Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joco71
  • 1 Post By djgreen

Thread: Would MMA training hurt my strength/size gains?

musclestack is offline Productive Member

Would MMA training hurt my strength/size gains?

I have a feeling this questions has been asked numerous times in the past, but with the evolution of any sport, new opinions and theories come along each day, so I'm going to ask it again. I have been interested in learning fighting technique for a while now. I don't think I'd ever like to take it seriously enough to compete, but I would like to train a couple times a week just to have some formal training in self defense.

Powerlifting (and weight training in general, for that matter) is my number one priority, so I don't want to sacrifice any strength (or size, since I lift for that too), so do you think training MMA twice a week just to learn technique would hurt my gains?

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think so, it will def help loosen you up which is a good thing.

Thanks for the reply, Joco. Do you train MMA yourself?

No I'm not bad but the bad don't mess with me!! lol

I have buddies that do. I wrestled when I was in school grappling requires flexability and plenty of stretching. If your tight all the time and feel like a square box walking around you would feel so much better and agile. It truly makes a huge difference. keep in mind that it takes a couple of weeks. Good Luck
    musclestack likes this.

PistolPete33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I do both although I don't train MMA as much as I used to due to many injuries I've gotten while training. I loved training BJJ and you can do both lifting and BJJ. The bigger you are though the faster you will get winded. BJJ is a very different type of cardio than what you've prob. ever done but it's awesome when you start getting better.

djgreen is offline Senior Member
    if you plane on getting serious you may not want big because huge muscle slows you down look at all the top mma fighters they are cut but not huge because they just train for what they need which is strength, speed and stamina
    spywizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete33 View Post
    I do both although I don't train MMA as much as I used to due to many injuries I've gotten while training. I loved training BJJ and you can do both lifting and BJJ. The bigger you are though the faster you will get winded. BJJ is a very different type of cardio than what you've prob. ever done but it's awesome when you start getting better.
    That's one other thing I was worried about; getting injured. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind getting banged up, but I don't want to lose any lifting days due to being injured.

Quote Originally Posted by djgreen View Post
    if you plane on getting serious you may not want big because huge muscle slows you down look at all the top mma fighters they are cut but not huge because they just train for what they need which is strength, speed and stamina
    Thanks, DJ. As I mentioned in the OP, I don't plan on getting serious with it. Just a couple times a week to learn technique and self defense. Powerbuilding takes presedence for me.

Well, guys. I just called a local MMA gym, and my first class will be on Monday. They have 3 coaches there that are currently, or have been, UFC fighters. Should be fun! I'll let you know how it goes. Nothing wrong with giving it a month or so to see how I like it, I suppose.

Awesome!! I think you will like it and it will be new and different workout for ya. Sometimes the gym can get boring if you don't mix it up. Enjoy!!

Well, I had my first class today. I gotta say, it was fun. Brutal, but fun. I don't have any formal fighting experience, so I didn't expect to do well in sparring the other guys, but I still got a great workout. One of the guys who I sparred, you could tell he'd been doing this for a while. He pretty well kicked my ass, but I did manage to get a takedown on him. He took me down as well once, but I out powered him to gain top position both times. Was by far dominant in wrestling, but he pulled some kind of summer salt over me and put me in an arm bar lol. My stand up sucks and, to be honest, I don't have much of a ground game either other than being strong (which, I won't lie, helped out a lot). Cardio? Well, let's just say I had to stop in the middle of it to catch my breath lol. Was hard to even keep my arms up towards the end.

So, now I have to decide whether or not I'll go back. Honestly, the worst part about it was the cardio. Sparring just took it out of me; so much that the third guy I sparred with, I didn't even attempt to take to the ground because I knew I'd just be gassed. Instead, all I could do was try my best to cover up to keep from being hit. Haha I looked pretty pathetic.

I guess the only complaint I have about it is the fact that the last 30 minutes of class is sparring. Which is great if you know what you're doing. I mean, the first 45 minutes to an hour, is combination punches and kicks with a partner, which is great for coordination skills I suppose, but doesn't really teach me about actual fighting/self defense. Then all of a sudden, we just started sparring. For someone who has no idea what they're doing, I'm basically just a punching bag for the majority of the other guys. It would be nice if, first, they would teach me how to defend myself properly (other than just tucking my head and covering it with my hands). I mean, I was never even taught the proper way to throw a punch. Or kick. Or what to do AFTER you get a takedown. Then what? I'm just not sure if I want to hand over $100 a month (12 month contract btw) if I'm not actually going to LEARN the proper way to fight. Am I just supposed to get in there and pick it up as I go?

