Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 150
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Opinions on best MMA fight promoter

  1. #1
    tigerspawn's Avatar
    tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,976

    Opinions on best MMA fight promoter

    I watched Bellator 94, 95, and 96 last week and was very impressed. Every fight on their card was worth watching. Lately UFC has been putting on mediocre fights and their events have not been worth watching. I enjoy a good ground game but I don’t consider repeatedly take someone down and holding them there fighting. I want to see the fighters attempting to improve their position, making multiple attempts at submissions, or ground and pound. Does anyone else think that the UFC has become boring?

  2. #2
    pawn master's Avatar
    pawn master is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Ontario
    Posts
    124
    Big Time. I never use to miss a card now I pick and choose which ones to watch. I always watch GSP fight because I am waiting to see him lose which I believe Hendricks will accomplish. Theirs really no competition in the heavy weight division. My fav guy to watch in that division is Big country just because he goes all out every time. And after Henderson lost to Rashad at the last UFC I was real disappointed. Also when he lost to Machida both those fighters ran away from him. Gone are the good old days of Liddell and Couture knockouts.

  3. #3
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Gsp benson Condit even edgar have all adopted game plans to each fight is what they call it. They statistically analyze what to do to get points but avoid any dangerous situations. Stick and move or knock them down and lay on top.

    I like all 3 fighters but I don't like there ideas of saying how good there are when you have had a 1 2 3 4 5 title fighte and zero knock outs all decisions.

    I just want to see jones vs Silva someday

  4. #4
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
    Gsp benson Condit even edgar have all adopted game plans to each fight is what they call it. They statistically analyze what to do to get points but avoid any dangerous situations. Stick and move or knock them down and lay on top.

    I like all 3 fighters but I don't like there ideas of saying how good there are when you have had a 1 2 3 4 5 title fighte and zero knock outs all decisions.

    I just want to see jones vs Silva someday
    I agree on GSP but Benson Condit and Edgar are beasts they have been in some wars.

    I think it has a lot to with level of talent.
    While Ballator is fun to watch its also amateurish.
    The UFC now has the best MMA talent of all promotions.
    Some when you reach that level of success you know need a strategy on top of talent to make it.
    MMA in general needs to do something about scoring . this take down point at the and of the round BS has got to go. They also should implement a sudden death round for fights that are to close to call.
    BG likes this.

  5. #5
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    I like KO like everybody else but let's be honest here .
    A KO is 80% luck honestly anyone can ko anyone with a lucky shot.
    I'm a submission guy. Now that's impressive no luck pure skill.
    To make another fighter Tap out that's breaking his spirit.

    Ko are just flashy that's why everybody likes them

  6. #6
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    I agree on GSP but Benson Condit and Edgar are beasts they have been in some wars.

    I think it has a lot to with level of talent.
    While Ballator is fun to watch its also amateurish.
    The UFC now has the best MMA talent of all promotions.
    Some when you reach that level of success you know need a strategy on top of talent to make it.
    MMA in general needs to do something about scoring . this take down point at the and of the round BS has got to go. They also should implement a sudden death round for fights that are to close to call.
    Condit only did this style vs diaz so I should of left him out but he was not his killer self he was fight for points.

    Benson has been but the last 4 fights he has been in and out. Pushing the fights speed tempo but just littke things here and there.
    Him and edgar fought they were just going for more strikes per round thats it. I had Internet in the coaches corner and they were telling him the strike score after each round. All this ad gsp is strategic winnig. Winnings nonetheless but causing boring predictable fights

  7. #7
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    I like KO like everybody else but let's be honest here .
    A KO is 80% luck honestly anyone can ko anyone with a lucky shot.
    I'm a submission guy. Now that's impressive no luck pure skill.
    To make another fighter Tap out that's breaking his spirit.

    Ko are just flashy that's why everybody likes them
    I am a submissions guy also and ko is cool but one or the other lets do something except jab move and lay on a guy.

    I think its up to the challenger to step up and push the fight. Dont fight the same show that your better and you deserve the title. Thats what I think will happen with gsp Hendricks. Gsp may still win but it will be a boring decision or Hendricks knock out. Hendricks destroyed condit

  8. #8
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post

    Condit only did this style vs diaz so I should of left him out but he was not his killer self he was fight for points.

