Uconish is offline Member

First competition questions?

Ive finally decided to enter my first com. Im exactly 13 weeks today so i was planning on starting my diet in exactly one week. right now im 5'8 and 210lbs. I dont know my bf and dont even know what to guess. Ive never dieted for a show before and have no idea what im doing but for now i have a few questions and any help will be appreciated.

1) Do you think its a good idea if i follow mikes diet that he used for 12 weeks thats a stcky, since we are both around the same starting weight?

2) Should a include sodium in my diet or drop it?

3) Would the use of dextrose and whey be a good post workout shake?

4) Is it bade to include dairy in your precontest diet?

5) Should carbs be cycled on a daily basis, or should i lower them progressively ever four weeks like mikexxl journal?

Thats all i got for now, but sure i will have a ton more in the weeks to come.

Thanks

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    Well my first thought would be that if you don't know what a good PWO shake would be, maybe a comp right now isnt he best idea??? other thoughts on that??

~M.A.D.

timtim is offline Member
    Well my first thought would be that if you don't know what a good PWO shake would be, maybe a comp right now isnt he best idea??? other thoughts on that??
    afew of your posts really come off like you've been there and done that. do you really think its fair that everyone here supports your first attempt at a show when you are lacking a ton of experience and development and when other people ask questions like if they are ready to cycle or compete that you put a damper on their posts?

you have ZERO aas or competition experience. you might want to hold back some honest yet unexperienced opinions because you have found nothing but support for your endeavors. time to pay forward the respect you've been shown by others. seriously, knowing what a pwo shake is has no correlation to being able to compete. none whatsoever.

You really don't think so?? So if you don't know what proper nutrition after a workout is then how could your body be ready to even start dieting down for a show?? That was more my point, not so much the accidental condesention that isn't deserved or warranted on my part...

~M.A.D.

timtim is offline Member
    i dont know, many people nowadays dont even support the pwo shake as much as 4 to 5 years ago. and if he is outside the usa the whole concept could be foreign. i was here when the pwo started big with dextrose (i have had many screen names, moved a few times) and i was even here when it was FACT that creatine needed to be taken with grape juice. so i really cant say if having pwo information as basic knowledge is necessary.

i know a small number of people who eat like complete shit till 16 weeks out of their competitions and then up to 5 weeks out are still loose and they come on stage and kill it. the necessity of hardcore dieting, training, and supplementation, in my opinion, is all based on 1 characteristic - the genetic makeup of that individual. this guy could eat twinkies all day and be 6% natural. we cant tell.

i believe in knowing all you can and practicing it. but it doesnt mean it's necessary to be successful. sad fact for the normal people.

Undecided: i like your attitude. i really hope you do well on stage. couple weeks left. good luck. i will be waiting for results threads.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uconish
    Ive finally decided to enter my first com. Im exactly 13 weeks today so i was planning on starting my diet in exactly one week. right now im 5'8 and 210lbs. I dont know my bf and dont even know what to guess. Ive never dieted for a show before and have no idea what im doing but for now i have a few questions and any help will be appreciated.

1) Do you think its a good idea if i follow mikes diet that he used for 12 weeks thats a stcky, since we are both around the same starting weight?

5) Should carbs be cycled on a daily basis, or should i lower them progressively ever four weeks like mikexxl journal?

Thanks

I'm going to say Bro. Go ahead get your feet wet. I can only answer a few questions but wait for MIke, IB, SPound, Nark, Carlos , Bajan and many other to help you out.

2) Diet pop is fine until a certain number of weeks out your starting 12 weeks out so you can drink it.

4) you don't want to include dairy. Dairy is not recommened in most cutting diets. Thus not a wise choice in Pre-Contest

Now i will bump it for more responses

BUMP

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided09
    You really don't think so?? So if you don't know what proper nutrition after a workout is then how could your body be ready to even start dieting down for a show?? That was more my point, not so much the accidental condesention that isn't deserved or warranted on my part...