Anybody with any suggestions?

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Good stuff mate! first lesson is always tough (just walking in them doors is the toughest part) feels great at the end though!

Doubt you will lose much size only training twice a week, though if you drop cals and stop doing heavy weights then eventually you will!

its really hard to juggle both if you want to get serious. Recovery wise

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Dont worry how you look mate, everyone starts at the bottom! if you enjoy it go back! if not try another gym before deciding. I tried over 6 gyms before settling a few years back.

Energizer, do you still train mma?

not for about 18 months!! just finished up night classes at college, so heading back this September to get stuck in!

Are there any pointers you can offer regarding stand-up? I know you're supposed to use your hips when throwing a punch to get more power out of it. And I've heard to keep your hands just below your eyes to protect yourself. Other than that, I don't know much. I have pretty quick reflexes, but when going against guys who have more training experience than me, I tend to just cover up and do my best to dodge punches. What kind of stance do you use? Anything would be helpful.

So many variations on stand up for mma! and depending on your height, reach, style will dictate how you decide to stand. Being a beginner follow the basic rules, lead with weaker hand, keep hands up around the face, chin tucked, eyes up, learn the jab as this is your most used tool for your arms and the teep for your legs, these both keep partner at bay and help you get your timing. make sure you return hand back to protecting your chin after each punch. when first sparring ask the other guy to take it easy (most people wont take a liberty on a new guy) always ware a mouth guard. ask the trainers any questions you have, any trainer worth there salt will have no problem in guiding you. Just go have fun and ask questions, watch the fighters of similar build to yourself and mirror them.......shadow box when you can. You will soon learn the basics and as you get more confident, you will pick a style that you find comfortable, your trainers should pick up your bad habits. Get involved in ground work, take downs, clinch when ever you can, as transitioning between them is tough! but fun!

ill post a link to a great boxing/training website.

Go on you tube! loads of great vids showing correct stance and how to jab, cross etc etc..

Thanks a lot! I'll check out some youtube vids.

symphonyofdreams is offline Junior Member
    I've done both bodybuilding/ powerlifting training along with all the various martial arts(boxing, wrestling, bjj) and from my experience and others i know personally it will hurt your strength and size gains. that kinda training is extremely taxing and really does affect recovery even on gear. Similar to when i was doing a hard manual labor job. despite eating a ton, and on gear strength and size came to a standstill and was just drained all the time. That said i'm sure you can adjust your training so you can make some gains but they wouldn't be the same as if you lived and breathed bodybuilding.

blake702 is offline Junior Member
    Hey, I've done mma and bodybuilding and it's pretty hard to balance both. The number one thing that's been hard for me is injury. I've blown both acls, broke my tibia, and tore my rotator cuff. If you're just doing bag work or light sparing, then it's a great replacement for cardio, but it's hard to keep it all up. Also, when grappling you'll work a ton of muscles that will be sore and keep you from properly resting or lifting to your full potential. That said if it's fun to you, that's all that matters. I know lots of guys who recreational lift for great bodies and who still do jiu jitsu/mma. Hope that helps! =)

T-boner is offline Associate Member
    I do both. You have to eat a ton of calories and carbs if you want to train BJJ and still grow. I train BJJ techniques several times a week but I only roll hard twice per week. Doing all that I was still able to gain 20lbs on my last cycle. I don't lift on the days I roll hard. I consider those cardio days.

Rwy
    Rwy is offline Productive Member
    You can certainly do both but you will never get better at fighting as a power lifter. I dont know why the kid would give you a whopping unless you came at him hard. In that case you deserved a whopping no offense of course! I am 38 and I switched to striking at about 35 (with zero experience) but passed on bjj bc I had so many injuries from my days of playing basketball.

If you want to get better you should pass on sparring for a bit and work with a trainer and focus mitts. If you are a big dude your kicks are going to be utter shit so you will need to work on flexibility. I would just work boxing for now. The best advice I can give you is to not try to punch your hardest. Fighting is about staying loose, and calm, but at the same time being tense when absorbing an attack. Learn to throw your punch straight down the pipe and snap your punches or turning them over. Breathe out on each punch and take your time

T-boner is offline Associate Member
    I train bjj and I think it is hurting my gains. If you juse train techniques then it won't effect but if you are doing a lot of live sparring then the enormous amount of cardiovascular is hard to eat enough for.

fakenatty is offline New Member
    yes it will, endurance training doesn't help with mass

Thread Information