primodonna is offline Female Member

Knowing your competition...

Who has ever (or is now) training at a gym where at least one other person is doing the same show and will be in your weight class?
    What happens here, stays here

ann
    ann is offline Female Member
    Not me...... is someone at your gym doing the same show?? I think thats kind of cool. Especially if it can be a buddy system way of getting ready, or a little flame under your ass to better yourself from them
    TEST DOES A BODY BEST

MuscledFreakz
    FeminineMuscle
    SculptedByIron

Naturally Anabolic is offline Associate Member
    the key to victory in such a situation is sweatsuits....show as little skin as possible...keep the goods hidden so to speak

Kid Shred is offline Member
    very true NA, I always like coverin' up when it's gettin' close.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Kid Shred
    very true NA, I always like coverin' up when it's gettin' close.
    I've never understood why though....if I had a body like yours Kid Shred I'd wear as little clothing as possible. But maybe this stems from the fact I don't look like you !

I've noticed that my friend who is a comp BBer too, wears as baggy a clothes as possible most of the time. Why build a body like that not to show it off? Does the fact that you have muscles wear off after a while and you feel self-concious with people staring at you?

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    canes
    alot of my friends say you should show your body off more
    but i tell them its my body im in the gym for me and no one else
    i know whats under my clothes and thats all that counts
    its hard enough to impress yourself let alone the general public

ive also noticed that guys smaller than me (not that im big)
    like to try and pick fights w/ me i guess its an ego thing for them or something , i never understood fighting i donno i guess thats why a carry a gun jmo bro

ann- not cool at all...she's sort of a major female dog actually...luckily our training/cardio times only overlap a few times a week...there's quite a few people doing the same show though...i love seeing huge guys doing cardio for the first time in a year

NA- that is exactly what i do...she is the opposite which is fine with me

Originally posted by DevilsDeity
    canes
    alot of my friends say you should show your body off more
    but i tell them its my body im in the gym for me and no one else
    i know whats under my clothes and thats all that counts
    its hard enough to impress yourself let alone the general public

ive also noticed that guys smaller than me (not that im big)
    like to try and pick fights w/ me i guess its an ego thing for them or something , i never understood fighting i donno i guess thats why a carry a gun jmo bro
    DD you sound like one cool brother !

My friend Mike has said basically the same thing. The other night we were working out in the gym and when he would walk around the gym, the guys eyes were popping out when all they could see of him was his forearms. It was kinda cool so he had a button down shirt on top of his t-shirt. You can still tell he has a "bull-neck" from weightlifting and his chest sticks out, and his forearms are very veiny, so you can tell he is an accomplished weightlifter and bodybuilder, just no way to hide it (he has qualified to compete on the national level this year).

He has told me about the guys who always try to take him on because of his size. He's the nicest guy you'd ever meet and I don't understand why folks are like that.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Hell my gym I am the biggest guy, so I have nothing to worry about. Everyone always comes up to me and asks me what am I doing to get so big, and hell I am small. But then again, we have a small gym here, and everyone is very friendly. I am probally the oldest guy there too, but nice to see nice young ladies walking around..woohoo especially on test. get's "my unit" going..

If you're big enough, wearing baggy clothes won't matter...can't hide your traps with baggy anything...

I say if you have to wear tight clothes so people think you're big, you aren't big enough

Originally posted by primodonna
    If you're big enough, wearing baggy clothes won't matter...can't hide your traps with baggy anything...

I say if you have to wear tight clothes so people think you're big, you aren't big enough
    Very true Primodonna, he just looks like he is hiding it and that in a way actually brings even more attention to my friend.

superbeast is offline Member
    Hmm. I have to disagree Primo. I'm plenty big enough that I don't need to wear clothes that show it. I'm not impressed at all when I see a guy that is big. It doesn't take that much to be big. Now, to be big and ripped, now I'm a little impressed. I do agree with keeping covered up coming up to a show though.

Originally posted by Sicilian30
    Hell my gym I am the biggest guy, so I have nothing to worry about. Everyone always comes up to me and asks me what am I doing to get so big, and hell I am small. But then again, we have a small gym here, and everyone is very friendly. I am probally the oldest guy there too, but nice to see nice young ladies walking around..woohoo especially on test. get's "my unit" going..
    Hmmmm, Sicilian care to give us a pic of that unit going?

J/k brother....I'll bet you are the biggest mofo in your gym and the nicest guy too....you aren't foolin' anyone especially me brother

Lmg2701 is offline Junior Member
    I have a friend doing the same show with me back to back in the same class. So for two weekends in a row we'll be competitors, but it's cool we're friends before competitors though. And if I can't win I hope he does.