~M.A.D.
    It's all a learning experience bro, in all honesty when you first decided to do your show I was hesitant to throw some of these comments you way as well but in place supported you as I still do now.. it will be a great experience for him, not everyone will come on stage at a novice level shredded to the max or fully developed, it is very rare that many ppl even place in their first show.. That's why they have a place for "novices".

My suggestion to the original poster.. do a bit of research as all your questions are easily answered on this board using the search function.. after you've done this compile a list of more advanced questions that will need to be personalize to yourself.. like your diet/carb cycling/training etc, you can eithe wing it or hire someone to help you through because this is gonna be quite an experience for you to say the least.. Goodluck
    -B D
    DO NOT ASK FOR A SOURCE, NONE SHALL BE GIVEN.
    -NO SOURCE CHECKS!-

[email protected]
    If asking cycle advice Post up Stats/previous cycle experience/goals!

If asking diet advice Post Stats/current diet/goals!

“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

I B D
    AR VET

~M.A.D.
    HEy mr. olympia, i know what a good post workout shake is, but was wondering if dexrose is a good choice for precomp.

My question really is. since i really dont know what im doing, would following mikes sticky about his precomp diet be a good idea until i figure out how my body responses to different training and eating techniques?
    Last edited by Uconish; 09-09-2006 at 02:49 PM.

It'd be better than not following it at all I'd assume.. but you really need to learn how and why you are doing certain things to help you make changes when they are needed during the prep. Those stickies are very generalize and won't bring you in 100% but rather a guideline to follow.

gio86 is offline Member
    first comp. eat very clean and find out how many calories you should be eating in order to loose body fat. see how you react to it and find out by your sellf how fast of how effective does your diet help you loose fat. keep it nice and simple the first time. research and apply certain things that you can lear. good luck bro. YOU WILL LEARN A LOT FROM THIS FIRST COMP.

haha, I love how testy everyone is on here, cracks me up...

~M.A.D.

JohnboyF is offline Banned
    Testy... You made a rude comment bro. THe guy was just asking for advice.

Whatever, i just think its funny on this site how some can get away with whatever they want while other try and dice in a lil humor and get reamed...

Okay ive been practicing alittle with my diet for the past five days, any comments about what you think i should add, remove, increase, decrease, etc. would be aprreciated and you wont be hurting my feelings.

Meal 1) 9 egg whites
    1 slice fat free cheese
    1 cup of oats
    1 teaspoon of natural peanut

Meal 2) (Post workout)
    50 grams of whey protein/ 80 carbs from maltodextrine

Meal 3) 6 oz of chicken breast
    half a large sweet potato
    1 teaspoon of olive oil

Meal 4) 6 oz of chicken breast
    half a large sweet potato
    1 teaspoon of olive oil

Meal 5) 225 grams of nonfat cottage cheese (half a tub)
    1 cup of oats
    1 teaspoon of natural peanut butter

Meal 6) 7 oz of salmon
    1 cup of brocilli (sp)

Meal 7) 9 egg whites
    1 teaspoon natural peanut butter

Im planning on following something like this for the first 4 weeks of my diet, at which time on planning on lowering my carbs and fats alittle. Please let me know what you think? Am i on the right track or totally off?

Add macros/meal and/or total daily calories and macros Prot/Carbs/Fat.
    Include pictures if possible or go get your Bodyfat checked, how do we know how much progress you lack?

im buying a scale today, so starting tomorrow everything i eat will be weighed and accounted for, at which time i will post food stats.

Thanks for your help

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    Whatever, i just think its funny on this site how some can get away with whatever they want while other try and dice in a lil humor and get reamed...
    You are right, but you should know better and not follow them, when you started your thread with your pictures, I was the first to comment on it, what if I said bro you are too small dont consider a show. that would be a blow, but instead i encouraged and supported you, so do unto others as you would like them do unto you bro. you got nothing but love here, show the same to others.