    Benson has been but the last 4 fights he has been in and out. Pushing the fights speed tempo but just littke things here and there.
    Him and edgar fought they were just going for more strikes per round thats it. I had Internet in the coaches corner and they were telling him the strike score after each round. All this ad gsp is strategic winnig. Winnings nonetheless but causing boring predictable fights
    Conduits style against Diaz was to not fight Diaz's fight. The Diaz brothers both run their mouths to lure you into a brawl.
    Yes Diaz is a better BOXER so why would anyone fight that fight. So Condit used leg kicks to Diaz lead leg . to slow him. Then Condit would go up top. Throw a quick combo and get out.

    Diaz fans cry Condit was running. Really !! That's simply not the case. Condit is a smarter fighter he took Diaz out of his comfort zone plain n simple.

    You complain about fighters try to out point others fighters with strikes. But yet at the same time knock Condit for his style against Diaz. When in fact the Diaz brother do exactly what you talk about with their Stockton slap. How often do you see them ko anyone. They don't they go out run their mouths and slap box.

    The Condit Hendrix fight was 1 minute away from Conduit winning . Hendrix was totally gassed in the final round.
    While I like Hendrix I don't agree in the scoring in that fight.
    Hendrix won cause of take downs.
    But every time he took Condit down Condit got right back up. Plus Condit did more damage while on his back.

    I believe if you get a point for taking an opponent down then equally the opponent should be able to negate that point by getting back up reasonably fast.

  9. #9
    BG's Avatar
    BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    22,800
    Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    I believe if you get a point for taking an opponent down then equally the opponent should be able to negate that point by getting back up reasonably fast.
    This needs to happen soon.

    Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.


    Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

    I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

    It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

    Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

    Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html


  10. #10
    pawn master's Avatar
    pawn master is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Ontario
    Posts
    124
    There is a lot of talk Wiedman will beat Silva in his next fight. I do not think he will although I have been impressed with what he has done. What do you guys think?

    Also if he does Silva VS Jones has to be within the next 12 months. Silva is getting up there Jones is still a pup its now or never. GSP wins this fight I think he retires. I think he will get knocked out though. If he does he will want a rematch and of course Dana will give it to him.

  11. #11
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    I don't have a problem with GSP. I think he is a very smart fighter with great skills and athleticism. Sure it would be ideal if he would finish fights, but it is called mixed martial arts (MMA) for a reason. This isn't boxing, muay Thai, or Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Wrestling is probably the most important aspect of MMA. If a fighter can't stop his/her opponent's wrestling, then he/she should improve that facet of his/her repertoire.

    As far as Silva vs. Jones is concerned, I believe Jon Jones would definitely win. Jon Jones is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and is a more well-rounded fighter than Silva. There is a reason Silva wants to fight GSP and not Jones.

  12. #12
    pawn master's Avatar
    pawn master is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Ontario
    Posts
    124
    Silva is too big for GSP, won't happen.

  13. #13
    Skoal21's Avatar
    Skoal21 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31
    GSP is the best in my opinion

  14. #14
    Skoal21's Avatar
    Skoal21 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    31
    Still a fan of forest griffin too

  15. #15
    pawn master's Avatar
    pawn master is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Central Ontario
    Posts
    124
    forest retired months ago.

  16. #16
    lstbred's Avatar
    lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,054
    The "lay & pray" aspect is plain boring....and I do BJJ. Ever see two BB's going at it? usually it's boring. I want to see a good a fight, doesnt have to be all striking or a brawl but at least make it entertaining.

  17. #17
    krugerr's Avatar
    krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK (Nr London)
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by lstbred
    The "lay & pray" aspect is plain boring....and I do BJJ. Ever see two BB's going at it? usually it's boring. I want to see a good a fight, doesnt have to be all striking or a brawl but at least make it entertaining.
    Agree here. As much as my own skill is limited to mainly grappling/Vale Tudo and submissions, I find these technical fights interesting and entertaining, but when it's the slow time wasting seeking of bloody kamuras and arm bars, I get bored.
    I love a good match up with strikers too, gotta love them big blows and kicks!

  18. #18
    lstbred's Avatar
    lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,054
    Exactly!! I'm a Judo guy too so when I see Ronda get a nice throw into an armbar it's cool, it's quick but hasnt been boring yet.

