Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Who Studies What??

red_hulk is offline Member

Who Studies What??

I study American combat karate, which is basically stand up street fighting. It will teach you the easiest, fastest, and most brutal way to put someone down with authority. We train no pads full contact, on occasion we practice practical weapon defense. A bat, pipe, knife, etc. and we also practice multiple opponents.

We do study some grappling and bjj but we try our best not to go to the ground in a real fight situation. It's more for a good workout and to know what to do if someone uses it against us or all else fails.

I've also studied tae kwon do and boxing. I've been interested in starting wing chun training but you need to be really dedicated or they'll kick you out haha so I'm waiting till I'll have time.

Anyway, I love martial arts and respect the different arts and know they're all great when they're used properly. The usual person will always tell you what they study is the best..that person is also usually a dick haha.

So what do you guys study?

Brick is offline Member
    Done boxing and kickboxing and a bit of Gung Fu (very limited). Looking at getting back into kick boxing because I have the time as well as No Ji Juitsu (sp?) and maybe BJJ

Pretty cool man all of those are good and great for cardio. Yeah finding the time to actually go down to a place a couple of times a week is always a challenge for me

lestat85 is offline Associate Member
    I study Sikaran and Arnis. I did some Jiujitsu, but my teacher left the province for a while and hasn't gotten anything set up to start teaching again. I've also done a little (very little) boxing, but am hoping to get back into it for the cardio.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    wrestled all my life. I have gone to a boxing and mauy thia specific gyms. Now i train at an mma place.
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I study ballistics, windage and elevation, velocity, breathing and trigger control.

Some pretty cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1
    I study ballistics, windage and elevation, velocity, breathing and trigger control.
    Are you a sniper? A friend of mine just finished scout sniper school in the marines.

snowman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    Same field :-) ( at least i think its the same field..army) but not on the job anymore... now teaching martial arts and Jiujitsu ---

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Martial training is a young man's effort.....
    ....now mostly I just study chic's asses!

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    I'm with TR. My favorite past time is chasing Asian girls now. Best cardio EVER!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    I'm with TR. My favorite past time is chasing Asian girls now. Best cardio EVER!!!!!
    You can always tell the old bulls from the young!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1 View Post
    You can always tell the old bulls from the young!
    quick hijack for an old joke.

two bulls on a hill overlooking a herd of cows.

the young bull looks up to the old bull and says...
    ....let's run down there as fast as we can and fvck us one of those cows!!

the older bull looks down on the younger bull and says...
    ....let's take our time and walk down there, and then fvck em all!!

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I, uh, study fashion and graphic design. I defend myself with sarcasm and a sharp wit.
    Quester likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    quick hijack for an old joke.

two bulls on a hill overlooking a herd of cows.

the young bull looks up to the old bull and says...
    ....let's run down there as fast as we can and fvck us one of those cows!!

the older bull looks down on the younger bull and says...
    ....let's take our time and walk down there, and then fvck em all!!
    That was the exact joke I was referencing TR. It's soooo true

Quote Originally Posted by red_hulk View Post
    Some pretty cool stuff!

Are you a sniper? A friend of mine just finished scout sniper school in the marines.
    No but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

When I was in the Marine Corps I never had the ambition to try out for STA platoon I do spend plenty of time behind the cross hairs now though.

Bump for more input. It's very interesting learning what everyone studies

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Bjj gi/no gi, boxing, mauy Thai.

TOkidd is offline Productive Member
    Japanese Jiu-Jitsu. Much more dynamic than BJJ IMO. Ground fighting is only a small part of JJJ. JJJ and the hand-to-hand fighting of Ninjitsu are very similar. Throws, arm locks, wrist locks, pressure points, strikes, wespons training and defense, wrist throws, parries, defending against multiple attackers, and so many other elements make up the core of this martial art. The CIA and special forces around the world use it as the basis for their hand-to-hand combat training for a reason. It was originally developed in feudal Japan as a battlefield combat technique that would allow lightly armored combatants to take down a heavily armored samurai. Because kicks, punches and other blows are unlikely to phase a samurai, the tactics I listed above are employed - and VERY effectively. It doesn't take a black belt to be dangerous. One year of committed JJJ training will allow a person to take down just about anyone without a martial arts background.
    MUSCLENUTANT likes this.

Nice man I was always interested in JJJ. The hard thing is finding a school worth attending

TOkidd is offline Productive Member
    Nice man I was always interested in JJJ. The hard thing is finding a school worth attending
    Tell me about it! Right now I'm temporarily marooned in the suburbs of my city, but they have an amazing JJJ club here. But I'm moving back to the city soon, and haven't been able to find a single JJJ dojo there. Tons of BJJ clubs, Krav Maga, MMA, but no JJJ. I just happened to be lucky enough to move to a suburb that had an established club that actually traces its lineage back to the first Canadian BB in JJJ. He trained the club's founder, who then trained many of the current instructors. So I don't know what I'm going to do when I move back to the city.

