Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gumby is offline Junior Member

Bodybuilding Has Gone Bad.

I dont care if this has been discussed before. Im trying to prove a point.

If you compare body builder of the 50's, 60's and 70's/80's to the recents ones, you notice a HUGE differance here. Back then, bodies looked amazing and hero-like. Now These competitor looks like they got an air pump,stuck it in their skin, and inflated their muscles before shows. Its that nasty. Dont you all agree? I think they should banned all those current MONSTERS and and let heros compete again. These new bodies you see dont even look like HUMAN bodies anymore. what happen to greek gods? Comparison pics below.

Heres the HEROS:

The MONSTERS

Whats really the point of bodybuilder getting tests before shows? If you compare those guys to a man in the military, its obvious that EVERY PRO BODYBUILDER is on gear. The human body cannot get that big alone.

timtim is offline Member
    the super dry and striated muscles dont look like they are full of air, they look rock hard. banning the greatest bodybuilders on the earth is ridiculous. they arent that big because of drugs alone, its because their bodies allow the drugs to take them to a level that you cant get to. thats like saying lebron james shouldnt be able to play because he has better instincts than his competitors. pretty lame. you dont like bb'ing (i dont) that is cool but dont hate on the success of others. drugs didnt get these people to this level. decades of training and eating did.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    its subjective. someone like flex wheeler is a 'monster' but he had the most asthetically pleasing physique ive ever seen.

guys like victor martinez look great in this day and age

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    its all relative, years ago arnold would have been considered a freak and a monster by some.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    I think jay looks solid that year that photo was taken

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    Although I can identify with your point, the "monsters" draw a crowd. On the other hand, I'm sure X-men have their own niche. Solution? We should call a truce and have two different competitions in one event: One of the "aesthetics" and one of FREAKS!

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    i couldn't agree more gumby

Mike Dura is offline Senior Member
    Thanks sugar britches!

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    its all relative, years ago arnold would have been considered a freak and a monster by some.
    yup and in the future people will look back on guys like ronnie, jay and victor and say the same thing that we think now about how great arnold was.

Nismo is offline Member
    FYI! Arnold took Steroids . Yeah the man has good genetics but he still took steroids. I personally wouldnt want to be as big as Jay or Ronnie, however; I respect those men for doing what they do. They didn't get like that over night. When you see someones physique, it shows how much dedication and devotion along with discipline that person has. Not like the cats that have muscle but about 80pounds of fat above it. Thats not discipline, thats lifting weights just to say you do. IMO

Nismo is offline Member
    BTW Jay has a freakin HUGE HEAD!!! I just noticed that.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    If arnold was around today he would look exactly the way these "monsters" do, why you ask?? Because the drugs taken today are different, if you put Cutler in Arnolds era he would have had the "Arnold" look. Allowing drugs are a touchy subject, When somethng new comes out to get people bigger and stronger, and the majority of people are taking them, then if u wanna keep up you gotta take them, its that simple.
    Ohh yea, its 100!!!! percent the drugs that make them look the way they do. I am not saying these people don't work hard, they doo. But without the use of drugs NONE of them would look anywhere near as big as they do

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    If arnold was around today he would look exactly the way these "monsters" do, why you ask?? Because the drugs taken today are different, if you put Cutler in Arnolds era he would have had the "Arnold" look. Allowing drugs are a touchy subject, When somethng new comes out to get people bigger and stronger, and the majority of people are taking them, then if u wanna keep up you gotta take them, its that simple.
    Ohh yea, its 100!!!! percent the drugs that make them look the way they do. I am not saying these people don't work hard, they doo. But without the use of drugs NONE of them would look anywhere near as big as they do
    And without training and genetics they wouldn't either. How many of the cats on this forum juice to the gills and still couldn't win a bodybuilding contest if their life depended on it?

I agree, but the point of that post was that if arnold was around today he would look like the "monsters" also. Its just the drugs today are different. Im sure people back in arnolds day were pissed he was on juice n thought it was unfair to the natural bodybuilders. Bottom line is these guys need to take these drugs to keep up. Bottom line.!!! and the new drugs have a diff look. I should add i prefer the "old" look over most BB'rs today.

