Lee_1978 is offline Member

Florence Griffith-Joyner

I've been watching the Commonwealth Games on TV which I been enjoying, but it got me thinking about Athletics in general and some of the greats of yesteryear. One Athlete in particular who I've always been fascinated with is Flo-Jo, the U.S world record holder of the 100 m and 200 m. There has been a heap of controversy surrounding her since she smashed the 100 m and 200 m records back in the late 1980s prior to the Olympic games in Seoul. She went from being a mediocre/good sprinter in the mid 1980s to a sprinting power house, with records STILL unmatched to this day. Even the disgraced Marion Jones couldn't get near those times and she was on a cutting edge designer steroid called 'the clear'.

Her critics cite doping/steroid use as the reason for her breath taking performances, but if you look at her physique in comparison to today's runners, she's tiny. But if she was doping, what would she have been doing? Was she guilty or is she merely a freak of nature?

I think the 80s were the golden age of sprinting, an era which I doubt we'll ever see replicated.

So what do people think about this and about doping in Track and Field in general?

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Bump

Thread Information