  19. #19
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    Conduits style against Diaz was to not fight Diaz's fight. The Diaz brothers both run their mouths to lure you into a brawl.
    Yes Diaz is a better BOXER so why would anyone fight that fight. So Condit used leg kicks to Diaz lead leg . to slow him. Then Condit would go up top. Throw a quick combo and get out.

    Diaz fans cry Condit was running. Really !! That's simply not the case. Condit is a smarter fighter he took Diaz out of his comfort zone plain n simple.

    You complain about fighters try to out point others fighters with strikes. But yet at the same time knock Condit for his style against Diaz. When in fact the Diaz brother do exactly what you talk about with their Stockton slap. How often do you see them ko anyone. They don't they go out run their mouths and slap box.

    The Condit Hendrix fight was 1 minute away from Conduit winning . Hendrix was totally gassed in the final round.
    While I like Hendrix I don't agree in the scoring in that fight.
    Hendrix won cause of take downs.
    But every time he took Condit down Condit got right back up. Plus Condit did more damage while on his back.

    I believe if you get a point for taking an opponent down then equally the opponent should be able to negate that point by getting back up reasonably fast.
    Starter's I hate the diaz brother's. They are over rated and show zero respect. I was saying condit did not go with his normal natural born killer style. He even admitted that it was hard to stick and move like his coach said to do. Part of his game plan to win the fight. I am not bagging on him I am just stating what was said and done.

    Hendrix s was tired but he totally injured his hand also. Even though he said he was fine. Only reason condit didnt get knocked out is cause his incredible chin. He is a warrior. If gsp gets caught with half of one of those he is down.not saying gsp will lose cause he always brings a perfect gm plan. I just know he is worried.

    Silva would knock gsp out. No doubt in my mind.his height and reach alone.

    Jones and silva I really want to see. I would not count silva out at all.

  20. #20
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post

    Starter's I hate the diaz brother's. They are over rated and show zero respect. I was saying condit did not go with his normal natural born killer style. He even admitted that it was hard to stick and move like his coach said to do. Part of his game plan to win the fight. I am not bagging on him I am just stating what was said and done.

    Hendrix s was tired but he totally injured his hand also. Even though he said he was fine. Only reason condit didnt get knocked out is cause his incredible chin. He is a warrior. If gsp gets caught with half of one of those he is down.not saying gsp will lose cause he always brings a perfect gm plan. I just know he is worried.

    Silva would knock gsp out. No doubt in my mind.his height and reach alone.

    Jones and silva I really want to see. I would not count silva out at all.
    Yeah Silva would destroy GSP. And Silva vs Jones would be awesome if still put my money on Silva. Silva is just too hard to hit and I could see him hitting Jones at will.

    I agree Hendrix is a huge threat to GSP.
    I'm also waiting for the Rory McDonald / Condit rematch that'll be a war.

  21. #21
    Zodiac82's Avatar
    Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    to OPs question....I definitely think Bellator puts on better overall fights....same thing when Strikeforce was around...better fight cards....I personally would rather have the Ufc...mainly because of the production/hype value behind it...Lately the ppv ufc cards have been mediocre at best...while there free fight cards have all been well worth the PPV price....weird huh...

    -Beast Mode-

  22. #22
    Zodiac82's Avatar
    Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    now as for the Silva v Weidman fight talk....Silva's "ground game" will be even more exposed than when he rough Sonnen the first time....I was saying about 8 months ago.that this is the guy thats gonna beat him...thats why Silva's. been duckin him....this should be a great card....long over due for the Ufc(ppv wise)...I will be at the bar for this one

    -Beast Mode-

  23. #23
    BG's Avatar
    BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    22,800
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    .while there free fight cards have all been well worth the PPV price....weird huh...

    -Beast Mode-
    I swear they do that to make up for the bad ppv's.......

    Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.


    Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

    I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

    It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

    Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

    Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html


  24. #24
    Zodiac82's Avatar
    Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    I swear they do that to make up for the bad ppv's.......
    lol they need to keep that up....it's almost a given that the free cards will be worth the watch

    -Beast Mode-

  25. #25
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    I never understood how people claim GSP just "lays" on his opponents. While there have been a few fights where it seemed that way, most of the time he inflicts damage. Just look at Fitch's face after their fight. These same haters never say anything about the snore-fests that Silva has had. Remember Cote and Maia?

