Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member

Kkabib maybe ain't done

In an interview during UFC on ABC 1 (which is still underway as I'm typing this) Dana White said he'd had the long awaited 'come to Jesus' meeting with Nurmagomadev yesterday. The bottom line -- according to DW -- is that Khabib says he's accomplished everything he set out to, but he is going to be watching Poirier/McGregor, and whoever Charles Oliveira fights next. And should either outcome show him "something special," he might reconsider fighting again.

On an unrelated note, Dana is campaigning to have Jon 'Bones' Jones' lone professional loss -- a DQ (TUF heavyweight finals, 2009) for a 12 o'clock elbow strike -- lifted. I can think of no reason he would do this other than to reinforce Bones' claim as GOAT.

I think it's a chicken-shit rule but until it isn't a rule the fighters should be held accountable for violating it. And IMHO an 'L' is an 'L,' and a loss for violating the rules is just as valid as one for a KTFO. More Dana Whiteness trying to have the rules bent to suit one of his pet fighters.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    I saw that interview. He will come back if someone impressed him next week. We will see

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    I saw that interview. He will come back if someone impressed him next week. We will see
    If Conor McGregor wins, he'll certainly call khabib out. Even provoke him.

Tonight will settle it. If dustin wins, I think khabib retires. If Conor wins, khabib will eventually fight him again

jstone is offline Knowledgeable Member
    khabib will fight one more time regardless of what happens, the real question is who, and when. 30-0 is the number him and his father were going for IIRC.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughinn View Post
    If Conor McGregor wins, he'll certainly call khabib out. Even provoke him.

Tonight will settle it. If dustin wins, I think khabib retires. If Conor wins, khabib will eventually fight him again
    Maybe Conor will but I don’t think Khibib has any interest in giving him the satisfaction of a rematch. I will be shocked if we see Khabib fight again. He has dominated everyone in the weight class

There are stories about that Khabib and Dana had another meeting about his future in MMA at the end of February. What I find interesting about that is that there's been no news from Dana yet Khabib has been visible on the Internet, among other things stating that he doesn't want to hold up the progression of champions in the division and opining that Dustin Poirier deserves to be the champ.

So if that meeting took place, the fact that there's been no news from gives me to think one of two things came forward from it. I'm thinking that if Khabib had told Dana he's done, we'd already have heard. But the fact that there's been no news makes me suspect that either nothing was decided, in which case Dana would have nothing to announce, or Khabib has agreed to more fights, and everyone concerned is playing their cards close to the vest until they've got an opponent and a venue lined up.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now Khabib has had a meeting with Lorenzo Fertitta. The Fertittas don't own the UFC any more but when they did own it Lorenzo from time to time would do duty as a mediator when once of Dana White's deal talks was at a stalemate. So now tongues are wagging.

Thread Information