Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By armbar83
  • 1 Post By BITTAPART2
  • 2 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Basics boxing

Phildude is offline Junior Member

Basics boxing

I am looking to enter boxing, and I have no experience. I am wondering what some basic things are that I can do while in the gym to help me out, (lots of cardio, calenstetics, type of conditioning, etc.) before I join in.

Thanks

armbar83 is offline Senior Member
    cardio
    athletic core lifts-hang cleans, bench, squats, ect.
    get used to jumping rope
    get used to not being stiff- if you dont participate in alot of sports and only lift weights you might be really stiff, try to do calestetics relaxed and focused (if that makes any sense at all)

honestly, once you get in there youll see, its just doing the drills and sparring. thats the only way to get better at boxing. prepare for it like you would any other sport but maybe more cardio than normal.
    j3374 likes this.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    I was into boxing back in 1998, we had some weights but we never really used them has a body builder would, it was just fast lifting more of interval training.

I loved boxing, 20 minutes jumping rope, shadow boxing, bag work, and lots of techics.

I am 34 years old now and i would love to get back into boxing, not to compete but just to get back in amazing shape.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildude
    I am looking to enter boxing, and I have no experience. I am wondering what some basic things are that I can do while in the gym to help me out, (lots of cardio, calenstetics, type of conditioning, etc.) before I join in.

Thanks
    Cardio and core lifts and olympic lifts. Also how old are you?

BITTAPART2 is offline Senior Member
    yeah bro until you start training it is pretty basic.. IMo no weights are needed if you are going to box, pushups/pullups/sprints..cardio cardio cardio cardio cardio...also recovery..so sprint all out back to back and decrease the rest time between sprints
    j3374 likes this.

somethings that took me a while to figure out:

when you throw a punch try to pop it, like your dislocating your arm from your shoulder. if not youll end up "pushing" your punches instead of popping them

after every punch think about bringing that punch back so you can use its leverage to throw the next one. its almost like dancing as weak as that sounds, but after a while youll get the feel for it.

move around. if your used to hitting a bag and not sparring, you might tend to sit directly infront of an opponent and throw combinations. your punches should come from angles to your opponent. example. if your reg stanced, fire your jabs while stepping to the left outside of your opponent...step outside and bend your knees digging down for a body hook...

theres lots of little things...hope that helps a little...

I'm 21, I ran cross country (... and played tennis) in high school, nothing but recreational fun sports in college like intramurals, and now I've been doing lifting for about 4 years now, and doing powerlifting routines for the last year. I am ~193ish pounds now, I'd say ~10%
    I know some boxing basics from free training boxing websites on the internet, but only basic stuff (like basic footwork, turning forearm and not wrist when you hit, 'no wrists in boxing'), and I loved all your advices. I understand everything you all are saying it's music to my ears. Thanks for all your help I forgot about jumping rope and how important that is.

kurghan is offline New Member
    PLYOMETRICS!!! Get some ups, and build on your footwork with jumprope drills involving dot drills. 5 dots on the floor placed like on a domino, feet together or one foot at a time hopping from dot to dot and crossing over on the middle. Set up different height boxes and learn some basic plyometric drills. Your footwork, and particularly your ability to close and strike from a distance is really valuable.

Patches24 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonar1234
    I am 34 years old now and i would love to get back into boxing, not to compete but just to get back in amazing shape.
    I've heard others claim that boxing is very physically demanding, and helps people get into amazing shape. Is it, with all other things equal, more demanding than training in BJJ? Any of you have an opinion on this? just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Patches24
    I've heard others claim that boxing is very physically demanding, and helps people get into amazing shape. Is it, with all other things equal, more demanding than training in BJJ? Any of you have an opinion on this? just wondering

yah, boxing is more cardio demanding, but with both, the more you do them the more relaxed you get. i can roll and flow and hardly sweat, but when i box it uses up so much more energy, you never really can take a break, your either hitting, blocking, or countering. with bjj most of the time your on your back, butt, or knees using alot less energy.

RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member
    Boxing isnt something you can just jump into if your out of shape and expect to be prevailant. Like anything else, It takes time and dedication and a realistic outlook on your progress. Hit a heavy bag for 3 minutes straight and see how you feel. I guarentee in the beginning you will be winded with in the first half of that time period. But a good trainer i feel is ultimately important. A trainer will get you on the right path. And take it from me, once your body adapts to it you will feel incredible.

Anaboxa34 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildude

Thanks
    This actually kind of funny because i am just getting out of boxing and back into weight lifting.

Before you start drastically changing the way you exercise what are you looking to get out of boxing. LIke are you interested in competing or is it just to learn self defense/cardio/get into better shape. If you are interested in getting serious with this sport (something you wont' know till after you spend a couple months exoeriencing it) here are some tips to help you out.

Calenstetics will help somewhat but your body is not used to the way your going to be using it when you start boxing and the only way to properly stretch your muscles is to actually start throwing punches.