    Silva-Jones is a definite mismatch. The same reasons Silva would beat GSP hold true for why Jones would beat Anderson: size and strength advantages. In addition to those advantages, I believe Jones is the better all-around fighter. He is a new generation of fighter (I know how often that cliché gets thrown around). As much as I love MMA, the level of the athletes that compete in it compared to the athletes in the NFL and the NBA are lightyears away. Jones, on the other hand, comes from a family of elite athletes. In addition to the fact that he has trained MMA for several years now, he also has excellent wrestling which is Silva's biggest weak point.

    Besides the fact that Silva is afraid to fight Jones and instead calls out the smaller fighter in GSP, Silva himself has stated that he doesn't think he could beat Jones (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/1/448...prediction-ufc). That was not because of modesty either.
    Last edited by basketballfan22; 07-04-2013 at 06:41 PM.

  26. #26
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    now as for the Silva v Weidman fight talk....Silva's "ground game" will be even more exposed than when he rough Sonnen the first time....I was saying about 8 months ago.that this is the guy thats gonna beat him...thats why Silva's. been duckin him....this should be a great card....long over due for the Ufc(ppv wise)...I will be at the bar for this one

    -Beast Mode-
    Silva has been ducking we weid cause he is a nobody to most of us. Silva is old not getting old. He wants big money fights and weid is not one of those. Silva will knock him out. Silva called out the smaller opponent gsp. He did so cause gsp fights make more then anyone else period. A lot more. He said he would fight jones but dana needs to entice him.
    Weid hae done nothing impressive and doesnt even deserve a title shot but they have no one else cause rashad didnt agree to drop down.

  27. #27
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    I never understood how people claim GSP just "lays" on his opponents. While there have been a few fights where it seemed that way, most of the time he inflicts damage. Just look at Fitch's face after their fight. These same haters never say anything about the snore-fests that Silva has had. Remember Cote and Maia?

    Silva-Jones is a definite mismatch. The same reasons Silva would beat GSP hold true for why Jones would beat Anderson: size and strength advantages. In addition to those advantages, I believe Jones is the better all-around fighter. He is a new generation of fighter (I know how often that cliché gets thrown around). As much as I love MMA, the level of the athletes that compete in it compared to the athletes in the NFL and the NBA are lightyears away. Jones, on the other hand, comes from a family of elite athletes. In addition to the fact that he has trained MMA for several years now, he also has excellent wrestling which is Silva's biggest weak point.

    Besides the fact that Silva is afraid to fight Jones and instead calls out the smaller fighter in GSP, Silva himself has stated that he doesn't think he could beat Jones (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/1/448...prediction-ufc). That was not because of modesty either.
    I think your comparison of MMA to NFL is way off. Did you not ever see the TV special about Ben Henderson where Larry Fitzgerald shows up to watch him train.

    Larry said it clear as day the training an Elite level fighter is above and beyond anything in the NFL.

    Larry went on to say the NFL trains for short fast busrts of speed and power.
    Meaning they train to do a certain thing at maximum potential for a max of 40sec then rest reset and do it again.

    Where as MMA fighters trains for max speed n power for extended periods of time with minimal breaks. Not to mention there is no protection in MMA aside from 4.5oz gloves that due more to protect your hands then your opponents face.

    I would venture to say there is more athleticism involved in MMA then either NBA or NFL.

  28. #28
    Zodiac82's Avatar
    Zodiac82 is offline AR's Scrapple Lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post

    Silva has been ducking we weid cause he is a nobody to most of us. Silva is old not getting old. He wants big money fights and weid is not one of those. Silva will knock him out. Silva called out the smaller opponent gsp. He did so cause gsp fights make more then anyone else period. A lot more. He said he would fight jones but dana needs to entice him.
    Weid hae done nothing impressive and doesnt even deserve a title shot but they have no one else cause rashad didnt agree to drop down.
    whaaaaaaaaaat....weidman is undefeated firstly....and has won his fights convincingly....hes also a wrestler which Silva has his weaknesses against....Weidman is more than deserving of a title shot....Silva gets paid bank regardless....yrs of course certain fighters will get him more money but its not like he wont get a 300,000 show check anyway....Weidman will expose Silva

    -Beast Mode-

  29. #29
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by .