To be a pro bodybuilder you have to assume great genetics, thats a given

brianfantana is offline Junior Member
    Hey i don't mean to sound idiotic but do you think it has something to do with the availibility of gear...

for instance, back in the 60s,70s and 80s maybe it was harder to get ahold of gear, 80s probably less so - but certainly what was available would have been limited, maybe if arnold coulda got ahold of some more beastly compounds he'd have been a bigger freak and maybe with the knowledge that's now common place but wasn't so common back then.

I think that bodybuilding itself is a freakshow, and i enjoy it - these guys are almost super human in physique and it's great to watch, the average guy looks nothing like that even with a few cycles under there belt and although yea they probably are pumped to the eyeballs they still train ungodly amounts, eat well and do all the right things - to me it's just such dedication this is the life they live - gear or no gear, they are dedicated.

Sometimes i feel disheartened that i'll never be that size... but then again i don't devote the whole of my life doing it!
    Last edited by brianfantana; 11-23-2007 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura View Post
    Although I can identify with your point, the "monsters" draw a crowd. On the other hand, I'm sure X-men have their own niche. Solution? We should call a truce and have two different competitions in one event: One of the "aesthetics" and one of FREAKS!
    Totally agree with this. We need to break BBing into an aesthetics contest stressing the look of the classical Greek statue, and also into a "bigness" contest where the freaks could compete.

I think the ideal body is something around the look of the late 1970s / early 1980s.

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    I agree - Arnold is the perfect size, he manages to look awesomely massive without looking ridiculous. I dunno what it is, some of pics he looks as huge as some of the modern day monsters, but just looks better.

However, they were all on gear, just nowadays it's truck loads of gear and all sorts of other chems as well.

sorel_C is offline Member
    i think these guys look friking nasty,, in a good way,, the look your going for you will find in natural shows,,if the bodybuilder's from the past were in times of present there is no doubt they would be amoung the nasty freaks

Pooks is offline Anabolic Member
    When u meet them in person they look a lot better..

These are just selected pics, where u just happen to think they look disgusting, but they really don't.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WelshWarrior View Post
    I agree - Arnold is the perfect size, he manages to look awesomely massive without looking ridiculous. I dunno what it is, some of pics he looks as huge as some of the modern day monsters, but just looks better.

However, they were all on gear, just nowadays it's truck loads of gear and all sorts of other chems as well.
    Its the knowledge of how to use gear properly combined with nutritional knowledge and HGH + slin

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer View Post
    Its the knowledge of how to use gear properly combined with nutritional knowledge and HGH + slin
    Aye, other chems. I say other chems as I expect there'd be a massive cocktail of stuff to go with the AS.

Blackster1975 is offline Associate Member
    welsh warrior have you ever competed mate look awesome in avator.

Bigmax is offline Retired VET~ If you dont know... ask me
    I agree in a way...i mean remember guys like berry Demey???...Bob paris..Lee labrada..Ron Love...trust me bro's..They drew a crowd too..

ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    I agree that 70s physiques are better looking than the actual ones, but we have to consider ONE thing:

Genetic Evolution.

If Arnold would have 27 years TODAY, he'd probably look even more a monster than a Cutler of a Henry.

No "heroes" bodies will be shown anymore imo

IIceMan is offline Junior Member
    Its just sport evolution. Records are meant to be broken no matter if its the most home runs or who is the biggest on stage. Its human nature to go bigger. From airplanes to buildings to cars to tv's to......you get my point

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    matter of preference i guess. I prefer the physiques without the, IMO, nasty distended ab look. The turtle tummy thing isnt aesthetically pleasing to me. I think your chest should stick out farther than your abs. I think cutler looks pretty awesome in the pic above.How far will it go (or should i say grow?) Guess we will see.

tprop is offline Associate Member
    arnold juiced.So did every1 in the 70s wow read up

jnewton86 is offline Member
    i dont know how much farther the bigness factor will progress, considering what ronnie did for the sport, the body can only get so big, until there are new drugs presented which will change the field. All crap aside, i believe all these guys deserve respect, everyone looks at them and says "STEROIDS ", they dont consider what kind of commitment is required to get to that level, not to mention dedication and sacrifice.