General cardio work (jogging/riding the bike/etc..) will really do you no good. Boxing is an explosive sport, and the way its done is 2-3 mins of hard work(whether it be sparring, hitting the bag, or whatever) then 30 secs-1 min of rest. This is what you want to try and imitate outside of the boxing gym. What worked best for me (outside of the gym) was going to a track and running two miles in this fashion:
    1/4 mile warmup
    1/4 mile light sprints on straights jog the corners
    1 mile intense sprints on straights job the corners
    1/2 mile jogging -cooldown

Long cardio workouts to have there place in this sport but they will help you build your wind when you start hitting the bag.

When it comes to weight lifting:

For about the last year of my boxing career-for lack of a better word- i started to work weight lifting into my routine.

I generally found lifting heavy-(3-6 reps) noticeably slowed down the speed of my hands. When i moved up to lighter weight for 10-15 reps i felt stronger faster punches.

Keep in mind that this was how my body reacted to integrating weight lifting and boxing but weight lifting/brute strength is not very important in this sport at the amateur levels (which i did not go past). Once you spend some time in the boxing gym you will gain sport specific strength and this can only be gained in the boxing gym-not the weight room.

This should get you off on to a good start-and good luck with your boxing experience. If you have any further questions feel free to post them.

j3374 is offline Associate Member
    It depends on how you train. Some gyms don't require everyone to spar. The one I trained at wouldn't let anyone spar until they showed a certain level of technical ability (liability issue).
    They'll warm up with calisthetics and some cardio likely. I read that plyos were mentioned in a previous post- good call. You get most of your power in boxing from technique, footwork, timing, ect. and the weights just helps alot if you're competitive with it.

Logged in first time in a while, and dugged this up, appreciate all your help bros. Been riddled with injuries this past year, for lack of better wording it ****ing sucks. Hope to get back into weight room and possibly a boxing gym soon. I was hoping I could start boxing while still being in the weight room, but it kind of sounds to that it's one or the other. If it is that way, it breaks my heart. But I have to go with weight lifting, it has been good to me.

100m champ is offline Member
    Just go to the Boxing Gym and they will Find u some cardio and build up your training as u learn proper technique.

paleocaveman is offline New Member
    Shadowbox, shadowbox, shadowbox. If you think your shadowboxing sucks, imagine how you will look during a fight.

swolestriker3 is offline New Member
    I would recommend going to a gym and learning the fundamentals, DO NOT try and learn on your own as you could develop bad habits with your punches and footwork. Learn the form and then practice.

HulkSmash1 is offline New Member
    Find someone to hold focus mitts for you and spar.

Estoy is offline New Member
    Hi,

I used to compete at a very high level in Europe. When my trainers weren't there, I sometimes replaced them. What I used to preach to newbs, is start with the very basics and that is the jab and the cross. Focus on those, before you ever throw a hook or uppercut.

Besides that, I assume that your cardio is already ''normal''. If not, do some cardio training before you start boxing, it will benefit you, I will promise!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildude View Post

Thanks
    you put your energy where your boxing instructor tells you to put it!

you have to learn balance, develop eye/hand coordination, learn to jump rope and use the speed bag. You need to learn your stance, how to jab, how to punch, hook, upper cut, and keep your freaking guard up. All boxing newbs drop their guard when they throw a punch. it's funny as hell to watch.

and with boxing, as in distance running, the lighter you are the better. so work on losing bf%. get your diet right. stop smoking/drinking.

Learn how to wrap your hand. Learn what to do when your knuckles hurt.

get some boxing gloves and some speed gloves.

get the right kind of shoes that support your ankles so you don't twist your freeking ankle when you are moving around.

and when you start boxing, don't think that when you hit the heavy bag, that every punch needs to have knockout power in it. All this will do is make you tired and hurt your knuckles. it takes years to build up the necessary bone density required to get in the ring and hit a bloke in his head for ten rounds.

Boxing is a great sport.

Enjoy!
    ---Roman
    Estoy and j3374 like this.

txnhb is offline Associate Member
    Run and run

treant is offline Junior Member
    You'll need ANAEROBIC capacity... So like.. interval sprints and like... burpees and squat jumps.. but boxing itself will really improve all of that a lot.. Whats stopping you from just.. going to boxing?

If you want to box.. Just go box.. Do it as often as your body will allow, 3 times a week or more. If your on juice, hell, you could probably box every single day and then you'd get good REALLY ****ing fast..The weight room is secondary importance.. It's not even really necessary. Just do what your trainers tell you to.

MrFreshmaker is offline Productive Member
    This is an old thread,but anyway i have a question.For cardio i do boxing(hitting the bagg),and i wonder if that affects muscles growing?does boxing shrinks muscle?

Hmm.. look at Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by MrFreshmaker View Post
    This is an old thread,but ...
    Woah, yeah I gotta check dates before I post. heh.

I doubt the dude still checks in like.. YEARS later to see if anyone posted about how he was starting boxing like 5 years ago.

MrFreshmaker is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by treant
    Woah, yeah I gotta check dates before I post. heh. I doubt the dude still checks in like.. YEARS later to see if anyone posted about how he was starting boxing like 5 years ago.
    Maybe he is champion now lol

Thread Information