Big_Dan is offline Associate Member

The final word on type of cardio

Some people go for HIIT to retain muscle and lose maximum fat. I understand that for some not only is it a pain in the ass but it just doesnt seem to work (Ill be lenient on that).

Some people, like Mikexxl walk.
    Some people run for hours on end.

Someone please enlighten me on what the correct choices are based on whatever variables come into play besides a proper high protein diet.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    For muscle preservation and fat loss at the same time without boatloads of AS:

LOW INTENSITY...enough said...XXL

williampowers is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by MIKE_XXL
    For muscle preservation and fat loss at the same time without boatloads of AS:

LOW INTENSITY...enough said...XXL
    YO MIKE,
    When you say low intensity is it 160-165 okay or is it lower then 160.
    I used do 175+ for 40-60 min and got shredded but you r statement on muscle preservation is what interests me. Although I tighten up I did seem to loose muscle and did consider the maxheart rate to be the culprate. Also mike now that the summer is over and I want to put some size on do you suggest any cardio at all and at what heart rate??
    Thanx bro
    And good luck on the shows.
    WILLIAM...

Dr. Derek is offline Member
    Low intensity for longer durations is what has always worked for me, like getting up from the couch to retrieve a meal from the fridge, 10 times a day

williampowers is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Dr. Derek
    Low intensity for longer durations is what has always worked for me, like getting up from the couch to retrieve a meal from the fridge, 10 times a day
    It's good to be genetically gifted isn't it Doc lol
    Us fat people thought we had to run for days ...

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Originally posted by williampowers

YO MIKE,
    When you say low intensity is it 160-165 okay or is it lower then 160.
    I used do 175+ for 40-60 min and got shredded but you r statement on muscle preservation is what interests me. Although I tighten up I did seem to loose muscle and did consider the maxheart rate to be the culprate. Also mike now that the summer is over and I want to put some size on do you suggest any cardio at all and at what heart rate??
    Thanx bro
    And good luck on the shows.
    WILLIAM...
    Low intensity to me is about 60% of your MHR (maximum heart rate), it's very tough to, maintain muscle mass while dieting and being clean, i think lower intensity cardio will be a good way to start.
    Should you do cardio while bulking up, that's a tough one, i have done some bulking up and doing 20min low intensity, 3 times a week, and i did ok, did not gain as quikly as i know i can if not doing any cardio, try it and see is the best advice i can give you, we're all different, but for me when i bulk up i bulk up i don't really worry about the extra fat so i just eat and grow...good luck...XXL

What about HIIT. 20mins total of 30sec jog 30 sec sprint, perhaps only 10mintues of that plus 10 minute warmup of jogging.

What are the arguments in these?

RATM is offline Senior Member
    Dan, as far as i can remember from school (with an exercise physiology degree you would think that I should be an ace with this stuff but I dont use my degree for my job and I get a lot more info on here than from any book), the number one factor for losing weight is calories burned must be greater than calories consumed. Two factors come into play. One, obviously we want to burn strictly fat for an energy source (which is physiologically impossible). Two we dont want to go long or intense enough to burn muscle while we do it. What I found works the best for me is to do 20 - 25 min of low-medium intensity ie., 60-70% in the morning before you eat anything. It has to do with the sugar/carbs in your system at 530-630 am. If you need me to explain it further, pm me and i will let you know the details. Mike Matarazzo said it best once while working out at planet fitness in pompano beach (before it was Mike Ashley's). You can't get big and cut at the same time, so Mike's message would be on par. If you want to gain size, eat eat eat, but make it clean clean clean to minimize any excess bf.

JMO

Oh yeah natural mass, I definetely do understand cal ins vs cals out make the difference. But what gives you the extra edge is what I want to find out.
    YOu see, I need to make a weight, sort of like a competition. If I win, big bucks is in it for me. So I need every natural edge possible, and while I do morning cardio and restrict my cal intake sufficiently, im still wondering who wins the cardio war, low intensity or varied HIIT intensity.

Hit me back

RATM is offline Senior Member
    you answered the question yourself by saying that you need to make a weight. Whichever type works best for you and burns the most calories per session should give you the desired results of weight loss. It sort of depends on you. If you can take walking on a treadmill for 45 min at say 3.0 mph at a 4-5% incline as opposed to 20 min of HIIT training such as 20-25 min of walk jog sprint (assuming that the calories burned are the same) then that would be fine. Trying to lose without losing muscle mass is a touchy situation especially naturally. keep us posted

DO YOU JUST WANT TO MAKE WEIGHT OR DO YOU WANT TO PRESERVE MUSCLE MASS AND LOOSE BODYFAT? BECAUSE THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally posted by williampowers

It's good to be genetically gifted isn't it Doc lol
    Us fat people thought we had to run for days ...
    I only have one body part that is genetically gifted.

primodonna is offline Female Member
    Originally posted by Dr. Derek

I only have one body part that is genetically gifted.
    Your ears don't count...sorry

Thread Information