REMO is offline New Member

steve reeves ! 1950

what you guys think of mr reeves ?, check his best stats out 29" waist 52" chest 18 1/2 "arms, calfs 18 1/2", neck 18 1/2", all in the 50s superb! this guy got his physique without juice, wow.
    Last edited by REMO; 11-04-2008 at 08:23 PM.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    1st off nice old bump

Secondly, yes they all trained and had their diets in check and yes with the new drugs that were introduced the body was able to get bigger then what was thought to be possible. And you guys have to realize that when time goes on there will be new products/enhancement drugs out there that will allow the human body to achieve something never thought possible. Im sure back in the 70's they didnt abuse the crap out of HGH, slin, and other peptides either as they do now. Also using those substances would allow the body to want more food and also have you train just a little bit harder making it possible to grow that much more IMO.

tprop is offline Associate Member
    so what?who cares how big he was he was the best natural and not many naturals got to 18 inch.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnewton86 View Post
    i dont know how much farther the bigness factor will progress, considering what ronnie did for the sport, the body can only get so big, until there are new drugs presented which will change the field. All crap aside, i believe all these guys deserve respect, everyone looks at them and says "STEROIDS", they dont consider what kind of commitment is required to get to that level, not to mention dedication and sacrifice.
    yeah bump this, thats the first thing people always say, steroids , they dont have a clue what goes into diet,time spent in gym,dedication and sacrifice for many years,most people cant workout consistantly for over 2 or 3 months and stay out of the fast food drive thru for more than a week,with that being said i dont care for the gh gut but i cant wait to see what the monsters will look like 20 years from now.

Jakt is offline Associate Member
    i think guys like stan mcquay look good, that type of build..... all the big monster are just for the freak show, but not appealing to anyone, esp women...

but yes to each their own... and even when your natural people still call ya a juice head!! wtf!!!!

it is what it is.....

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't think anyone is questioning the hard work and genetics but rather the look. To some extent the mid sections on these mass monsters just looks sloppy. BB'ing, to me,has always exemplified a healthy lifestyle (yes even while on juice). But these days 1/2 the guys look terrible in the off season. How healthy is it ballon up to 70lbs over the weight you compete at?

thebigo5659 is offline New Member
    would you not call dexter jackson a freak? yea he was undersized compared to jay and others but i think i would label dex as a "freak." and he has one of the best midsections if not the best in the sport. not only has the sport evolved in the drugs, it has evolved in the way the competitors are perceived and judged. aesthetics are still present in pro bb'ers who are more massive than those of the 70's. just because these guys strive to be the biggest and best in the sport does not mean that u can perceive them as being unpleasant looking. its at first glance that u notice the monster size of the new generation of competitors but once u look closer and evaluate the proportion (genetics) and conditioning (discipline) of these individuals, IMO one could say that they have just as aesthetic qualities as those "heroes"
    Last edited by thebigo5659; 01-16-2009 at 03:08 AM.

planes is offline New Member
    I say the judges should just make sure all the parts of bodybuilding judging are in place.

Size proportion definition tone symmetry.

Personally, I am not a fan of Coleman or Yates.

Cutler maintains the best of what I mentioned in my opinion.

Coleman lacks in all but size. Legs are too large. Stomach is bloated and I see chest sag.

Yates was missing biceps in the back pose and his chest was too small or out of proportion.

Yea both Coleman and Yates are enormous but at what cost.

Arnold was close in size to both Coleman and Yates but maintained
    an artistic look.

reardbandit is offline Associate Member
    I think I can agree with brown ninja and planes. I mean, I'm not hating on Coleman or Cutler or any of those guys, but they are just so ridiculously big and out-sized. When I look at Arnold, it's like "man that dude is huge, but if I work hard enough I may be able to get kinda close to that." Dude when I look at Cutler, Coleman, Yates, etc., there's no way I'll ever be able to look like that. Nor do I want to.

planes is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reardbandit View Post
    I think I can agree with brown ninja and planes. I mean, I'm not hating on Coleman or Cutler or any of those guys, but they are just so ridiculously big and out-sized. When I look at Arnold, it's like "man that dude is huge, but if I work hard enough I may be able to get kinda close to that." Dude when I look at Cutler, Coleman, Yates, etc., there's no way I'll ever be able to look like that. Nor do I want to.
    Yea they are extreme. I particularly like Cutler in 2005. I thought he had at that time one of the best physiques ever.
    BUt in my opinion was ruined by the Olympia commitee. In my opinion he should have won. He then went on a mass spree and ruined it.

Armed&Dangerous is offline New Member
    imagine if Sergio was competing in this era. OMG.!. would be freaking insane!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information