    Besides the fact that Silva is afraid to fight Jones and instead calls out the smaller fighter in GSP, Silva himself has stated that he doesn't think he could beat Jones ([URL="http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/1/4484802/anderson-silva-vs-jon-jones-super-fight-prediction-ufc
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/1/4484802/anderson-silva-vs-jon-jones-super-fight-prediction-ufc[/URL]). That was not because of modesty either.
    Silva has publicly said he's not scared to fight Jones simply the money gas to be right. For god sake Silva just signed a 10 fight deal. Do you honestly think Silva will be fighting that long no he wants to get paid before he retires.

    And let's think about this logically here.
    Silva called out GSP first because its the smart thing to do.
    Why??
    Well if Silva were to call out Jones and then say Silva wins. There is no way in hell GSP will fight him after he just beat jones. Or say Silva loses to Jones well all the hype is now gone and GSP won't want to be the second UFC fighter to beat an aging Silva.

    Now say Silva calls out GSP and more then likely wins that pretty much forces a Silva vs Jones with an even bigger hype machine behind it now.

    I'm sure you can see now the reason why Silva is doing what he's doing because its smart.
    Silva isn't ducking anyone n why should he. He is the best in the sport at this moment.

  30. #30
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    Silva has publicly said he's not scared to fight Jones simply the money gas to be right. For god sake Silva just signed a 10 fight deal. Do you honestly think Silva will be fighting that long no he wants to get paid before he retires.

    And let's think about this logically here.
    Silva called out GSP first because its the smart thing to do.
    Why??
    Well if Silva were to call out Jones and then say Silva wins. There is no way in hell GSP will fight him after he just beat jones. Or say Silva loses to Jones well all the hype is now gone and GSP won't want to be the second UFC fighter to beat an aging Silva.

    Now say Silva calls out GSP and more then likely wins that pretty much forces a Silva vs Jones with an even bigger hype machine behind it now.

    I'm sure you can see now the reason why Silva is doing what he's doing because its smart.
    Silva isn't ducking anyone n why should he. He is the best in the sport at this moment.
    I think you are mistaking cardio for athleticism. There is no question the level of athlete in sports like basketball and football are grossly superior. MMA training may be more intense, but it is from a cardio aspect. Football players are faster, stronger, more agile, have better hand-eye coordination, and better balance. It makes sense too. Sports like basketball and football have been around A LOT longer than MMA, so there are WAY more kids practicing those sports than MMA. Just by sheer math and statistics, it makes sense why those sports would have better athletes: there is a much larger pool to choose from. In addition to that, why would elite athletes choose MMA? In the NFL and NBA you will make insanely more money both on average and at the highest level. The highest paid MMA athlete, GSP, makes way less than most NFL and NBA players; and GSP is a huge outlier. Have you seen the pay that MMA fighters make? Why would one who possesses elite athleticism choose a sport where you get hurt more, get paid WAY less, are a tenth as famous (so you won't be raking in the ladies nearly as much), and don't enjoy the protection from players' unions? Give me LeBron and AP over any MMA fighter. They are a hundred times better athlete than even guys like GSP.

    Silva is definitely afraid of Jones. I understand the logic of taking a GSP fight before a Jones fight; but the fact remains, he just started recently warming up to the idea of fighting Jones. Also that 10-fight contract he has is bullshit. He just said it himself (like he said he would lose to Jones) that he won't finish that contract. He is way too old. I also don't believe he is the best. Currently, he is the best of all time; but that is a title earned from an entire career. He is not as elite as Jones is right now. It is similar to saying Jordan is better than LeBron (not as extreme, but the logic is the same). Jordan has had a better career so far, and he may even be better than James when LeBron retires; but right now he isn't as good. Again I know that is extreme as MJ is old as hell, but people tend to think that because Anderson is the greatest of all time (GOAT) and he is still fighting, he is the best now too. I am more confident that Jones would beat Silva than I am Silva's beating GSP.

  31. #31
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    I will also add a few more comments on the athleticism aspect. There is a reason why you have more and more people who "train UFC" (God, I hate when people say "UFC" instead of "MMA"). There are a lot of people who fight now too, and label themselves "fighters." These are guys who aren't nearly as athletic as the quality of athlete you will see in the NFL and NBA. You don't see many people who call themselves basketball players. It is one thing to play basketball with friends or even in a league, but it is different than what you see with people in MMA. There are way more delusional people who have the goal to eventually be in the UFC than there are people who have a goal to be in the NBA. You can't enter the NFL and NBA if you haven't been playing it for years (since high school at the VERY latest). There are still fighters whose credentials aren't that great that fight for the most elite organization, UFC. It hasn't been that long (≈ 15 years) since you saw guys like Tank Abbott fighting in the UFC.