Thanks M, I think the diet is getting to me, hahahah!!! JK, respect ur elders...Thanks for everything, I feel like you support me more than others, you and B D that is....

~M.A.D.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Ive finally decided to enter my first com.
    Welcome to the fold brother.

Im exactly 13 weeks today so i was planning on starting my diet in exactly one week. right now im 5'8 and 210lbs. I dont know my bf and dont even know what to guess.
    Don't 'guess'.. find out.

Ive never dieted for a show before and have no idea what im doing but for now i have a few questions and any help will be appreciated.
    Fair enough..shoot.

Honestly? No. Diet's are an individual thing. While i believe others have met success with Mike's diet.. It was, at the end of the day, compiled by Mike.. for Mike. You need a diet for you. Based on you.

My suggestions.. start a thread with all your info: bodyfat percentage... food allergies if any etc.. and get soem direction from the bros here. Better yet.. hire a contest prep guy. You've got about 12 weeks left.. The sky's the limit.

Never play with your electrolytic balance this far out.

Honestly.. sodium is something that some guys NEVER touch.

I personally don't adjust it til a couple days out from my contest.

That's another personal thing.

Personally.. i don't use 'em precontest.

I didn't supplement pwo before i hit the boards.. I used to just eat a meal 1 hour after training.. and frankly i looked better year round that way.

That depends.. on a lot of factors actually.

Heridity... response to dairy (re: food allergies) etc.

i use 'dairy' til i dunno... 3-4 weeks out from a contest.

The proximity depends on the nature of the food source as well. Since manipulating sodium is not 'important' til a couple days out.. cutting dairy because of the sodium content makes no sense.

However, cutting dairy because the sugars bloat you.. or cause histamine responses (re: food allergies) that inhibit fat loss.. makes sense

First contest prep? Honestly I'd keep carbs/calories more or less constant tru-out. I find the only variable i really need to manipulate is cardio.

I had a close friend who recently turned pro (1 of 3 friends who just turned pro). When i was starting out he took me aside and told me that the last thing he touches is his food intake.

He increases cardio... while keeping food above maintenance.. .and carbs high enough to support high intensity training. The cardio increases ones body's ability to utilise food...all the while increasing energy expenditure.. and stimulating the metabolism post-cessation... at least that's the basics of it.

Thanks
    No prob.

Gonna go tru this thread response by response.

Indulge me

Narkissos

~M.A.D.
    /ignore

Quote Originally Posted by timtim
    afew of your posts really come off like you've been there and done that. do you really think its fair that everyone here supports your first attempt at a show when you are lacking a ton of experience and development and when other people ask questions like if they are ready to cycle or compete that you put a damper on their posts?

you have ZERO aas or competition experience. you might want to hold back some honest yet unexperienced opinions because you have found nothing but support for your endeavors. time to pay forward the respect you've been shown by others. seriously, knowing what a pwo shake is has no correlation to being able to compete. none whatsoever.
    co-signed

That being said.. we'll continue:

i dont know, many people nowadays dont even support the pwo shake as much as 4 to 5 years ago.
    zackly..I don't

Didn't 4 to 5 years ago.. don't now.

i was even here when it was FACT that creatine needed to be taken with grape juice. so i really cant say if having pwo information as basic knowledge is necessary.
    Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by FaizakaFez
    I'm going to say Bro. Go ahead get your feet wet. I can only answer a few questions but wait for MIke, IB, SPound, Nark, Carlos , Bajan and many other to help you out.
    Thanks for the thread bump.. i see it now

Bump for I**; Carlos; and Mr.M... spound et al.

Great guys.. great input

im buying a scale today, so starting tomorrow everything i eat will be weighed and accounted for, at which time i will post food stats.

Thanks for your help
    I'll wait on the scale.. but looking at the outline.. just off the top of my head (i know the macros spreads of by heart... lol one of the less fancy tricks you pick over years of dieting).. the fat intake looks on the high side... Seeing that the carb count isn't 'low' either i'd guess the overall kcal count is on the high side.

