Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By HGH4Lymes
  • 1 Post By Chicagotarsier

Thread: Who are some fighters that hit their primes in the early 30s?

kataklysm202 is offline New Member

Who are some fighters that hit their primes in the early 30s?

Hello, i have a couple questions i was wondering about.

1. Can you name me some fighters who hit their best/primes in the early 30s (30-33) or so.

2. What year was Werdums prime? he still seems to be holding out strong, im going to watch some of his fights.

3. Does having high testosterone levels help in a fight? I was wondering why there are so many fighters peaking in the late 20s, early 30s (powerlifters/bodybuilders seem to be like that as well), sometimes older, even though test levels start to slowly decline after 21-22, 19-21 years old is supposed to be when a man has the most amount of testosterone running through his body, while i do realize some fighters peak in the early 20s and are worn out by 25 usually because of injuries or genetics, but its not as common as those who peak from 28-33 from my experience specially in the heavier weightclasses.
    I read somewhere that your high test/hormones may effect technique at that age, later on when your hormones are evening off you are able to think clearer in a fight or flight situation, and your body is no longer having any changes in growth or hormones which cause little changes and cause small variations in your technique, while you can be very explosive at that age, they are not as strong and they never seem to be near there primes at 21-22

Thanks for the help.

j3374 is offline Associate Member
    You're talking about peaking as in a fighter's physical attributes- like endurance, speed & strength. I honestly believe that fighters (especially the intelligent ones with strategic training camps) peak mentally and emotionally at mid thirties to forty. Of course, their physical attributes are declining at this point, so "peaking", to me, can really depend on the fighter.

A lot of fighters that start out early have a lot of potential, but they get caught up in partying, bad business and lifestyle choices, and end up fading away before they really fill their potential.

Seems like the older fighters that do well up until just before 40, learn to be more strategic and win that way.

Mp859 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Bernard Hopkins peaked super late

HGH4Lymes is offline New Member
    it's more about ur total career than testosterone . some boxers have 200+ amateur fights by the time they are 16 yo and they turn pro by 20. they's boxed in high school, college or the military and/or their father may have been a boxer who was training them since 8 yo. these guys have a tremendous advantage b/c of physical and mental training. besides physical they have a huge mental advantage b/c they've experienced the roller coaster of wins and losses and also don't get psyc'd out in the ring as easily (personally I think it's impossible to play mind games with Russian boxers).
    other guys have a lot of natural talent but no mentors, few amateur fights and don't turn pro till 25. these guys will peek much later and have a much harder climb to the top. but like j3374 said if they have a good training camp it's very possible
    Last edited by HGH4Lymes; 12-19-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    j3374 and corestorm like this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    In a real fight...not a boxing match...it is all about experience. At 40 I could beat any marine you threw at me in their 20s hand to hand. No other reason than I had seen it all and had the scars to prove it. You could jack that Marine on whatever you wanted but the results were the same.

As HGH said some of these people have been training since single digits. When they hit 30 they have 20+ years of experience under their belt. Why Foreman could box into his late 40s...he knew it all and made the other guy fight his fight.
    j3374 likes this.

corestorm is offline Associate Member
    I've met people that have started boxing at the age of 30 went pro and dominated in the ring.

corestorm is offline Associate Member
    High test levels effect aggression substantially in a fight. It can be a good thing, and a bad thing. It depends on the person, fatigue etc comes into play as well..

Thread Information