    I think people are sensitive to the idea that other sports require more athleticism because either they practice MMA or some aspect of MMA themselves, or they are huge fans of it. It is similar to how golfers (zagga, where are you at? ) will argue that golf is a sport. Now MMA is definitely a sport, but the level of athlete is nowhere near that which what you see at the professional level of football and basketball. Perhaps when MMA has been around long enough, has competitive pay (both on average and at the high-end), is as big as sports like football and basketball, and has simple things like fighter unions; then you may begin to see the most elite athletes transition to it. A lot of the athleticism you see in MMA fighters is a result of hard work (which is very noble); but like it or not, the potential for elite athleticism is genetic. People with the genetic potential both on a physical basis and athletic basis to be an elite athlete who also take the time to train and practice to reach their full potential will continue to choose sports like football and basketball for quite some time.

    It is possible for a man with no MMA training (sans being an elite wrestler) to enter the UFC (the most elite organization) and WIN the heavyweight championship (I am looking at you Brock). This will never happen in the NFL or NBA. What is great about this comparison is the fact that Brock tried "to just enter the NFL" like he is getting an application at Starbucks, and we all saw what happened. He admits it himself that he didn't know what the hell he was doing (he played football all they until high school too). He made it to the training camp, and that was it. There will NEVER be a person who just enters the NFL, let alone win the MVP award (equivalent of winning the most prestigious MMA title).
    Last edited by basketballfan22; 07-05-2013 at 12:52 AM.

  32. #32
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    I will also add a few more comments on the athleticism aspect. There is a reason why you have more and more people who "train UFC" (God, I hate when people say "UFC" instead of "MMA"). There are a lot of people who fight now too, and label themselves "fighters." These are guys who aren't nearly as athletic as the quality of athlete you will see in the NFL and NBA. You don't see many people who call themselves basketball players. It is one thing to play basketball with friends or even in a league, but it is different than what you see with people in MMA. There are way more delusional people who have the goal to eventually be in the UFC than there are people who have a goal to be in the NBA. You can't enter the NFL and NBA if you haven't been playing it for years (since high school at the VERY latest). There are still fighters whose credentials aren't that great that fight for the most elite organization, UFC. It hasn't been that long (? 15 years) since you saw guys like Tank Abbott fighting in the UFC.

    I think people are sensitive to the idea that other sports require more athleticism because either they practice MMA or some aspect of MMA themselves, or they are huge fans of it. It is similar to how golfers (zagga, where are you at? ) will argue that golf is a sport. Now MMA is definitely a sport, but the level of athlete is nowhere near that which what you see at the professional level of football and basketball. Perhaps when MMA has been around long enough, has competitive pay (both on average and at the high-end), is as big as sports like football and basketball, and has simple things like fighter unions; then you may begin to see the most elite athletes transition to it. A lot of the athleticism you see in MMA fighters is a result of hard work (which is very noble); but like it or not, the potential for elite athleticism is genetic. People with the genetic potential both on a physical basis and athletic basis to be an elite athlete who also take the time to train and practice to reach their full potential will continue to choose sports like football and basketball for quite some time.

    It is possible for a man with no MMA training (sans being an elite wrestler) to enter the UFC (the most elite organization) and WIN the heavyweight championship (I am looking at you Brock). This will never happen in the NFL or NBA. What is great about this comparison is the fact that Brock tried "to just enter the NFL" like he is getting an application at Starbucks, and we all saw what happened. He admits it himself that he didn't know what the hell he was doing (he played football all they until high school too). He made it to the training camp, and that was it. There will NEVER be a person who just enters the NFL, let alone win the MVP award (equivalent of winning the most prestigious MMA title).
    Your comparisons are all over the place.

    Just because its been around longer or more people play football or basketball or they make more money or the fact you said why would people want to be a fighter when you can make more money with less risk with other sports all that don't mean crap.

    Under your thought process that would mean Boxers are more athletic then a MMA Fighter which is laughable at best.

