Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beetlegeuse

Thread: Jorge masvidal vs kamaru usman 2

Hughinn is offline Banned

Jorge masvidal vs kamaru usman 2

Whose got a pick for this? How do y'all think it plays out?

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Dan White is calling Usman the welterweight GOAT, which I think is just a touch hyperbolic and/or premature. But I do think the fight is Usman's to loose, and the betting odds are pretty lopsided. However, Masvidal is not a fighter to be taken lightly ... by anybody. If I were going to bet on either, I'd make a modest wager on Mas at 3-to-1 rather than Usman at 1-to-4. Because anybody can get lucky (Rockhold-Bisping II was proof of that).

This also is the first UFC card I can remember when there were two women's fights I was juiced to see. In fact, the Zhang-Namajunas fight is the only title fight with odds you could call anything like 'close.' This is only Zhang's sixth fight in the UFC (#4 was a title fight and #5 a successful defense of the belt) so she's still getting used to the temperature of the UFC's water. But if somebody doesn't throw a spanner in her works, I think in due course she'll prove herself to be the most devastating woman puncher in UFC history. And that includes Chris Cyborg and Amanada Nunes, because neither of them ever displayed one-punch knockout power. They both swarm and win TKOs with a barrage of "less-than-lethal" shots. Zhang puts bitches to sleep with one punch. I think she hit Andrade so hard the little battleship couldn't believe she was fighting another woman.

Namajunas doesn't have the power to starch her opponents but she does have long arms and cardio that doesn't stop, and one of the best ground games in women's UFC. But Weili is no slouch on the ground either, she'd just rather let her fists do the talking, and so far that plan's working out for her. I suspect Thug Rose will play stick-and-move (that strategery almost paid off for Jedrzejczyk) but she might decide to test Zhang's ground game (it definitely would make the outcome less predictable). Either way I'm expecting a barn burner. Or an early KTFO.

Shevchenko already went the distance with Nunes and only lost on a split decision, and Andrade is mostly a shorter, less-well-rounded replica of Nunes, so I don't think she's got anything for the Russian (who I also think happens to be the best technical boxer in the UFC, man or woman). In fact both she and Namajunas are grace in motion in the ring. When Namajunas fought Andrade, Rose was beating her like a rented mule until she got caught being stupid and let Andrade get control and pile-drive her, so look for Shevchenko to have a plan to avoid that fate.

OT but in the UFC's preview of 261 they show Shevchenko.going to a shooting range outside Vegas. Although she's got a brace of Glocks tattooed on her belly, in this video she was shooting Russian iron, a Mosin-Nagant bolt gun and a Makarov autoloader.

You can take the Russian out of the Soviet Union but taking the Sovietski out of the Russian? Not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlegeuse View Post
    Dan White is calling Usman the welterweight GOAT, which I think is just a touch hyperbolic and/or premature. But I do think the fight is Usman's to loose, and the betting odds are pretty lopsided. However, Masvidal is not a fighter to be taken lightly ... by anybody. If I were going to bet on either, I'd make a modest wager on Mas at 3-to-1 rather than Usman at 1-to-4. Because anybody can get lucky (Rockhold-Bisping II was proof of that).

This also is the first UFC card I can remember when there were two women's fights I was juiced to see. In fact, the Zhang-Namajunas fight is the only title fight with odds you could call anything like 'close.' This is only Zhang's sixth fight in the UFC (#4 was a title fight and #5 a successful defense of the belt) so she's still getting used to the temperature of the UFC's water. But if somebody doesn't throw a spanner in her works, I think in due course she'll prove herself to be the most devastating woman puncher in UFC history. And that includes Chris Cyborg and Amanada Nunes, because neither of them ever displayed one-punch knockout power. They both swarm and win TKOs with a barrage of "less-than-lethal" shots. Zhang puts bitches to sleep with one punch. I think she hit Andrade so hard the little battleship couldn't believe she was fighting another woman.

