box" "fight" etc

Its Me is offline Junior Member
    Last edited by Its Me; 11-03-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    didnt read the other posts, but incorporate kicks when its hung up and for a different workout, lay it on the ground, get into a "top mount" and throw elbows till your back and shoulders get sore

MHouse is offline Junior Member
    The 2 minute rounds with 30 sec intervals is a great way to start. All you need is a watch with a timer on it, set it and go. You don't realize how long 2 minutes is until you try this.

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Bas Rutten CDs, get them they are amazing 7 rounds 3 minutes, 10 rounds 2 minutes, boxing, muey thai, MMA full body workout and instructional.

Got them from sherdog

IRISH 425 is offline Junior Member
    I agree on the bas rutten workout

Thread Information