    I have played Football Basketball and train HARD in MMA while no where near at professional level but non the less played n trained. MMA was by far the toughest.
    Not to mention Larry Fitzgerald said himself in his opinion he feels he couldn't complete most of MMA training. Thats the opinion of a great NFL player. But you choose to disregard that in favor of your own opinion.

    At the end of the day these are just our opinions and you know what they say about opinions.

  33. #33
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Sorry to the OP for side tracking your thread.

    The UFC is the best promotion company at the moment. While Bellator puts on some decent fights most if not all of bellators fighters fight their Hearst out in hopes of one day making it to the UFC.

    If you like to watch MMA go check out some local amateurs fights man they go to war and its fun to watch.

  34. #34
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by DB1982 View Post
    Your comparisons are all over the place.

    Just because its been around longer or more people play football or basketball or they make more money or the fact you said why would people want to be a fighter when you can make more money with less risk with other sports all that don't mean crap.

    Under your thought process that would mean Boxers are more athletic then a MMA Fighter which is laughable at best.

    I have played Football Basketball and train HARD in MMA while no where near at professional level but non the less played n trained. MMA was by far the toughest.
    Not to mention Larry Fitzgerald said himself in his opinion he feels he couldn't complete most of MMA training. Thats the opinion of a great NFL player. But you choose to disregard that in favor of your own opinion.

    At the end of the day these are just our opinions and you know what they say about opinions.
    That is how debates work. The strongest argument is one that utilizes many aspects and points to support its claim, not just one. There are a multitude of reasons why the athletes in the NFL and NBA are superior to those in the UFC or other MMA organizations (the ones I gave). My opinion is one based on facts (nothing I said was untrue), and logic then dictates the conclusion one would come to. The fact that Larry Fitzgerald said no one in the NFL can fully train in MMA is based on the fact that there is more cardio. NO ONE in MMA would be able to go to the NFL and compete. They are too slow, small, weak, and are inferior at a variety of other athletic attributes. There are currently former NFL players that made it too the UFC though. Larry could say the same thing about NFL players' not being able to train for the Tour de France. Most of the athletes would literally die if they tried preparing for that. Does that mean cyclists are better athletes too? No.

    I too have trained Brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay Thai for three years, and I also played football and basketball growing up. You and I are not good indicators of what takes more athleticism since we weren't nearly good enough to play for a big-time university, let alone the NFL. The quality of the players in the NFL is beyond anything you or I can imagine. Just because you and I played football means nothing when talking about the NFL.

    Name the attributes that qualify as athletic. I will attempt to do so right now: speed, acceleration, strength, endurance, flexibility, balance, agility, vertical leap, and hand-eye coordination. Athletes in the NFL and NBA possess a higher level of those attributes than MMA fighters, both on average and at the most elite level. I would put any money that the athletes from the NBA and NFL would succeed far more in other sports (including MMA) than the athletes from MMA. David Batista is an MMA fighter for God's sake. Herschel Walker STILL competes in MMA, and he is 51! He is very athletic, but do you actually believe Walker would be able to complete in the NFL? He would die.
    Last edited by basketballfan22; 07-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.

  35. #35
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    All of the things you named are also attributes needed to be a successful elite level MMA fighter too.

    And you see more guys from the NFL an such transitioning to MMA because its easier to get in because of simple name recognition (easy to sell tickets). And of these former NFL players competing in MMA none are of elite level or fighting opponents of a compelling calibur.

    Brook Lesnar was the only one getting to roll with the big dogs and we all know how that ended he was overrated and was giving unjustified opportunities simply because his name n could sell tickets.

    On top of that all these other sports you mention are team based. Where one could have an off day and still get by. Not so much in MMA its you and only you All the time.

    I look at it like this " He who trains the hardest trains to be the best" I'm my honest opinion MMA training is the hardest all around training there is for a single person (not a team) in the sports world.

    Like I said we could round and round over this at the end of the day its just our opinions
    Last edited by DB1982; 07-05-2013 at 12:43 PM.