Namajunas doesn't have the power to starch her opponents but she does have long arms and cardio that doesn't stop, and one of the best ground games in women's UFC. But Weili is no slouch on the ground either, she'd just rather let her fists do the talking, and so far that plan's working out for her. I suspect Thug Rose will play stick-and-move (that strategery almost paid off for Jedrzejczyk) but she might decide to test Zhang's ground game (it definitely would make the outcome less predictable). Either way I'm expecting a barn burner. Or an early KTFO.

Shevchenko already went the distance with Nunes and only lost on a split decision, and Andrade is mostly a shorter, less-well-rounded replica of Nunes, so I don't think she's got anything for the Russian (who I also think happens to be the best technical boxer in the UFC, man or woman). In fact both she and Namajunas are grace in motion in the ring. When Namajunas fought Andrade, Rose was beating her like a rented mule until she got caught being stupid and let Andrade get control and pile-drive her, so look for Shevchenko to have a plan to avoid that fate.

OT but in the UFC's preview of 261 they show Shevchenko.going to a shooting range outside Vegas. Although she's got a brace of Glocks tattooed on her belly, in this video she was shooting Russian iron, a Mosin-Nagant bolt gun and a Makarov autoloader.

You can take the Russian out of the Soviet Union but taking the Sovietski out of the Russian? Not so easy.
    I agree Valentina is a bad bitch. And I also am a big fan of the classic European/ early American boxing style she has. It's not flashy or fancy, but it works. That classic euro-American boxing style is a fantastic counter to an unorthodox striker. The basic defenses like parry, slip and counter work very well against non traditional strikers.

I got rose in the other match. Welii is a bad bitch, but rose is just plain tough. She's like a nate diaz type female. She just doesn't stop. And she packs good power too. Has a good solid ground game as well.

Masvidal, game bred. I gotta pick my man here. He's the type of guy you can never count out.

Plus in my opinion usman isn't especially skilled or talented. He's simply the biggest and strongest welterweight in history. His success is because of his physical ability, not his fighting skills. I don't think he can finish masvidal. Masvidal has never been finished before.

I see usman trying to strike early to prove something, getting clipped good a few times and never really making good contact with masvidal, then going back to his grapplehumping lay and pray routine till the crowd begins to boo him. Then he'll take another chance at striking. Masvidal tko happens here. If he doesn't tko then usman gets clipped and stunned, recovers and goes back to grapplehumping to eek out the decision

Beetlegeuse is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Now that was an exciting card ... five fights over in less than 13 minutes. I was disappointed at the three fights that didn't make it out of the first round (because they loser didn't have much opportunity to give a full accounting of him/her self) but it is what it is, innit? The injury to Crute is one of the oddest I've seen in the UFC. It's a sport that has 10 ways to lose for every one way you could win.

How ironic that the man who Anderson Silva broke his leg across went on to break his leg across the man who put ultimately Silva on the trailer.

Shevchenko? Shit, you don't often see "tomato cans" get that dominated, much less a former champion. Unless they've held on too long and got too old, but Andrade is four years younger than the woman who whupped her ass. Her problem was Shevchenko, not age. Taken down seven (7) times in less than seven minutes and outstruck 32 to 10.

And now we get to see what Weili Zhang is really made of. Dumb mistake to get caught like that, but then again Thug Rose is a good one for pulling off the unexpected.
    Hughinn likes this.

A few surprises for sure.

Usman vs Covington is next at welterweight. A rematch that should have already happened.

Rose has pulled out upsets before.

Nunes vs scevechenko is next. The first one had valentina showing nunes as human and beatable as the dominant champion nunes barely pulled out a split decision with valentina having a face that looked good enough to go out clubbing afterwards. Nunes much the worse for wear.

Chandler vs olivera and poirier vs Mcgregor next

SteroidKiwi is offline New Member
    It was interesting how the fight turned out. I thought it would last a little longer.

Thread Information