I've only been studying JJJ for six months, but I've already learned SO much I feel confident I could defend myself against just about anyone who does not have an MA background. The moves are so fluid and intuitive - sometimes explosive. The warmups are tough, but the practical portion of the class is something I look forward to more than just about anything else in my life. If you have the opportunity to study at a good dojo, go for it. JJJ is the SH1T!

Yeah I know the feeling man..I found the best school around IMO and stuck with it for a few years. I'm looking for a good king fu place, something that can be used practically but being that a lot of it is traditional it won't work in the street

Any art is useful in real life situations, if you understand how to apply it to the situation. I think martial arts is suffering, not because the traditional arts don't work, but because no one has the patience to study and master an art anymore. Everyone wants to learn everything in a short time and its just not possible to master an art in a couple months. I'm lucky enough to study directly under the grandmaster and founder of the style. I've beaten people from other arts and lost. There isn't any one art that is superior to others.
    MUSCLENUTANT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lestat85
    Any art is useful in real life situations, if you understand how to apply it to the situation. I think martial arts is suffering, not because the traditional arts don't work, but because no one has the patience to study and master an art anymore. Everyone wants to learn everything in a short time and its just not possible to master an art in a couple months. I'm lucky enough to study directly under the grandmaster and founder of the style. I've beaten people from other arts and lost. There isn't any one art that is superior to others.
    Very true! For anyone to assume so is ridiculous imo

gonebluffn is offline Associate Member
    I study running my last fight cost me around 250k .From now on they can beat on me until theyre tired so I guess i study non defense.

Quote Originally Posted by gonebluffn
    I study running my last fight cost me around 250k .From now on they can beat on me until theyre tired so I guess i study non defense.
    I never look for fights and do anything I can to avoid them, but if I have to, I will defend myself. The point of studying self defense is not to win fights. It's to be able to protect yourself, if there is no other option. I can gladly say that I have never had to use my training outside of class and tournaments.
    MUSCLENUTANT likes this.

My training has saved my life on a couple of occasions. I've never used it in bullshit fights though

gonebluffn is offline Associate Member
    Brother when you are as old as me your not looking for one but somehow theres always a drunk or tough guy that wants to try the big guy and I always do everything in my power to avoid it I have nothing to prove anymore .someone would have to be trying to harm my family for me to do anything or have a lethal weapon,I boxed for 13 years so they can beat on me theyre not going to hurt me.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    My training has saved my life on a couple of occasions. I've never used it in bullshit fights though
    i can say i have when i was younger i have been in alot of bullshit fights. Mostly because of women. But i can say it saved me a few times i should have gotten hurt bad.

I havent trained in almost 4 months since i got injured. But i train at American Top Team
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Texkota is offline New Member
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu here

DB1982 is offline Member
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and a little boxing here and there.
    I grew up with 2 brothers and had Couple trampolines
    So we studied a lot of WWF.. HAHA

Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    boxing/muay thai/bjj

autobiostimulation is offline New Member
    I done boxing when i was in school and college. I am state champion of boxing in my time.

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I boxed for many years when I was younger.I took Tang Soo Do for a while when I was in the Marines.But had to quit do to no time.

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    I've boxed and also dabbled at mix martial arts and ju-jitsu. I love anything combat. Im a boxing fanatic!!!

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    PaSaRyu TaeKwonDo...started at age 11. Ended formal training at age 17 when instructor moved away and school closed. At that time I was a BB and certified instructor. Lived in very small town with no other options to continue training at that time. Headquarters for our style was like 100 miles away. No way mom and pop were letting me drive that distance on my own as long as I was still putting my feet under their table, so I started weight training.

PaSaRyu was one of the main styles that Elvis studied and our master taught him, personally.

http://www.kangrhee.com/
    Last edited by OdinsOtherSon; 10-27-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added more info

OdinsOtherSon is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Last edited by OdinsOtherSon; 09-16-2015 at 05:56 PM.

tankerlife4ever is offline New Member
    Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do when I was younger. Want to get into krav maga next

leethedane is offline New Member
    aikido..bjj..muay thai...and greko wrestlinf
    MUSCLENUTANT likes this.

MUSCLENUTANT is offline Banned
    So many new students want to know how long it will take to earn a black belt. I was fortunate to be trained by someone who took Martial Arts very seriously. At our school, we only did belt testing twice a year, and you had to be reviewed and approved as ready to even attempt advancing a belt. I was also lucky enough to be trained by someone who would show how to incorporate other styles into your technique. I took Aikido most recently, and he would often mix Aikido technique with jiu jitsu.

MUSCLENUTANT is offline Banned
    Kenpo Karate/ Aikido

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information