Originally posted by Lmg2701
    I have a friend doing the same show with me back to back in the same class. So for two weekends in a row we'll be competitors, but it's cool we're friends before competitors though. And if I can't win I hope he does.
    Very healthy attitude brother, and the best of luck to you and your buddy ! You sound like a smart guy I hope you chat with us more in the forums brother !

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    Baggy clothes are the way to go. I wont even wear a t-shirt until my bf is down to 6 or 7 %. Working out in baggy clothes, keeps the questions a bay, a loud headset helps as well. Plus many other competitiors from other facilities will come in to workout for a day hoping to get a glance at the competition. I would rather wait unitl GAME day to show off my physique. OH yeah!! and in my experience, you know the guy or gal who wears the most clothes at the competitors meeting's prior to prejudging, watch out for them because you can bet they are in shape!!- peace

Mr. Trenton is offline Associate Member
    There's about 7 or more other people at my gym that are entering the same show as me. Like 3 of these people are entering the teens division and 1 or 2 girls are entering the womens', someone is entering the masters, and including me there is like only 1 or 2 others entering the men's division but not in my weight class. Thats good for me cause I'm only 20 and the mens divsion goes from the ages of 20-35 and most people don't enter until they're like 22, so I'll be lucky to get anywhere in the show.

Originally posted by Mr. Trenton
    There's about 7 or more other people at my gym that are entering the same show as me. Like 3 of these people are entering the teens division and 1 or 2 girls are entering the womens', someone is entering the masters, and including me there is like only 1 or 2 others entering the men's division but not in my weight class. Thats good for me cause I'm only 20 and the mens divsion goes from the ages of 20-35 and most people don't enter until they're like 22, so I'll be lucky to get anywhere in the show.
    Hey just do your best bro, that's all that can be asked. You are starting young and the more experience will help you later.

Good luck !

Socio is offline Associate Member
    I tend to wear big and baggy clothes in the gym because i dont feel acomplished , im unhappy with what i see in the mirror and im sure alot of people on this board can relate to what im saying so i guess im not confident enough to wear singlets and t shirts in front of anyone because i feel that they will look at me and think i am small or not very muscular ... so i wear large shirts and pants until i guess i feel big enough for ppl to look.

its a bad mindset i know.

Kid Shred is offline Member
    For me it's a very wierd situation, I'm not really a genetically big guy by any means, I have really long and very thin bones. So if I wear a collared shirt or even semi-baggy clothes I dissappear and look like your average skinny guy. Which was great for competitions , bad for Social Scenes.

GymGryl is offline Female Member
    My friend and I had the same trainer and competed in the same show. She took 1st and I took 4th in the same weight class but I personnally believe that my trainer showed favortism towards my friend and help her out a little bit more. I will never do that again.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    baggy like primo said if your truely big, you look big not matter what you have on..

Kid Shed i can relate to small bones i think my wrist is like 6.25" around. But does help as muscle bellies fill out.

thespiritofaman is offline Junior Member
    I am doing my first show this year. In fact I will post some pics up this week. I will finish my bulking soon and will start dieting soon too. My boy works out at the same gym I do and will be doing the same show...It is going to be his first show as well. He is about 240 at 5'7 and as big as a house. I stand at 5'7 too but way only 225. We train together and it does help with that last rep. It does help and we show as little skin as possible till show time. That's the agrement.

Lmg2701 is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by thespiritofaman
    I am doing my first show this year. In fact I will post some pics up this week. I will finish my bulking soon and will start dieting soon too. My boy works out at the same gym I do and will be doing the same show...It is going to be his first show as well. He is about 240 at 5'7 and as big as a house. I stand at 5'7 too but way only 225. We train together and it does help with that last rep. It does help and we show as little skin as possible till show time. That's the agrement.
    WOW!!! That's some really big stats. Whats your bf% ?

BIG R is offline Member

Lightbulb The Silent Competitor

Iwas a bit deviouse doing this but I didnt tell anyone at the gym I was doing the same show and I knew exactly who I was going to do war with Time came and when I was at the weigh in triple coated protan. I was a complete surprise. I cleaned out the class and went straight to Pizza Hut for some beer and Pizza I made some enemies but I didnt play the same bullshit intimidation that they were playing on eachother. Now I just get these stares. Too Funny.

It was a good weekend!
    Big R.

Thread Information