Not knowing much about you personally however (metabolism; somatotype etc.), i can't look at it and 'guess' how you will react.

Looking foward to when you post the spreads tho.

It'll give us guys here a better base with which to make suggestions.

I'd also suggest you get your bodyfat percentage checked asap.

It'll go a long way in assisting guys with making suggestions.

Other info i'd like to see is how long you've been training (optional); training split; current cardio split.. .and projected cardio split

Addiditionally..Are you competing 'clean' or assisted?

Narkissos

Ive been training for 5 years. 2 years with some assistene.

I train 5 days a week back+calves
    chest+bis+abs
    tris+traps+lower back
    quads+hams+calves
    shoulders+abs

I will be using starting at 12 weeks out
    70mg Prop Ed for 10 weeks
    70mg Tren Ed for 10 weeks
    70mg Masteron Ed for 10 weeks
    I also have some clen which i will use

Havent started my cardio yet, but will start this Friday which is exactly 12 weeks out from the show date. I plan on walking on an incline starting at three days a week, for 45 min.

I will post pics of myself very soon so everyone can evalute where im at.

Crtique my diet
    Meal 1) 10 egg whites
    2 slices of ham
    1 slice of fat freee cheese
    1 cup of oats
    1 teaspoon of Natty PB
    Totals: 66 protein 60carbs 15.2 fat 716 calories

Meal 2) 5oz of chicken breast
    8 oz sweet potato
    i teaspoon of olive oil
    Totals: 48 protein 47 carbs 13 fat 558 calories

Meal 3) 5oz chicken breast
    8 oz sweet potato
    1 teaspoon olive oil

Meal 4) 1 can of tuna
    6 oz of white potato
    Totals: 36 protein 36 carbs 0 fat 308 caloreis

Meal 5) PWO shake
    54 protein 80 carbs 5 fat 580 calories

Meal 6) 7oz chicken breast
    12oz sweet potato
    1 cup green beans
    Totals: 66 protein 79 carbs 7 fat 669 calories

Meal 7) 9 egg whites
    Totals: 36 protein 0 carbs 0 fat 153 calories

Totals for the day:
    Protein 354
    carbs 349
    fat 53
    calories 3539

I plan on taapering down the carbs slowly everyweek over the coarse of 12 weeks. Feel free to comment on what needs to be adjusted.
    Last edited by Uconish; 09-11-2006 at 09:13 PM.

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    My comments/criticisms are below in caps:

Ive been training for 5 years. 2 years with some assistene.

I train 5 days a week back+calves
    chest+bis+abs
    tris+traps+lower back
    quads+hams+calves
    shoulders+abs

I will be using starting at 12 weeks out
    70mg Prop Ed for 10 weeks
    70mg Tren Ed for 10 weeks YOU PROBABLY WONT NEED THIS MUCH TREN, MAYBE 50MG ED TOPS!
    70mg Masteron Ed for 10 weeks YOU COULD EASILY GET AWAY WITH JUST RUNNING THIS THE LAST 6-8 WKS
    I also have some clen which i will use...HOW DO YOU PLAN ON USING IT? T3 COULD ALSO BE ANOTHER TOOL FOR GETTING PEELED, IF YOU WANT TO GO THAT ROUTE, OR IF YOU ARE CARRYING QUITE A BIT OF BODYFAT, BUT THAT IS A WHOLE NOTHER AVENUE IN ITSELF

Havent started my cardio yet, but will start this Friday which is exactly 12 weeks out from the show date. I plan on walking on an incline starting at three days a week, for 45 min. THAT IS A GOOD START, DONT BUMP IT UP UNTIL YOU HAVE TO

I will post pics of myself very soon so everyone can evalute where im at.
    THAT WOULD HELP TREMENDOUSLY

