2davidbostonjr1 is offline Junior Member

What Do You Think Are The Best Speed Drills For The Offseason And Summer

hey fellas hows it going its been awhile.....i was d3 now making the move to d1aa just trying to see what you guys feel are the best speed drills. I like the speed ladder a lot i dont know how much it helps but its fun and pylos are good stuff.. wondering if you guys have any other good speed drills ... and if there are any wide recivers in here you got any good stuff to hear lets hear it.

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    i dont even run long distance, i just dont rest inbetween sprints so that helps my endurance..
    4 100yd dashes
    4 60's
    8 40's
    and then i do 10 yd dashes, they are mad hard once you realize how much time it takes to go the first 10 yds of a sprint.
    and how many times do u have to run more than 10 yds a play over the course of a game? so 10 yd dashes are mad important IMO.

StayJuicen34 is offline Associate Member

speed bursts

3-60 meter sprints
    3-60 meter sprints with weight belt
    3-60 meter sprints with weight belt,and parachute
    3-60 meter sprints with weight belt, patachute, and 10lb weights in each hand

3-100 meter sprints 3(75%) 3(25%) inbettween each sprint
    2-200 meter sprints (75%)

General Strength
    3 sets of 10 push ups
    3 sets of 10 situps
    3 sets of 10 lower back
    3 sets of 10 seated medicine ball throws
    3 sets of 10 standing medicine ball throws

Cool down: 800 meter jog. this is like 1/4 of my college track sprint workout and it helps a lot for speed.
    Last edited by StayJuicen34; 04-08-2005 at 10:41 PM.

LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    I'm sure skribble will post here, he knows his shiit when it comes to speed workouts.

Keep in mind, running long distances is not going to help you, it will actually hurt you. Being fast for football is about explosiveness and quickness. Squats, powder cleans, power shrugs, sled pulls, etc. are great for speed.

thanks guys thanks for the good info id had no plans on running long distance im never going to have to run further then 100 yrds well maybe 110 if i bring out a deep punt haha if any one eles has input go for it the more info on here the better

Sprints up hill are best IMO.

If you can find a Sand Hill all the better. I have been doing this with my kids for years and they are the fastest in their classes.

Mondo

LB55blitz is offline Devote Avril Lavigne Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMondodondo
    Sprints up hill are best IMO.

If you can find a Sand Hill all the better. I have been doing this with my kids for years and they are the fastest in their classes.

Mondo
    Yea hills are awesome, try them with a sled too.

boistheman is offline Associate Member
    just like LB55 said anything w/ a sled is good. and 100's and 200's anything further than 200m is a waste IMO.

skribbble is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by number twelve
    i dont even run long distance, i just dont rest inbetween sprints so that helps my endurance..
    4 100yd dashes
    4 60's
    8 40's
    and then i do 10 yd dashes, they are mad hard once you realize how much time it takes to go the first 10 yds of a sprint.
    and how many times do u have to run more than 10 yds a play over the course of a game? so 10 yd dashes are mad important IMO.
    Ewww few comments about this. For 1, 100 yards is the Absolute max you wanna run when it comes to getting speed. You Absolutly need rest inbetween sprints I do time + 1 minute. So if it takes you 16 seconds to do a 100 yard dash, rest for 1:16... Back to back is stupid You need rest. If you're training for speed... YOu need to be as close to 100% rested before each sprint. I personally would do about 2-3 minute rest inbetween each sprint.

I would do 40's 20's and 10's if anything but actually my speed workouts I dont do any sprints over 15 yards unless im doing over speed training which i go about 40 yards...

You say 10 yards takes long? It took me 1.42 seconds a few weeks ago after i already completed a lift. Kinda disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by StayJuicen34
    3-60 meter sprints
    3-60 meter sprints with weight belt
    3-60 meter sprints with weight belt,and parachute
    3-60 meter sprints with weight belt, patachute, and 10lb weights in each hand

3-100 meter sprints 3(75%) 3(25%) inbettween each sprint
    2-200 meter sprints (75%)

General Strength
    3 sets of 10 push ups
    3 sets of 10 situps
    3 sets of 10 lower back
    3 sets of 10 seated medicine ball throws
    3 sets of 10 standing medicine ball throws

Cool down: 800 meter jog. this is like 1/4 of my college track sprint workout and it helps a lot for speed.
    I dont agree with your resistance running last and increasing the resistance. YOu should do that first and then gradually decrease the resistance or take it off completely. You dont want to finish a set of sprints Loaded ( loaded meaning the last sprints had resistance) You always want to UNLOAD aka run with no resistance the same distance. I agree with your medicine ball throws though I also have them in my workout. I also throw medicine balls with my feet. Stand up straight put it between your feet and jump and throw a ball at the wall. Catch it put it back and do again. LIke 3 sets of 5 is good

skribbble if u could post or pm me what u think is ur best speed work out that would be awsome and tons of help. thank you guys for the good info im sure its going to help many of us as summer approches

number twelve is offline All Natty...Kinda~Winning Member Transformation Contest!
    when i said the 10 yd dash takes long, i meant when you compare it to the total 40 yd dash time. so if you broke your 40 yd dash into 4 sections, 1-10, 11-20,21-30, and 31-40, you would find that the first 10 yds takes the longest amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2davidbostonjr1
    skribbble if u could post or pm me what u think is ur best speed work out that would be awsome and tons of help. thank you guys for the good info im sure its going to help many of us as summer approches
    Come on son, my services and workouts arnt free.. Alot of time and $ went into coming up with them. Results have been proven though the last 4 people i worked with ill show you there results.

kid 1 - Started at 4.9... 1 month later 4.63
    kid 2 - started at 4.8... 1 month later 4.65
    kid 3 - started at 4.87.. 2 weeks later 4.55
    kid 4 - started at 5.22... 1 month later 4.9

I have also gotten myself from a 4.5 to a 4.3 in a few months so the results have been proven.
    If you want a workout let me know ill take care of all your needs and hook you up with a speed and lifting workout. 3 day a week lifting and 2-3 days a week speed training. PM me if interested and i'll be able to discuss payment and have it all laid out on and excel spreadsheet.
    Last edited by skribbble; 04-10-2005 at 10:30 PM.

sry skribb didnt mean to offend, ill hit u up in a pm some time this week thanks for the info tho.

Quote Originally Posted by 2davidbostonjr1
    sry skribb didnt mean to offend, ill hit u up in a pm some time this week thanks for the info tho.
    Oh no offense taken I just replied to a pm to number twelve hes interested in a workout Just pm me davidboston and I'll work something out.

Thread Information