Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

Rozenstruik taking lip off Overeem after all

Literally, not figuratively.

At this past weekend's UFC on ESPN 7. It wasn't a title fight but it was the final fight on the card, so it was scheduled for five rounds. 'Reem owned Rozenstruik. He was ahead on all cards by a country mile. All he had to do in the final round to get the "W" was not. get. hit.

'Reem was winning the fight for 24 minutes and 55 seconds. Then he forgot the bit about not getting hit. And get hit he did.

I didn't see it in the video but some of the commentators say you could see a bit of 'Reem's lip flying off. Nastiest busted lip I've ever seen.

Deliberately posted as a thumbnail
    for the benefit of the squeamish

And 'Reem, naturally, thinks it was an early stoppage. Except his arms went limp as he fell. He was Oh-You-Tee out. He hit him square on the jaw so hard, in slo-mo you can see the scalp on Reem's head stretching as his skull was driven backwards. If the cage hadn't broken his fall, his head undoubtedly would have bounced off the canvas and he'd have suffered even more dain bramage. Plus he came to rest in a sitting position with his hands in his lap and his head as good as "teed-up," and Rozenstruik's right hand was already cocked and ready to unload the coup de grāce. And even when 'Reem got to his feet he stumbled in some random direction as if he couldn't see where his opponent had got to.

To his credit, Rozenstruik showed mercy and walked off rather than destroying what few brain cells 'Reem has left, even though Miragliotta hadn't yet called the stop. There's obviously bad blood between the two because Rozenstruik wouldn't touch gloves at the start of the fight, so I consider him not taking the "free shot" a remarkable show of sportsmanship and restraint.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Damn that looks nice

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    One of the nastiest cuts I have ever seen.

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    'Reem's camp released a photo of him a couple of days ago with the swelling gone down and the injury not especially visible except for the stitches, but I didn't post it here because I like looking at him better the other way.

Thread Information