IT IS VERY HARD TO COMMENT ON THE BELOW DIET WITHOUT KNOWING YOUR BF% AND WIHTOUT SEEING APIC, BUT I WILL POINT OUT SOME THINGS THE BEST I CAN.
    Crtique my diet
    Meal 1) 10 egg whites
    2 slices of ham MAKE SURE THIS IS LOW FAT
    1 slice of fat freee cheese I WOUDL CUT THIS OUT PERSONALLY
    1 cup of oats
    1 teaspoon of Natty PB
    Totals: 66 protein 60carbs 15.2 fat 716 calories

8 oz sweet potato
    i teaspoon of olive oil

Meal 3) 5oz chicken breast
    8 oz sweet potato
    1 teaspoon olive oil

Meal 4) 1 can of tuna
    6 oz of white potato
    Totals: 36 protein 36 carbs 0 fat 308 caloreis

Meal 5) PWO shake
    54 protein 80 carbs 5 fat 580 calories

Meal 6) 7oz chicken breast
    12oz sweet potato THAT IS ALOT OF CARBS IN ONE SITTING AT YOUR STATS WHILE DIETING, EVEN IF IT IS A PPWO MEAL
    1 cup green beans
    Totals: 66 protein 79 carbs 7 fat 669 calories

Meal 7) 9 egg whites
    Totals: 36 protein 0 carbs 0 fat 153 calories
    I WOULD ADD SOME TYPE OF FAT HERE.

Totals for the day:
    Protein 354
    carbs 349
    fat 53
    calories 3539 THESE MACROS LOOK LIKE A PRETTY GOOD STARTING POINT, BUT ITS HARD TO TELL BASED ON THE LACK OF INFO/STATS

I plan on taapering down the carbs slowly everyweek over the coarse of 12 weeks. Feel free to comment on what needs to be adjusted.***DO NOT TAPER THE CARBS JUST BECAUSE A WEEK HAS GONE BY, ONLY TAPER THE CARBS ACCORDING TO YOUR PROGRESS. IF YOU ARE STILL GETTING LEANER ON THE CURRENT AMOUTN OF CARBS, THEN DONT TOUCH THEM!!!

my advice is to set your protein at around 1.5-1.8g per lb of bodyweight, and have a healthy amount of fats (50-70g range) and keep those macros the same throughout your prep. Then set your carbs at a healthy starting point (probably close to 300grams, will probably be less on training days without post-workout nutrition). Keep a close eye on your strength and bodyweight. Weigh yourself in the morning on empty to make sure you arre not losing more than 2-3 lbs MAXIMUM per week. If you are losing faster than this or your strength is dropping abnormally fast, you need to add some more carbs in or add in a mild carb-up day. If your not losing fast enough, then either pull out some carbs or add in some cardio. I personally add in an extra two days of cardio first, and then once i plateau in weight loss again, i pull more carbs out, and switch back and forth between these two adjustments, thsoe are the only two variables I change during my prep, unless of course that is still not working, then I may drop fats a little.

i'm not sure those macro spreads look right.

In fact i'm sure a lot of your kcal calculations are off.

Off the top of my head..here are a few that stand out:

[quote]Meal 2) 5oz of chicken breast
    8 oz sweet potato
    i teaspoon of olive

I don;t knwo if nark already answered these, as i have not red the whole thread b/c i am tryin to get to bed, but here is my responses in caps below:

Ive finally decided to enter my first com. Im exactly 13 weeks today so i was planning on starting my diet in exactly one week. right now im 5'8 and 210lbs. I dont know my bf and dont even know what to guess. Ive never dieted for a show before and have no idea what im doing but for now i have a few questions and any help will be appreciated. IT IS PRETTY RISKY WAITING TO ONLY A WEEK OR TWO B4 STARTING A PRE-COMP DIET TO ACTUALLY BE ASKING THESE QUESTIONS. IF i WERE YOU I WOULD GIVE MYSELF A FULL 16WKS OF DIETING SINCE ITS YORU FIRST SHOW, UNLES YOU ARE ALREADY VERY LEAN OF COURSE.

I HAVE NTO READ MIKE'S DIET, BUT I WILL SAY HE KNWOS HIS STUFF, BUT THEN AGAIN, THE DIET IS NOT TAILORED TO YOUR NEEDS. YOU AND MIKE ARE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE/BODY TYPES/METABOLISMS ETC ETC.

2) Should a include sodium in my diet or drop it? DONT PLAY WITH SODIUM AT ALL RIGHT NOW, YOU DON'T NEED TO WORRY ABOUT DROPPING IT UNTIL YOU ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE SHOW, IF EVEN THEN, OTHERWISE YOU WOULD BE UP SHIT CREEK WITH OUT A PADDLE AND ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS. IF ANYTHING, KEEP SODIUM HIGH THORUGHOUT THE PREP, AS IT WILL HELP FACILITATE MORE OF A PUMP AND FULL FEELING IN THE GYM, HELPING YOUR STATE OF MIND AS YOU DIET DOWN TO ETHIOPIAN-ESQUE BODYFAT RANGES

THIS DEPENDS ON THE PERSON AND THE PREFERENCE. I PERSONALLY USE A COMBINATION OF WHEY PROTEIN, AND A MIXTURE OF COMPLEX AND SIMPLE CARBS FOR MY pwo SAHEK (FLAVORED OATS OR BREAKFAST BARS)

4) Is it bade to include dairy in your precontest diet? AGAIN, IT DEPEDNS ON THE PERSON. BUT I WOUDL DEFINATELY DROP IT AT LEAST 1 MONTH OUT FROM THE SHOW, MOR ELIEKLY SOONER THAN THIS. IF YOU MUST HAVE IT, THEN INCLUDE IT IN THE BEGINNING STAGE OF YORU DIET, BUT ONCE PROGRESS STARTS TO SLOW, IT WOULD BE THE FIRST THING I DROPPED OUT OF THE EQUATION

5) Should carbs be cycled on a daily basis, or should i lower them progressively ever four weeks like mikexxl journal? IF YOU DO NTO KNWO ANYTHING ABOUT CYCLING CARBS I WOUDL STAY AWAY FORM IT FOR NOW UNTIL YOU GET MORE EDUCATED B/C FOR SOMEONE TO ADVISE YOU ON THIS, THEY NEED TO BE PAYING CLOSE PERSONAL ATTENTION TO YOU. WHICH I DOUBT ANYONE ON THE BOARD HAS TIME TO DO WITHOUT PAY. I WOUDL JSUT KEEP MY CARBS 70-100G HIGHER ON TRAINING DAYS AND THATS ABOUT ALL THE CYCLING I WOUDL DO. IF YOU FEEL OVERLY FLAT OR DEPLETED OR PLUMMETING STRENGHT THEN A CARB-UP DAY MAY BE NEEDED, BUT NOTHIGN MORE.

DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK BRO. BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMEBR, THERE ARE A MILLION WAYS TO SKIN A CAT, SO EVERYONE IS GOING TO HAVE MIXED OPINIONS AND ADVICE ON CERTAIN SUBJECTS, YOU JSUT HAVE TO PICK A PLAN AND STICK TO IT.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    i'm not sure those macro spreads look right.

In fact i'm sure a lot of your kcal calculations are off.

Off the top of my head..here are a few that stand out:

8 oz sweet potato
    i teaspoon of olive
    YES, YOU ARE CORRECT NARK, 1 TSP OF OO IS LIKE 5G OF FAT AND 5 OZ OF CHICKEN IS CLOSER TO 35G PROTEIN TOPS.

Quote Originally Posted by spound
    YES, YOU ARE CORRECT NARK, 1 TSP OF OO IS LIKE 5G OF FAT AND 5 OZ OF CHICKEN IS CLOSER TO 35G PROTEIN TOPS.
    the chicken is weighed after i cook it. thats why its a little higher than if it is raw.

i posted my pics up on a different thread if youd like to see them

Thread Information