Thread: bench contest

Core is offline Junior Member

bench contest

One of my friends wanted to me enter a bench pressing contest. I never went to one so I dont know if I would even have a chance or how to enter. Can anyone post any feedback on how/where to go and what to expect? I'm on Long island in Nassau.

I'm 165lbs and benching over 2.5x my weight. Are there different weight classes or do they just take who can lift the highest percentage of their body weight?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    most of the ones ive seen are by class

if you do it good luck

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Re: bench contest

Originally posted by Core
    One of my friends wanted to me enter a bench pressing contest. I never went to one so I dont know if I would even have a chance or how to enter. Can anyone post any feedback on how/where to go and what to expect? I'm on Long island in Nassau.

I'm 165lbs and benching over 2.5x my weight. Are there different weight classes or do they just take who can lift the highest percentage of their body weight?
    They are done by class and then if two competetors in that class lift an equal amount, the one who weighs the least is declared the winner.

Thanks for the info guys. How big are the classes? Every 25lbs or so? Where would I fall in at 165?

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    if you're in nassau, you may wanna contact bev francis's gold gym in syosset. it seems that everything bb or powerlifting related goes through them. don't forget to get yourself a bench press shirt.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, here are just a few things that I hope will help. First off, you will not be able to bounce the weight. You might want to practice pausing at the bottom of your movement, the official will tell you when to press. If you do it before he says so then you won't get credit for the lift. If this is your first comp. I wouldn't reccomend a bench shirt, first see what you can do without it and then go for the shirt. I hope it helped. Good luck.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    u have to be pretty strong benching more than 412 at 165 if u can do that strict congrats man

Thanks for the replies guys. I never bounce the weight. I lift very controlled but I really dont pause. I guess I'll have to practice at that. I just lifted 405 with ease the other day. I would say 420-430 is more like my max right now. I'm going on a cruise for a week so everything is on hold for a bit. You know how those cruises can be on the body

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Core
    Thanks for the replies guys. I never bounce the weight. I lift very controlled but I really dont pause. I guess I'll have to practice at that. I just lifted 405 with ease the other day. I would say 420-430 is more like my max right now. I'm going on a cruise for a week so everything is on hold for a bit. You know how those cruises can be on the body
    Oh yes I do, cruises are amazing, just make sure you don't over do it a bit, and they have to roll you off the ship I'm jealous of ya.

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    screw bench shirts they always threw me off balance. The official will tell you when to come up and when to rack it. Make sure your back stays flat too, I seen a bunch of people get disqualified for arching their backs.

Thread Information