  36. #36
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    http://www.askmen.com/top_10/sports/...st-sports.html


    This ESPN chart shows boxing at number 1. And Martial art #5 and everybody can agree MMA is a sport where it takes the best of all forms of combat sports.
    So it would easily be #1

    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

    Another.

    http://www.topendsports.com/world/li...sport/espn.htm

    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...other-athletes

    I could go on and on about this but it seems I'm not the only one who believes MMA is at the Top of athleticism. While the some my list boxing that's simple because the is no such sport listed as Mixed Martial Arts. But MMA incubuses all forms of combat including Boxing Wrestling n Martial arts which were ranked respectfully at #1 ,5 & 6. .

    Take what you want from this but I still feel the same MMA is top dog they are the toughest of all athletes .

  37. #37
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    That is how debates work. The strongest argument is one that utilizes many aspects and points to support its claim, not just one. There are a multitude of reasons why the athletes in the NFL and NBA are superior to those in the UFC or other MMA organizations (the ones I gave). My opinion is one based on facts (nothing I said was untrue), and logic then dictates the conclusion one would come to. The fact that Larry Fitzgerald said no one in the NFL can fully train in MMA is based on the fact that there is more cardio. NO ONE in MMA would be able to go to the NFL and compete. They are too slow, small, weak, and are inferior at a variety of other athletic attributes. There are currently former NFL players that made it too the UFC though. Larry could say the same thing about NFL players' not being able to train for the Tour de France. Most of the athletes would literally die if they tried preparing for that. Does that mean cyclists are better athletes too? No.

    I too have trained Brazilian jiu-jitsu and muay Thai for three years, and I also played football and basketball growing up. You and I are not good indicators of what takes more athleticism since we weren't nearly good enough to play for a big-time university, let alone the NFL. The quality of the players in the NFL is beyond anything you or I can imagine. Just because you and I played football means nothing when talking about the NFL.

    Name the attributes that qualify as athletic. I will attempt to do so right now: speed, acceleration, strength, endurance, flexibility, balance, agility, vertical leap, and hand-eye coordination. Athletes in the NFL and NBA possess a higher level of those attributes than MMA fighters, both on average and at the most elite level. I would put any money that the athletes from the NBA and NFL would succeed far more in other sports (including MMA) than the athletes from MMA. David Batista is an MMA fighter for God's sake. Herschel Walker STILL competes in MMA, and he is 51! He is very athletic, but do you actually believe Walker would be able to complete in the NFL? He would die.
    I will not fault your opinion cause your 22. I would advice you to keep a more open mind, especially cause your only 22.
    Mma takes just as much athleticism as football and vise versa. Many things mma guys can do balance wise that football guys couldn't and again, vise versa.
    Its not about who is a better athlete to which sport and you have not competed at both sports nor close to a pro level so your opinion does not have much validity. I do like hearing your point of view nonetheless.

    I am excited for tomo night

  38. #38
    gearbox's Avatar
    gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,355
    Quote Originally Posted by cancer82 View Post
    whaaaaaaaaaat....weidman is undefeated firstly....and has won his fights convincingly....hes also a wrestler which Silva has his weaknesses against....Weidman is more than deserving of a title shot....Silva gets paid bank regardless....yrs of course certain fighters will get him more money but its not like he wont get a 300,000 show check anyway....Weidman will expose Silva

    -Beast Mode-
    Give me one worthy opponent he has beat. Chose wisely! He is now famous cause the title shot he has been given. Its almost as bad as Micheal b. Thinking he was at Silva s level and belfort quickly reminded him that he is not close.

  39. #39
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox View Post

    Give me one worthy opponent he has beat. Chose wisely! He is now famous cause the title shot he has been given. Its almost as bad as Micheal b. Thinking he was at Silva s level and belfort quickly reminded him that he is not close.
    While I am a huge Silva fan . Weidman is a good fighter.
    He has beat Mark Munoz ,Damian Maia & Uriah Hall are some guys he's beat.

    I hope Silva does in fact win in dominating fashion. But like all great fighter age is their worst enemy and Silva is 38 .

    Let's keep in mind Silva has taken very little punishment in his career. And by the numbers (stats). Is the least hit fighter in the UFC But also the most accurate also.
    Those are two astounding stats at this level in MMA.

    Weidman is a good fighter and is to be respected in the ring. But Silva is the greatest and is to be feared.

  40. #40
    DB1982's Avatar
    DB1982 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    591
    Its a shame we all didn't live in a local area.

    We could all go watch the fights have some drinks and bullshit about this same shit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •