manaman is offline New Member

Need a good cutting workout

I'm starting a cutting phase. Got the diet and supplement part down. I need some suggestions on how to work out for this phase. I'm hoping to lose about 20 lbs but trying to keep as much size as possible. I've heard everything from "don't change your workout" to "high reps, low weight" someone suggested doing one body part/day for a 5 day cycle. With all the conflicting suggestions it gets VERY confusing.

Anyone with some SOLID suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    those are all good information..

everyone is different, but with cutting normally means less carbs, thus less energy for heavier weights, thus we do lighter weights for more reps, plus the look is what we are going for..

the diet is what will control how you look... much more so than the workout..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

manaman is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    those are all good information..

everyone is different, but with cutting normally means less carbs, thus less energy for heavier weights, thus we do lighter weights for more reps, plus the look is what we are going for..

the diet is what will control how you look... much more so than the workout..
    Thanks for that bro. I'll really concentrate on the diet part then and not worry so much about changing my workouts.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    I would still try to lift as heavy as you can handle. Though this may get lower as you cut down, the sign of a good cutting diet is being able to maintain strength throughout so you know you aren't losing muscle.

CroMagnum is offline Junior Member
    i figure that it has little to no relevance to training. lift accordingly as to what gives you the best results. it all has to do with your diet and your cardio regimen. i am a very heavy individual but my diet is very strict and i have a very good cardio regimen and the weight is just melting off.

thekaydense is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    I would still try to lift as heavy as you can handle. Though this may get lower as you cut down, the sign of a good cutting diet is being able to maintain strength throughout so you know you aren't losing muscle.
    thats a terrible sign. Strength is going to drop even if you gain muscle. Your carbs are extremely low therefore glycogen stores depleted, which means no energy. This on top of water shedding out of your body which includes out of your joints. Its just not smart to lift as heavy as you can when you are cutting very lean or even for a comp. the best sign of a good cutting diet is low body fat plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by thekaydense
    thats a terrible sign. Strength is going to drop even if you gain muscle. Your carbs are extremely low therefore glycogen stores depleted, which means no energy. This on top of water shedding out of your body which includes out of your joints. Its just not smart to lift as heavy as you can when you are cutting very lean or even for a comp. the best sign of a good cutting diet is low body fat plain and simple.
    Well I have been prepping for contests for 3 years now and also have helped prep others, I have worked with coaches who have more experience lifting and training than many people on here.

If you want to believe that you shouldn't lift heavy during a cutter that's fine with me, but I know that you can absolutely lift heavy and I can point you to a few articles that justify my theories if you'd like.

Do I think you are going to break strength records while cutting? No. But you should still put max effort and go as heavy as you can keeping the reps between 5-10. I have 13 years experience lifting so I don't just throw out nonsense advice.

hurley11 is offline Junior Member
    I would say lift as heavy as you can get away with but never sacrifice form for weight. Im assuming your going to be doing cardio or else this isn't an affective cutting workout. The step mill is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hurley11
    I would say lift as heavy as you can get away with but never sacrifice form for weight. Im assuming your going to be doing cardio or else this isn't an affective cutting workout. The step mill is your friend.
    Very good point on form and I agree 100%.

rodge is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    thats why i rather do low fat diet then low carb. keeps strenght and metabolism up. and yes i've broken personal records while i was a couple weeks out from a show.

-rodge

Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    Well I have been prepping for contests for 3 years now and also have helped prep others, I have worked with coaches who have more experience lifting and training than many people on here.

If you want to believe that you shouldn't lift heavy during a cutter that's fine with me, but I know that you can absolutely lift heavy and I can point you to a few articles that justify my theories if you'd like.

Do I think you are going to break strength records while cutting? No. But you should still put max effort and go as heavy as you can keeping the reps between 5-10. I have 13 years experience lifting so I don't just throw out nonsense advice.
    absolutely bro. i know max effort should be put in. but you said "strength should be through the roof." which means better than ever to me. i just misunderstood what you meant.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodge
    thats why i rather do low fat diet then low carb. keeps strenght and metabolism up. and yes i've broken personal records while i was a couple weeks out from a show.

-rodge
    Ditto

I've been prepping for 7 years... working with other athletes for 2 years... and i always make personal bests while cutting.

They do as well.

Heck i hit my max deadlift 2 or so weeks out from contest...shredded to hell...and drug-free to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Ditto

I've been prepping for 7 years... working with other athletes for 2 years... and i always make personal bests while cutting.

They do as well.

Heck i hit my max deadlift 2 or so weeks out from contest...shredded to hell...and drug-free to boot.
    but your a ****in animal.

my joints are dry as hell. if i even try to go for a best lift if probably hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thekaydense
    absolutely bro. i know max effort should be put in. but you said "strength should be through the roof." which means better than ever to me. i just misunderstood what you meant.

Good stuff man, you are correct in that I was talking more about maximum effort saying that maintaining strength is the ideal. I have never broken prs like the gents above, but now that I'm working with a new coach and a different style to cutting we'll see how that works.

snoopy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodge

-rodge
    Yeh, rodge as usuall hits the nail on the head, I am trained by a world class powerlifter, he has the same opinion. Why cut carbs to early? be strong and look strong!

lene28 is offline Junior Member
    Personally I like my first three workouts of the week heavy and then take a day of and do the first to workouts over but lighter weight and higher reps.
    Everything heavy 6-8 reps
    mon- Chest/tris
    tues- back/bis
    wed- legs
    thur- off
    Everything done for 12-15 reps and flex every rep
    fri-Chest/tris
    sat- back/bis

rodge is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by lene28
    Personally I like my first three workouts of the week heavy and then take a day of and do the first to workouts over but lighter weight and higher reps.
    Everything heavy 6-8 reps
    mon- Chest/tris
    tues- back/bis
    wed- legs
    thur- off
    Everything done for 12-15 reps and flex every rep
    fri-Chest/tris
    sat- back/bis
    no delt/trap workouts ???

-rodge

Old man is offline Banned
    Got to hit 'em all: 45 minutes/day